Treasure Chest Comics #13: The Ultimates

Here you'll find the community's thoughts and reviews on their favourite comics of all time. Feel feel to have YOUR say when ever you wish!

Treasure Chest Comics #13: The Ultimates

Postby Red_Robin » Jan 3rd, 2012, 3:26 pm

The Ultimates
by TFDutchman

The Ultimates is quite honestly the ultimate widescreen, cinematic, blockbuster experience that we all hope the new Avengers movie will turn out to be, and from what I know of the new movie it seems as if the Ultimates may be a big inspiration for some ideas. The Ultimates introduces one of the most powerful teams of Superheroes into Marvel’s Ultimate Universe and rather than naming them The Avengers as they have always been known, they are designated The Ultimates.Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Ant Man / Giant Man, Wasp, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch all under the arrangement of Nick Fury. And as I said it is the ultimate action-packed blockbuster that feels as if it’s been ripped from a cinema screen or at least deserves to be seen on screen.

SPOILERS BE WARNED

The Ultimates begins during World War 2 during a mission to stop German scientists from launching a deadly missile. Captain America charges into the battle and does his best to stop the launch. The missile takes off with Captain America clinging to the side and makes a last ditch effort to destroy the missile which saves the day, but presumably kills our hero. Flash forward to the future where Tony Stark, climbing in the mountains planning the next big step in his life.

We then meet Nick Fury in a restaurant with Bruce Banner as they discuss Banner’s failed attempts at recreating the Super Soldier project that resulted in Banner’s transformation into the Hulk. Fury convinces Banner to rejoin the project, but is demoted to second in command with Hank Pym the lead scientist on the project. We are then given brief introductions to Hank Pym working on the Giant Man formula with help from his wife Janet, also known as the Wasp. Tony Stark is given yet another brief introduction as a member of the Ultimates initiative testing out a newly designed Iron Man suit and showing off as he does so. Tony meets with Fury and they discuss the Ultimates and why Tony is so interested in being involved. At the Triskelion, the base for Shield and the Ultimates, Hank Pym perfects his Giant Man formula and transforms for the first time. Banner is slightly distressed at his failures to contribute anything thus far to the Super Soldier Program when Fury informs him that they have found the body of Captain America.

Cap is revived and unsure of what’s happened to him attempts to escape until he is stopped by Giant Man. Cap is reintroduced into the world and reunited with former friend Bucky Barnes and former sweetheat Gail. This is followed by a fundraising event at the Triskelion announcing the formation of The Ultimates and revealing Captain America’s return to the public.

Cap is still adjusting to life and finding it hard to believe how things have changed as he talks about it with Wasp. He’s especially disheartened by the attitude of young Americans when he discovers his apartment ransacked. Betty Ross is doing publicity rounds for the Ultimates and constantly giving Banner grief. At this time Banner and Fury attempt to convince Thor, a man convinced to be the son of the God Odin, to join the Ultimates but to no avail. Banner’s grief only gets worse and he’s pushed to the edge that he does something incredibly stupid and while Betty Ross is out on a date, Banner induces an episode and transforms into the Hulk. The Hulk rampages through Manhattan, desperate to find Betty, and the Ultimates are dispatched to take him down.

A massive battle ensues in Manhattan, but the Hulk is seemingly unstoppable as he takes down Giant Man with ease. Iron Man intercepts keeping Hulk distracted until Captain America arrives. The Ultimates fight at their best, but nothing is enough to stop the Hulk until Thor arrives. Hulk, Cap and Iron Man do their best to subdue him, but it’s still not enough until the give Wasp a chance to get inside Hulk’s ear canal and deliver a wasp sting to his frontal lobe and neutralises the Hulk. Banner, returned to normal, is taken into custody.

Manhattan attempts to recover from the Hulk’s attack and Shield tries desperately to conceal Banner’s identity as the Hulk. However, Giant Man is greatly humiliated by the event and his beating that he ends up in a violent brawl against Wasp, all this happening while Tony, Cap and Thor have a pleasant dinner together. Wasp shrinks down in an attempt to hide from Giant Man, but he sprays her with bug spray and using the Ant Man helmet he’s built he calls a swarm of ants to attack her putting her in the hospital. Outraged, Captain America goes looking for Giant Man.

We’re now given an introduction to the black ops members of the Ultimates: Black Widow and Hawkeye. They assault two seemingly ordinary office buildings and slaughter everyone they find. They are then introduced to the Ultimates back at the Triskelion and we are also introduced to Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, members of the mutant division of the Ultimates. Fury tells the Ultimates about the Chitauri, an alien race of shapeshifters that have been on Earth since WW2 and have attempted to take over the planet. The office buildings Hawkeye and Widow assaulted were filled with Chitauri sleeper agents and Fury believes they are planning another attack. Elsewhere Cap tracks down Giant Man and a fight ensues with Cap taking down Giant Man without breaking a sweat.

At the Triskelion Bruce and Betty are becoming friendly again and the sparks of a relationship start to form. The rest of the Ultimates team is making final preparations for an assault against what is said to be a Chitauri base in Micronesia. Upon arriving however it is quickly deduced that the entire thing is a trap to get rid of the Ultimates as a massive bomb goes off.

Back at the Triskelion the Chitauri have already begun taking control and Wasp is alone and still recovering from her beating. Wasp is captured by the Chitauri leader and is taken to a base in the Arizona desert where the Chitauri’s plan is revealed. They plan to take control of the entire universe. However their plans aren’t going as smoothly as believed. The cloaking devices on their ships all around the world are deactivated and their presence announced to the entire planet. The Chitauri leader is informed that their enemies are fighting back against them. The Chitauri have no choice now but to simply wipe out all life on the planet.

It’s at this moment that a bolt of lightning strikes and The Ultimates accompanied by Fury’s military strike team arrive having escaped the blast in Micronesia. A battle ensues with Iron Man and Thor engaging the alien ships while Cap and the others handle the ground forces. Cap attacks the Chitauri leader, Kleiser, personally having encountered him before in the 1940s. Kleiser’s strength is formidable and regenerates most damage inflicted upon him. Cap gives the order to release Banner and the Hulk is forced into the fight. Cap guides Hulk like a conscience and Hulk makes quick work of Kleiser. Cap then turns Hulk’s attention to the ships.

Meanwhile Black Widow and Iron Man have discovered the bomb the Chitauri plan to use to destroy all life. There’s no possible way to deactivate it and so Iron Man asks Thor to teleport it to another realm. Widow, who doesn’t believe Thor is the god he claims to be, is fearful, but Thor succesffully teleports the bomb away and all they feel as a result is a minor ripple as a result of the explosion. With the Chitauri defeated all that remains is the Hulk. Hawkeye subdues him with an antidote filled arrow and Banner transforms at the last second having almost crushed Hawkeye as the Hulk. Celebrations ensue with Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch (absent for the entire fight) claiming to have been a huge part of their success (if you check out the satellite images and slow them down).

The story now comes to an end with Bruce Banner back in containment with Banner lamenting his actions as the Hulk, while Betty seems turned on by it. Hank, in exile, attempts to apologise to Wasp over the phone but she ignores him and hangs up in his face. Celebrations continue however at the White House with Black Widow eyeing Tony Stark as her next “ex-husband” and Captain America sharing a romantic dance with the Wasp watched closely by Nick Fury thrilled by the success of his team.

In the end The Ultimates is a non-stop ride that delivers everything you could possibly want out of a story filled with these characters. It sets the benchmark for widescreen blockbuster entertainment and then jumps over it itself. It’s only real rival in the Ultimate Universe is it’s sequel The Ultimates 2. This is one of the best cinematic stories you’ll ever read with amazing artwork that makes the experience even more thrilling. It’s visually gorgeous and the action scenes make you feel every punch and feel the force of every explosion. It’s an undeniably great read and should be on every comic fans shelf.
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: No Man's Land

Re: Treasure Chest Comics #13: The Ultimates

Postby TheNightwing » Feb 26th, 2012, 5:46 pm

Great review, I never really read the Ultimates but I've watched the animated movies which are based on the graphic novel.

I especially love the part when the Ultimates face the Hulk.
"I am vengeance! I am the Night . . . . . . . . . . WING!!!"
TheNightwing

Favourite Villain: Heath Ledger's Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: Too Many to Name...

Postby moneybucks » Feb 26th, 2012, 5:54 pm

Hulk!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway this isn't how I want the avengers to be like but it still sounds pretty cool. I want the hulk to be part of the team, not a bad guy.
"There is nothing to fear....but fear itself."
moneybucks

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: The killing joke

Postby deadjunk » Feb 26th, 2012, 6:01 pm

I've never read the GN but have seen the animated film. I like the representations of the characters in the Ultimate universe.
I want to eat a pirate

viewtopic.php?f=85&t=25469
deadjunk

Favourite Villain: Two Face/Mr.Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Long Halloween

Postby Zagoner » Feb 26th, 2012, 7:17 pm

"I have an army"
"We have an Hulk".
Zagoner

Favourite Villain: Deathstroke/Joker

Postby TheAardvark6 » Feb 26th, 2012, 7:58 pm

Are non-moderators allowed to review comics, cos I've got a few I want to share my opinion on. please answer. P.S: I may not be able to get as good pictures if I ever do reviews.
Batman is riding an elephant. This makes your argument invalid.
TheAardvark6

Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Postby Luke » Feb 26th, 2012, 8:13 pm

TheAardvark6 wrote:Are non-moderators allowed to review comics, cos I've got a few I want to share my opinion on. please answer. P.S: I may not be able to get as good pictures if I ever do reviews.

Any member can write a Treasure Chest Comics entry. :alfred:
I created ArkhamCity.co.uk on the 7th of August 2010 at 11:46 am. I left the site in amazing hands on the 29th of August 2012 at 8:07 pm. Thanks to everyone that I met in-between.
- Luke
Luke
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Postby Red_Robin » Feb 26th, 2012, 8:31 pm

Luke wrote:
TheAardvark6 wrote:Are non-moderators allowed to review comics, cos I've got a few I want to share my opinion on. please answer. P.S: I may not be able to get as good pictures if I ever do reviews.

Any member can write a Treasure Chest Comics entry. :alfred:

The only reason that I post the first post of each on is that I am serving as editor of the feature. If you look at the archive, you'll see a range of articles written by a range of members.
PM me to chat about what you have planned or just PM me when you've written it - I look forward to reading it!
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Graphic Novel: No Man's Land

Postby DarkFlux » Feb 26th, 2012, 9:04 pm

Nice feature TDF!

I loved the Ultimates (1 and 2 anyway) despite not being much of a Millar fan. Its definetly got that cinematic feel to it and i loved the Ultimate universe interpretations of the characters.

Also; "you think this letter on my forehead stands for France?". Best line ever ;)
DarkFlux

Favourite Villain: Ras Al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Knight Returns

Postby CROD » Feb 26th, 2012, 9:23 pm

Ah great write up. I've been wanting to read this for a long while but never get the chance to. Someday...

Can't wait for the Avengers movie. I wonder if they will use the Chitauri.
CROD
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Postby TFDutchman » Feb 26th, 2012, 11:18 pm

deadjunk wrote:I've never read the GN but have seen the animated film. I like the representations of the characters in the Ultimate universe.

The animated film is alright, but it deviates greatly from the book. When you read it you'll see how much has been taken out or changed to make it a lot more kid-friendly.

"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder."
TFDutchman

Favourite Villain: Two-Face

Postby Andy » Feb 26th, 2012, 11:21 pm

TFDutchman wrote:
deadjunk wrote:I've never read the GN but have seen the animated film. I like the representations of the characters in the Ultimate universe.

The animated film is alright, but it deviates greatly from the book. When you read it you'll see how much has been taken out or changed to make it a lot more kid-friendly.

I actually got the Ultimates last week with this bi-weekly Marvel Graphic Novel collection that we get here,and I do agree with that its VERY different from the movie
Andy

Favourite Villain: SOCIETY

Postby TFDutchman » Feb 27th, 2012, 7:13 am

Andy3395 wrote:
TFDutchman wrote:

I actually got the Ultimates last week with this bi-weekly Marvel Graphic Novel collection that we get here,and I do agree with that its VERY different from the movie

Well the movie is only a little over an hour in runtime, and as I said a lot more kid friendly by taking out all the adult content. Taking out Widow and Hawkeye. Taking out Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. Then the second movie isn't even based off The Ultimates 2. I'd love to see a perfect animated adaptation of this because I think it would be fantastic to watch. I may in the future do a write up for Ultimates 2 cause like I said Ultimates 2 is the only real rival to the quality of The Ultimates.

"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder."
TFDutchman

Favourite Villain: Two-Face

Postby batman404 » Feb 27th, 2012, 7:25 am

Excellent analysis TFDutchman! I love the first 2 Ultimates books. Definitely 2 of my favourites... So many memorable moments (epic, funny, dramatic, etc).

The book is so much better than the animated film! The movie was somewhat enjoyable but it could've been a lot better.

TFDutchman wrote:Well the movie is only a little over an hour in runtime, and as I said a lot more kid friendly by taking out all the adult content. Taking out Widow and Hawkeye. Taking out Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. Then the second movie isn't even based off The Ultimates 2. I'd love to see a perfect animated adaptation of this because I think it would be fantastic to watch.

This! :D
batman404

Favourite Graphic Novel: YOne and TDKReturns

Postby BobGun » Feb 27th, 2012, 4:12 pm

Excellent stuff, TFD!

It will be interesting to see how much influence it has over the movie.
BobGun

Favourite Graphic Novel: Devil's Advocate

Next

Return to Treasure Chest Comics