Treasure Chest Comics #18: Batman Year 100

Here you'll find the community's thoughts and reviews on their favourite comics of all time. Feel feel to have YOUR say when ever you wish!

Treasure Chest Comics #18: Batman Year 100

Postby Red_Robin » Jan 1st, 2013, 6:18 pm

Batman Year 100
by B Wiggs

If you've read any of the Batman graphic novels, make this one a must. Taking place 100 years later into the Bat's career, since 1939, we see him face-to-face with a dystopian world. The way Paul Pope presents Batman Year 100 shows us that these harsh conditions are no closer to fantasy than they are to reality. The Dark Knight has seen better days - mentally he's there, but physically he's taken a toll. On top of our hero's diminshing strength, the government and everyone else is open to rumors and skeptics. For more suspense, you'll learn if a hero truly has the right to a secret identity. The future has not been kind to Gotham City and Batman intends to find a will and a way.

Hot on his heels, our hero is seen scaling rooftops, outrunning attack dogs. As excessive pants are made, we see our Caped Crusader at a halt. Batman's age has progressed, and so does his survival, testing his lasting will power. This leads the government to believe that this "Batman" has been alive for a century. Could the same billionaire playboy still be alive after all these years? Stranger things have happened and Gotham's no stranger to that! Either way, his presence creates an upscale manhunt for a murder he did not commit, but witnessed. If that wasn't bad enough, the GCPD (Gotham City Police Department) is trying to co-exist with a higher power, the FPC (Federal Police Corps). Of course the need for law enforcement eventually becomes more and more officious once involved with the infamous Batman case.

The crime in question for Batman becomes a more than measurable conspriacy. How this man died remains to be a complete conjecture, but this dead man tells such a tale! With the GCPD relieved of the murder case and the FPC holding the reigns now, Batman is caught in the middle balancing tension between these two police forces. The body is kept uptown outside of Gotham, under the watchful eyes of the FPC. Batman goes to work! His aid comes from his now older ward, Robin, doctor and friend, Kris Gross, and her daughter, Tora, specializing in computer security (think of her as Batman's current Oracle). Infiltrating through vents and shafts, with the use of ropes and a very complex pulley system, Batman is en route towards the morgue. Proper abstraction of the victim's resting place begins, and a thorough investigation ends with a most peculiar, yet clever discovery. A porcelain, gold-filled tooth is found in the cadaver's mouth containing a government cypher code-named, "Fleshkiller."

Along with the medley of potential disturbances Batman has dealt with over the years, a new, more devastating threat is just waiting to be put into fruition. Not only has Gotham changed drastically, but Batman's constant adaptations to his surroundings keep him undetected and unpredictable. A future where everything is known, nothing is safe, and privacy is no longer existent is a stressful one, and the only anomaly yet to be forgotten is the Batman! Amid the chaos, the most major influence cast down onto Batman is by a certain commissioner's grandson. While Gotham's Dark Knight may avoid struggle with an ever-changing world, it won't keep him from coming to terms with the biggest revelation of all: "What is crime? Who are the criminals now?"

To conclude, my admiration for the Caped Crusader continues to amaze me. With Batman Year 100, a question I've been yearning to answer has taken me farther into fandom: How far can we take Batman? As far as science-fiction can take him, I said to myself.The way Pope throws a monkey-wrench, such as Batman, into an immense, evolving world is both a bold and inventive move. Limited in gadgets, here we see a Batman who only has his mind at his disposal. How Batman copes with a futuristic setting shows just how innovative his mind really works. From square one, his secret knowledge is minor and has yet to learn what criminal minds have thought up next. Pope's graphic novel is a perfect example of the Dark Knight's difficulty as a detective and shows us that he doesn't shy away from help if need be. Batman Year 100 remains to be one of my favorite graphic novels because, not only has Batman stood the test of time but proves he is timeless as well.
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: No Man's Land

Re: Treasure Chest Comics #18: Batman Year 100

Postby Harvey Bullock » Jan 2nd, 2013, 12:05 am

That was a great read! Always seen year 100 on shelves but never gave it a shot. Might just do that now! :)
Harvey Bullock

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: DC: The New Frontier

Postby Red Batman » Jan 2nd, 2013, 1:49 am

No offense, but the art looks like something outta a horror story, and how exactly is Batman able to live to 100 and still be able to fight?

And how is this different from The Dark Knight Returns?
Red Batman

Favourite Villain: Killer Croc
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman: Hush

Postby batman404 » Jan 2nd, 2013, 2:32 am

^ It's never confirmed or denied that Bruce Wayne is Batman in this book (I really don't think that it's Bruce though), it's very different from The Dark Knight Returns & in my opinion the art is amazing.

Great read B Wiggs, one of the best choices for a TCC i've seen yet. I bloody love Year 100... One of many criminally underrated Batman books, hopefully this'll get more people to give it a look-see.
batman404

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: YOne and TDKReturns

Postby BobGun » Jan 2nd, 2013, 5:20 pm

That was a good read, B Wiggs, and a great choice. It is a very underrated book, and I bought it purely for its concept. Well worth checking out.
BobGun

Favourite Graphic Novel: Devil's Advocate

Postby jaga 321 » Jan 2nd, 2013, 7:32 pm

batman can live to 100 and have razor sharp teeth...
you learn somthing new every day!
jaga 321

Postby batman404 » Jan 3rd, 2013, 4:54 am

jaga 321 wrote:batman can live to 100 and have razor sharp teeth...

Again...

batman404 wrote:It's never confirmed or denied that Bruce Wayne is Batman in this book (I really don't think that it's Bruce though)

And the "razor sharp teeth" are fake, they're used as a scare tactic and to further convey the myth that Batman is a bat-like creature.
batman404

Favourite Graphic Novel: YOne and TDKReturns

Postby Doudyx-X-xDubs » Jan 4th, 2013, 9:02 pm

jaga 321 wrote:batman can live to 100 and have razor sharp teeth...

Look at the Orange-red panel, you can clearly see he puts the teeth in. He's holding them in his hand.

Good stuff Red-Robin, I do read these every time, even though I don't post.

"I once told a man to go screw himself. Can you even imagine?"
Doudyx-X-xDubs

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Black Mirror

Postby Pieter » Jul 25th, 2013, 10:33 pm

Great Review I think this story is really underrated.
I died once. It was boring, so I stood up
Pieter

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Black Mirror

Return to Treasure Chest Comics