Son of Batman - First Look at Animated Feature

Express your love for TDK, your hate for Batman and Robin or your TDKR anticipation. This is the place to discuss The Batman movies.

Re: Son of Batman - First Look at Animated Feature

Postby MaxSchreck » Apr 21st, 2014, 1:48 am

Well... its in your username. Never made the assumption that it is your real name ,though :I

"You may have invented being Robin , but I perfected it ." - Damian Wayne
MaxSchreck

Postby BlackBlade » Apr 21st, 2014, 5:09 am

Spoiler: show
So... I kind of hated this the entire time I was watching it and don't feel any better about it now that it's over. First of all, they should have given it a different title and advertised it as a completely new, original story because it is only in the loosest and vaguest ways actually based on the story in the comics. They spent a ton of screen time on completely pointless, superfluous scenes and plots that aren't in the original story, yet also do not actually add anything to the film, and they could have easily simply been faithful to the far superior tale that's in the comics instead of wasting so much time reinventing it only to result in a very inferior story. A good story was already there. All they had to do was adapt it. Instead they created a much worse story that borrowed a few familiar pieces.

I also thought the voice work for Deathstroke and Talia was terrible (Talia should always have a bit of an accent IMO) and that Talia was FAR too matronly and not the calculating bitch she's supposed to be. Further, I had some big problems with the action. Okay, you're going to invent a huge street tough for Damian to take on, instead of sticking with the real story, and then you're going to have this 75lb kid kick a 300lb gorilla flying 30 yards through the air? Or invent a no-holds barred show down between Damian and Deathstroke (the worlds greatest assassin) and then have Damian have a sword stabbed clean through BOTH forearms and still have the strength to catch Deathstrokes sword in his bare hands? Not to mention Damian isn't even in pain 5 minutes later, when they've escaped. I get suspension of disbelief, but write it well, at least. This was awful.

A lot of the dialogue was written awfully as well. Oh and Bruce just goes for a shoulder deep stroll in a Lazarus pit? I think the only way I could have enjoyed this movie was if I'd never read the original story and knew very little about the broader Batman lore (such as Lazarus pits and Deathstroke's super strength). If you watched this without any of that knowledge, just as a casual viewer, it could be good. It had it's decent moments. But if you've read the story or just know more about Batman, this was terrible, in my opinion. It's literally like 5% based on the comics.
~"They say that when you kill a man you not only take away what he was, but all he will ever be."
BlackBlade

Favourite Villain: Hush
Favourite Graphic Novel: Red Hood: Lost Years

Postby Pieter » Apr 21st, 2014, 7:42 am

MaxSchreck wrote:Well... its in your username. Never made the assumption that it is your real name ,though :I

Just so you know my real name is Pieter ! :adam:
I died once. It was boring, so I stood up
Pieter

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Black Mirror

Postby MaxSchreck » Apr 21st, 2014, 3:22 pm

:oldyella: Okay, I think I am going to adress you with your real name then, next time.

Rules are still in Site Info, which is still accessible from the "Jump to" drop down menu at the bottom of any forum.

Thanks. I was looking under community content and then Forum rules I think. That just sends me to some kind of search engine...

@Black Blade:

Spoiler: show
I have no problem with the fact that they did change the story of Batman and Son a lot. As far as I know they said this was set in an another continuity so I don´t understand why everybody keep criticzing Dc for how different this is from the New/Old Dcu.

I also kinda like how Talia was more motherly and likeable in this. A lot of people did not like how villanous Grant Morrison made Talia (just like they criticized his take on Jason), so I thought this was a positive change that would make a lot of people happy.

And of course I absolutely enjoyed seeing Damian kick Deathstrokes ass :oldyella: Reminded me of the time I thought he was pretty much invincible. Again, this is set in a different continuity. So Deathstroke being not as strong as his counterpart in the Old and New Dcu isn´t really an issue in my opinion.

You are totally right about the scene at the end where Damians arms are injured. Perhaps he has a healing factor now? :lol:

"You may have invented being Robin , but I perfected it ." - Damian Wayne
MaxSchreck

Previous

Return to Batman Movies Discussion