Treasure Chest Comics #1: Batman Reborn

Here you'll find the community's thoughts and reviews on their favourite comics of all time. Feel feel to have YOUR say when ever you wish!

Re: Treasure Chest Comics #1: Batman Reborn

Postby BobGun » Nov 28th, 2011, 5:00 pm

That was a great read, Khris. I'm not a huge fan of Morrison's bat-work, but this arc is probably my favourite from him. The feeling of the 60's show on acid works very well.
BobGun

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: Devil's Advocate

Postby Jokerforpresident » Nov 28th, 2011, 11:08 pm

Great review Khris, might have to pick these up after reading this.
Education and armour. Self defence, the tribe. Our language, our leader. They all help us survive.
Jokerforpresident

Postby MaxSchreck » Nov 29th, 2011, 1:55 pm

Cool review . I really loved this comic .After this I got the first issues of streets of gotham. Ever since Damian has become my favourite Robin .

"You may have invented being Robin , but I perfected it ." - Damian Wayne
MaxSchreck

Postby cutchin43 » Nov 29th, 2011, 3:27 pm

MaxSchreck wrote:Cool review . I really loved this comic .After this I got the first issues of streets of gotham. Ever since Damian has become my favourite Robin .

Same here about Robin. To be honest, before Batman and Robin I was completely prejudiced towards all forms of Robin and thought all four of them were stupid. Damian definitely changed that.
cutchin43

Favourite Villain: Two-Face
Favourite Graphic Novel: Knightfall

Postby Crazybat » Nov 29th, 2011, 6:07 pm

great review. out of interest, when can I do my ASHOSE review, and how did you embed those images?
Crazybat

Favourite Villain: Bane
Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Victory

Postby Red_Robin » Nov 29th, 2011, 6:24 pm

Crazybat wrote:great review. out of interest, when can I do my ASHOSE review,

You can submit it whenever you're ready and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. It may be a while before it's published though, so don't feel like it has to be in next week.

Crazybat wrote:and how did you embed those images?

You need to upload them to an image hosting site and use the BB codes that are above the post a reply box.
[img]<--%20image%20address%20here%20-->[/img]
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: No Man's Land

Postby Crazybat » Nov 29th, 2011, 6:46 pm

thanks for the help!
Crazybat

Favourite Villain: Bane
Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Victory

Postby MaxSchreck » Nov 29th, 2011, 8:00 pm

cutchin43 wrote:
MaxSchreck wrote:Cool review . I really loved this comic .After this I got the first issues of streets of gotham. Ever since Damian has become my favourite Robin .

Same here about Robin. To be honest, before Batman and Robin I was completely prejudiced towards all forms of Robin and thought all four of them were stupid. Damian definitely changed that.

He definately changed the role of robin and stole the spotlight from Dick many times . What really annoys me is all the hate he gets ... he is a brat , he is arrogant , he punched Tim , he killed a minor villain ... still he is a really great character and he could be a lot better and popular if people stop seeing him as the scrappy . He even got this treatment from writers to the point where they believe he needs to be depowered and put in his place ... yeah , that will definately make the comic better :roll:
And people should stop comparing him to Jason . The only thing they have in common are the fact that they disobey and that they killed at some point . Despite they are the exact opposite of each other .

Well , does anybody feel the same ?

MaxSchreck

Postby Red_Robin » Nov 29th, 2011, 9:48 pm

MaxSchreck wrote:
cutchin43 wrote:

He definately changed the role of robin and stole the spotlight from Dick many times . What really annoys me is all the hate he gets ... he is a brat , he is arrogant , he punched Tim , he killed a minor villain ... still he is a really great character and he could be a lot better and popular if people stop seeing him as the scrappy . He even got this treatment from writers to the point where they believe he needs to be depowered and put in his place ... yeah , that will definately make the comic better :roll:
And people should stop comparing him to Jason . The only thing they have in common are the fact that they disobey and that they killed at some point . Despite they are the exact opposite of each other .

No. I see what you mean, but I can't agree with you 100%.
He has been 'depowered' because he's rude, uncooperative and he isn't as good as he thinks he is.
That doesn't mean that he won't be. As long as he can learn from Bruce, Dick etc he will no doubt turn out to be the best crime-fighter of the whole Batclan.
When he is seemingly belittled, made to feel fear or beaten by a foe it is because part of his character arc requires him to be humbled. If someone thinks that they know everything, then they won't be open to learn. He needs to learn humility to grow. I've grown to like him, but I still smile when he's shown up. If he wasn't, then he'd have nowhere to grow, become stagnant and would be boring to read.
When he was introduced I hated him. I was supposed to. Now that I've read the character as Robin for three(ish) years
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Andy » Nov 29th, 2011, 9:50 pm

Hahaha,really?
I thought he was great as soon as I read the character :oldyella:
Andy

Favourite Villain: SOCIETY
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Postby MaxSchreck » Nov 29th, 2011, 10:05 pm

Red_Robin wrote:
MaxSchreck wrote:
cutchin43 wrote:

No. I see what you mean, but I can't agree with you 100%.
He has been 'depowered' because he's rude, uncooperative and he isn't as good as he thinks he is.
That doesn't mean that he won't be. As long as he can learn from Bruce, Dick etc he will no doubt turn out to be the best crime-fighter of the whole Batclan.
When he is seemingly belittled, made to feel fear or beaten by a foe it is because part of his character arc requires him to be humbled. If someone thinks that they know everything, then they won't be open to learn. He needs to learn humility to grow. I've grown to like him, but I still smile when he's shown up. If he wasn't, then he'd have nowhere to grow, become stagnant and would be boring to read.
When he was introduced I hated him. I was supposed to. Now that I've read the character as Robin for three(ish) years

That might be true , but I think sometimes they got a little bit too far with humbling him .One of the best examples is the scene in streets of gotham were he fails to disarm explosions , even tough he was able to that during morrisons run . Also I feel like his fighting skills have been altered , which I don`t understand at all . To me it doesn`t look like he has to learn , but more like fans like seeing him beaten by other members of the Batfamily instead of scenes were he learns to respect red robin and co. by seeing how they manage themselves as heroes . I think his character growth was best shown in Batgirl , at least this comic showed some sympathy for him , instead of the way he was treated in red robin . After that I wouldn`t be surprised or shocked at all if Tim wakes up with a knife at his throat , no offense to fans of that character . Really destroyed my sympathy for Tim , too .

MaxSchreck

Postby Red_Robin » Nov 29th, 2011, 10:45 pm

I think that he was humanised by what happened in Red Robin (and of course Batgirl), essentially he attacked Tim because he was upset. His need to be accepted makes him act like a tool. That's part of who he is just like Dick shows off to get people to like him (very simplified reasoning there). Not always the bet strategies.
Everyone failed in Gates of Gotham, so not being able to defuse the bomb doesn't count against him, it just makes him even with the others.
The last part of my previous post was cut off for some reason, Ive been having ISP issues today.
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MaxSchreck » Nov 29th, 2011, 10:56 pm

Red_Robin wrote:I think that he was humanised by what happened in Red Robin (and of course Batgirl), essentially he attacked Tim because he was upset. His need to be accepted makes him act like a tool. That's part of who he is just like Dick shows off to get people to like him (very simplified reasoning there). Not always the bet strategies.
Everyone failed in Gates of Gotham, so not being able to defuse the bomb doesn't count against him, it just makes him even with the others.
The last part of my previous post was cut off for some reason, Ive been having ISP issues today.

Well , Tims distrust made him attack him . After all his "hit list" was basicly a list of people he prepared to take down if he though it was necessary , but in the end the plan backfired and provocted Damian unessecarily ... basicly every character displays flaws here , but that Tim was able to defeat Damian (and Tim making that joke at the end ,further pushing Damian in the role of the scrappy ) just seems to me like Tim is symathized with here even tough it was his fault that Damian attacked . And I hate that . Destroyed the character for me . Thats not the perfectly likeable Tim from once .

MaxSchreck

Postby Batnipples » Nov 30th, 2011, 12:34 am

Ah great! Could you do more of these? Ive always wanted to get into the main story arc but there is just so much going on, even with all the Batman, Detective Comics, Batman and robin. Are they all connected? is there an order they play through in.

Anyway thanks alot. Always was curious about Pyg, seemed like a cool character, always wanted to know more about him. No, i suppose ill buy it and read up on it.
Your not sending me to the coolAH!
Batnipples

Postby CROD » Nov 30th, 2011, 4:30 am

Batnipples wrote:Ah great! Could you do more of these? Ive always wanted to get into the main story arc but there is just so much going on, even with all the Batman, Detective Comics, Batman and robin. Are they all connected? is there an order they play through in.

Anyway thanks alot. Always was curious about Pyg, seemed like a cool character, always wanted to know more about him. No, i suppose ill buy it and read up on it.

This is from the first volume so its before the DC relaunch.

The next one I wanted to do is "Batman and Robin Must Die" issues #13-15 which finishes the Professor Pyg storyline :pyg: oink. Don't know if I'll get a chance to do anymore though.

After that its the last issue of Batman and Robin #16 Black Mass and it finishes with Batman: The Return one shot.

Batman Inc starts after The Return and goes on for 8 issues. Flashpoint happens and then the relaunch. Their going to be bringing back Batman Inc as Batman: Leviathan but i dont know how the hell that is going to work with the relaunched universe.
CROD
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

PreviousNext

Return to Treasure Chest Comics