Treasure Chest Comics #4: Batman Year One

Here you'll find the community's thoughts and reviews on their favourite comics of all time. Feel feel to have YOUR say when ever you wish!

Treasure Chest Comics #4: Batman Year One

Postby Red_Robin » Dec 7th, 2011, 3:28 pm

Batman Year One
by Vigilante

Synopsis:
The story recounts the beginning of Bruce Wayne's career as Batman and Jim Gordon's with the Gotham City Police Department. Bruce Wayne returns home to Gotham City from training abroad in martial arts, manhunting, and science for the past 12 years, and James Gordon moves to Gotham with his wife, Barbara, after a transfer from Chicago. Both are swiftly acquainted with the corruption and violence of Gotham City, with Gordon witnessing his partner Detective Flass assaulting a teen for fun.

On a surveillance mission to the seedy East End, a disguised Bruce is propositioned by teenaged prostitute Holly Robinson. He is reluctantly drawn into a brawl with her violent pimp and is attacked by several prostitutes, including dominatrix Selina Kyle. Two police officers shoot and take him in their squad car, but a dazed and bleeding Bruce breaks his handcuffs and causes a crash, dragging the police to a safe distance before fleeing. He reaches Wayne Manor barely alive and sits before his father’s bust, requesting guidance in his war on crime. A bat crashes through a window and settles on the bust, giving him the inspiration to become a bat.

Gordon soon works to rid corruption from the force, but, on orders from Commissioner Gillian Loeb, several officers attack him, including Flass, who personally threatens Gordon’s pregnant wife. In revenge, the recovering Gordon tracks Flass down, beats and humiliates him, leaving him naked and handcuffed in the snow.

As Gordon becomes a minor celebrity for several brave acts, Batman strikes for the first time, attacking a group of thieves. Batman soon works up the ladder, even attacking Flass while he was accepting a drug dealer’s bribe. After Batman interrupts a dinner party attended by many of Gotham’s corrupt politicians and crime bosses to announce his intention to bring them to justice, including Carmine "The Roman" Falcone, Loeb orders Gordon to bring him in by any means necessary.

As Gordon tries in vain to catch him, Batman attacks Falcone, stripping him naked and tying him up in his bed after dumping his car in the river, further infuriating the mob boss. Assistant district attorney Harvey Dent becomes Batman’s first ally, while Detective Sarah Essen and Gordon, after Essen suggested Bruce Wayne as a Batman suspect, witness Batman save an old woman from a runaway truck. Essen holds Batman at gunpoint while Gordon is momentarily dazed, but Batman disarms her and flees to an abandoned building.

Claiming the building has been scheduled for demolition, Loeb orders a bomb dropped on it, forcing Batman into the fortified basement, abandoning his belt as the explosives inside catch fire. A trigger-happy SWAT team led by Branden is sent in, whom Batman attempts to trap in the basement. They soon escape and, after tranquilizing Branden, Batman dodges as the rest open fire, barely managing to survive after two bullet wounds. Enraged as the team’s carelessly fired bullets injure several people outside, Batman beats the team into submission and, after using a device to attract the bats of his cave to him, he flees amid the chaos. Selina Kyle, after witnessing him in action, dons a costume of her own to begin a life of crime.

Gordon has a brief affair with Essen, while Batman intimidates a mob drug dealer for information. The dealer comes to Gordon to testify against Flass, who is brought up on charges. Upset with Gordon's exploits, Loeb blackmails Gordon against pressing charges with proof of his affair. After bringing Barbara with him to interview Bruce Wayne, investigating his connection to Batman, Gordon confesses the affair to her.

Batman sneaks into Falcone’s manor, overhearing a plan against Gordon, but is interrupted when Selina Kyle, hoping to build a reputation after her robberies were pinned on Batman, attacks Falcone and his bodyguards, aided from afar by Batman. Identifying Falcone’s plan as the morning comes, the uncostumed Bruce leaves to help.

While leaving home, Gordon spots a motorcyclist enter his garage. Suspicious, Gordon enters to see Johnny Vitti, Falcone’s nephew, and his thugs holding his family hostage. Gordon decisively shoots the thugs and chases Vitti, who has fled with the baby. Bruce Wayne, on a motorcycle, also rushes out to chase Vitti. Gordon blows out Vitti's car tire on a bridge and the two fight hand-to-hand, with Gordon losing his glasses, before Vitti and James Gordon Junior fall over the side. Bruce leaps over the railing and saves the baby. Gordon realizes that he is standing before an unmasked Batman, but says that he is "practically blind without [his] glasses," and lets Bruce go.

In the final scenes of the comic, Flass turns on Loeb, supplying Dent with evidence and testimony, and Loeb resigns. Gordon is promoted to captain and stands on the rooftop waiting to meet Batman to discuss somebody called The Joker, who is plotting to poison the reservoir.

Year One has always been considered one of the best Batman stories. I think this too, and I want to give my own reasons for this. Year One takes Batman back to a time before he was the worlds greatest detective, before he joined the justice league, when he was a just vigilante in cowl. It puts him in a world where good guys are in the minority, and corruption is rife in Gotham City. Unlike comics I had read before, Batman got hurt. And I don't mean it in the sense that a goon gut a lucky punch in or he got knocked out by a supervillain. Batman gets shot, stabbed, kicked. You can see he's hurt. Blood smears his grey costume where he's been shot. This is a more realistic Batman, who berates himself for making mistakes, and spends most of the story at odds with the law. But he pushes on through. Another thing thats different in this Batman is that he is darker, more of a vigilante than a superhero. he threatens a drug dealer, by saying he will 'share pain with people like you'. When taking on a group of thieves, he kicks one in the ribs, noting that he's probably broken a few. But even with these darker moments, hes still shows that he isn't just another vigilante. While fighting the thieves I mentioned earlier, he saves one from falling, remarking 'I'm no killer'. He then holds on to that boy despite being hit with a television and being kicked in the ribs. He punishes the trigger happy SWAT squad in the stories climax (I'll refrain from saying anymore about this, as I don't want to give away too many spoilers) . This is still the Batman who has a strong moral code, and refuses to break it, despite the morally decadent world around him. He fights it and comes out on top. I'm a sucker for realistic fiction, so this attempt to show what Batman would be like in a modern city is one of the strong points for the book. The only weakness is that Batman dosen't appear enough as I thought he should, due to him sharing the arc with James Gordon. Overall, this does well at showing the Dark Knight in his first year, and gives him his first enemy; The city of Gotham itself.
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: No Man's Land

Re: Treasure Chest Comics #4: Batman Year One

Postby BoyWonder1234 » Dec 18th, 2011, 7:47 pm

I thought my article on Kingdom Come was for week 4?
I sent you a message weeks ago but you never replied.
BoyWonder1234

Favourite Villain: Anti-Suave Man
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman : Suave

Postby BobGun » Dec 18th, 2011, 7:59 pm

Great review, Vigilante!

Hooker Catwoman aside, Year One is a class act. I think the fact that we see Batman's introduction in Gotham through the eyes of Gordon is one of its greatest strengths.

David Mazzucchelli's art is also awesome.
BobGun

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: Devil's Advocate

Postby MaxSchreck » Dec 18th, 2011, 8:15 pm

I`ve never really shared this fascination year one has on Batman fans and sadly your article couldn`t change that . It might be a great origin story , but as a novel it fails because the plot isn`t very exciting or special .It just portrayes the first hard year Batman has establishing himself as Gothams protector and it is rather dry and not very exciting , even tough the writing isn't bad and the art is very good ,too .

I thought my article on Kingdom Come was for week 4?

You`ve waited weeks for a reply ? Wow , I`ve send my article to RedRobin today ... looks like I will have to wait a while...

"You may have invented being Robin , but I perfected it ." - Damian Wayne
MaxSchreck

Postby Vigilante » Dec 18th, 2011, 8:17 pm

BobGun wrote:Great review, Vigilante!

Hooker Catwoman aside, Year One is a class act. I think the fact that we see Batman's introduction in Gotham through the eyes of Gordon is one of its greatest strengths.

David Mazzucchelli's art is also awesome.

Thanks Bobgun. I do think that seeing Batman through the eyes of somebody who will become his friend is interesting, but I was disappointed that Batman didn't appear as much as I wanted him to. But its great to get other opinions on this, and I agree Mazzucchelli's art is awesome! I also love Richmond's colouring, works beautifully with Mazzucchelli's art.

I`ve never really shared this fascination year one has on Batman fans and sadly your article couldn`t change that . It might be a great origin story , but as a novel it fails because the plot isn`t very exciting or special .It just portrayes the first hard year Batman has establishing himself as Gothams protector and it is rather dry and not very exciting , even tough the writing isn't bad and the art is very good ,too

I did say I love realistic fiction, but I know that Batman is a comic book character, and a realistic and gritty Gotham isn't going to appeal to everyone. Thanks for the feedback.
Vigilante

Favourite Villain: Hush
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman: Year One

Postby MaxSchreck » Dec 18th, 2011, 9:18 pm

I`ve never really shared this fascination year one has on Batman fans and sadly your article couldn`t change that . It might be a great origin story , but as a novel it fails because the plot isn`t very exciting or special .It just portrayes the first hard year Batman has establishing himself as Gothams protector and it is rather dry and not very exciting , even tough the writing isn't bad and the art is very good ,too

I did say I love realistic fiction, but I know that Batman is a comic book character, and a realistic and gritty Gotham isn't going to appeal to everyone. Thanks for the feedback.[/quote]

No problem . Yeah , I like Batman more as a super hero without powers . I have a treasure chest comics article prepared which shows him working with the Justice League .Would be cool if you check it out once the article is approved by RedRobin .

MaxSchreck

Postby Vigilante » Dec 18th, 2011, 9:44 pm

MaxSchreck wrote:

I did say I love realistic fiction, but I know that Batman is a comic book character, and a realistic and gritty Gotham isn't going to appeal to everyone. Thanks for the feedback.

No problem . Yeah , I like Batman more as a super hero without powers . I have a treasure chest comics article prepared which shows him working with the Justice League .Would be cool if you check it out once the article is approved by RedRobin .

I will make sure to. Which arc is it, and who wrote it?
Vigilante

Postby johnsyggel » Dec 18th, 2011, 10:08 pm

Congrats,guys,great review for one of the best Batman stories ever!!!Keep up the good work!
When the mugger or the thief stops to think twice,that is fear.That is what I am.Tonight will not be my end,but it will be theirs!
johnsyggel

Favourite Graphic Novel: The killing joke

Postby I AM THE NIGHT » Dec 18th, 2011, 10:19 pm

Great review. I agree with your one problem with the book. I liked seeing Gordon's personal life, but I really wanted to see more Batman.
Ladies. Gentlemen. You have eaten well. You've eaten Gotham's wealth. Its spirit. Your feast is nearly over. From this moment on, none of you are safe.
I AM THE NIGHT

Favourite Villain: Riddler/Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Postby MaxSchreck » Dec 18th, 2011, 10:19 pm

Vigilante wrote:
MaxSchreck wrote:

I will make sure to. Which arc is it, and who wrote it?

Its Justice League : new world order by grant morrison .

MaxSchreck

Postby TFDutchman » Dec 18th, 2011, 10:34 pm

Nice work Vigilante. Really good read. Shameful to say that Year One isn't actually in my collection, though I have read it

boywonder1234 wrote:I thought my article on Kingdom Come was for week 4?

Kinda why I'd like to see a "Coming Soon" list so everyone knows who's coming up when and what stories they're writing about so no one doubles up.

"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder."
TFDutchman

Favourite Villain: Two-Face
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Postby Red_Robin » Dec 18th, 2011, 10:49 pm

Just to clarify, we can have more than one entry on an arc, as long as there is a different take on it. The best thing to do, if you are unsure however, is to PM me to check before you write.

Additionally, I don't have a release schedule that is carved in stone. I pencil them in and decide on a fortnightly basis. This is to spread out the Batman and non-Batman tales as well as making sure that all articles are ready to go out. Sometimes things change to fit new things in.
For example, I moved Batman: Year One up in the queue to have another Batman focus before next Friday when we'll release a special TCC with ACUK2.0.

I hope that this helps.
PM me if you have any further questions.

------

Great work on this, Vigilante.
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: No Man's Land

Postby Vigilante » Dec 18th, 2011, 11:03 pm

Red_Robin wrote:Just to clarify, we can have more than one entry on an arc, as long as there is a different take on it. The best thing to do, if you are unsure however, is to PM me to check before you write.

Additionally, I don't have a release schedule that is carved in stone. I pencil them in and decide on a fortnightly basis. This is to spread out the Batman and non-Batman tales as well as making sure that all articles are ready to go out. Sometimes things change to fit new things in.
For example, I moved Batman: Year One up in the queue to have another Batman focus before next Friday when we'll release a special TCC with ACUK2.0.

I hope that this helps.
PM me if you have any further questions.

------

Great work on this, Vigilante.

Thanks R_R. Any hints as to what the special Treasure Chest Comics will be?
Vigilante

Postby johnsyggel » Dec 19th, 2011, 12:49 am

Its Justice League : new world order by grant morrison .

And it's an amazing story,another one by GM!!!!!!!!!
When the mugger or the thief stops to think twice,that is fear.That is what I am.Tonight will not be my end,but it will be theirs!
johnsyggel

Favourite Graphic Novel: The killing joke

Postby Enigma » Dec 19th, 2011, 5:12 am

Great review, Vigilante. Though I haven't read Year One yet.
Enigma

Favourite Graphic Novel: Knightfall vol. 1

Next

Return to Treasure Chest Comics