Joker needs a movie

Express your love for TDK, your hate for Batman and Robin or your TDKR anticipation. This is the place to discuss The Batman movies.

Re: Joker needs a movie

Postby J.Napier » Mar 9th, 2014, 8:55 pm

Harvey Bullock wrote:
J.Napier wrote:
TheJester wrote:
Killa_Moff wrote:Based on Brian Azzarello's graphic novel.

I respectfully disagree with you on that one. If Joker were to get a big screen debut, I'd prefer if they went with the classic Joker representation, rather than the uber gritty Nolan style that the fanboys go wild for.

Haha ha no. Did you even read that? Joker in that was nothing like Joker in the Dark Knight, who was actually not that far off from Alan Moore's Joker since they were both interested in the reedy philosophizing typical of emo teens and out to prove that they weren't that different from other people. Azzarello Joker was an unstable, self aware thug who popped pills and thought Batman was crazy for pretending he could fix the world.

I would rather watch Joker stealing report cards than Joker talking about how the world is all dark and sad.

Aesthetically, Bermejo's Joker resembled Heath Ledger.

Obviously.

More like somewhat, actually. Just the scars and messy hair.
J.Napier

Favourite Villain: Joker/LDM
Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Knight Returns.

Postby TheJester » Mar 9th, 2014, 9:38 pm

I didn't mean aesthetically. I for one really enjoy Joker giving his take on the world. It's why I enjoy Morrison's super sane theory so much. Joker is a very complex character who has lots of fascinating theories on sanity, being 'normal' and the meaning of life. It's what makes him one of my favourite comic characters.

I didn't enjoy Joker, in case you couldn't tell.
~ I'm not mad, I'm just differently sane. ~
Check out my latest fanfic, Clipped Wings, here!
TheJester

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Postby J.Napier » Mar 9th, 2014, 9:46 pm

I wasn't saying you were supposed to, or that I did. The reason they had Harley silent throughout it was one of the most sexist things I remember ever reading some comic writer saying, if I even remember it right, and apart from that there were a few other things I found rather irritating.

Morrison's theory was good since it allows for the validity of every version of the character, but I always thought it sounded like an excuse for crappy writing. Plus it kind of denies the existence of any "classic" Joker since he could be anyone at any given moment.

But anyways, I just don't remember thinking Azzarello Joker was anything close to Ledger's. Their personalities were completely different. When Ledger Joker failed, he just got disappointed. Azzarello's was simply infuriated.
J.Napier

Postby TheJester » Mar 9th, 2014, 10:10 pm

I haven't read it in ages so I'll have to give it another shot soon to see what you're talking about. From what I remember he was very thuggish, and I wasn't a fan of that. I'd rather see classic schemer Joker get his own movie, and not with Joker's grimy art style.

Sorry if I came off as a bit confrontational before :)
~ I'm not mad, I'm just differently sane. ~
Check out my latest fanfic, Clipped Wings, here!
TheJester

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Postby J.Napier » Mar 9th, 2014, 10:16 pm

You don't need to be, I was the one that came off that way and I apologize. And well, you wouldn't read much of that since she was just completely silent in the whole thing. But the writer's words are enough.

"Visually, I threw her in a vinyl outfit and made her look as much like a junkie as possible. Harley Quinn is like a stripper to me. I don't want to know her name, I don't want to hear about her life, and I sure as hell don't want her to talk. Just dance, baby..."

Yeah, sounds like great characterization, right?

I thought it might make a somewhat decent fan film though.

Don't really care how they do the Joker in the next movie he gets to be in anyway, or if he ever got one all to himself, just would prefer it if he didn't have scars on his face like he did in the past two movies..
J.Napier

Postby The Oracle » Mar 9th, 2014, 10:35 pm

J.Napier wrote:You don't need to be, I was the one that came off that way and I apologize. And well, you wouldn't read much of that since she was just completely silent in the whole thing. But the writer's words are enough.

"Visually, I threw her in a vinyl outfit and made her look as much like a junkie as possible. Harley Quinn is like a stripper to me. I don't want to know her name, I don't want to hear about her life, and I sure as hell don't want her to talk. Just dance, baby..."

Yeah, sounds like great characterization, right?

I thought it might make a somewhat decent fan film though.

Don't really care how they do the Joker in the next movie he gets to be in anyway, or if he ever got one all to himself, just would prefer it if he didn't have scars on his face like he did in the past two movies..

Wow. Someone actually said this?
The Oracle

Favourite Graphic Novel: Batwoman: Elegy

Postby J.Napier » Mar 9th, 2014, 10:40 pm

Yeah, they did.
J.Napier

Postby Harvey Bullock » Mar 9th, 2014, 10:42 pm

Azzarello just went down in my expectations a fair bit with that comment. Wow.
Harvey Bullock

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: DC: The New Frontier

Postby The Oracle » Mar 9th, 2014, 10:47 pm

Harvey Bullock wrote:Azzarello just went down in my expectations a fair bit with that comment. Wow.

I searched up the quote, it's from Bermejo.
The Oracle

Favourite Graphic Novel: Batwoman: Elegy

Postby Harvey Bullock » Mar 9th, 2014, 10:48 pm

The Gotham Knight wrote:
Harvey Bullock wrote:Azzarello just went down in my expectations a fair bit with that comment. Wow.

I searched up the quote, it's from Bermejo.

I was about to say, it seemed fairly un-Azzarello like.
Harvey Bullock

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: DC: The New Frontier

Postby J.Napier » Mar 9th, 2014, 10:49 pm

She was a stripper that didn't talk in that though, so that comment had bearing on how she was written.
J.Napier

Postby batwayne007 » Mar 9th, 2014, 11:07 pm

My simple topic about the clown prince of crime has turned into a discussion about strippers. That actually is pretty funny. Hehehehe hehehehe HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :joker: :lol: :heath:
Batman: DO YOU WANNA GET NUTS??!! COME ON!! let's get nuts.
Joker: Tell me something my friend. Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?
Batman: What?
batwayne007
Banned
Banned

Favourite Villain: MISTAH FREEEZE
Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Knight Returns

Postby Killa_Moff » Mar 10th, 2014, 7:32 am

Still love this image...

Is OP trolling or roleplaying? I can never tell...
Killa_Moff

Favourite Villain: Killer Moth
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman: The Mad Monk

Postby Dark Outlook » Mar 10th, 2014, 8:35 am

Killa_Moff wrote:Still love this image...

Is OP trolling or roleplaying? I can never tell...

Please tell me that isn't Harley...
Dark Outlook

Favourite Villain: Harley Quinn
Favourite Graphic Novel: Knightfall

Postby batman404 » Mar 12th, 2014, 6:39 pm

^ It is.

-

Brian Azzarello and Lee Bermejo's Joker technically came before Chris Nolan and Heath Ledger's, the book was released a few months after the film but the first time Bermejo drew the Joker was in Lex Luthor: Man of Steel (2005). Also, the book (Joker) was in development around the same time as The Dark Knight, and a lot of it was done before anyone saw what Ledger's Joker looked like. It's a common misconception that Joker was influenced by The Dark Knight.

On the subject of the book itself, I really liked it. It was a different take on the Joker and several other characters from the Batman universe that I really enjoyed.

It just seems to me that a lot of people don't understand that Joker is an alternate reality story, the characters are supposed to be different. I'm not saying everyone has to like it though.

As for the portrayal of Harley Quinn being "sexist", I disagree. It was simply a different version of the character. I think the people that call it sexist are just looking for something to complain about. They're entitled to their opinion though of course.

Here's another quote from Bermejo about the version of Harley Quinn in Joker.

It's safe to say that our Harley Quinn is radically different than anything that's been done before. She is deadly, deadly, deadly and completely the 'Bonnie' to The Joker's 'Clyde'. Another example of a character who didn't quite work for me, but then you look at reality and there are plenty of women who fall in love with bad, bad men and do their share of Hell-raising. I definitely don't think of her as just the sexy, bad girl either. Hopefully people will really get that in the story. She may not say a word, but definitely serves a purpose beyond being eye candy.

The quote that was posted previously seems like it was taken way out of context to me.

-

Anyway, I think The Killing Joke would be the best book to pull from if a movie about the Joker was ever made.

-- Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:43 am --

Killa_Moff wrote:Still love this image...

Me too.
batman404

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: YOne and TDKReturns

PreviousNext

Return to Batman Movies Discussion