Marvel Universe Thread

Year One? The Dark Knight Returns? The Killing Joke? Which one is your favourite? All Batman comic and graphic novel discussion can be found here.

Re: Marvel Universe Thread

Postby BuNKiTZ » Jul 1st, 2016, 12:05 pm

Captain America was great. Not what I predicted, but very happy with it nonetheless. Great work from Spencer as usual. The art was also just beautiful. When I first saw a preview for the first issue, I didn't like the art so much, but when I read the actual thing, I fell in love so quickly. It's just gorgeous.

Also, I've got a feeling this wasn't meant to be issue #2... This is an issue that could have easily been placed later in the arc, as it just reveals some backstory stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if they bumped this up in response to the backlash. Although, I'd also be surprised if they did actually do that cause they obviously knew about the backlash. Then again, plenty of comic book readers went nuts, even though they should know more than anyone that they shouldn't judge a story based on its first issue.
BuNKiTZ

Favourite Villain: Mister Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman R.I.P.

Postby MaxSchreck » Jul 1st, 2016, 12:35 pm

Yeah, usually issues like that only appear when the arc is half finished. Felt like they gave away too much information too fast instead of just having the plot progress in the normal pace. Would have prefered it if they had left the people spreading this controversy on tenter hooks. But maybe Marvel really feared for they would sell less books that way.

"You may have invented being Robin , but I perfected it ." - Damian Wayne
MaxSchreck

Postby Mani-Man » Jul 1st, 2016, 12:53 pm

Yup, it absolutly felt like a later issue.
But then, they knew what kind of Reaction the first issue would get...so you never know.

Its been a month now or so since issue 1 came out and there is not much backlash or attention any longer to this, so they could have played with this a bit longer.
Dragging it out a bit longer would have been a interesting idea, but for Marvel there is a lot on the line.
Dont know if they can risk the potential negative effects of this.
Mani-Man

Postby MaxSchreck » Jul 1st, 2016, 1:44 pm

I think its sad that this caused so much backlash in the first place. Espacially the argument that this is disrespectful to Jack Kirby. He probably would have been okay with a plot like this. Things have changed since WWII. How Hydra is using Caps reputation as an American Hero for its own purposes feels a lot more relevant than his usual stories if you know what I mean.

MaxSchreck

Postby Mani-Man » Jul 1st, 2016, 2:11 pm

Yup.

What pisses me off even more is that everybody found those "Hail Hydra" Memes a year ago or so, extremely funny.
It was in and people didnt had any problem with it and treated it like a joke, as if being Hydra is so cool.
But this story suddenly was a attack on Jewish people on people who suffered in war and all that.
Get out of my face with those god damn double standards.

I always thought that Captain America and Hydra is a great possibility to show how deceptive and sneaky Racism in our world is today.
Mani-Man

Postby MaxSchreck » Jul 1st, 2016, 2:48 pm

I always thought that Captain America and Hydra is a great possibility to show how deceptive and sneaky Racism in our world is today.

Not just racism, the darker side of American/European culture in general.

This backlash reminds me a lot of how some people reacted when Superman renounced his U.S. citizenship briefly in Action Comics #900:

http://theiowarepublican.com/2011/super ... t-the-u-n/

Nowdays it seems already strange to read an article by someone with strong conservative values that portrays (illegal) immigrants somewhat positively.

MaxSchreck

Postby BuNKiTZ » Jul 12th, 2016, 3:54 pm

So I totally forgot that there's going to be another Marvel NOW! relaunch soon, which is why in the past two weeks or so, I've been pleasantly surprised by the new things being announced, such as the new ongoing Jessica Jones book by the original creative team of Bendis, Gaydos, and Mack.

I'm pretty damn excited for that, but I worry that they might write her differently and make her more like her MCU counterpart. Hopefully, as this is the original creative team, that won't be the case and they'll simply continue their work with her.

Anyway, today has been a pretty cool day because a lot of the upcoming Marvel NOW! books have been leaked. I guess it's not so cool for Marvel, but for somebody who's looking forward to finding out about all these books, such as me, then yeah, it's cool. Some books are getting relaunched, others continuing with new story arcs, and then there's a whole bunch of new books too, of course.

Before going to that, though, a bunch of books have been officially announced. Aside from Jessica Jones (which was the latest announcement), Marvel also announced U.S.Avengers, Thanos, Cage!, Mosaic, Great Lakes Avengers, Infamous Iron Man, and Unworthy Thor. Most important among those is the first title, because it comes with Red Hulk wearing very American shorts and with a beautiful mustache and sunglasses. (I even spelled moustache wrong just to go with the American-ness of it~) The book's also got Paco Medina on art, so that's pretty cool. I'll probably give it a try. Jokes aside, I'm most looking forward to Unworthy Thor and Infamous Iron Man.

As for the leaked list of new books:

• Avengers
  • Occupy Avengers
  • Ultimates(2)
  • The Unstoppable Wasp
  • Venom
  • Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows
  • Doctor Strange: Sorcerers Supreme
  • Star-Lord
  • Slapstick
  • Solo
  • Foolkiller
  • Prowler
  • Gamora
  • Iron Fists
  • Kingpin
  • Bullseye
  • Hawkeye
  • Death of X
  • The Clone Conspiracy
The new Avengers book's roster includes Vision, Captain America (Sam Wilson), Thor (Jane Foster), Hercules, Wasp (Nadia Pym), and what might be the Infamous Iron Man... (Victor Von Doom) My biggest takeaway from that roster is that Hercules is in it and that just makes me very happy for the guy. Also interested to see more of Nadia.

Occupy Avengers looks to be a Hawkeye (Clint Barton) book continuing Clint's defense of the people, like he did in Fraction and Aja's run with his building's tenants.

I'm very excited for a new Venom book, especially since this one's dropped the "Space Knight" subtitle. Seeing as Flash Thompson is going back to Earth in the current story arc and Mania is finally being brought back, I think it's safe to assume this is going to be either Flash or... POW, I forgot the name of Mania's host. Oh well.

Renew Your Vows looks like, well, Renew Your Vows. Complete with not-Mayday and all. There have been hints in recent comics of One More Day being undone, and this is just adding more fuel to that... I don't want it to just be a separate universe thing, though, of course. Please, bring Peter and MJ back together in the 616, and with Mayday. Not not-Mayday.

Iron Fists will feature both Danny Rand and Pei, the new Iron Fist at the end of... uhh, I keep forgetting the title of that mini-series from last year. Or, was it the other year? The one by Kaare Andrews. Anyway, it continues from the mini-series, obviously, and I'm just super excited that there's going to be a new Iron Fist book. It's technically not a solo... but it is if you're just referring to the Iron Fist identity. I'm happy with Power Man & Iron Fist, but I wanted a solo Iron Fist book and this is it. Also, not a fan of the art in the former.

As for the others, well, I have no idea why the POW Ultimates is getting a relaunch, but I like that the name is... well, like that. It's a 2 superscript, not in a parenthesis. That's just how the news sites are referring to it. The Unstoppable Wasp is Nadia Pym, so that's cool. The cover art's really nice. And... very strangely, three of Deadpool's mercs are getting their own books. Just like Unbelievable Gwenpool, it's a book nobody asked for. Rather, books, nobody asked for. Prowler's getting a book, though, so that's pretty cool. Gamora's finally getting the book they announced God-knows-how-many years ago, and with Marco Checchetto's art! Kingpin and Bullseye should be interesting. Pretty surprising too. Lastly, there's Hawkeye, which will be Kate Bishop.

Returning books include:

• Black Panther
  • Black Widow
  • Captain America: Sam Wilson
  • Captain America: Steve Rogers
  • Daredevil
  • Deadpool
  • Deadpool & The Mercs for Money
  • Doctor Strange
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • The Mighty Thor
  • Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur
  • Moon Knight
  • Ms. Marvel
  • Patsy Walker A.K.A. Hellcat!
  • Power Man & Iron Fist
  • Punisher
  • Silk
  • Silver Surfer
  • Spider-Gwen
  • Spider-Man
  • Spider-Man 2099
  • Squadron Supreme
  • Thunderbolts
  • The Totally Awesome Hulk
  • The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl
  • The Unbelievable Gwenpool
  • Uncanny Avengers
  • Uncanny Inhumans
Oh, and that new Nova book? Richard motherfucking Rider.
BuNKiTZ

Postby DarkFlux » Jul 12th, 2016, 7:17 pm

Nothing particularly excites me tbh. Though I may pick up a random few on the day of release.

Getting pretty fed up of the big 2 in general really. Just waaay too many relaunches in recent years for my liking.
DarkFlux

Favourite Villain: Ras Al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Knight Returns

Postby BuNKiTZ » Jul 12th, 2016, 7:41 pm

DarkFlux wrote:Nothing particularly excites me tbh. Though I may pick up a random few on the day of release.

Getting pretty fed up of the big 2 in general really. Just waaay too many relaunches in recent years for my liking.

I'm perfectly fine with the relaunches. It's exciting when there are new books and stories, as I am excited now, and it's good for new readers too. Seeing "#1" makes it much more welcoming and would likely increase sales, and I really don't mind it much if the numbers aren't going so high anymore. I'd prefer if it did, but it's not a big deal for me. And I suppose I don't really mind if the book I'm reading will only be 12 issues or so, or maybe a story arc or two. As long as the stories are fun and enjoyable then I think I'll be okay with that.
BuNKiTZ

Postby DarkFlux » Jul 12th, 2016, 8:54 pm

Sure, i get that and im not hating on renumbering purely on principle. And hell, i prefer self contained runs with a set ending to potentially "ongoing" series. I just feel the relaunching has become so frequent that between that and the constant enforced event tie-in issues many creators simply arnt getting that opportunity to tell the story they wanted. Or they barely even have the time to find their groove before theyre off the book for the next big relaunch.

Marvel in particular are in an endless loop of "Get excited for this!" "Now this!" "All-New Now this!" that it it ceases to be engaging after the last big thing turned out to be pretty inconsequential.

As for the sales boost - i undestand it from that perspective but it seems to be a pretty short term thing. I think in the long run readers simply arnt going to stick around because why read a series that will be dead in 12-20 issues and be available in trade in 2 months, Hardcover in 3, Omnibus in 6?
DarkFlux

Favourite Villain: Ras Al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Knight Returns

Postby Dick » Jul 13th, 2016, 10:13 am

They cancel Spider-Man/Deadpool and I will choke a bitch :) :) :)
Dick

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: Under The Hood

Postby BuNKiTZ » Jul 13th, 2016, 11:06 am

DarkFlux wrote:Sure, i get that and im not hating on renumbering purely on principle. And hell, i prefer self contained runs with a set ending to potentially "ongoing" series. I just feel the relaunching has become so frequent that between that and the constant enforced event tie-in issues many creators simply arnt getting that opportunity to tell the story they wanted. Or they barely even have the time to find their groove before theyre off the book for the next big relaunch.

Marvel in particular are in an endless loop of "Get excited for this!" "Now this!" "All-New Now this!" that it it ceases to be engaging after the last big thing turned out to be pretty inconsequential.

As for the sales boost - i undestand it from that perspective but it seems to be a pretty short term thing. I think in the long run readers simply arnt going to stick around because why read a series that will be dead in 12-20 issues and be available in trade in 2 months, Hardcover in 3, Omnibus in 6?

Oh, that's a fair point. I hope that's not the case, and I'd like to think that it isn't, but we won't really know unless somebody speaks up and says that that's how things are. Although, I don't know, the creators seem happy with their work.

I know Dan Slott's not getting limited by anything :oldyella: (since, you know, he's still working on Amazing Spider-Man and Silver Surfer)
BuNKiTZ

Postby Batwoman » Jul 25th, 2016, 9:07 pm

Black Widow and Moon Knight are the best of Marvel right now. The rest of the company seems to be a pile of shit and talented and not-so-talnted creators desperately craving for the next big ''WTF'' storyline or change to a character. Civil War 2 and Secret Wars seem to be an indicator that these fools are running out of ideas.
The super-hero genre in comic is dying, but hopefully DC saves it with Rebirth,which has been pretty decent so far.
Thanks TheCat for the signature and the avatar !
Formerly known as Red Robin 1999
Batwoman

Favourite Villain: Doc Hurt and Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The long Halloween

Previous

Return to Comic Discussion