What Bane Almost Looked Liked

Express your love for TDK, your hate for Batman and Robin or your TDKR anticipation. This is the place to discuss The Batman movies.

What Bane Almost Looked Liked

Postby Maultest » Jun 29th, 2013, 3:52 am

‘The Dark Knight Rises‘ hits DVD and Blu-ray on December 4th (just in time for the holidays!) and a few early copies have leaked in advance of the official release. One of the behind-the-scenes documentaries included on the discs shows off some behind-the-scenes photos of Tom Hardy as Bane plus some concept art on what Bane almost looked like.

Because of his trademark mask, Bane was always going to be a difficult character to adapt into Christopher Nolan’s universe. (Remember how he looked like a Mexican wrestler in ‘Batman and Robin?’) But with all the options they had, it looks like Nolan and crew made the best choice.

None of the options below look like they would translate well and both of the “hood” designs look downright silly. You can also see the early sketch for the design they did use in the film to see how it evolved over development.

Another interesting photo is the shot of Tom Hardy as Bane before they digitally removed all of Hardy’s tattoos. It might not have made sense with the character, but the tattoos actually make him look even more menacing.

Take a look at the photos below and let us know in the comments what you think.

Source
Accepting Signature/Avatar Requests! PM me
Maultest

Favourite Villain: Hush/Deathstroke
Favourite Graphic Novel: Heart of Hush

Re: What Bane Almost Looked Liked

Postby arkhamcitydood » Jun 29th, 2013, 4:20 am

LOL I'm so happy they changed it. Old bane looked like a sex slave.
arkhamcitydood

Favourite Villain: Penguin

Postby Maultest » Jun 29th, 2013, 4:23 am

arkhamcitydood wrote:LOL I'm so happy they changed it. Old bane looked like a sex slave.

and... you have just opened a whole new door to fan fiction ( shudders )
Maultest

Postby Chob » Jun 29th, 2013, 4:39 am

Maultest wrote:
arkhamcitydood wrote:LOL I'm so happy they changed it. Old bane looked like a sex slave.

and... you have just opened a whole new door to fan fiction ( shudders )

I shudder to think of the Batman/Bane slash inhabiting the darkest bowels of the internet.

Seriously though, while I initially thought it could've provided a bit more coverage of his head, I love the final product.
Chob

Postby Maultest » Jun 29th, 2013, 10:49 am

Chob wrote:Seriously though, while I initially thought it could've provided a bit more coverage of his head, I love the final product.

I agree, I mean compared to the other stuff I think It's A LOT better. But the mask still looks badass, It could have been a little better. But I'll take what i can get it. Though I'd me amazed to see this concept art brought to life and into film.
Maultest

Postby Bane » Jun 29th, 2013, 5:08 pm

saw these a long time ago, Bane kind of looked like (and still did) something out of star wars. he actually kind of looks like Darth Malgus, and some of the other sith.

I believe their are some more designs you didn't include, and I can't find the article where I saw all of them, but in some of them his mask really looked animalistic with sort of tribal-ish stylings in the mask. In the Blu-ray of TDKR, christopher nolan was even talking about how he wanted him to look like some sort of ape-ish creature, and his tubes on his mask are meant to resemble snarling teeth.
Bane

Favourite Villain: Bane
Favourite Graphic Novel: Knightfall

Postby johnsyggel » Jun 29th, 2013, 5:20 pm

Am i the only one who likes it?He looks like the comics Bane,with the black mask and all...
When the mugger or the thief stops to think twice,that is fear.That is what I am.Tonight will not be my end,but it will be theirs!
johnsyggel

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The killing joke

Postby Maultest » Jun 29th, 2013, 8:05 pm

Bane wrote:saw these a long time ago, Bane kind of looked like (and still did) something out of star wars. he actually kind of looks like Darth Malgus, and some of the other sith.

I believe their are some more designs you didn't include, and I can't find the article where I saw all of them, but in some of them his mask really looked animalistic with sort of tribal-ish stylings in the mask. In the Blu-ray of TDKR, christopher nolan was even talking about how he wanted him to look like some sort of ape-ish creature, and his tubes on his mask are meant to resemble snarling teeth.

I wasn't aware there was more concept are out there, This all the article had.
Maultest

Postby Mani-Man » Jun 29th, 2013, 9:50 pm

Well in the end there was no way to get a "perfect" bane design. Those are comic book characters after all, trying too hard to make them "realistic" is not the best idea. But i think there are worse out there, just look at the wolverine concept arts. I couldn't believe it but they actually could have ended with more awful looking characters. :D
Mani-Man

Postby Choyal » Jun 30th, 2013, 4:38 am

I mean, I was always a bit annoyed how the Bane didn't seem much at all like the one from the comics, but I understand how it wouldn't have worked and I am super happy they uses the mask they did and not those other ones :lol:
Choyal

Postby BobGun » Jun 30th, 2013, 5:36 pm

The second from bottom drawing would've been scary as hell...I could totally see Hardy in that. In the end, they probably made the right choice, but it's always interesting to see what might have been.
BobGun

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: Devil's Advocate

Postby BrunoBKMazing » Jul 1st, 2013, 10:29 pm

I've already seen these designs before, they look really awful, especially the last 2, in my opinion. I'm glad we didn't saw any of them in the big screen.
"CRY HAVOK!!!"
BrunoBKMazing

Favourite Villain: Killer Croc
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Postby Maultest » Jul 2nd, 2013, 4:07 am

BrunoBKMazing wrote:I've already seen these designs before, they look really awful, especially the last 2, in my opinion. I'm glad we didn't saw any of them in the big screen.

I agree I'm glad they went with the final product.
Maultest

Postby Killa_Moff » Jul 3rd, 2013, 4:02 am

The last one looks pretty cool. I still think they should have went with a face mask similar to the ones in Army Of Two.
Killa_Moff

Favourite Villain: Killer Moth
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman: The Mad Monk

Postby Mani-Man » Jul 3rd, 2013, 10:41 am

Killa_Moff wrote:The last one looks pretty cool. I still think they should have went with a face mask similar to the ones in Army Of Two.

Thats actually a pretty cool idea.....i love the army of two series,the characters always look pretty cool with the masks.

The thing is,you never really know how the end product is. I saw a set photo of the amazing spiderman 2 and in that one spiderman looks more like a cheap cosplayer, but in the movie with the shadowing,effects and stuff he will probably look great.

Are there concept arts for batman and the joker, i would like to see how they could have looked.
Mani-Man

Next

Return to Batman Movies Discussion