DC Rebirth

Year One? The Dark Knight Returns? The Killing Joke? Which one is your favourite? All Batman comic and graphic novel discussion can be found here.

Re: DC Rebirth

Postby BuNKiTZ » Jul 23rd, 2016, 1:27 pm

Superman #3 was a lot of fun for me because I did not know it was drawn by Jorge Jimenez ♥ And yeah, it was really fun too. Enjoyed Batman #3 a lot too. Hell, Finch's art looked good this time. That was a big surprise.

Spoiler: show
I worry for, erm, okay, I already forgot their names... But, you know, Gotham and Gotham Girl. Cute little origin story, and I hope they stick around cause I like them, but... I don't think they will :(
BuNKiTZ

Favourite Villain: Mister Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman R.I.P.

Postby Batwoman » Jul 26th, 2016, 9:16 pm

DC did a fine job with The New 52, an OK job with DC You, and so far, they've been killing it with DC Rebirth.

Curious on how the Watchmen stuff will play out. I still don't think that Dr.Manhattan is the one behind everything or the big bad. I think that the reveal on Rebirth served to decieve us and at the same time, to show us that on the near future we may see a DC version of Secret Wars, where every single Earth from Watchmen to the DCAU to the Millerverse will take part. Maybe these are the secret Earths labeled as unknown in The Multiversity Guidebook
Thanks TheCat for the signature and the avatar !
Formerly known as Red Robin 1999
Batwoman

Favourite Villain: Doc Hurt and Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The long Halloween

Postby MaxSchreck » Jul 28th, 2016, 5:06 pm

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Batgirl this time. Much better than the previous run if you ask me.

"You may have invented being Robin , but I perfected it ." - Damian Wayne
MaxSchreck

Postby Dick » Aug 2nd, 2016, 1:49 pm

RHaTO Rebirth was rad. Can they just keep it like that and not bring in Artemis and Bizarro that would be great
Dick

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: Under The Hood

Postby Damian_Wayne » Aug 2nd, 2016, 3:41 pm

Dick wrote:RHaTO Rebirth was rad. Can they just keep it like that and not bring in Artemis and Bizarro that would be great

fav
"I wasn't taught to fight fair. I was taught to win."
Damian_Wayne

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman: Reborn

Postby Mani-Man » Aug 17th, 2016, 12:10 pm

So, did anybody read All Star Batman?

It was pretty bad.
The Art is wonky, the character design is weird.
But the writing is the worst of all.

Seems like snyder continues with the tradition of All Star Batman being an asshole.
I know snyder likes his self created sidekicks and all...but acting as if everybody else is trash, rubbed me the wrong way.
That is absolutly not okay.
This batman acts as if every robin was a complete failure and his sidekicks are so great.
Mani-Man

Postby DarkFlux » Aug 17th, 2016, 6:42 pm

Really liked All Star Batman...
Ill probably follow that over Batman or Tec.

And Deathstroke was great too. Happy to have Priest back doing comics.
DarkFlux

Favourite Villain: Ras Al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Knight Returns

Postby MaxSchreck » Aug 17th, 2016, 8:07 pm

This batman acts as if every robin was a complete failure and his sidekicks are so great.

Really? Maybe I have to reread the issue, but thats not the impression I got. Its more like each Robin has his individual strenghts and weaknesses. And Duke is supposed to learn from those.

MaxSchreck

Postby Mani-Man » Aug 17th, 2016, 9:29 pm

MaxSchreck wrote:

Really? Maybe I have to reread the issue, but thats not the impression I got. Its more like each Robin has his individual strenghts and weaknesses. And Duke is supposed to learn from those.

Really? Are you sure you mean all star batman issue 1?

Where he said that batman doesnt need a robin and that he tries something different than robin with duke...something better.
Mani-Man

Postby MaxSchreck » Aug 17th, 2016, 10:26 pm

Mani-Man wrote:
MaxSchreck wrote:

Really? Are you sure you mean all star batman issue 1?

Where he said that batman doesnt need a robin and that he tries something different than robin with duke...something better.

Yes.

I think he also said Robin doesn´t need Batman.As demonstrated by Damian. Which is a huge compliment. Reminds me what a friend of mine said a long time ago. He thought the idea of a "sidekick" is hopelessly outdated and talked about how Marvel has independent young heroes instead. Miss Marvel, Spider-Man, Nova etc
As for Duke being different... well, he says he "hopes" he can create something better than Robin. As Nightwing, Red Hood and Red Robin were the next step in the careers of his former partners I suppose. Its all about condensing and intensifying the training. Thats why he developed the "Cursed Wheel". The other Robins aren´t necessarily "flawed" since Damian was told in Batman and Robin Eternal that even though he is too impulsive a lot of the time this might also save him in the future. Which than sort of happened when Dick was too depressed to lead the team and Damian was the only one who could snap him out of it by slapping him, which no one else would have dared.

But I do believe Scott Snyder is doing this at least partially to avoid having to write one of the Robins. He admitted he doesn´t like writing Damian because he thinks a father who allows his child to become a vigilante is irresponsible. He clearly prefers inventing new side characters like Duke and Harper rather than using the established ones.

MaxSchreck

Postby BuNKiTZ » Aug 18th, 2016, 1:26 pm

Batman #5 was cool again. Surprised that I'm actually not cringing at every page now with David Finch's art. It's like, it's almost like it's not bad anymore.

Not sure how to feel about the monologue at the end, though. I mean, are they seriously doing another future thing? It's just narration, I get that, but still.

Superman #5 was great too. Not fond of the art so much, however. I generally like Doug Mahnke's art, but for the past year or so, his faces have been pretty weird-looking.

Was wondering why the Hellbat suit was on the cover. I hope they address Lois' use of it in the following issue, because that shit's supposed to kill people. Did not expect Superman to get absorbed like that, but I guess I like how he got out. I definitely enjoyed seeing Jon and Lois fight the Eradicator together like that. That was fun.

Detective Comics is probably my favourite book so far. I really like the team dynamic. Clayface being a member is weirdly nice and fun, and of course I'm extremely happy with Tim and Steph.

Nightwing's really cool too, although the artist draws faces kinda weirdly at certain angles. I like, erm, Talon? Is that his name? No, I don't--ah, Raptor. Yeah. He's interesting. Haven't read the latest issue, though.

I'm also really enjoying Red Hood and the Outlaws. My only complaint so far is Jason's sleeves. I like that they're rolled up, but they shouldn't be when he's out on a mission or something. Do it when he's taking a break at a bar or something. Otherwise, it just seems careless of him. Art's fucking gorgeous too.

Superwoman was fucking awesome. Two twists I did not see coming at all. They were great, and it was a fun and very interesting first issue.

I really hope Lois isn't actually dead. Although it would be a perfect fit, what with New 52 Clark gone and post-Crisis Clark and Lois being here now. But it would be a real shame because her costume's really cool and I like the dynamic she has going on with Lana, and I like her as a character too. Post-Crisis Lois is different from classic Lois now since she's a mother and isn't a reporter anymore, after all.
BuNKiTZ

Postby Damian_Wayne » Aug 20th, 2016, 7:20 pm

Batman 5 was really interesting. Loved the bit where Alfred dressed up :oldyella:
i agree about the future thing tho ): do not like

I liked Nightwing too :D
i love how barb has bee in pretty much every issue :D
"I wasn't taught to fight fair. I was taught to win."
Damian_Wayne

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman: Reborn

Postby Batwoman » Aug 21st, 2016, 12:18 am

DC Rebirth continues to be awesome. However, I'm beginning to drop some titles. Green Lanterns, Hal Jordan and the GL Corps, New Superman and Justice League are beginning to bore me. Also, Nightwing may be joining this list pretty soon. Superman, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Titans, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow are still only ones which I really, really enjoy. King's Batman has been consistent, but the story and art are not captivating enough. I'm keeping up with it just because it is Batman's book. With the rest of the titles it is still too early for me to completely judge them. Anyways, even the lower quality books ( in my opinion ) are quite enjoyable. Great job, DC!
Thanks TheCat for the signature and the avatar !
Formerly known as Red Robin 1999
Batwoman

Favourite Villain: Doc Hurt and Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The long Halloween

Postby Dick » Aug 21st, 2016, 3:30 pm

I'm really enjoying Batman, Suicide Squad, Superwoman, Deathstroke and Red Hood and The Outlaws (lmao) so far. I've given everything so far a chance but the majority of them are just boring they've been dropped.

The art for RHaTO is beautiful but I just know Lobdell is gonna POW it up AGAIN. Why is this man employed please make him stop.

I'm torn with The flash. Godspeed is my life but I'm not really liking the current storyline with
Central City being full of new speedsters ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Dick

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: Under The Hood

Postby BuNKiTZ » Aug 22nd, 2016, 8:20 am

Dick wrote:I'm really enjoying Batman, Suicide Squad, Superwoman, Deathstroke and Red Hood and The Outlaws (lmao) so far. I've given everything so far a chance but the majority of them are just boring they've been dropped.

The art for RHaTO is beautiful but I just know Lobdell is gonna POW it up AGAIN. Why is this man employed please make him stop.

I'm torn with The flash. Godspeed is my life but I'm not really liking the current storyline with
Central City being full of new speedsters ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Who knows? Maybe, just maybe, Lobdell won't POW up. It's unlikely, but not impossible. And hey, if ever, we might at least have one good story arc before it all goes to hell? :oldyella:

---

Also really enjoying the Green Lantern books so far. Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps has gotten me hooked on the GL mythos again, and the premise is pretty damn interesting too. It helps that the art for the first two issues has been fucking fantastic.

Green Lanters is a lot of fun too, but I've become less excited now that the art has changed and isn't the same as that of the first two issues'... Still, buddy space cop with Jessica and Simon's pretty fun.
BuNKiTZ

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Discussion