Marvel Universe Thread

Year One? The Dark Knight Returns? The Killing Joke? Which one is your favourite? All Batman comic and graphic novel discussion can be found here.

Re: Marvel Universe Thread

Postby Dick » Oct 7th, 2015, 5:03 pm

The Spider-Island finale was great
Spoiler: show
Flash and the symbiote dying made me almost cry lmfao I'm a weak ass bitch

I loved the ending and Peter wanting to rename Spider-Island to Flash City :cry: :cry:

Hoping to read Invincible Iron Man and Amazing Spider-Man #1's today. Avengers #0 was great too.
Dick

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: Under The Hood

Postby BuNKiTZ » Oct 8th, 2015, 3:25 pm

Secret Wars. Loved it, as usual.

Hell yeah, rebellion!

Ultimate Reed Richards is always fun to read, because the crazy megalomaniac is just, well, insane.

Spiders doing some recon, awesome. Miles and his three week old hamburger. Erm. Not so awesome? That was hilarious, though :oldyella: Love that Valeria showed up. That was great. I hope that after Peter and Miles go back up, they'll tell her the truth or something... But, at the very least, I'm just glad to see Val's questioning her "father."

Bar Sinister. Was that our Carol? Or, some other Carol?

Namor and T'Challa. Infinity Gauntlet. POW yeah.

"Memento Mori?"
"Illuminatus."

Loved that bit.

Thanos helping out in building up the rebellion to defeat Doom only makes sense, but I loved seeing him tell Ben the truth like that. Doesn't make sense to me how he's the SHIELD, though... Like, he's only a small fraction of it, right? Or, something else?

All-New All-Different Point One was pretty neat. I like how they used Contest of Champions as the way to tell the story by looking at all the different options they had to choose from.

The Venom they have is cool. I like him cause he keeps "talking" to Peter.

Daredevil. New sidekick. Interesting so far, I guess? Nothing special yet.

But dang, Stick is back from the dead. Cool.

Avengers #0. Hell yeah.

*hugs Deadpool* AWW DEADPOOL *sniffs*

He's officially an Avenger! He says the jobs he's been doing for Steve are the best he's ever done!
(~ ̄▽ ̄)~

Kenneth Rocafort's art for the Ultimates ♥ So excited for that series!

Doctor Strange was very cool. Stephen, you dawg. Mehehe. Very excited to dive into this as I've never read a Doc Strange book before :D

Invincible Iron Man was pretty cool, too. Nothing special except for David Marquez' insanely beautiful art ♥ Last page was a surprise, but nothing mind-blowing.

Amazing Spider-Man was... surprisingly good. I thought I was going to hate it--okay, no, not really. I just thought I would despise the whole "Parker Industries" thing, especially now that it's global. Turns out, I don't not really.

Err, but, okay, still not a fan of the whole Parker gadgets everywhere thing. I suppose it's kind of cool, though. Plus, it's nice to see Peter progress like this and finally let the world see what a genius he is. AND still hold onto Uncle Ben's words. That's great.

Oh, and Camuncoli killed it. Spidey looked amazing in every scene.

That ending, though. Otto's back! Bet Gary'd be happy :P

The sneak peeks at the different Spiders were great too. I loved seeing Miguel unhinged like that. That was great. Silk... Yeah, I really liked it too, but I'm still sad that Cindy's going down this path. It's understandable, though. I just hope that Pete's not too big of a guy now to not go talk to her...
BuNKiTZ

Favourite Villain: Mister Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman R.I.P.

Postby Dick » Oct 14th, 2015, 6:42 pm

Wiccan literally looks like Sasuke Uchiha in New Avengers. Fire whoever gave that design the green-light.
Dick

Postby Peel » Oct 17th, 2015, 7:18 pm

Well this is going to get the fans going and a lot of naughty fanfics written....

I want this scene reenacted in the MCU. But not with Jane or Sam - With Thor and Steve because my wild imagination needs to be quenched.
Peel

Favourite Villain: Black Adam
Favourite Graphic Novel: Forever Evil

Postby Doudyx-X-xDubs » Oct 17th, 2015, 11:11 pm

Peel wrote:Well this is going to get the fans going and a lot of naughty fanfics written....

I want this scene reenacted in the MCU. But not with Jane or Sam - With Thor and Steve because my wild imagination needs to be quenched.

OMG THE DIVERSITY OF CHARACTERS! IT'S SO NATURAL! MARVEL IS SO AHEAD OF THE CURVE!

"I once told a man to go screw himself. Can you even imagine?"
Doudyx-X-xDubs

Favourite Graphic Novel: The Black Mirror

Postby Harvey Bullock » Dec 6th, 2015, 11:39 am

I love how Nick Spencer is pissing off all the neo-con pseudo-fascist morons who use Captain America's image to trumpet intolerance. This new series is awesome and is a perfect embodiment of Captain America's values to a t.

Thoughts on All New, All Different Daredevil anyone? I'm not really liking the shift of Matt from defence attorney to prosecutor because I feel as though it loses some of the nuance and complexity the character has. That said, I did enjoy the first issue more than I thought I would.

Harvey Bullock

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: DC: The New Frontier

Postby BuNKiTZ » Dec 6th, 2015, 5:04 pm

Harvey Bullock wrote:Thoughts on All New, All Different Daredevil anyone? I'm not really liking the shift of Matt from defence attorney to prosecutor because I feel as though it loses some of the nuance and complexity the character has. That said, I did enjoy the first issue more than I thought I would.

I enjoyed it, although it might mostly just be the art. Not too fond of how the story feels, so far, at least.

On the other hand, despite the huge change in status quo, I am, surprisingly, loving Amazing Spider-Man. I really thought I'd dislike it, but it's pretty damn great. I'm enjoying it a heck of a lot more than the last volume, that's for sure. I suppose it only makes sense. I used to talk about how I wanted Peter to reach his full potential and whatnot, that it was a waste how he focused on his superheroics rather than on his science. Now, that's what he's done. In a way. Yeah, it's not how exactly how I would have wanted it, but it's pretty close, I guess. And he's still the same Peter. Just, with a lot more money now.

Spider-Gwen's been amazing too. I don't know what it is, but the book is so much better than the previous one.

Deadpool, sadly, isn't as enjoyable as the last book...

Hercules was a great, big surprise. I fucking love that book.

The Totally Awesome Hulk was, well, awesome. I love that Frank Cho is on art duties because Frank Cho's art rocks. I also love it cause he's drawing Amadeus Cho :oldyella:
BuNKiTZ

Postby Harvey Bullock » Dec 12th, 2015, 12:50 pm

Harvey Bullock

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: DC: The New Frontier

Postby Dick » Jan 5th, 2016, 4:19 pm

I am not emotionally ready for tomorrow's Spider-Man/Deadpool #1 :cry:
Dick

Postby BuNKiTZ » Jan 5th, 2016, 4:58 pm

Dick wrote:I am not emotionally ready for tomorrow's Spider-Man/Deadpool #1 :cry:

I was just going to message you to tell you, upon realizing, that it's out tomorrow :oldyella:

Maaan. I sure hope it's good. The current Deadpool book's not as fun as I'd hoped. Prefer the previous book so far.
BuNKiTZ

Postby Dick » Jan 5th, 2016, 5:38 pm

BuNKiTZ wrote:
Dick wrote:I am not emotionally ready for tomorrow's Spider-Man/Deadpool #1 :cry:

I was just going to message you to tell you, upon realizing, that it's out tomorrow :oldyella:

Maaan. I sure hope it's good. The current Deadpool book's not as fun as I'd hoped. Prefer the previous book so far.

IT'S BEEN SIX MONTHS OF WAITING AND I'M STILL NOT EMOTIONALLY READY FOR IT :cry:
Dick

Postby BuNKiTZ » Jan 13th, 2016, 6:14 pm

Secret Wars is finally over! And what a fantastic end it was for Marvel's First Family! :D

Although, it really is so weird how All-New All-Different Marvel already started before Secret Wars ended. Still, it was a great story. Definitely one of my favourite Marvel events. They did not shit on the Fantastic Four like I assume plenty of people believed would be the case.

I expected that the rest of the Fantastic Four/Future Foundation aside from Johnny and Ben (who are the only two we know to be in the All-New All-Different Marvel Universe) would be dead. They were gone. They have this memorial statue thing in the Baxter Building or whatever Peter renamed it to if he renamed it. And, I don't know, where the POW else would they have been if Johnny and Ben were alive, right? Oh, and I think they mentioned something about Reed and Sue mourning? There were some rumors about that being the case in ANAD.

But no. Thankfully, that's not the case at all. The family survived. They're all doing well. Reed is now, God, in a way. Although, it's sort of a collective. Okay, not necessarily. Anyway. Owen Reece, Molecule Man, has given Reed his powers--that which Doom previously held. Or, rather, Reed is directing Molecule Man's powers. Molecule Man, who serves as this infinite source of power. A "human repository of unlimited power," as Val says. Franklin, on the other hand, uses his powers to dream new universes. Reed, using Owen's powers, throws these "ideas" into their own realities. At the same time, they slice of a piece of Owen to serve as an anchor for each of those new realities. This not only helps maintain those new universes, but helps Owen become whole again after Doom killed off all those different Molecule Men in order to stop the whatstheirnamepeople. The Builders! Yeah. Those guys.

Now, not only is the Future Foundation (I'll just refer to them as that as it fits the purpose of the Future Foundation more--what they're doing now, I mean) creating the new Multiverse, they've also decided that all these realities need to be cataloged. So they're creating the Multiverse and exploring it at the same time to be recorded and stuff. They're doing totally incredible science. No more superhero stuff, just science. Which sounds really great.

As for why Ben and Johnny aren't with them, Sue says that they shouldn't be because their stories are far from over. I guess. I don't like how that bit kind of implies that this is the end for the rest of the family, when it clearly is just the beginning. Maybe it's just to say that they've still got plenty of time to be superheroes, whereas the rest of the family's taking a break and doing this thing to do science instead. I don't know.

But yeah. I just really love this. It feels so nice and warm and fuzzy for the family to get to do this. It's just a big shame that Ben and Johnny aren't with them, but I'm fine with that.

And a side note: See, this is why Reed will be a better "god" than Doom. He's got the support of his entire (minus Johnny and Ben) family. And, well, he's a good guy. Doom, as much as I love the guy, is an egotistical supervillain.

TL;DR:

The family is alive and well. They're doing science. Creating, exploring, and cataloging the Multiverse. POW yeah, science!

As for the rest of the issue, we got a bit of T'Challa and a bit of Miles.

T'Challa battled Doom in an epic "god vs. god" kind of battle. One of which was only "god" by wielding the Infinity Gauntlet. But yeah. It was a distraction thing, and it was pretty cool but only in the background. I mean, we see the fight. Not all the details, but it wasn't the main attraction.

Anyway, yeah. T'Challa later wakes up in Wakanda where we find out that in the new Marvel Universe, they're leading Earth into space. They're using their advanced technology to explore space, etc. Which, now that I think about it, is kind of weird since they've already made contact with alien races several times before. But now, I guess they'll do it in an official capacity. This is pretty exciting, and I hope it actually does stick because it reminds me of Star Trek and Mass Effect, haha. But so far, I haven't seen much signs of it happening aside from The Ultimates.

Moving on. Miles. Having a hamburger with him, which he previously gave to Molecule Man who was asking for food, he was generously rewarded for it. If you've read the ending of Ultimate End (shit book, that one, by the way ~_~), then you know that Miles' mom is alive and well in the new universe. This is because Owen "owed" Miles one for the food. Pretty damn great exchange for a hamburger, right? As much as I dislike the cop out move of bringing her back, the reasoning behind it is pretty nice, I guess. Although, to be fair, they didn't need to have done it at all. I suppose, in the end, it really was just a reward that they (Marvel) wanted to give Miles for this entire journey he's gone through from his introduction all the way to ANAD Marvel.

He has a nice, short little conversation with Peter where the latter checks up on him and stuff. Then they both jump off the building and swing together, as Spider-Men. It's really cool, and I really, really hope we see Peter and Miles interacting with each other soon. Peter should give Miles a scholarship or something. Or a job. An internship, perhaps. Yeah.
BuNKiTZ

Postby MaxSchreck » Jan 19th, 2016, 1:33 am

Has anyone read the Visions?

"You may have invented being Robin , but I perfected it ." - Damian Wayne
MaxSchreck

Postby Dick » Feb 4th, 2016, 8:50 pm

MaxSchreck wrote:Has anyone read the Visions?

It's amazing! It's one of the best series so far and at times I forget it's a Marvel book I'm reading

-- Feb 4th, 2016, 8:48 pm --

Rouge and Gambit in Uncanny Avengers #5 had me screeching until the final page when
It turns out it's Red Skull

FFS
Dick

Postby MaxSchreck » Feb 4th, 2016, 10:10 pm

It's amazing! It's one of the best series so far and at times I forget it's a Marvel book I'm reading

Alongside Daredevil its the first Marvel book I want to read regulary. Not even Miss Marvel was this good.

"You may have invented being Robin , but I perfected it ." - Damian Wayne
MaxSchreck

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Discussion