DC Rebirth

Year One? The Dark Knight Returns? The Killing Joke? Which one is your favourite? All Batman comic and graphic novel discussion can be found here.

Re: DC Rebirth

Postby MaxSchreck » Jun 5th, 2017, 8:02 am

JordanT4021 wrote:Pretty disappointed with Greg Rucka. New 52 Wonder Woman has been completely undone and apparently none of the characters we met were real. I find that pretty disrespectful to Azzarello and Chiang who wrote that amazing series. Now amazing new characters like Strife, Hera, Hermes, Zola and First Born will likely never be seen again as we know them.

Strife was always my favourite from the series so I'm super sad they've pretty much write her out of existence. I won't be continuing reading this rebirth series anymore.

Personally I much prefer the new Wonder Woman book. It´s much closer to the spirit of the character if you ask me.

"You may have invented being Robin , but I perfected it ." - Damian Wayne
MaxSchreck

Postby Mani-Man » Jun 9th, 2017, 9:17 am

So Batman 24...yeah.

I need to wait for the story to unfold, but at the moment i think this is just bad writing for the sake of being "shocking"...a rather typical move that imo doesnt hold up for long.

Spoiler: show
The proposal came completely out of nowhere and makes little sense overall.
If you take away the last 2-3 pages, nothing about the rest of the issue points towards this.
The art was really good and i liked the talk between bruce and Gotham girl...but i dont like the picture King paints of Bruce.
Because i do think that Bruce is "happy" as batman because he can make a difference, because he can save others from what he experienced.
I dont like it when writers make it out as if the cowl is a curse for Bruce...to me its simply a part of him,
what he can do.

Anyway...backt to the topic.
The proposal has no ground to walk on, none of Kings arc pointed towards it...build up to it.
In his Run he barely had any Moments with Selina and Bruce, there was nothing groundbreaking or so that would make this seem genuine.
At the moment it feels to me like King just created this because of the Button storyline...it reeks like it is supposed to create angst and drama.

Also while i occasionally like Batcat, i cant see it being something like Lois/Clark, Oliver/Dinah, Mera/Arthur.
For that, the dynamic is different...the characters are not drifting towards each other enough.
Selinas character is and always will be one who loves the thrill, loves to get chased, who loves things she cant have...and loses "interest" once she has it.
Bruce to me, feels like one of this "things" for Selina.
With him now neither running after her nor away...takes the thrill away.

I dont know, i have many thoughts about this...and that is what the issue was supposed to do.
For now im not a fan of it but will wait how this plays out.

On a different note...the current Aquaman arc is absolutly fantastic.
It has me at the edge of my seat, really like it.
Mani-Man

Postby MaxSchreck » Jun 9th, 2017, 10:16 am

Mani-Man wrote:So Batman 24...yeah.

I need to wait for the story to unfold, but at the moment i think this is just bad writing for the sake of being "shocking"...a rather typical move that imo doesnt hold up for long.

If you take away the last 2-3 pages, nothing about the rest of the issue points towards this.
The art was really good and i liked the talk between bruce and Gotham girl...but i dont like the picture King paints of Bruce.
Because i do think that Bruce is "happy" as batman because he can make a difference, because he can save others from what he experienced.
I dont like it when writers make it out as if the cowl is a curse for Bruce...to me its simply a part of him,
what he can do.

The proposal has no ground to walk on, none of Kings arc pointed towards it...build up to it.
In his Run he barely had any Moments with Selina and Bruce, there was nothing groundbreaking or so that would make this seem genuine.
At the moment it feels to me like King just created this because of the Button storyline...it reeks like it is supposed to create angst and drama.

Also while i occasionally like Batcat, i cant see it being something like Lois/Clark, Oliver/Dinah, Mera/Arthur.
For that, the dynamic is different...the characters are not drifting towards each other enough.
Selinas character is and always will be one who loves the thrill, loves to get chased, who loves things she cant have...and loses "interest" once she has it.

I dont know, i have many thoughts about this...and that is what the issue was supposed to do.

Yeah, Batman 24 wasn´t good. It´s espacially annoying that we will have to wait 8 issues before this cliffhanger is resolved, due to the War of Jokes and Riddles arc.

As for the future of Bruce and Selina´s relationship... I don´t thing think this will work out as well. Selina is too much of a criminal. She will end up hurting Bruce and maybe even other people in his family. You know, Thomas Wayne did not simply tell Bruce to retire, he also asked him to take better care of Damian. I wonder what´s his role in this whole mess is going to be. If they aren´t just going to ignore him again that is. And let´s not forget about Alfred, he will have to deal with two dissapointed Waynes at some point.

Ever since the Batman Telltale series I am much less fond of Batcat. Before I might have tried to defend this a little, but not anymore :oldyella:

MaxSchreck

Postby Mani-Man » Jun 10th, 2017, 10:04 am

MaxSchreck wrote:

what he can do.

Yeah, Batman 24 wasn´t good. It´s espacially annoying that we will have to wait 8 issues before this cliffhanger is resolved, due to the War of Jokes and Riddles arc.

As for the future of Bruce and Selina´s relationship... I don´t thing think this will work out as well. Selina is too much of a criminal. She will end up hurting Bruce and maybe even other people in his family. You know, Thomas Wayne did not simply tell Bruce to retire, he also asked him to take better care of Damian. I wonder what´s his role in this whole mess is going to be. If they aren´t just going to ignore him again that is. And let´s not forget about Alfred, he will have to deal with two dissapointed Waynes at some point.

Ever since the Batman Telltale series I am much less fond of Batcat. Before I might have tried to defend this a little, but not anymore :oldyella:

I forgot the Jokes and Riddles arc completely...yeah that makes this pretty bad.
I dont want to have to wait that long for an answer, oh well, nothing to do there.

The appeal of Batcat to me is only as long as it involves this cat and mouse thing.
As long as they try to "catch" each other and the tension of will they/wont they is there.

When was the last time we had a really genuine Batfamily scene, the one at the dinner comes to my mind...but that wasnt too "friendly" if i remember it correctly.
I really miss heartfelt scenes with Bruce and the family.

Justice League 22 was somehow really enjoyable...it reminded me a bit off the Justice League animated seires dynamic.
Mani-Man

Postby MaxSchreck » Jun 10th, 2017, 1:47 pm

Mani-Man wrote:
MaxSchreck wrote:

what he can do.

I forgot the Jokes and Riddles arc completely...yeah that makes this pretty bad.
I dont want to have to wait that long for an answer, oh well, nothing to do there.

The appeal of Batcat to me is only as long as it involves this cat and mouse thing.
As long as they try to "catch" each other and the tension of will they/wont they is there.

When was the last time we had a really genuine Batfamily scene, the one at the dinner comes to my mind...but that wasnt too "friendly" if i remember it correctly.
I really miss heartfelt scenes with Bruce and the family.

Justice League 22 was somehow really enjoyable...it reminded me a bit off the Justice League animated seires dynamic.

In Nightwing we had Damian and Dick renewing their friendship at the end of their team up. However first they didn´t really get along. Something similar happened in the Lazarus Contract. I wonder how they are going to resolve this since Damian hurt Wally pretty badly by accident. Last time Dick acted really stupid Damian slapped him so hard he bled, and Dick Judo flipped Damian on the ground in Nightwing and put him in a headlock for attacking Wally, but that was before he saw the true extend of the injuries. It almost seems to become a part of their dynamic :I .

Haven´t read Justice League 22, yet.

MaxSchreck

Postby JordanT4021 » Jun 16th, 2017, 6:13 pm

MaxSchreck wrote:
JordanT4021 wrote:Pretty disappointed with Greg Rucka. New 52 Wonder Woman has been completely undone and apparently none of the characters we met were real. I find that pretty disrespectful to Azzarello and Chiang who wrote that amazing series. Now amazing new characters like Strife, Hera, Hermes, Zola and First Born will likely never be seen again as we know them.

Strife was always my favourite from the series so I'm super sad they've pretty much write her out of existence. I won't be continuing reading this rebirth series anymore.

Personally I much prefer the new Wonder Woman book. It´s much closer to the spirit of the character if you ask me.

TBH I never really liked Pre 52 Wonder Woman very much. I thought a lot of her stories were one note and generic. It was kind of like writers didn't know what to do with her. I think that especially stands true when you compare her to Batman and Superman, they've done everything.

I thought the New 52 was a great reimagining and modernisation of the character while staying true to her values and history.
JordanT4021

Favourite Villain: Poison Ivy
Favourite Graphic Novel: Wonder Woman: Blood

Postby MaxSchreck » Jun 16th, 2017, 8:05 pm

JordanT4021 wrote:
MaxSchreck wrote:

TBH I never really liked Pre 52 Wonder Woman very much. I thought a lot of her stories were one note and generic. It was kind of like writers didn't know what to do with her. I think that especially stands true when you compare her to Batman and Superman, they've done everything.

I thought the New 52 was a great reimagining and modernisation of the character while staying true to her values and history.

I think you should read George Pérez´ Wonder Woman reboot if you think the character and lacked direction before the New 52. Or have you checked that out already? No offense, but but I am not sure if New 52 Wonder Woman lived up to that.

Oh yeah, are those all really going to Team up (like in that Titans Event recently that took place in three different books) up or will they just each have their own Dark Nights: Metal tie ins? I actually want to see them operating as a group.

MaxSchreck

Postby JordanT4021 » Jun 16th, 2017, 8:42 pm

MaxSchreck wrote:
JordanT4021 wrote:
MaxSchreck wrote:

I think you should read George Pérez´ Wonder Woman reboot if you think the character and lacked direction before the New 52. Or have you checked that out already? No offense, but but I am not sure if New 52 Wonder Woman lived up to that.

Oh yeah, are those all really going to Team up (like in that Titans Event recently that took place in three different books) up or will they just each have their own Dark Nights: Metal tie ins? I actually want to see them operating as a group.

No offence taken :oldyella: I get its not for everyone. An old and withered Ares and sexually abusive amazons probably could have been left out. I'm just a sucker for female villains and greek gods. It reminds me a little of American Gods. I haven't read the George Perez series, is it any good? It looks a little dated.

Also, that team up?! I need more information. Plus I love that artist.
JordanT4021

Postby MaxSchreck » Jun 20th, 2017, 12:00 pm

JordanT4021 wrote:
MaxSchreck wrote:
JordanT4021 wrote:
MaxSchreck wrote:

No offence taken :oldyella: I get its not for everyone. An old and withered Ares and sexually abusive amazons probably could have been left out. I'm just a sucker for female villains and greek gods. It reminds me a little of American Gods. I haven't read the George Perez series, is it any good? It looks a little dated.

Also, that team up?! I need more information. Plus I love that artist.

I think it has a lot of charm and George Pérez´ art might be old fashioned but that is part of the charm I think. He definately knew how to draw well. They also do a lot with the Greek Pantheon in that book.
It also avoids stuff like the sexually abusive Amazon, it´s quite a feminist inspired run, in a good way. Etta, Steve and a Greek-American Professor and her daughter are very well integrated into the story, kinda like in the 2017 Wonder Woman movie (if you want to see what Ares would have done in the Cold War you get to see it...) and help give Diana character development and make it seem more complex than just a simple super hero story. It has lots of heart and is uplifting and inspiring as Wonder Woman (and other dc heroes comics) should be in my opinion :)

As for Gotham resistance... the articles I´ve seen kinda make it unclear who is going to team up with whom

-

A series of one-shots coming from DC in September through November, show invaders from the Dark Multiverse that look a little familiar and inspire a Gotham Resistance, the name of Batman’s army that he’s been raising.
Each features a different twisted version of Batman, mashed up with other characters, to threaten the DC Universe, The Red Death, The Murder Machine, The Dawnbreaker, The Drowned, The Merciless, The Devastator and The Batman Who Laughs. There will also be crossover stories as these twisted Batman inspire DC’s supervillains as Gotham Resistance.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/06/16 ... one-shots/

---

Ah, finally it´s made clear:

TEEN TITANS #12
Written by BENJAMIN PERCY
Art by MIRKA ANDOLFO
Cover by STJEPAN SEJIC
Variant cover by CHAD HARDIN
Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details. Includes a code for a free digital download of this issue.
A DARK NIGHTS: METAL tie-in! “GOTHAM RESISTANCE” part one! The fight for Gotham City’s soul starts here! When Robin receives a distress call from Nightwing urging him to return home, he discovers that Gotham City has been transformed into a mosaic of monsters, magic and doom! Trapped inside the Riddler’s deadly maze with nowhere to turn, Robin soon assembles an unlikely team of hometown heroes including Batgirl, Harley Quinn, Killer Croc, Black Canary and Green Arrow to find the missing Nightwing and save their city!
On sale SEPTEMBER 13 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

Also interesting:

HARLEY QUINN 25TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL #1
Written by AMANDA CONNER, JIMMY PALMIOTTI, PAUL DINI and CHIP ZDARSKY
Art by AMANDA CONNER, CHAD HARDIN, JOE QUINONES and others
Cover by AMANDA CONNER
Variant covers by JIM LEE and BRUCE TIMM
Retailers: This issue will ship with three covers. Please see the order form for details.
Celebrate twenty-five years of Harley Quinn with this collection of stories by some legendary Harley talent and some who’ve never drawn her before! How does Harley manage her insanely jam-packed life on Coney Island? What haven’t we seen from her past with the Joker? And can even Harley’s psychological acumen crack the twisted mind of…Robin, the Boy Wonder?
One-shot • On sale SEPTEMBER 6 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T+

If that doesn´t suck I might change my opinion of Harley :lol:

https://batmanwonderwoman.com/forum/vie ... &start=200

MaxSchreck

Postby Mani-Man » Jun 20th, 2017, 12:36 pm

Woah...hold on a minute son.
There is a site with forums, fanfiction and stuff about WonderBat?
Excuse me Gentleman i need to go. XD

I heard a lot of good about Deathstroke, but after around 10 issues i dont seem to see what is so spectacular about it.
Its pretty good i have to say...but not over the top great.
Mani-Man

Postby MaxSchreck » Jun 20th, 2017, 1:31 pm

Mani-Man wrote:

Woah...hold on a minute son.
There is a site with forums, fanfiction and stuff about WonderBat?
Excuse me Gentleman i need to go. XD

I heard a lot of good about Deathstroke, but after around 10 issues i dont seem to see what is so spectacular about it.
Its pretty good i have to say...but not over the top great.

Yup, I actually had meant to post this link - https://www.newsarama.com/34984-dc-comi ... tions.html

But yeah, I am pretty active on that forum. Even wrote a story with Wonderbat and uploaded it there :D

MaxSchreck

Postby JordanT4021 » Jun 20th, 2017, 10:44 pm

^^ I'll definitely look into Perez' run on WW. I do like the Greek Pantheon and I like Diana's supporting cast.

I'm a little disappointed with the premise of Gotham Resistance. From what I've seen its just evil mashups between Batman and different members of the Justice League from different universes. I really like Stjepan Sejic as an artist but he doesn't do much apart from some deviant art stuff.

I'm more excited for the War of Jokes and Riddles. Its basically Captain America: Civil War but with Batman's villains. Poison Ivy looks like she's playing a big part in the first few issues and I'm so excited to see her go up against Penguin.
JordanT4021

Postby MaxSchreck » Jun 26th, 2017, 2:42 pm

I'm more excited for the War of Jokes and Riddles. Its basically Captain America: Civil War but with Batman's villains. Poison Ivy looks like she's playing a big part in the first few issues and I'm so excited to see her go up against Penguin.

I tried to read the first issue but couldn´t get into it. The only moment I really liked was when...

... Joker shot Riddler in the middle of his villain rant. Some of Gothams policemen might still learn from him.

MaxSchreck

Postby JordanT4021 » Jul 5th, 2017, 5:25 pm

MaxSchreck wrote:

I tried to read the first issue but couldn´t get into it. The only moment I really liked was when...

... Joker shot Riddler in the middle of his villain rant. Some of Gothams policemen might still learn from him.

Yeah first issue wasn't anything special. And here was me getting excited for once. I'll still read on to see what Pam does.

Update: Just read the first volume of Deathstroke Rebirth and I loved it. Thanks for the recommendation. Finally a good Rebirth series I can continue.
JordanT4021

Postby MaxSchreck » Jul 5th, 2017, 6:33 pm

Yeah first issue wasn't anything special. And here was me getting excited for once. I'll still read on to see what Pam does.

I can´t read Tom King´s Batman at all... already gave up during I am Suicide. He basicly turned Bruce from a tragic hero into a troubled teenager and the dialogue, action and art don´t help making the poor ideas any better.

MaxSchreck

PreviousNext

Return to Comic Discussion