Treasure Chest Comics #2: Robin 116-120

Here you'll find the community's thoughts and reviews on their favourite comics of all time. Feel feel to have YOUR say when ever you wish!

Re: Treasure Chest Comics #2: Robin 116-120

Postby CROD » Dec 8th, 2011, 10:04 am

Mine was trying to get you to read the rest of the series and I'm sure RR looked at it the same way. This is only one arc of many so "how isn't this useful?" would be a better question.
CROD
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Postby TFDutchman » Dec 8th, 2011, 11:12 am

KHRIS wrote:Mine was trying to get you to read the rest of the series and I'm sure RR looked at it the same way. This is only one arc of many so "how isn't this useful?" would be a better question.

So far I've really enjoyed both yours and RR's articles but I can understand where he's coming from. You both make your selections sound really good, but honestly as good as they might sound, I don't have an overwhelming urge to go out, buy them and find out more because I already know how it ends and since I didn't read it for myself I don't have that urge or yearning to read more in the series.

I think that in the future we can go into detail the way we have but I think it should be a rule that we cannot spoil any twists or the ending of the story arcs we talk about. Cause say for example that RR wrote this article about Present Tense, Broken Futures, I would've been a lot more interested in actually reading it myself if RR hadn't already explained that Future Alfred was a fake and that the whole thing is a test set up by Bruce. Knowing how it ends I'm on the fence saying to myself, "Yea, sounds good, but I already know how the story ends so I'm not really gonna be too bothered to get it." I know that nothing compares to reading it myself, but its always so much more exciting when you don't know how a story is going to end.

But see, thats how I feel personally. You guys might see it differently so that when you read my write ups about Deadly/Lethal Foes of Spider-Man or House of M, I could spoil every detail imaginable about both stories (which I don't) and you'd still be interested in reading it yourselves.

"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder."
TFDutchman

Favourite Villain: Two-Face
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Postby Red_Robin » Dec 8th, 2011, 12:25 pm

^ To be honest, I was on the fence about spoiling it, but I figured that since it hasn't been collected, most people won't be able to read it anyway. A cursory search on eBay and I've managed to find one or two copies of 116-118, but not 119 or 120. I thought it better that people get a sense of how cool the story was rather than tease them the story that they'll probably never read the climax to. Does that make sense?
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: No Man's Land

Postby johnsyggel » Dec 8th, 2011, 2:55 pm

My point (if there is any... :oldyella: )is this:There is a spoiler warning,so i won't read the posts.So,how am i going to know if the story arc is interesting?If i read the review,i'll read the spoilrs as well and i'm not going to buy the issues.Anyway,enough of my mumbling!!! :oldyella:
When the mugger or the thief stops to think twice,that is fear.That is what I am.Tonight will not be my end,but it will be theirs!
johnsyggel

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The killing joke

Postby TFDutchman » Dec 8th, 2011, 3:39 pm

Red_Robin wrote:^ To be honest, I was on the fence about spoiling it, but I figured that since it hasn't been collected, most people won't be able to read it anyway. A cursory search on eBay and I've managed to find one or two copies of 116-118, but not 119 or 120. I thought it better that people get a sense of how cool the story was rather than tease them the story that they'll probably never read the climax to. Does that make sense?

Yea that makes perfect sense and I see why thats a good idea. But as I said above, other than the normal spoiler warning I think we should make it clear if we give away details regarding the ending. It is a difficult and fine line to walk really. Cause on one hand people might not want to know the ending, but on the other with story arcs that aren't collected anywhere, its likely that some people won't be able to find and read it for themselves. So I suppose it will have to be discretion of the writer, but if its something like House of M, or Hush, or anything that has been collected and is still available to buy that people avoid spoiling endings.

johnsyggel wrote:My point (if there is any... :oldyella: )is this:There is a spoiler warning,so i won't read the posts.So,how am i going to know if the story arc is interesting?If i read the review,i'll read the spoilrs as well and i'm not going to buy the issues.Anyway,enough of my mumbling!!! :oldyella:

Spoiler warnings are gonna be commonplace here, as I said its just gonna be the discretion of the writer of how much of the story they explain. You'll see that my Deadly Foes of Spider-Man is pretty well spoiler free, while House of M will contain a lot more detail, but nothing I would consider to be a major spoiler.

TFDutchman

Postby GoodOldBats » Dec 8th, 2011, 4:48 pm

I bloody <3 Robin :robin:
GOOD OLD BATS
GoodOldBats

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush Returns

Postby LiAm_SOLLO- » Dec 9th, 2011, 1:39 pm

Robin is accually way better than what I used to think he was.
Thankyou Maultest!
LiAm_SOLLO-

Favourite Villain: Deathstroke, KM
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman: Hush

Postby TFDutchman » Dec 10th, 2011, 2:59 am

I definitely find Tim and Damian a lot easier to tolerate than Dick or Jason.

TFDutchman

Postby Red_Robin » Oct 3rd, 2012, 7:26 am

I've updated the article to include links to the issues and to add some extra spoiler warnings now that the issues are available digitally.
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: No Man's Land

Previous

Return to Treasure Chest Comics