Treasure Chest Comics #7: House of M

Here you'll find the community's thoughts and reviews on their favourite comics of all time. Feel feel to have YOUR say when ever you wish!

Treasure Chest Comics #7: House of M

Postby Red_Robin » Dec 8th, 2011, 8:09 am

House of M
by TFDutchman

When I read the blurb on the back of the cover for House of M I thought to myself, sounds cool, and it was on my shopping list for a very, very long time before I finally picked it up. Now I’m wishing I had picked it up sooner. House of M is one of the best story arcs I’ve read in the Marvel Universe featuring a huge cast of characters and when the story comes to its conclusion, it leaves a massive impact on the Marvel Universe and it’s heroes.

WARNING:There may be minor SPOILERS included in the article. But I naturally won’t spoil the ending for you.

House of M’s story begins before you even read the first page, but everything you need to know is explained along the way. The story centres on Scarlet Witch, daughter of Magneto and brother to Quicksilver. Both Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were members of the superhero team The Avengers, but something happened and Scarlet Witch lost control of her reality shifting powers leading to the deaths of many of her old Avenger teammates resulting in the formation of the New Avengers.

Now House of M’s story begins with Scarlet Witch aka Wanda Maximoff, giving birth to twins, but she is suddenly forced to restore reality to normality. Wanda’s children aren’t real and her control of her powers is degrading. Charles Xavier, former headmaster of the Xavier Institute now run by Emma Frost, is attempting to help Wanda regain her sanity, but it appears to be a losing battle. Xavier calls a meeting of our cast of superheroes: Spider-Man, the X-Men, the Avengers, Dr. Strange and others. They discuss the possibility that the only way to protect the Earth from Wanda’s powers is to kill her. Quicksilver, however, has already anticipated what their decision will be and pleads to his father to save her. Upon arriving in Genosha to find Wanda, the superheroes find that not everything is quite right.

Now everything changes. Our heroes are no longer in Genosha, but the world is nothing like it was. Mutants are dominant, humans are becoming an endangered species, the world is at complete peace and everyone is happy with all their dreams and wishes seemingly fulfilled. At the head of it all is the House of Magnus. It’s a reality where Magneto’s dreams of mutant dominance has been fulfilled. But not everyone is convinced this reality is real. Wolverine wakes up in bed with Mystique, seemingly both as members of SHIELD, but Wolverine’s healing factor has given him his memories of what transpired before and memories of what the world used to be. He is the only one who remembers until he meets a young girl named Layla, a girl who not only remembers how the world used to be, but has the ability to unlock those memories in others. Layla is under the protection of Luke Cage, Hawkeye and the human resistance and is one of the first to remember. With Wolverine’s help they are able to track down Emma Frost.

From there Wolverine, Luke and Emma begin finding their old teammates and unlocking their memories. But for some it’s more difficult than others. Hawkeye abandons the team upon learning that he was one of the Avengers killed by Scarlet Witch. Peter Parker, aka Spider-Man, is happily married to Gwen Stacy and is found out shopping with Gwen, their son and Aunt May and Uncle Ben. For him unlocking his memories of Gwen’s and Uncle Ben’s deaths are especially painful.

Once the team is assembled it is decided that the only person capable of stopping Scarlet Witch is Charles Xavier, who can’t be found anywhere. From here the team make their attack against the House of Magnus and bring the story to it’s shock conclusion and the effects it has on the Marvel Universe.

House Of M is captivating right from the very beginning and affects many of the character’s involved in a very emotional way. For me, as a fan of Spider-Man, seeing how the events of House of M affect him are especially emotional. The effects of House of M are felt for a long period afterwards in the various ongoing series and seeing how it all ends makes you wanna find out just how it was possible for the Marvel Universe to recover. It’s definitely a worthy read and I only wish that I had picked it up sooner. Writing this was hard for me to do as I would really love to tell you how it all ends, but I’d much prefer for you all to go out, buy it and see for yourselves.
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: No Man's Land

Re: Treasure Chest Comics #7: House of M

Postby BobGun » Jan 8th, 2012, 5:53 pm

Nice one, TFD!

I have to admit, my knowledge of Marvel Comics is very limited, though this does sound interesting. Could you just drop into it without a wealth of understanding?
BobGun

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: Devil's Advocate

Postby DarkFlux » Jan 8th, 2012, 6:31 pm

Good read TDF!

Id been meaning to get into X-men for ages and just recently jumped on with Schism. I plan to go back and read past stuff at some point. House of M will be on that list. :)
DarkFlux

Favourite Villain: Ras Al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Knight Returns

Postby TheJester » Jan 8th, 2012, 9:11 pm

I freaking love Xmen!

Nice article, and you didnt post the ending! I can now read it without knowing the outcome haha :)
~ I'm not mad, I'm just differently sane. ~
Check out my latest fanfic, Clipped Wings, here!
TheJester

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Postby deadjunk » Jan 8th, 2012, 10:13 pm

I'm going to buy it right away!
I want to eat a pirate

viewtopic.php?f=85&t=25469
deadjunk

Favourite Villain: Two Face/Mr.Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Long Halloween

Postby Paradox » Jan 8th, 2012, 10:35 pm

The last issue of House of M was when I started collecting the X-Men! Hooked ever since.
Thanks for summing it up, considering I never knew what actually happened :oldyella:

あなたをファック
Paradox

Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman: Reborn

Postby TFDutchman » Jan 9th, 2012, 12:56 am

BobGun wrote:Nice one, TFD!

I have to admit, my knowledge of Marvel Comics is very limited, though this does sound interesting. Could you just drop into it without a wealth of understanding?

Very much so. Knowing the characters involved is pretty much the absolute minimum and the rest you can figure out along the way. As I said in the beginning, which is something mentioned in the story, Scarlet Witch loses control of her powers in a previous story arc and ends up killing some of her former Avenger team mates. The only other important thing to notice is that Charles Xavier is no longer leader of the X-Men and the Institute is now being run by Cyclops and Emma Frost (who are both dating).

You don't need a vast wealth of information to be able to jump in and find it enjoyable as hell. You'll learn everything you need to know while reading and the majority of characters involved in the story are characters that you'll probably already have some sort of prior knowledge of.

-- Jan 9th, 2012, 11:00 am --

TheJester wrote:I freaking love Xmen!

Nice article, and you didnt post the ending! I can now read it without knowing the outcome haha :)

I'd love to see what you think of the outcome when you eventually read it :D

deadjunk wrote:I'm going to buy it right away!

It's definitely worth the money. I'm about to get Fear Itself with a ton of other stuff in the mail and I'm really excited to read it. If it's as good as it sounds I may have to write about it for a future TCC.

"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder."
TFDutchman

Favourite Villain: Two-Face
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Postby LiAm_SOLLO- » Jan 9th, 2012, 5:17 am

Hawkeye is my favorite super hero apart from Batman.
Thankyou Maultest!
LiAm_SOLLO-

Favourite Villain: Deathstroke, KM
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman: Hush

Postby BoyWonder1234 » Jan 9th, 2012, 4:59 pm

I loved House Of M, Spider-Man was great!
BoyWonder1234

Favourite Villain: Anti-Suave Man
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman : Suave

Postby deadjunk » Jan 9th, 2012, 10:05 pm

Hawkeye is my favourite hero. Batman is still badass tho :D TFDutchman I have placed my order on amazon!
I want to eat a pirate

viewtopic.php?f=85&t=25469
deadjunk

Favourite Villain: Two Face/Mr.Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Long Halloween

Postby Croc » Jan 9th, 2012, 10:12 pm

Great review, one question, is that Ant-Man on the cover of #8?
Croc

Favourite Villain: Ventriloquist
Favourite Graphic Novel: Broken City

Postby DarkFlux » Jan 9th, 2012, 11:30 pm

Croc wrote:Great review, one question, is that Ant-Man on the cover of #8?

Thats Magneto
DarkFlux

Favourite Villain: Ras Al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Knight Returns

Postby dinodave » Jan 10th, 2012, 1:32 am

are there different cover designs for the comics because my copies look different
dinodave

Favourite Villain: joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: the man who laughs

Postby cutchin43 » Jan 10th, 2012, 4:17 am

Thanks for not telling the ending, Mr. Dutchman!

But I thought Emma Frost was a villain?
cutchin43

Favourite Graphic Novel: Knightfall

Postby TFDutchman » Jan 10th, 2012, 7:46 am

cutchin43 wrote:Thanks for not telling the ending, Mr. Dutchman!

But I thought Emma Frost was a villain?

Emma Frost has been a bad girl but at this point in the X-Men timeline she's one of the good guys. Xavier is no longer leader of the Institute and now Cyclops and Emma are dating and run the school together.

deadjunk wrote:Hawkeye is my favourite hero. Batman is still badass tho :D TFDutchman I have placed my order on amazon!

Hawkeye is great in House of M. Awesome to see that you've ordered it, you'll definitely have to let me know what you think of it

"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder."
TFDutchman

Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Next

Return to Treasure Chest Comics