Treasure Chest Comics #3: Deadly Foes of Spider-man

Here you'll find the community's thoughts and reviews on their favourite comics of all time. Feel feel to have YOUR say when ever you wish!

Treasure Chest Comics #3: Deadly Foes of Spider-man

Postby Red_Robin » Dec 7th, 2011, 11:30 am

The Deadly Foes of Spider-Man / The Lethal Foes of Spider-Man
by TFDutchman

The Deadly Foes of Spider-Man and The Lethal Foes of Spider-Man, and though the two arcs are written 2yrs apart from one another Lethal Foes is a true sequel to Deadly Foes and the idea behind both stories is the same: Some of Spider-Man’s greatest enemies team up and work together for a common goal, though each often has their own agenda leading to conflict within the team, and pushing Spider-Man to his limits as he struggles to hold off the onslaught of villains.

The Deadly Foes of Spider-Man follows Abner Jenkins, recently paroled from prison, and otherwise known as The Beetle. Beetle’s parole, however isn’t coincidence and now Jenkins finds himself in debt to Wilson Fisk, the Kingpin of Crime. Jenkins decides that alone he stands no chance in achieving his goals, especially with Spider-Man on the lookout for trouble, and so he forms the Sinister Syndicate and we’re introduced to Speed Demon, Boomerang, Hydro Man, Rhino and Leila Davis, Boomerang’s girlfriend and the team’s getaway driver. But as always when Spider-Man gets involved things don’t go as planned and after Boomerang is caught and arrested we start to see the cracks appear in the team as each member’s goals are revealed. Rhino wants the money to remove the Rhino skin so he can return to a normal life, this however is something The Beetle will prevent at all costs to keep Rhino on team. Speed Demon develops a crush on Leila and with Boomerang in jail makes a move on her. Beetle, of course, is in it for the money having made a bad deal with the Kingpin. Even Leila has her own secret agenda. Throughout all the lies, double crosses and secret agendas, The Shocker is brought into the story struggling with sanity after a devastating defeat by Spider-Man and though he makes a triumphant return to glory he becomes yet another pawn in the game. In the end everything comes undone as the team fractures in two, a battle erupts and Spider-Man is caught in the middle of it. It’s not often that Spider-Man takes a smaller role in his own comics to give the spotlight to his enemies, but it pays off. In the end some characters get what they deserve, other characters have decidingly happier endings and a shock twist in the end unfolds rather quickly. The only downside to Deadly Foes is that Rhino achieves his goal of removing the Rhino skin, but only 2-3 pages later he voluntarily puts it back on after a threat from the Kingpin. It’s the one downside to an otherwise great story arc.

Now 2yrs later a true sequel to the Deadly Foes story arc appears The Lethal Foes of Spider-Man. Things have obviously changed, but the stakes are higher than ever. Peter Parker celebrates, while Otto Octavius screams in pain, at the destruction of Doctor Octopus’s mechanical arms. But the destruction of the arms allows for an unembodied character known as The Answer to make contact with Octavius and they forge an agreement to help each other achieve their goals. Meanwhile, Leila Davis is finally set free from prison after the events of Deadly Foes and almost immediately she’s intent on reviving her old plans. She brings together Rhino, Vulture and Boomerang to assist her in stealing a Nuclear Blaster, but just like last time everyone is in it for different reasons. Rhino wants to help his family., Boomerang wants money and revenge on the Beetle and Vulture wants to blaster to help cure his cancer.

Unwillingly though the internal conflicts within the group give birth to another Lethal Foe, Stegron the Dinosaur Man, who becomes intent on using the blaster to turn everyone in the world to dinosaurs like himself. Beetle soon reappears in the fray seeking revenge on his former team mates. It’s not long before Doc Ock escapes prison with help from the Answer and successfully rebuilds his arms while The Answer regains a physical form, but now the two are linked mentally and Doc Ock uses this link to control Answer into using him for his own plans. It’s not long before chaos erupts as everyone engages in an incredible battle for possession of the Nuclear Blaster with appearances from villains Swarm and Strikeback and once again Spider-Man’s greatest enemies are at war with one another and Spider-Man caught in the middle. All this conflict makes for an absolutely action packed story with more double crosses, betrayals and backstabs and once again Spider-Man’s enemies are given the spotlight while the hero plays a backseat role for large parts of the story.

Two incredible story arcs that tie perfectly together and deliver plenty of intrigue and action. Lethal Foes of Spider-Man was one of the first complete Spider-Man story arcs, some of the first comics I ever owned and are still some of my favourites.
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: No Man's Land

Re: Treasure Chest Comics #3: Deadly Foes of Spider-man

Postby Croc » Dec 11th, 2011, 6:41 pm

Great review, I love the old Spider-Man comics, the 70's Amazing Spider-Man comics are the best, I think.
Croc

Favourite Villain: Ventriloquist
Favourite Graphic Novel: Broken City

Postby johnsyggel » Dec 11th, 2011, 10:01 pm

I think i'll try to find these.Thanks,Red Robin!
When the mugger or the thief stops to think twice,that is fear.That is what I am.Tonight will not be my end,but it will be theirs!
johnsyggel

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The killing joke

Postby Croc » Dec 11th, 2011, 10:04 pm

johnsyggel wrote:I think i'll try to find these.Thanks,Red Robin!

You should be thanking TFDutchman too.
Croc

Favourite Villain: Ventriloquist
Favourite Graphic Novel: Broken City

Postby Red_Robin » Dec 11th, 2011, 10:35 pm

Croc wrote:

Exactly. This week's edition was written by TFDutchman. Great job he did too.
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: No Man's Land

Postby johnsyggel » Dec 11th, 2011, 11:27 pm

Croc wrote:

Οk,then.Thanks a bunch,guys.We love you!!!
When the mugger or the thief stops to think twice,that is fear.That is what I am.Tonight will not be my end,but it will be theirs!
johnsyggel

Favourite Graphic Novel: The killing joke

Postby BobGun » Dec 12th, 2011, 12:08 am

Great stuff, TFDutchman.

I've not read too much of Spiderman over the years, but this era definitely interests me the most.
BobGun

Favourite Graphic Novel: Devil's Advocate

Postby TFDutchman » Dec 12th, 2011, 3:54 am

Thanks guys. This was one of the first story arcs I ever collected and its still my favourite. It's just been rereleased as a collected edition so it shouldn't be too hard to find

"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder."
TFDutchman

Favourite Villain: Two-Face
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Postby CROD » Dec 14th, 2011, 3:58 am

Good read TFDutchman. Right now im interested in Carnage so hopefully someone does something about him next.
CROD
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Postby TFDutchman » Dec 14th, 2011, 8:35 am

KHRIS wrote:Good read TFDutchman. Right now im interested in Carnage so hopefully someone does something about him next.

Carnage Family Feud is really good. It's very recent but it's a great read. I could also recommend some of the Carnage story arc from the Ultimate Spider-Man series, but he's a rather different character than what you see in normal continuity

"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder."
TFDutchman

Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Postby cutchin43 » Dec 15th, 2011, 1:18 am

Good read man, Deadly/Lethal Foes sounds like something that would be right up my alley. I love Spidey's rogue gallery.
cutchin43

Favourite Graphic Novel: Knightfall

Return to Treasure Chest Comics