How would you portray your favourite villains?

Discuss everything regarding The Caped Crusader in here!

How Would You Write Them?

Postby Enigma » Oct 18th, 2014, 1:33 am

I've been thinking recently about how I would write some of Batman's villains. It's an interesting exercise, and it's also fun to hear what other people would do differently. So, I thought I would make this thread for people to share how they would write a character. Remember, there is no wrong answer! :)

Spoiler: show
There was a thread with the same purpose entitled, funnily enough, How would you portray your favourite villains?, but I thought I would make a new one in order to keep it more accessible.

Here's an example of my own:

Killer Croc
Killer Croc would initially be an urban legend, much like Batman: the 'crocodile man' living in the sewers. He would be a low-level presence and not an immediate red flag for Batman or the GCPD. That is, until these low-level crimes would begin to tally up around the sewers in a suspicious fashion. In the meantime, Killer Croc would be off-and-on support to a group of fellow outcasts posted in the sewers. While not essentially friends, due to his distrustful nature, physical deformities and perchance for crime, these vagrants would be one of Killer Croc's few tethers to humanity.

The urban legend would be broken, of course, with Killer Croc's apprehension at the hands of Batman and the GCPD. Who knew there were crocodiles in the sewers after all? And his growing infamy, played upon by the media and his acquisition of the name "Killer Croc," would edge him to ascend from the sewers and become begrudging muscle-for-hire. (As an independent-minded individual, inspired in part due to his lifelong rejection, the fun would come in the crime itself - as a means to get back on the world - and self-benefit, not the contractual position of being someone's muscle itself.) His imposing physical appearance and stature, backed by his enhanced physical ability, would lend to these roles when he chose them.

The extent of Killer Croc's physical deformation, as a result of his aggressive atavism, would be in line with his appearance in Batman: Thrillkiller. (A man with a condition, not a six-eyed dinosaur.) But his general appearance would remain, albeit less bodybuilder-looking.
Enigma

Favourite Graphic Novel: Knightfall vol. 1

Re: How Would You Write Them?

Postby batman404 » Oct 18th, 2014, 3:02 pm

GeneralSmashy made a thread like this years ago.

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=3903

There are some pretty interesting ideas in there.
batman404

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: YOne and TDKReturns

Postby TheJester » Oct 18th, 2014, 6:55 pm

batman404 wrote:GeneralSmashy made a thread like this years ago.

I just re-read the entire thread and the memories are flooding back to me :oldyella:
~ I'm not mad, I'm just differently sane. ~
Check out my latest fanfic, Clipped Wings, here!
TheJester

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Postby Enigma » Oct 18th, 2014, 8:17 pm

You didn't read the OP, did you?
Enigma

Postby batman404 » Oct 19th, 2014, 7:20 am

Enigma wrote:

You didn't read the OP, did you?

I did, except what was in the spoiler bar (have now, since I figured that's what you were referring to, not sure why it was hidden though). I try not to open too many unexplained spoiler bars on this site, I've been randomly burned too many times. Still, I don't see how reviving the old thread would've made it less accessible. It could've continued the discussion and shared a lot of great ideas with people who maybe weren't around to read them at the time.

No big deal though.
batman404

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: YOne and TDKReturns

Re: How would you portray your favourite villains?

Postby Enigma » Oct 19th, 2014, 7:50 am

Thanks for the amalgamation.

Jonathan Crane / The Scarecrow
The following isn't anything ground breaking, but it’s my summation of Jonathan Crane:

The Scarecrow is a persona which Jonathan Crane takes on to funnel himself into something more than himself. There's a bit of an Übermensch struggle at play. From years of being mocked, outcast and unappreciated, Jonathan Crane – the identity – is not fit to serve the Scarecrow’s needs. Just as Oswald Cobblepot rejects the moniker of the "Penguin," as it sums up his perceived shortcomings, the Scarecrow rejects the identity of "Jonathan Crane." (“There is no Crane, only Scarecrow!”) So, he envelops himself in a theatrical costume. His fear toxin is the icing on the cake, which elevates him from a man in a costume to an entity.

It’s all a power trip, in which Jonathan Crane, through the Scarecrow, can take control of his victims. In this state, he can do with his projects as he pleases. Most commonly, this will include prying into their fears, studying them, overwhelming and breaking them psychologically. And when he does this, Jonathan Crane has no remorse for his actions.

Of course, no matter what the Scarecrow does, he will always be Jonathan Crane. Although no longer holstered, the man is still present behind the facade of the Scarecrow. This is the human element of the character. He can't escape what he is, even if he attempts to become something more.

I believe the Scarecrow's appearance should be theatrical. It's a vessel in which Jonathan Crane can overcome himself and act unrestricted. I'm fond of Tim Sale's design, which my idealized Scarecrow would probably look like with a few modifications.
Enigma

Penguin

Postby Red Hood Jason » Dec 4th, 2015, 4:52 am

[quote="RonnyGreen"]The Penguin's delusions of grandeur are just that. [i]Delusions[/i]. He dragged himself up from the gutter and, like the Emperor Claudius, pretended to be a bumbling fool to survive the various gang-wars that went on before Batman showed up. Eventually he was the last man standing and could engage in all his decadent fanatsies and give full reign to his vindictive, Nixonian paranoia.[/quote]

Kinda what he did during the first season of Gotham.
Red Hood Jason

Previous

Return to Batman General Discussion