Treasure Chest Comics #8: Morning Glories

Here you'll find the community's thoughts and reviews on their favourite comics of all time. Feel feel to have YOUR say when ever you wish!

Treasure Chest Comics #8: Morning Glories

Postby Red_Robin » Jan 22nd, 2012, 6:07 pm

Morning Glories
by Dark Flux

Morning Glories is easily one of my favourite books on my pull list and yet writing about it presents something of a challenge in that there’s no way in hell I’m going to risk revealing spoilers about the plot.
The gradual reveals, character development and mind bending questions that are raised every issue are so integral to the enjoyment and reading experience of the book that to reveal them in any other way than as to how the creators intended is to do an injustice to the reader. Hell, even the official solicitations for each issue only ever consist of one word so as to not ruin the surprise.

Thus, there will be no issue by issue recap for this feature and instead I’ll just try my darndest to tell you what the series is about without telling you anything in particular :)

It’s probably worth noting that the summary I’m about to gives covers the gist of the first dozen issues or so. The series is currently set to run for 100 issues and such is the nature of the book that I have absolutely no idea where things are headed or if this will still hold true one year from now.

Morning Glories is basically the story of six young individuals who enrol at a prestigious and exclusive educational academy. They quickly come to realise that Morning Glory Academy is not your average prep school.

Stuff like this tends to happen quite a bit...

The staff seems to have a hidden agenda and are not adverse to pushing the students to reach their full potential via the most extreme methods. If the odd student should have to be sacrificed for the sake of a better future, what the hey?
Guards patrol the hallways to prevent any attempt of escape and enforce the will of the ever illusive Headmaster who pulls strings from the shadows. Electromagnetic devices buzz away in the basement, the school nurse is a psycho and there’s that constant feeling that “things just aren’t quite right here…”

I’ll not get into the homicidal mental patients, time travelling shadows, 15th century Spanish Monasteries, secret society rituals or what the hell “What did you see when you’re eyes were opened?” is supposed to mean.

One of the biggest virtues of the series is its strong characterisation of the six “Glories” themselves. Right from their initial introductions in issue 1 you instantly get a handle on who they are and what they’re about. Further issues seek to expand on their back stories and what motivates them, each having much deeper psychological issues or ties to the goings on at the Academy then initial thought.
They conflict and mesh together so well and in such an entertaining way that it’s a joy to see their relationships develop and I guarantee that the one Glory you can’t stand, another reader will be madly in love with.

The closest parallel I could give to Morning Glories would be the television show; Lost.
Remember Lost? Morning Glories is Lost in a school.

Remember how everyone on the plane was a stranger but had a very deep and involving back story that slowly developed over the course of the series?

Remember how every character was seemingly connected to the island and went through trials that mirrored conflicts from their past lives?

Remember the mind#### of how people from the survivors past lives were somehow on the island, or people from the island were somehow involved in the survivors past lives?

Remember the hints at the ancient civilisations responsible for the island?

Remember the polar bear?

…okay maybe not the polar bear. But something as equally out of place.

But reducing Morning Glories to the gimmicky pitch of “Lost in a school” is to do it a disservice. It stands perfectly upon its own merits.
It is a rich, detailed, mysterious, sometimes frustratingly maddening series full of intrigue and shock moments. And its only 15 issues in!

The one aspect in which I hope Morning Glories will differ from Lost is in the eventual concluding chapters. Writer Nick Spencer has stated on numerous occasions that he plans for the series to conclude after 100 issues, that he has every aspect of the plot mapped out and that there will be answers.
I can only hope that this proves to be true and that there is a true sense of closure at the finale.

But on the other hand, to use a clichéd anecdote; it’s the journey, not the destination that matters. And so far, the journey has been amazing and I can’t wait to see what happens next.
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: No Man's Land

Re: Treasure Chest Comics #8: Morning Glories

Postby Paradox » Jan 22nd, 2012, 9:08 pm

This sounds really good! Great review, also.
I enjoyed Lost and I enjoy mysteries, so I'll definitely try this out, now or when it gets to trade paperback.

あなたをファック
Paradox

Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman: Reborn

Postby DarkFlux » Jan 22nd, 2012, 9:28 pm

Two trades and a deluxe hardcover already out.
No excuse! ;P
DarkFlux

Favourite Villain: Ras Al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Knight Returns

Postby Red_Robin » Jan 22nd, 2012, 10:14 pm

I'll be getting the first trade this week. As I said to DarkFlux earlier, I've had my eye on this series for a while; TCC#8 has made me want to get my hands on it.
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Graphic Novel: No Man's Land

Postby Crane » Jan 22nd, 2012, 10:47 pm

That was a pretty entertaining review, Sounds good Never heard about it before but I will attemp to buy it ASAP

-- Jan 22nd, 2012, 10:48 pm --

That was a pretty entertaining review Dark Flux, Sounds good Never heard about it before but I will attempt to buy it ASAP.

-- Jan 22nd, 2012, 10:49 pm --

That was a pretty entertaining review Dark Flux, Sounds good Never heard about it before but I will attempt to buy it ASAP.
Made by Bane
Crane

Favourite Villain: ScarecrowTwoface
Favourite Graphic Novel: TDKReturns

Postby DarkFlux » Jan 22nd, 2012, 11:17 pm

Indie books always need more readers :)

Lemme know what you think if you get around to checking it out.
DarkFlux

Postby TheJester » Jan 22nd, 2012, 11:20 pm

When I saw the first image I thought 'modern day Famous Five' XD

Anyhow, that looks awesome! I'll definitely have to check it out sometimes. When you say 100 issues, do you mean actual comics, or chapters like in manga?
~ I'm not mad, I'm just differently sane. ~
Check out my latest fanfic, Clipped Wings, here!
TheJester

Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Postby DarkFlux » Jan 22nd, 2012, 11:23 pm

Actual comics.

This is providing that sales stay strong enough for the series to last that long though...
Though i believe trade sales have been good so hopefully that gives em some incentive to continue.
DarkFlux

Postby LiAm_SOLLO- » Jan 22nd, 2012, 11:25 pm

Seems like a good comic. I haven't really read anything other than superhero comics before. Except when i was little I had Simpson comics.
Thankyou Maultest!
LiAm_SOLLO-

Favourite Villain: Deathstroke, KM
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman: Hush

Postby Paradox » Jan 23rd, 2012, 12:44 am

DarkFlux wrote:Two trades and a deluxe hardcover already out.
No excuse! ;P

Just ordered Volume 1 along with Part 1 of Knightfall. :adam:
Thank you for alerting me of this! Only £7 as well! Bargain.

あなたをファック
Paradox

Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman: Reborn

Postby TFDutchman » Jan 23rd, 2012, 1:29 am

I may just have to go and find the Deluxe hardcover (as I have a preference of HCs over TPBs) but being a fan of lost, and mysteries and things that will leave me sitting there thinking, "hmmm, I wonder if this is what it's all about" then I may definitely have to get my hands on it

"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder."
TFDutchman

Favourite Villain: Two-Face
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Postby Zur-en-ah » Jan 23rd, 2012, 3:53 pm

awesome read ... I'm trying to make a real effort to read books that don't feature "capes" so will def be checking this out ... cheers for bringing it to our attention!
Zur-en-ah

Postby DarkFlux » Jan 23rd, 2012, 9:03 pm

Cool, glad you guys are thinking of checking it out.
Let me know what you think. And of any theories you may have about just what the hells going on :)
DarkFlux

Postby LiAm_SOLLO- » Jan 24th, 2012, 10:00 am

I Read Morning Glories #1. Its really good so far.
Thankyou Maultest!
LiAm_SOLLO-

Favourite Villain: Deathstroke, KM
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman: Hush

Postby BobGun » Jan 24th, 2012, 5:23 pm

Another excellent TCC, Dark Flux!

This is a great example of something that would probably stay on the shelf if I saw it in a store, but now I'm interested. I think I'll definitely give this a go.
BobGun

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: Devil's Advocate

Next

Return to Treasure Chest Comics