Treasure Chest Comics #1: Batman Reborn

Here you'll find the community's thoughts and reviews on their favourite comics of all time. Feel feel to have YOUR say when ever you wish!

Treasure Chest Comics #1: Batman Reborn

Postby CROD » Nov 21st, 2011, 9:52 am

Batman Reborn: Batman and Robin #1-3 Volume 1

When I was a kid it was Batman: The Animated Series that made Batman my favorite character and got me into super heroes. Since then I've seen a lot of cartoons, movies and video games with super heroes in them but I never really collected comic books until Grant Morrison took over Batman and it's this story arc from Batman and Robin that pushed me to start collecting.

WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD

The story takes place after "Batman & Son", "Batman R.I.P." and "Battle for the Cowl". Dick Grayson who is the very first Robin and later Nightwing, has taken over the mantle of Batman after Bruce Wayne apparently dies.

Grayson decides to bring on Bruce's son Damian Wayne as Robin much to the displeasure of Tim Drake who was surprised with a punch to the face and bloodied by Damian in their first meeting. Eleven year old Damian Wayne is the son of Bruce Wayne and Talia al Ghul. Born from an artificial womb and raised by the League of Assassins, Damian is an excellent fighter but is also an angry spoiled brat. Dick Grayson and Damian Wayne form the new dynamic duo who are very much like the old one but in reverse. The same wisecracking Grayson as Batman and a brooding Damian Wayne as Robin make the perfect comic series.

Issue #1

Batman(Dick Grayson) and Robin(Damian Wayne) are chasing down a new villain named Toad in a new floating Batmobile which Damian got to work, something his father could never do. Toad who is bringing a suitcase filled with dominoes to someone named Pyg, is finally captured and sent to jail. Dick notices Toad is speaking European circus slang.

Grayson is having a hard time with taking over Batman for Bruce though he knew he would have to eventually but didn't want to think about. He talks about the pressure of wearing the cowl with Alfred which prompts Damian to offer taking the mantle of Batman off Dick's hands, something he says he was bred to do and would be able to do on his own.

The issue ends with Toad's friends showing up at the jail to break him out and Professor Pyg making his first appearance. Professor Pyg captures a girl named Sasha and her father who is on the run from Batman. Professor Pyg says the man betrayed him though the man has no idea what hes talking. Pyg goes on to put a doll mask on the man before telling him that he will no longer be a man, him and his daughter will be dolls. Then says he will make them and everything perfect.

Issue #2

The second issue starts off with Dick and Damian meeting Gordon for the first time as Batman and Robin. Gordon hasn't seen Batman for a while and heard rumors of Batman dying but Dick dismisses the rumors and says they were just upgrading operations. Dick lets Gordon know Toad is a part of an extreme circus troupe called Le Cirque D'Etrange before leaving to stop Toad from being rescued.

Batman and Robin arrive at the police station to find members of Le Cirque D'Etrange breaking Toad out. Grayson is forced to fight two members because Robin goes off to find Toad on his own. Dick calls out to Damian for help but he is too busy battling the fat lady named Big Top. Dick finally apprehends the two circus members as Commissioner Gordon walks in. Batman and the commissioner then find Robin beating Big Top who is wearing a bucket, with a stick.

Damian finally breaks the stick over the Big Top's head giving her a concussion but is stopped by Dick before doing anymore damage. One of the cops find Toad's dead body holding a domino in his hand. When Batman and Robin get to the Batcave they start to argue about what it takes to be Batman and Robin. Dick tells Robin to not think with his fists but Damian speeds off in his bike and heads to a near by circus.

With the Damian fight and this new villain Grayson is feeling the pressure of taking over as Batman. Alfred tells him to treat it like a performance and finally convinces Dick to go look for Damian but it's too late, Professor Pyg and his Dollotrons quickly capture Dammian as soon as he arrives at the circus.

Issue #3

The third issue starts off with Batman dragging one of the circus members through the streets on his bike. Dick finally gets him to talk and tells the comissioner to trust him.

Damian is tied up and forced to hear Professor Pyg's ramblings about what is perceived as beautiful and ugly. Just before the Dollotrons are able to put a Dollotron mask on him Damian breaks free and takes them out. Batman finally shows up at the circus and sees that the Dollotrons are trying to spread germs to people by sneezing on them.

Damian cuts loose the little girl Sasha who already has a Dollotron mask on and begins to fight Professor Pyg and the Dollotrons. Sasha sees her dad with Pyg so she grabs a candle and and shoves it into Professor Pyg's chest. Pyg runs off and Damian is forced to seperate from Sasha who gets caught by the Dollotrons.

Just as Damian is about to be hit Dick shows up. Batman and Robin start to take out Professor Pyg and his Dollotrons. They punch Pyg in the face breaking his mask.

Batman knows it was Big Top's choice of weapons that lead Damian there. DIck hands Damian his Robin logo which was thrown off during the argument. The antidote to the aerosol narcotic flu the Dollotrons were using is found in a circus tent with a label that reads "Antidote". Damian is worried about the little girl as the circus continues to burn but Dick reassures him no one was found so she must have got out.

Batman and the Commissioner start to dicuss Lazlo Valentin aka Professor Pyg. Lazlo became Pyg and and was financing his experiments by selling narcotics to small time Russian gangsters. He had invented an identity destroying drug in the form of a virus and the gangs were using it to control women. Until Pyg realized the potential and tried to infect the city and hold it to ransom. Batman thinks the antidote was meant to be found and it has to do with Toad's murder and all the dominoes.

Doctors try cutting the Dollotron mask off one of the victims but it won't come off. Pyg can be seen smiling out of his cell. Batman and Robin are together again and are off on their next mission to stop a criminal that took down Bruce and tried to lobotomize Grayson so it's personal. At the end Sasha is seen killing her father in the hospital to take him out of his misery. Two cops try to stop her but Red Hood intervenes and offers a spot to fight by his side.

Grant Morrison's Batman and Robin run had everything you would want from a Batman series and this was a great beginning. Dick struggling with becoming Batman and Damian doing what he can to live up to his father. The heart to heart talk Dick has with Alfred is one of the best scenes I've ever seen in a Bat-book. It was so perfect to watch Alfred comfort Grayson and give him advice like he would Bruce in the past. He can feel the immense preassure of becoming Batman and having to essentially father Bruce's son.

You also see Dick and Damian's relationship start to grow into something Bruce and Damian still don't have. There's more to Damian than just the arrogant brat everyone has seen up until this issue and we finally see that side of him though it is brief.

Along with a great new beginning for the new dynamic duo we saw the birth of another great Batman villain. Professor Pyg is not a pedophile or some type of horror movie monster, he's an evil mastermind who happens to be a crazy wierdo. I've seen so many people who obviously havent read this get Pyg all wrong. Grant Morrison was able to make a new villain that was fresh and could stand with the other great villains. His ramblings alone make these issues worth reading. :pyg: oink
CROD
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Re: Treasure Chest Comics #1: Batman Reborn

Postby Red_Robin » Nov 27th, 2011, 7:13 pm

A great read from Khris!
Do you agree with his views? Have you been persuaded to read this story? Share your thoughts here!
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: No Man's Land

Postby Croc » Nov 27th, 2011, 7:25 pm

Just read it now, and it's a great review.
Croc

Favourite Villain: Ventriloquist
Favourite Graphic Novel: Broken City

Postby Catwoman » Nov 27th, 2011, 7:46 pm

i'll have to check this out sometime. i've always been interested in reading when grayson was batman part but i never got around to it. Now i really want to

Professor pyg is one of the main reasons
Catwoman

Favourite Villain: Two-face, Deadshot
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Postby FastN1CK » Nov 27th, 2011, 7:53 pm

Awesome review, thanks Khris!
FastN1CK

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: AA: Srs House

Postby Enigma » Nov 27th, 2011, 8:09 pm

Great review, KHRIS! I'll probably give these a read sooner rather than later. :)
Enigma

Favourite Graphic Novel: Knightfall vol. 1

Postby cutchin43 » Nov 27th, 2011, 8:13 pm

I agree with you for the most part, Khris. The relationships between Batman, Robin, and Alfred were definitely perfected. I enjoyed the new villains that were created but I don't think of Pyg as an evil mastermind. I never really thought of Pyg as an evil mastermind, but now that I think about it, it makes sense. Creating an army of hypnotized robots is no small feat. I also thought it was interesting how they turned Sasha into a villain in later issues, sort of reflecting Robin's failure to save her.
cutchin43

Favourite Villain: Two-Face
Favourite Graphic Novel: Knightfall

Postby CROD » Nov 27th, 2011, 8:22 pm

Thanks guys glad you liked it. Grant Morrison's whole B&R run is amazing. It's B&R #1-16 :adam:

Ya hes a little like The Mad Hatter from Arkham City. The characters are so caught up in their own world that you think of them as just some psycho but they are both able to control peoples minds which isnt something everyone can do in both universes.

I agree with your take on Sasha. Damian does bring her up again soon after this if I remember right.
CROD
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Paradox » Nov 27th, 2011, 8:35 pm

Looks like a very good arc. I'll have to give it a read.

あなたをファック
Paradox

Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman: Reborn

Postby TheJester » Nov 27th, 2011, 10:47 pm

Awesome review Khris! Never got round to reading these comics, but might give it a go.

Grant Morrison created a perfect addition to the Batman Rogues. Pyg is a complex but well done villain who I think will be sticking around for the next few decades for sure.
~ I'm not mad, I'm just differently sane. ~
Check out my latest fanfic, Clipped Wings, here!
TheJester

Favourite Villain: The Riddler

Postby themaddoc » Nov 28th, 2011, 12:00 am

TheJester wrote: Pyg is a complex but well done villain who I think will be sticking around for the next few decades for sure.

let's cross our fingures and pray to our Gods.

But yep I agree with everything khris wrote here. No problems (well I'd love to see that page where Pyg is about to smack Damion before Dick saves him, that panal is awesome) so a great job and promosing start to this new feature

The innocence of a child can be the most evil thing in the world, she proves that.
themaddoc

Postby TFDutchman » Nov 28th, 2011, 2:40 am

Great review. I was never particularly interested in reading much of Morrison's work because for me Bruce Wayne is Batman, and seeing Dick take on the mantle (particularly since I never liked him as Robin). But I might have to check this out. See if this can get me interested in Dick as Batman and maybe even some of Morrison's work.

"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder."
TFDutchman

Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Postby LiAm_SOLLO- » Nov 28th, 2011, 3:08 am

This new treasure chest comics section is really cool.
Thankyou Maultest!
LiAm_SOLLO-

Favourite Villain: Deathstroke, KM
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman: Hush

Postby CROD » Nov 28th, 2011, 3:10 am

themaddoc wrote:But yep I agree with everything khris wrote here. No problems (well I'd love to see that page where Pyg is about to smack Damion before Dick saves him, that panal is awesome) so a great job and promosing start to this new feature

I had that panel added to the review at first but it was long already. I actually wish I could have added every panel with Pyg in it. :pyg: oink

Here are some images I had to leave out but I wanted in.

CROD
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Hugo » Nov 28th, 2011, 7:33 am

Great rundown, great arc.

"That's what it's like to grow upside down in a world where a hug is a crucifixion", some of Morrison's best writing.
A MAN CHOOSES, A SLAVE OBEYS
Hugo

Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Knight Returns

Next

Return to Treasure Chest Comics