[OP-ED] How To Do A Live-Action Batman TV Show

Discuss everything regarding The Caped Crusader in here!

What do you think of our vision of a Batman TV show?

You may select 1 option

View results

[OP-ED] How To Do A Live-Action Batman TV Show

Postby Red_Robin » Aug 9th, 2013, 8:01 am

Arrow is launching into a second series and gaining in popularity and last time out we spoke about other DCU properties that would work on TV, but what everyone wants is a Batman TV show.
Ten years ago was the last time that we had a live action show set in Gotham. Birds of Prey, which was cancelled before the first season was completed, was not a flawed premise. There were two major flaws in Birds of Prey and I believe that the show would have lasted for at least the first season if just one of these flaws had been fixed. However, the biggest lessons we can learn from that catastrophe is that you shouldn't change the characters too much and that if your show is set in Gotham, you need to show Batman.
The insecure teenage girl? That's Black Canary. Talk about completely rewriting a character...

Drawing from Existing Shows
Rather than look at what doesn't work, let's look at examples of what does work as how it could be adapted to Gotham to create a success of Batman.

Third Watch
One of the main things that I like about Third Watch is that character development does happen, but is often pushed into the 'B' plot by the action of the show, often a criminal act that needs investigating or a medical emergency that requires the FDNY paramedics to do some quick thinking. What the show does really well though, is allowing events to spiral out of control and forces the characters to really fight for a win. The episodes in which the environment has caused a problem, causing all three emergency service to work together, rather than just dealing with the fall out from a shooting, are some of the most interesting.
More than any other hero, I think that Batman has the scope to have episodes without any super villain appearances at all. I'd love to see Batman and Robin evacuate a burning building, have to dig through rubble to save a trapped child or deal with the car accidents caused by a blizzard.

Person of Interest
I've struggled to get into Jonathan Nolan's PoI, but one thing that stands out is the way that they use digital and personal surveillance as part of the set up for each show. This is definitely something that I could see Batman, Robin, Oracle and even Alfred using throughout the course of the show. While Person of Interest uses a computer program to reveal the victim/perpetrator of the episode (similar to Doyle's visions in Angel), Batman would use it to progress, rather than introduce, an investigation. Oh, and Mr Reese is a bit of a badass - just like Batman.

Sherlock
The critically acclaimed Sherlock from the BBC does many things well, but it's the thought process that goes into detection that would make it perfect for adaptation into Batman. Make the verbal exchanges less eccentric, swap out the text onscreen for text in a detective vision heads-up-display in the cowl and we've got a great way to show off our intelligent characters working with the World's Greatest Detective.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel & Arrow
The action in all of these shows was great and could be easily adapted into a Batman show. The hand-to-hand and weapon fighting is exactly what we'd be looking for in a show featuring the Batclan. Buffy/Giles and Ollie/Dig training scenes would be a must for Bruce/Dick/Tim as well.

Generally however, the relationships in Arrow, particularly at the start of the show, sometimes felt forced (though Slade Wilson/Ollie on the island was great). Whilst I wouldn't want Whedon's distinctive 'Buffy speak' in a Gotham based show, I would absolutely want the natural feeling relationships, progression of relationships and the clear, individual 'voices' of different characters that Whedon brought to both Buffy and Angel.

The Characters
Main cast:
Bruce Wayne/Batman, Alfred Pennyworth, Tim Drake/Robin, Dick Grayson/Nightwing (joins mid-season)

Supporting Cast:
Barbara Gordon/Oracle, Jim Gordon, Renee Montoya, Lucius Fox, Vesper Fairchild, Vicki Vale

Recurring cast:
Jeremiah Arkham, Hush, Joker, Riddler, Leslie Thompkins, Deathstroke & RavagerImage
First off, of all the allies that Batman has worked with, why did I choose Tim Drake? Simply because he's my favourite Robin? No. The only other live-action Batman TV show was the largely parodied Adam West show from the 1960s, which starred Burt Ward as Dick Grayson/Robin. By using a different Robin, there is automatic distance in the mind of the audience between the two shows, whether they acknowledge it or not. In addition, using Tim Drake allows us to utilise both Dick Grayson in his role as Nightwing and use the death of Jason Todd as an oppressive dramatic force.

Wouldn't Damian Wayne allow us to do these things as well? Yes, but Damian brings a lot of complication to the table that would be better told slowly rather than splurged in a pilot episode. Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown also deserve a similar treatment; give them all roles, absolutely, but they'd need to be introduced slowly and properly. Not everything needs to be forced into the first season; we need some stories to tell in season three and four too. Tim, however, has an origin that is fairly easy to explain in exposition, he provides an intelligent sounding board for Batman and at the same time draws in the audience in due to the issues surrounding his lies to his parents (and the subsequent tragedy that comes from that less than honest relationship when his mother is killed).

As the show goes on, the cast would naturally expand, but we have to build our core first and give them their due. It's the same reason that I left Nightwing until later in the season, there are good stories to tell and there is no sense in overloading a new audience too quickly when we can explore relationships, and then see how they change over time and when a new character is introduced. Nightwing would come into the show as a response to Joker returning to Gotham- then we get to explore the reasons he left for Bludhaven, namely Jason's murder. As he reconnects with Bruce and begins to form a brotherly bond with Tim, he decides to stick around and joins our regular cast.

Villains
Whilst some foes may benefit from a more realistic redesign, we feel that classic villains like Joker, Riddler and Two-Face are grounded enough already that there would be little point in redesigning them. Taking cues from Arrow, we liked what they did with the Royal Flush Gang, but we think that Gotham's rogue can be a little more outlandish. Mr Freeze and Poison Ivy should be allowed space to be fantastic, just as Carmine Falcone and Calendar Man should be allowed to be 'normal' and Joker and Mad Hatter should be allows to be jibbering personifications of insanity. The BIG villains should be spaced out over seasons, allowing for day-to-day heroics and more minor villains to have a chance to shine.

With the exceptions of some supporting cast members, Season One is very male-heavy. So Season Two would be about bringing in Catwoman, Ivy and Harley Quinn. They'd form a team, which would be incredibly successful at pulling off crimes, but eventually fall to pieces and see Catwoman going to Batman for help as Ivy prepares to turn Gotham into an island sanctuary for plant life.

Season One Treatment
Batman protects his city from corruption and violence, just like he has for the last six or seven years. About a year ago, however, the Joker murdered Jason Todd (Robin) and crippled Barbara Gordon (Batgirl). Since then, Batman has been careless. Fights have spilled into more public areas and property damage has increased; the Mayor has forced Commissioner Gordon to instigate a shoot-on-sight order for the Batman. Wayne Enterprises business has suffered as a result of Bruce's neglect, forcing him to hire Lucius Fox as the company's CFO (to Bruce's CEO) in the pilot episode.

Over the course of the season, Batman grows from a shut off, emotionally distant man to become more trusting and appreciative of his allies. As a result Bruce Wayne begins to surface more often and Bruce unintentionally enters a love-triangle with Vesper Fairchild and Vicki Vale. Bruce's relationship with Fox ebbs and flows hot and cold as the two argue about how the company should be run.

Alfred Pennyworth is Bruce's rock. The trusted advisor has been with Bruce through thick and thin, but always supports his cause. Alfred often acts as the 'human translator' between Bruce and others- he is especially good at encouraging young heroes.

Fourteen year-old Tim Drake used the downward spiral of the Batman to deduce that Bruce Wayne was behind the mask. After graduating from training in the cave to his debut as Robin in the pilot, Tim Drake is apprentice and assistant to the Batman. Early in the season, Tim's parents are kidnapped, his father put into a coma and his mother killed.

Nightwing would be introduced to the show halfway through the season along with the Joker. We'd discover why he left Gotham and just how much damage Joker caused as he murders Gordon's wife, Sarah, in the Christmas mid-season cliffhanger. Nightwing's first season journey is one of forgiveness; he must forgive Bruce for shutting everyone out and Tim for wearing the uniform after Jason.

Tying into the loss of parents (Bruce, Dick, Tim), the 'big bad' of the first season would be Hush (Bruce's childhood friend Tommy Elliot). Like in the GN, Hush would manipulate villains against Batman and Bruce Wayne in order to exact revenge for Thomas Wayne saving the life of Elliott's mother. Rather than being overtly oppressive, most episodes however would be stand alone tales that reveal character.

Commissioner Gordon is one of the main supporting characters as has several arcs. First, he starts putting together a team of trusted cops who can help him overcome corruption in the department and, over the course of several seasons, the Mayor's office. During this campaign to find trusted cops and destroy the infrastructure that allows corruption to work, Jim also expands the pool of police officers who work with the Batman. Montoya and, reluctantly, Bullock become Batman's main contact for a couple of episodes after the mid-season break as Gordon takes time off to mourn his wife (killed by Joker in the mid-season finale).

Whilst the Bruce-Tim-Alfred trio would be the core of the show, there would be at least three episodes in which they are pushed into the background: one episode focusing on Oracle (Barbara Gordon), another fleshing out a day-in-the-life of a solid GCPD detective working in a corrupt department and the third where Vicki Vale would begin an earnest investigation into the identity of the Batman- forcing the Batboys to plant misleading trails.

The key to a successful show is to have at least one interesting plot for each character that threads though the series. This will usually be solved in an arc's 'B' plot, but occasionally it will emerge as an 'A' plot after being a 'C' plot over the span of several stories. Vicki Vale's investigation would be an example of this. By having interesting character arcs for the supporting characters, we remove those 'switch-off' moments and create an hour of television that is engaging wall-to-wall, rather than the audience simply waiting for Batman to be back on screen. We come to the show for Batman, we stay for the engaging stories.

WB Doesn't Want To use Bruce Wayne? Alternative Options

Gotham Heights
The Graysons was a pre-Robin show that was announced and cancelled before pilot that would have starred Dick Grayson before he met Batman. Yeah, I know. Pointless, right?
What could work though is a High School show (think early Buffy or Smallville) based upon Tim Drake. Why have a Robin series if Batman is around? Well, start the series at the beginning of Knightfall and Robin is forced to work by himself as Bruce Wayne takes time away to heal. The more independent Robin would have to sneak around his dad, lie to his friends and let himself get pushed around at school to be able to operate in a Gotham without Bruce Wayne. The show could feature Batman villians, the descent to madness of replacement Batman, Jean-Paul Valley and even Grayson as Nightwing.

The problem with the old Birds of Prey show wasn't the concept of a group of women fighting crime, but that they changed the characters so that the tone of the show was a mopey Charmed-lite. However, due to the disastrous first-time-out, it's unlikely that a studio would be willing to develop another TV show based on the team. Instead, how about:

Batgirl, Inc
Barbara Gordon, Cassandra Cain, Stephanie Brown. A young woman and two teenage girls on the cusp of adulthood. A mentor and two protégés. All of them going by the name; Batgirl.

Gotham Central
This was so nearly a TV show in 2003 that it isn't even funny. The abysmal reception, and swift cancellation, of Birds of Prey lead to a 'no Batman shows' rule at WB, who didn't want to damage the brand for future film sales. In a 2006 interview, writer of the comic series, Ed Brubaker confirmed that, if it were not for the failure of Birds of Prey, they "could have set up Gotham Central at WB in a heartbeat." The premise of this show makes so much sense that rumours of it's revival reappear every couple of years.

Batman Beyond
Perhaps the most obvious Batman show without Bruce Wayne, would actually have Bruce involved in it. The way that we get around that, though is that Bruce is now in his seventies. There is no way he can be Batman. In fact, for reason that will not become known until later in the series, there has been no Batman for the last 25 years. Enter Terry McGuiness, the teenager who will take a chauffeur job with Wayne as he trains to become the new Batman.

Now that you've read them, I have to confess that, with the exception of Batman Beyond, all of the alternatives are cheats. I consider them cheats because they're simply condensed and repackaged aspects of the main idea.

So there you have it, not only a suggestion, but a full pitch and treatment for how to represent Batman on the small screen.

What do you think of our Batman TV series? Would you do something differently?
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: No Man's Land

Re: [OP-ED] How To Do A Live-Action Batman TV Show

Postby Pieter » Aug 9th, 2013, 8:22 am

All those ideas sound fantastic especially the main Batman show and Batgirl Inc. !
But I have one idea that I shared in the DC section that I want to share again.

Grayson

My pitch is that this show takes place right after Dick's falling out with Bruce and he doesn't know what to do. He moves to Blüdhaven and he sees that this a city that needs his help even more than Gotham does. The first season he goes fighting crime in the shadows without a superhero identity and in the final episode of Season 1 he realises what he has to be and what he wants to call himself as the show goes on in it's later seasons we'll see characters that have a connection to Dick.
I died once. It was boring, so I stood up
Pieter

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Black Mirror

Postby ChaosThe15th » Aug 9th, 2013, 9:00 am

I would love it but all these huge characters and this huge franchise just makes me think would be more suited for the big screen...

My dream tv show based on the batman mythos would be a GCPD show centered around gordon , it could include many more obscure villians while also adding a few large ones , and batman would NOT need to appear.
ChaosThe15th

Favourite Villain: Mr. Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Postby Harvey Bullock » Aug 9th, 2013, 9:49 am

I really like your idea for the show R_R, especially the bat-family that is established throughout the show. However, I'd much prefer a Gotham Central TV show.

But again, I'd be happy with either. :adam:
Harvey Bullock

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: DC: The New Frontier

Postby TFDutchman » Aug 9th, 2013, 11:40 am

I would definitely go for a Batman series based off the same style as Sherlock, and even mixed in with elements from Person of Interest.

But overall I definitely think a 3 episode season and each episode with a runtime of 90mins. Putting a huge focus on Batman's skills as a detective, with assistance from Alfred Pennyworth (equivalent to John Watson) and Oracle (in a POI-like Mr. Finch role feeding Batman information on leads and targets out in the field using her incredible skills as a hacker). Other characters such as Commissioner Gordon, Harvey Bullock, Harvey Dent and Vicky Vale would all make appearances throughout the series.

Ideally this would be my layout (using Sherlock as a guide):-

Batman: The Dark Knight
Season 1
Ep 1 - Batman is on the trail of a string of murders believed to be the work of a crazed serial killer. All of these targets, however, seemed to be picked on purpose and not random victims. While all the victims are killed in the same way, Batman comes to the conclusion that it's not one killer. It's multiple. All with the same style of killing. Throughout the episode we're given the history and background of Bruce's family, his parent's murder and his journey across the world to train and become Batman.

Ep 2 - Batman investigates corruption and crimes that are seemingly tied to one Oswald Cobblepot. though Cobblepot himself appears clean Batman must dig deep to try and connect a wave of increasingly violent crimes, and a verified crime syndicate, in connection to one of Gotham's most elite citizens.

Ep 3 - In the season finale Bruce shows a human side of himself as he takes a date out to the circus. While watching the aerial performances of the Flying Graysons, a vicious explosion rips through the tent killing and injuring innocents including two of the star performers. Orphaned and homeless, with the circus in ruin, Bruce takes teenager Dick Grayson home and welcomes him to stay until he is able to get on his feet. As Bruce investigates the events at the circus, Grayson begins to do the same. Batman tracks the perpetrators of the circus explosion from one violent crime to the next, with Grayson also following the leads himself. Batman, of course, is aware of Dick investigating the crimes, but does nothing to dissuade him. All of it leads to a confrontation and reveal of the Moriarty-inspired Joker. As Batman confronts Joker, Grayson has found himself the unwitting hostage of the clown prince. Grayson manages his own escape and gives Batman the opportunity necessary to take Joker down. While Dick doesn't yet become Robin, this episode sets the stage for his Season 2 induction. Locked away in Arkham Asylum, Joker is manic and the episode closes as he is introduced to his new psychiatrist, Dr. Harleen Quinzel.

Season 2
Ep 1 - There's a new cat burglar in town and this one might just steal Batman's heart at the same time.

Ep 2 - Harvey Dent is Gotham's favourite DA as he works closely with Jim Gordon and the Batman to clean the streets of Gotham. He has everything he could hope for including the gorgeous red headed Pamela Isley as his date. Pamela, however, is an ecoterrorist with a penchant for deadly toxins and chemicals and in an attempt to kill Harvey Dent ends up scarring him for life. Not only will Batman have to deal with the capture and arrest of Pamela "Poison Ivy" Isley, but he'll also have to confront the out of control and schizophrenic Harvey "Two-Face" Dent whose driven crazy by his desire to see Isley dead and willing to kill anyone who gets in his way. Episode concludes with Dick discovering the Batcave and learning that Bruce Wayne is Batman.

Ep 3 - Beginning in Arkham Asylum, the Joker is resting comfy as he looks forward to another visit from his favourite psychiatrist. This visit is different however as Dr. Quinzel shows up in a brand new outfit, some makeup and breaks her puddin' out of the Asylum. On the loose and looking for a playdate with the Batman, Joker and Harley Quinn go out on a rampage turning Gotham into hell. Quinn and Joker are so wild and unpredictable that not even Batman alone can keep up with them and he might just need some help as Dick Grayson becomes Robin for the first time in the series.

"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder."
TFDutchman

Favourite Villain: Two-Face
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Postby Paradox » Aug 9th, 2013, 12:51 pm

I'd love to see Batman or Gotham Central make it to air, but I think TFDutchman's 90-minute format would work a lot better, just with the plotlines, focuses and characters you highlighted. Personally, I'd prefer to see Batman working alone or to just have Nightwing or Batgirl at his side. And the 90-minute format would allow a main, large plot with an A-List villain to be concentrated on in each episode, and a smaller plot that deals with a recurring character or a lesser-known villain to be focused on too.

あなたをファック
Paradox

Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman: Reborn

Postby Mr Wayne » Aug 9th, 2013, 6:06 pm

Would love the main batman show. I do think after his JLA exploits we'll be getting a batman show of some sort tbh. I'd like RR idea mixed with what TFD said a few posts up but rather than a 90 minute 3 episode season do a game of thrones style season. I mean as a fan I'd love game of thrones to be longer but it is what it is for a reason and I think a batman show which is 65-70 mins and a 10 episode season would be epic. I especially like hush as a villain for a whole season. Kind of playing out one of the hush novels or taking hints from it. Having a 10 episode season also gives us a chance to see some iconic moments we wouldn't necessarily see on film. Take bane breaking batman for example, we won't see that in film again for a loooooong time after TDKR but we could see it on a show with a season later Jean Paul as bats or if they wanted to include Jason have his death as a climax at the end of a season carrying on into another.

Good article RR.

Tell me, Do you Bleed?

You Will.

http://www.onegamersperspective.co.uk/
Mr Wayne

Favourite Villain: Thomas Elliot.
Favourite Graphic Novel: Heart Of Hush.

Postby Benji » Aug 9th, 2013, 6:13 pm

Love your ideas RR, especially for season two showing the team of Harley, Ivy and Cats. :catwoman2:

Storms come and go. The big fish eat the little fish and I keep on paddling.
Benji

Favourite Villain: Team Rocket
Favourite Graphic Novel: Long Halloween

Postby Red_Robin » Aug 11th, 2013, 1:17 pm

Thanks for praise on ideas. CROD and I were actually talking about this one before the DCU TV shows, but I wanted to spend more time on the Gotham show.
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby batman404 » Aug 11th, 2013, 2:06 pm

A lot of great ideas RR! I've still got my heart set on a Gotham Central tv show though.
batman404

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: YOne and TDKReturns

Postby Red_Robin » Oct 7th, 2013, 9:27 pm

Slightly old news now, but bumping for the FOX Gotham Central/Jim Gordon show:
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/09/25/g ... -tv-series
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kain9998 » Oct 17th, 2013, 7:02 am

My thoughts:

Spoiler: show
I like the main concept... if it's the beginning of, like, season 2 or 3. See, the main problem is that the audience won't all be big Bat-fans, comic readers, etc. How can you explain so much in the beginning of one season? The beginning doesn't have to be an origin... but why not do some great Year One stuff? Why not build up everything? This idea has so much potential and greatness, so why jump right into Todd? I want to see Red Hood become the Joker. I wanna see him be an antagonist of one of the first episodes, showcasing Batman's earliest encounter with a "super villain". Then at the end of the episode, I wanna see Joker's white hand rise out of the acid or something along those lines. I want to see and experience the potential that is Batman's early years. Like Origins Batman, I want one that makes mistakes, and has to learn from them. Similar to how Arrow has been playing out, I want to actually experience Batman's rise.

Of course, it's all been done before. But think of the number of people who will miss out! We may have seen Red Hood become the Joker in comics, but THIS would be out chance to see it on screen - and why bother doing it in flashbacks when you can dramatatize it even more by using it as a key point in the first season? This would also let us see far less dangerous cast members come into play, which can increase in difficulty and make Batman a better fighter, detective, and all around bad-ass hero. You could show characters like Croc pre-mutation, and then as the show and Batman progresses, you can have villains like him progress with it. You could make us feel sorry for Croc as he mutates further and further, but at the same time show how as he grows, he becomes more and more challenging for a still-evolving Batman.

I love your ideas. Seriously, I love them. The whole set-up for Bruce being reckless after Jason's death is just a great way to start off a season. But think of the potential. Think of the possible stories. You wanna do Hush? Great! That sounds awesome. But why not introduce Thomas Elliot real early on? Why not have him be a supporting cast member, and slowly over the course of the series begin revealing his dark intentions? This could make him so much better if he is introduced to a younger Bruce, who hasn't even been back in Gotham for a year. Think about it: Bruce just comes back, and already a ghost from the past is haunting him. But Thomas is a friendly character, one who seems like a true brother to Bruce. But then, when he does become Hush, things get so much more emotional. If you can evolve Bruce/Tommy over the course of a season or two, starting from Bruce's early years, and then slowly begin to set Tommy up for Hush... you have an overall more impactful story. (In my opinion - that's really up for debate.)

You'd just be able to show so much more this way. Plus, here's a big thing for shows: hooking people in. I'm concerned about the idea of trying to explain so much in flashbacks. You don't want to confuse newcomers, and turn them away. Don't assume anyone has previous knowledge of Batman. Even if you took the Arrow rout and did flashbacks in every episode, that's still a lot to tell. How many villains with Batman have met by now? Going by comics standards, quite a few. I mean - on the subject of Arrow - quite a few villains were introduced in Season One alone. You don't have to have Batman meeting that much new faces in that short of a time frame, but by the time you have set up, Batman will have met at least some villains like Mad Hatter, Calander Man, etc. who aren't so much of a threat that he truly struggles, but enough to challenge him ever so slightly. Batman's gotta have some enemies, and how can you explain to people these characters who aren't popular with newcomers? It'd just be so much simpler to show their origins. Plus, it would create more emotional depth for some of the characters (like I said about Croc). For example: What the hell drove Jervis Tetch over the edge? If you do flashbacks, it'd be a bit harder to show Mad Hatter's origin on Jervis' side. In a flashback, why would we see the origin of some of the villains when Bruce/Batman was not around? Like, what if Jervis' girlfriend broke up with him in a horribly cruel manner, and that is what lead him to becoming the Hatter? Sure you could have Bruce see it. You could have Tetch mention it when Bruce is around, etc. But why do that when we can just experience the transformation in one more emotionally involved episode?

The new fans won't know Anarky, Mad Hatter, Great White Shark, Magpie, KG Beast, Lady Shiva, etc. So I guess what I am trying to say is... build up to your biggest points with origins and years 1, 2 ,etc. Show the viewers your own versions of the characters, and how they came to be. Let the viewer experience Batman's life as it progresses. Show us that he does make mistakes, but that he learns from them. Allow us to watch early friends later turn to the most deadliest of foes. Show the raw, sometimes heartbreaking, enraging, or even happy emotions that this show could radiate if starting from an early point. Let's watch Jason Todd meet Bruce Wayne, and eventually die end-season, only to have Bruce in a rage at the start of the next. Don't start your story in the middle.

I know I said a lot... but I typed all this because the idea itself is just brilliant. I love it, as I said before. But I just know that I would want to experience the story near the beginning, and also know that I'm not the only one who would like that, I think if you started early and built up all your major moments (i.e. Bruce's rage), then you've got yourself a total winner.

But seriously, I really do love this idea. :adam:
Feel free to check out my site, Spider-Verse RP (A Spider-Man RPG!)

http://ultimatespiderman.boardhost.com/index.php
kain9998

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow

Postby MaxSchreck » Oct 17th, 2013, 11:59 am

A year one show would also be really great , I agree . Espacially since it could tell the backstory of the Batman from Man of Steel 2 . It'll also be easier to adapt than Tims origin . I've been trying to imagine what could happen in the first few episodes of the Tim show but everything I come up with just does not feel right . How does he first meet Dick ? When is he allowed to wear the costume for the first time ? Which villain does he fight ? Maybe it would really be easier to make a Knightfall lile show as Red Robin suggested.

"You may have invented being Robin , but I perfected it ." - Damian Wayne
MaxSchreck

Postby kain9998 » Oct 17th, 2013, 9:25 pm

Another thing I forgot to mention is why skip over Grayson Robin? Sure he doesn't have the best live action TV rep, but if you started from early on in Batman's career, and showed his first meeting with Dick, him training Robin, and then the two fighting together, you could make Robin a freaking awesome character who has no similarities to the Adam West Robin.
Feel free to check out my site, Spider-Verse RP (A Spider-Man RPG!)

http://ultimatespiderman.boardhost.com/index.php
kain9998

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow

Postby Killa_Moff » Oct 30th, 2013, 1:10 am

Gangs Of Gotham

I think Batman should take a backseat in a potential tv series. Instead there should be a focus on the underbelly of Gotham... the villains. One of the most appealing aspects of the Arkham series is the conflict between the various gangs. Penguin, Joker, Bane, etc. Batman should be nothing more than a supporting character. GCPD, Blackgate and Arkham Asylum should be featured heavily, following various 'cops and robbers' throughout. Corruption should be a major theme of the series.
Killa_Moff

Favourite Villain: Killer Moth
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman: The Mad Monk

Next

Return to Batman General Discussion