DC Animated Universe: Batman Hush

Express your love for TDK, your hate for Batman and Robin or your TDKR anticipation. This is the place to discuss The Batman movies.

Re: DC Animated Universe: Batman Hush

Postby Harvey Bullock » Jan 10th, 2014, 2:46 pm

Yup, Hush just feels like the definition of mediocrity to me.
Harvey Bullock

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: DC: The New Frontier

Postby Mr Wayne » Jan 26th, 2014, 1:27 am

Hush, and all the story lines involving him are awesome to me. But he is my fav villain. Just like Harv will most likely have a DD novel as one of his favs. Just don't personally see all the hate towards hush.

Tell me, Do you Bleed?

You Will.

http://www.onegamersperspective.co.uk/
Mr Wayne

Favourite Villain: Thomas Elliot.
Favourite Graphic Novel: Heart Of Hush.

Postby Red_Robin » Jan 26th, 2014, 8:52 am

Hush is by no means the best Batman story, but it's also far from mediocre. I've read a lot of Batman stories, I know how bad they can get.
In fact, Hush is a perfect Batman story from one point of view; inducting non-comic reading friends to Batman. We have a rundown of all the key relationships and villain, as well as showng plenty of action and accessible art.

A Hush animated movie would be cool, but there are many that I'd rather have adapted first.
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: No Man's Land

Postby TFDutchman » Jan 26th, 2014, 11:20 am

I've never understood the "Ermahgerd!! Too merny verlerns!" argument. Yes, a lot of villains appear in Batman: Hush, but I don't think there was ever a moment where it felt out of place. Particularly in the end. I think the inclusion of so many villains just helped to reinforce the idea that whoever was playing this game with Batman was able to manipulate so many people around him or even manipulating him to lead him on a wild goose chase.

Hush was largely a background figure throughout the story, but it set him up to be a really interesting villain who was put to fantastic use in Heart of Hush. Honestly I think an animated movie that combined elements from Hush and Heart of Hush would be fantastic. Particularly if they ever recreated the scene with Selina in hospital and Bruce expressing his feelings to her (thinking she's asleep). My favourite part of Heart of Hush and it would just be great in a film.

As an addendum I will mention that I am dreading the inevitability of seeing Hush introduced in the New 52. I can only imagine how badly they'll ***k that up.

But I'm most certainly all for a Batman: Hush film even if it's just to stop DC from basing all their future films off of New 52 stories.

"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder."
TFDutchman

Favourite Villain: Two-Face
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Postby Harvey Bullock » Jan 26th, 2014, 11:30 am

I think I've said this before, but the whole 'Batman going out on his own' and 'disregarding his allies' thing was already done in Knightfall, and to much better effect I must say. It is my own opinion that I find Hush mediocre, this means that I'm indifferent to the novel as a whole, but I certainly don't think it's deserving of an animated adaptation when there are far better Loeb novels out there.

Then again, I didn't like Judd Winnick's 'Under the Hood' but really enjoyed the animated adaptation, so yeah.

Heart of Hush on the other hand? I would endure a Hush animated film to see that on screen with Nguyen's art style.
Harvey Bullock

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: DC: The New Frontier

Postby JakeFreeman256 » Jan 26th, 2014, 8:12 pm

I think it could be really cool, but they'd have to combine Hush and Heart of Hush to make it worth it. Believe me, I love Hush; it's one of my favorites, but I just don't think it would make much of a movie if they JUST did Hush, since Thomas Elliot is barely even in it. They could always do a loose adaptation, like they are with Batman and Son though. However, I'd honestly much rather see The Killing Joke adapted. It's about time for it.
"Enjoy yourself out there... in the asylum. Just don't forget -- if it ever gets too tough... there's always a place for you here."
JakeFreeman256

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: Court of Owls

Postby gonzzCABJ » Feb 2nd, 2014, 5:52 am

TFDutchman wrote:I've never understood the "Ermahgerd!! Too merny verlerns!" argument. Yes, a lot of villains appear in Batman: Hush, but I don't think there was ever a moment where it felt out of place. Particularly in the end. I think the inclusion of so many villains just helped to reinforce the idea that whoever was playing this game with Batman was able to manipulate so many people around him or even manipulating him to lead him on a wild goose chase.

Hush was largely a background figure throughout the story, but it set him up to be a really interesting villain who was put to fantastic use in Heart of Hush. Honestly I think an animated movie that combined elements from Hush and Heart of Hush would be fantastic. Particularly if they ever recreated the scene with Selina in hospital and Bruce expressing his feelings to her (thinking she's asleep). My favourite part of Heart of Hush and it would just be great in a film.

As an addendum I will mention that I am dreading the inevitability of seeing Hush introduced in the New 52. I can only imagine how badly they'll ***k that up.

But I'm most certainly all for a Batman: Hush film even if it's just to stop DC from basing all their future films off of New 52 stories.

This. Basically my thoughts. Hush is a good villain, imho, he knows Bruce since like... since always, and having the surgery on him thus to look like Bruce leads to some great possibilities.
I liked Hush. Leaving aside Lee's drawing (which I have always loved by many reasons), the story was pure entertainment. Sure, the twist was kinda obvious, but they made me doubt a little bit about it. Also, it was great to see the Batman-Catwoman relation evolving.

Anyway, back to the subject: I am not really sure if I would like to see a Hush/Heart of Hush movie. Not even The Killing Joker nor The Long Halloween. I don't know, they are comics that I really, really like and they have to be top notch if they transform them into a movie.
"That's part of the rule. Never quit. Never let them see you're afraid. Above all -- never let them see you're hurt. Never let them see you cry. Never."
gonzzCABJ

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Postby The New Blueguy » Feb 16th, 2014, 5:45 am

What about this art style for a Hush animated movie?

The New Blueguy

Favourite Villain: The Clock King

Postby johnsyggel » Feb 16th, 2014, 1:43 pm

^^^I don't like it.At all...Sorry.
When the mugger or the thief stops to think twice,that is fear.That is what I am.Tonight will not be my end,but it will be theirs!
johnsyggel

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The killing joke

Postby batwayne007 » Feb 18th, 2014, 2:51 am

johnsyggel wrote:^^^I don't like it.At all...Sorry.
Yeah, it sucks.
Batman: DO YOU WANNA GET NUTS??!! COME ON!! let's get nuts.
Joker: Tell me something my friend. Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?
Batman: What?
batwayne007
Banned
Banned

Favourite Villain: MISTAH FREEEZE
Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Knight Returns

Postby TheJester » Feb 20th, 2014, 10:37 pm

JakeFreeman256 wrote:I think it could be really cool, but they'd have to combine Hush and Heart of Hush to make it worth it. Believe me, I love Hush; it's one of my favorites, but I just don't think it would make much of a movie if they JUST did Hush, since Thomas Elliot is barely even in it. They could always do a loose adaptation, like they are with Batman and Son though. However, I'd honestly much rather see The Killing Joke adapted. It's about time for it.

Essentially this. Hush was great when I read it first time round, but I hated it when I re-read it. Dini's work on the character is developed so much better and we get a much better picture of Thomas Elliott as a person, when he's barely explored at all in the former. Heck, I think his reasonings behind hating the Wayne's is only summed up in a few lines of dialogue; it takes up most of the issues in Dini's Heart of Hush run.

Mix the two together, and I think you'll get a perfect movie. Lots of villian's relationships explored in detail, but also giving us a lot about Elliott's backstory.
~ I'm not mad, I'm just differently sane. ~
Check out my latest fanfic, Clipped Wings, here!
TheJester

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Postby Revenant36 » May 15th, 2014, 12:52 pm

J.Napier wrote:I agree with Jabels.

Don't care if it's a generalization, I always thought it was weird how people thought Hush was this wonderful, superb stand-out.

Pretty much because of the art. It really did raise the bar for art in a monthly series. I do like the story, but it's really the art that Hush is recognised for. I agree with the majority of people here that Heart Of Hush was a much better story. Doing this as an animated movie, but keeping the flashbacks from the original Hush, to tell the character's origins, would be what I'e like to see from an animated movie. Although, as has also been said already, I'd much rather see The Long Halloween...
Revenant36

Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Postby Pieter » May 15th, 2014, 3:55 pm

These are Batman stories I think are a bit overrated :
- Hush
- Knightfall
- Death Of The Family
- Arkham Asylum ASHOASE ( One of Morriosn's lesser works )
- Death in The Family
- Under The Red Hood ( I love the Animated movie I just think the GN is meh...)

And here are few I think are underrated :
- Dark Victory
- Joker
- The Man Who Laughs
- Batman and The Monster Men
I died once. It was boring, so I stood up
Pieter

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Black Mirror

Postby TheCat » May 18th, 2014, 5:56 pm

Revenant36 wrote:
J.Napier wrote:I agree with Jabels.

Don't care if it's a generalization, I always thought it was weird how people thought Hush was this wonderful, superb stand-out.

Pretty much because of the art. It really did raise the bar for art in a monthly series. I do like the story, but it's really the art that Hush is recognised for. I agree with the majority of people here that Heart Of Hush was a much better story. Doing this as an animated movie, but keeping the flashbacks from the original Hush, to tell the character's origins, would be what I'e like to see from an animated movie. Although, as has also been said already, I'd much rather see The Long Halloween...

I'm going to agree.
The art is what really drives it home for me.
Hush is a good story but the artwork completely immerses me in it & I want more.
Art really makes or breaks a comic for me. It could have a phenomenal story but if the art is bad, I'm not as into it. An example I have is "Thor & Loki: Blood Brothers". I really enjoyed the story, thought it was great, but the art put me off so much I couldn't list it as a top comic. Which is a shame.
/rant over.
TheCat

Previous

Return to Batman Movies Discussion