"Batman VS. Robin" and "Justice League: Gods and Monsters"

Express your love for TDK, your hate for Batman and Robin or your TDKR anticipation. This is the place to discuss The Batman movies.

"Batman VS. Robin" and "Justice League: Gods and Monsters"

Postby The Oracle » Jul 26th, 2014, 8:11 am

Here's what we've just learned from the Batman: Assault On Arkham panel at SDCC: DC/WB's next animated feature films will be Batman VS. Robin, which will also feature the Court Of Owls, and an original story by Bruce Timm who'll also return to direct -- Justice League: Gods And Monsters. Now as anyone who's read Scott Snyder's Court Of Owls arc will know, Batman and Robin don't square off in the story (although there is a bit of tension between he and Nightwing) so this will probably be either an original story featuring Talon and the Court Of Owls, or just a very loose adaptation. The next movie is Gods And Monsters, and will definitely be an original, which Bruce Timm will write and direct. We're fresh out of details on 'em for now, but please speculate in the usual place.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=104435
The Oracle

Favourite Graphic Novel: Batwoman: Elegy

Re: "Batman VS. Robin" and "Justice League: Gods and Monster

Postby batman404 » Jul 26th, 2014, 8:17 am

If they do a loose adaptation of the Court of Owls arc instead of a straight adaptation (like they did with Batman and Son), I'll be pretty pissed off. Of course, it might end up being good... but Son of Batman didn't leave me with much faith in loose adaptations. It was watchable, but it was nothing compared to the book.

Good to hear that Timm's returning though, the quality of these animated movies have been kinda mediocre since he left.
batman404

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: YOne and TDKReturns

Postby MaxSchreck » Jul 26th, 2014, 8:59 am

I am glad that they continue Damians story in Dcs animated version of the new 52. While Son of Batman was mediocre it did nothing really wrong in my opinion except having Bruce give the Robin costume to Damian too quickly and making Deathstroke a lot weaker than he is in the comics.

I wonder if Dick is already Batman in the new movie. If he has a big role it would make more sense to use the Court of Owls as the villains of the film since
Spoiler: show
the Court wanted to recruit Dick before Batman adopted him. Maybe this revelation will even cause the end of the rivalry between him and Damian since the boy starts to appreciate Dick as an ally and realizes how close he came to have a childhood that would have been even worse than what he endured.
Last edited by MaxSchreck on Jul 26th, 2014, 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

"You may have invented being Robin , but I perfected it ." - Damian Wayne
MaxSchreck

Postby Harvey Bullock » Jul 26th, 2014, 9:10 am

This is the only Batman VS. Robin I want to read or watch:

Gods and Monsters sounds awesome though. Always nice to have Timm working again. :adam:
Harvey Bullock

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: DC: The New Frontier

Postby batman404 » Jul 26th, 2014, 10:03 am

MaxSchreck wrote:I am glad that they continue Damians story in Dcs animated version of the new 52. While Son of Batman was mediocre it did nothing really wrong in my opinion except having Bruce give the Robin costume to Damian too quickly and making Deathstroke a lot weaker than he is in the comics.

I wonder if Dick is already Batman in the new movie. If he has a big role it would make more sense to use the Court of Owls as the villains of the film since
Spoiler: show
the Court wanted to recruit Dick before Batman adopted him. Maybe this revelation will even cause the end of the rivalry between him and Damian since the boy starts to appreciate Dick as an ally and realizes how close he came to have a childhood that would have been even worse than what he endured.

Dick as Batman in a Court of Owls movie would be a terrible idea, Bruce as the main character is too integral to the story... being humbled by the city he claims to know so well, searching for the Court at an early age, the family connection, etc. Dick is obviously important to the story as well, but his involvement works best as a side character in this case, not as the lead.
batman404

Postby MaxSchreck » Jul 26th, 2014, 10:47 am

Dick as Batman in a Court of Owls movie would be a terrible idea, Bruce as the main character is too integral to the story... being humbled by the city he claims to know so well, searching for the Court at an early age, the family connection, etc. Dick is obviously important to the story as well, but his involvement works best as a side character in this case, not as the lead.

In theory it could work. If Bruce was shocked to learn of the courts existance how overhelmed must Dick be by the realization that their is a powerful secret society in Gotham that sucessfully managed to hide from the Batfamily all the time ? And on top of that he also has to control Damian somehow who will disobey him at the slightest sign of weakness. The story will be different of course but in the hands of a capable writer it could be just as good.

And personally I think some stuff like Bruce search for the court as a child and the family connection can be adapted out or only refrenced briefly. A lot of people didn´t like the reveal at the end anyway.

"You may have invented being Robin , but I perfected it ." - Damian Wayne
MaxSchreck

Postby Bane » Jul 26th, 2014, 5:00 pm

I didn't like Court of Owls that much so I'm happy it's a loose adaptation, hopefully I'll enjoy it more this time around.

I wish they would just stay away from the New 52 in general though... nearly 8 decades of material to work with and yet they stick with the New 52 just because it's "new" I guess.
Bane

Favourite Villain: Bane
Favourite Graphic Novel: Knightfall

Postby AW8 » Jul 26th, 2014, 6:06 pm

Original story by Bruce Timm?!??!???????????

"All the martial arts ninja training in the world doesn't matter a tinker's damn. The only thing that counts is whether or not you have the will to do what needs to be done. " -Black Mask
AW8

Favourite Graphic Novel: Year One

Postby TheJester » Jul 26th, 2014, 7:49 pm

Don't care that much for BvR but I'm hyped as heck to see Timm return to both write and direct. The animated short he did recently for DC was absolutely phenomenal, and I can't wait to see him return to work on a Justice League project :D
~ I'm not mad, I'm just differently sane. ~
Check out my latest fanfic, Clipped Wings, here!
TheJester

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Postby gonzzCABJ » Jul 27th, 2014, 8:43 am

Well, f*ck. Bruce Timm in, then I am in too!

(Though I would be in either way).

I really hope these movies do good. I think JL: War and Son of Batman were quite weak, so I am crossing my fingers for Assault on Arkham and these three. But, hey, if it is Bruce Timm, then my hopes are high. How awesome would it be if he draws one of these movies (specially considering that the actual drawing is quite shitty, imo)...

Oh, and it would be nice to have other movies besides JL and Batman. I dunno, like one for Wondy, at least?
"That's part of the rule. Never quit. Never let them see you're afraid. Above all -- never let them see you're hurt. Never let them see you cry. Never."
gonzzCABJ

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Postby Harvey Bullock » Jul 27th, 2014, 9:16 am

gonzzCABJ wrote:Well, f*ck. Bruce Timm in, then I am in too!

(Though I would be in either way).

I really hope these movies do good. I think JL: War and Son of Batman were quite weak, so I am crossing my fingers for Assault on Arkham and these three. But, hey, if it is Bruce Timm, then my hopes are high. How awesome would it be if he draws one of these movies (specially considering that the actual drawing is quite shitty, imo)...

Oh, and it would be nice to have other movies besides JL and Batman. I dunno, like one for Wondy, at least?

That's my pet peeve with DC animation too - they're afraid to focus on other characters unless the film also has Superman or Batman in it. Sure we had the GL films and that fantastic Wonder Woman one too, but other characters are more often than not either snubbed or set aside for a showcase.

I've been begging for an adaptation of Green Arrow: Year One for ages now, but we still haven't gotten anything. :(
Harvey Bullock

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: DC: The New Frontier

Postby batman404 » Jul 27th, 2014, 10:40 am

^ I'd rather an adaptation of Longbow Hunters, Year One's already being very loosely adapted and expanded upon in Arrow.

MaxSchreck wrote:

In theory it could work. If Bruce was shocked to learn of the courts existance how overhelmed must Dick be by the realization that their is a powerful secret society in Gotham that sucessfully managed to hide from the Batfamily all the time ? And on top of that he also has to control Damian somehow who will disobey him at the slightest sign of weakness. The story will be different of course but in the hands of a capable writer it could be just as good.

And personally I think some stuff like Bruce search for the court as a child and the family connection can be adapted out or only refrenced briefly. A lot of people didn´t like the reveal at the end anyway.

Eh, I'd just rather they didn't I guess. I love the Court of Owls arc, and a loose adaptation would just rub me the wrong way. Also, I quite liked the ending "reveal", it was left open enough for me to be on board with it and in my opinion it was expertly handled.
batman404

Postby The New Blueguy » Jul 28th, 2014, 11:17 pm

https://twitter.com/JTuckerAnimator

James Tucker just tweeted that Batman vs. Robin is NOT an adaptation of Court of Owls at all. Says the news has been misreported.

Also, apparently while Bruce Timm may have something to do with it, the media messed up again on reporting about JL: Gods and Monsters. Tucker says that it was misreported since Sam Liu is directing and Alan Burnett wrote it.
The New Blueguy

Favourite Villain: The Clock King
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Postby gonzzCABJ » Jul 29th, 2014, 12:38 am

The New Blueguy wrote:https://twitter.com/JTuckerAnimator

James Tucker just tweeted that Batman vs. Robin is NOT an adaptation of Court of Owls at all. Says the news has been misreported.

Also, apparently while Bruce Timm may have something to do with it, the media messed up again on reporting about JL: Gods and Monsters. Tucker says that it was misreported since Sam Liu is directing and Alan Burnett wrote it.

Well, f*ck.
"That's part of the rule. Never quit. Never let them see you're afraid. Above all -- never let them see you're hurt. Never let them see you cry. Never."
gonzzCABJ

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Postby AW8 » Jul 29th, 2014, 5:04 am

Original story by Alan Burnett, still good.

As much as I like panel-for-panel adaptions and loose adaptions, I'd prefer more original stories with these great characters.
"All the martial arts ninja training in the world doesn't matter a tinker's damn. The only thing that counts is whether or not you have the will to do what needs to be done. " -Black Mask
AW8

Favourite Graphic Novel: Year One

Next

Return to Batman Movies Discussion