Treasure Chest Comics #10: Star Wars: KotOR

Here you'll find the community's thoughts and reviews on their favourite comics of all time. Feel feel to have YOUR say when ever you wish!

Treasure Chest Comics #10: Star Wars: KotOR

Postby Red_Robin » Jan 5th, 2012, 12:43 am

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic #1-6 Commencement and #31-35 Vindication
by Red_Robin

Following the huge success of the 2003 game and it's 2005 sequel, Dark Horse Comics began an ongoing Knights of the Old Republic series in 2006. Faced with the problem of the player's choice of appearance, it was quickly apparent that the characters from the games could be cameos at best. Instead it was decided that the series would take place a few years before the first game, before the man who would become Darth Revan defied the Jedi Council to lead other Jedi and the entire Republic army against the Mandalorian threat. There are cameos throughout the series from some of the characters from the games, such as pre-Darths Revan and Malak, Carth Onasi and Mission Vao.

This article contains mild spoilers - huge sections and details of story have been purposefully omitted for your enjoyment.

The series opens with Jedi Padawan and general clutz, Zayne Carrick, on yet another attempt to arrest conman Marn Heirogryph. Zayne is not a typical Jedi Padawan. At roughly eighteen years old, he should be ready to take the trials and be promoted to Jedi Knight. However, Zayne has a 'special' relationship with the force, that is not immediately apparent. In truth, he is a poor student and likely to fail his upcoming trials.
After two attempts at capturing Gryph, Zayne arrives at the temple late; Gryph chained to the back of his speeder. Zayne bursts into see his fellow students dead at their masters' feet. At their centre, is the blue blade of Lucien Draay's lightsaber; his own master.

They move to kill him too; he dives down the trash chute and they give chase through the skyways of Taris.
After Zayne and Gryph escape in the Lowercity, the Jedi masters put out militia and news alerts stating that Zayne murdered his fellow students and that Gryph aided his escape. They are both wanted criminals.
The two of them are forced to stick together to avoid both the law and the Jedi Masters. Zayne tries to work out what had gone wrong with his former instructors. He recalls that the last time that all the five masters and their Padawans were together was a training exercise in which all the students had been blindfolded and seperate from their masters for several hours. He decided that this was a good place to being investigating their motives.

Needing a ship, Gryph takes Zayne to meet Camper in his junk yard in the Undercity. There they tangle with his protector, a fierce Arkanian woman named Jarael. She is furious with Zayne. The 'murder' of the Jedi Padawans lead to a feeling that the planet isn't safe, causing relief and charity from corporations being withdrawn from the impoverished Undercity (later in the series we learn that the Jedi are also withdrawn from Taris and we see just how bad things get). Zayne barely has time to feel sorry for the people who have lost out or feel guilty for his part in the charity-withdrawal. The Jedi Masters track them down and camper turns on the engine, the trash shaking off the ship as it lifted off the ground and the junk-hauler is able to speed away.

The ship heads to an asteroid field in which the Padawans had their last training session with their Masters. Zayne and Jarael explore the training ground and find the wreckage of a loading droid who the Jedi Masters had destroyed after it had incidentally recorded what they were doing during their students' training exercise (blindly crossing the asteroid surface whilst not being crushed by the hundreds of minor asteroid collisions).
Upon viewing the holorecording of Jedi Masters thrashing around at thin air and destroying Elbee, Zayne explains to the makeshift crew that they were having a shared vision. Zayne realises that there was a strange mix of Jedi that made up their teachers; only one Guardian and four Consulars. Consulars are fairly rare, especially gathered together, as they are often more concerned with discovering the deeper mysteries of the force than conspiring together.
After an unsuccesful attempt to contact the Jedi Council on Dantooine and bbeing attacked by Republic sector patrols (along with the Jedi Covenent leader and Zayne's former Master, Lucien), Zayne determines that all he can do is turn himself in.

With Zayne in their custody, Lucien reveals that they are attempting to prevent the rise of a Dark Lord. The Consulars' shared vision foretold their destruction and they all saw a figure in a red environment suit. Their Padawans were all wearing the same type of suit at the same time that the Consulars had their vision, so they presumed that the vision was pointing to one of their students as the future Dark Lord.
Needless to say the Masters fail to kill Zayne and he escapes, vowing to check their moves on their journey down a dark path.

Three years (a few months story time) and several adventures later, Zayne takes the fight to the Covenent. They have been forced apart by the Jedi Council and scattered through the galaxy. Lucien has settled back upon Coruscant, residing in his mother's estate. Having already killed two of the Masters and turned another, Zayne disguises himself as a dark Jedi and turns his attention to his former master, Lucien Draay and the ones who formed and trained the Covenent, Lucien's mother, Krynda Draay, and her assistant, Haazen.

The final confrontation comes with several twists and turns with allegences changing mid-battle and an army at the gates. We learn exactly whom has been pulling who's strings and just how misguided the Jedi Covenant were as the age-old Master/Apprentice battle heats up. There are deaths, there are revelations and there are epiphanies.

The conclusion of the arc doesn't quite fit our expectations, but instead launches the series into a new direction. Whilst the series was never quite as good after the very satisfying end to the initial 'season', it was a solid 50 issues. Zayne's sub-par grasp of the force meant that he had to rely on other skills and methods, as well as those of his allies, to survive. The whole series takes place within the space of a year, the Mandalorian threat is marching toward Republic space and Revan is gathering followers. Amidst all the looming threat, shady characters and grand battles, Knight of the Old Republic stands out for it's ability to keep things light. It is by no means a funny book, but I constantly found that I'd pick up KotOR before the technically better Legacy because of it's ability to add a dab of humour to proceedings as opposed to the almost suffocating drama that came with Legacy. As with the original games, one of the highlights of the series is the interaction with Zayne's 'companion' characters. Not all of them are willing to work toward Zayne's goal and they all have a secret of some sort.

All-in-all, if you like Star Wars, but have never read a Star Wars comic before, Knights of the Old Republic is a great place to start. It's self-contained enough that you don't need to know anything outside of the confines of the story, but it also adds some extra depth to the background of the games, if you were a fan of those.
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: No Man's Land

Re: Treasure Chest Comics #10: Star Wars: KotOR

Postby SCARECROW12345 » Feb 5th, 2012, 4:22 pm

Thanks Red Robin.
SCARECROW12345

Favourite Villain: Killer Moth
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman VS Predator

Postby LiAm_SOLLO- » Feb 5th, 2012, 4:46 pm

Good work Red Robin. I'll be getting these. :hugo:
Thankyou Maultest!
LiAm_SOLLO-

Favourite Villain: Deathstroke, KM
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman: Hush

Postby johnsyggel » Feb 5th, 2012, 10:01 pm

I hate how this story is about Zayne.I wanted to read Revan's story,this is what Kotor(the game) is about.
When the mugger or the thief stops to think twice,that is fear.That is what I am.Tonight will not be my end,but it will be theirs!
johnsyggel

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The killing joke

Postby JOHNJACKSONMILLER » Feb 6th, 2012, 5:13 am

Thanks for the kind words on the series! For those interested in reading more, I have production notes pages on every issue up at my site, http://www.farawaypress.com.

And JohnSyggel, while the series was never intended to be about the video game, but the timeframe (Dark Horse's first "Knights of the Old Republic" series predated the game's release by several years) -- this series does include Revan's origin story and big moments for several other game characters.

Knights of the Old Republic - War #1 is now on sale, continuing Zayne's story in what's intended to be a new entry point to this part of the timeline. #2 hits shelves Wednesday!
JOHNJACKSONMILLER

Postby Red_Robin » Feb 6th, 2012, 7:57 am

JOHNJACKSONMILLER wrote:Thanks for the kind words on the series! For those interested in reading more, I have production notes pages on every issue up at my site, http://www.farawaypress.com.

And JohnSyggel, while the series was never intended to be about the video game, but the timeframe (Dark Horse's first "Knights of the Old Republic" series predated the game's release by several years) -- this series does include Revan's origin story and big moments for several other game characters.

Knights of the Old Republic - War #1 is now on sale, continuing Zayne's story in what's intended to be a new entry point to this part of the timeline. #2 hits shelves Wednesday!

Thanks for posting, John! It's always nice to get creator feedback on these things. Hopefully some of our users will pick up the trades and see what a great series KotOR really was.

The Tales of the Jedi omnibus, which includes the original Knights of the Old Republic series that John mentions, are great stories as well and well worth reading if you enjoyed this title.

At the risk of sounding advert-ish, my interview with John, in which he talks about the new mini-series, will be in Starburst Magazine, released 14th February (available via Apple Newstand and your local comic book shop)!
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TFDutchman » Feb 6th, 2012, 9:32 am

Sounds fantastic. I'll definitely have to get into these. Being a Star Wars fan this is definitely up my alley. Great Work RR, I'll have to add this to my shopping cart

-- Feb 6th, 2012, 7:38 pm --

War also looks fantastic and I'm definitely keen to start reading that

"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder."
TFDutchman

Favourite Villain: Two-Face
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Postby johnsyggel » Feb 6th, 2012, 3:37 pm

A little off-topic,but i have to say i love it when creators like John Jackson Miller and Derek Fridolfs visit the forum!!!
When the mugger or the thief stops to think twice,that is fear.That is what I am.Tonight will not be my end,but it will be theirs!
johnsyggel

Favourite Graphic Novel: The killing joke

Postby CROD » Feb 6th, 2012, 5:17 pm

Haven't read this but it sounds pretty good. I'll have to check it out for sure. Great write up RR!

Always cool to see a creator on here.
CROD
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Postby KILLER CROC 3012 » Feb 6th, 2012, 6:39 pm

I like MASS EFFECT more than Star Wars.
scarecrow its Dr.Stockma for TMNT.(surgical intervention after each encounter with Batman!)
KILLER CROC 3012

Favourite Villain: MR.FREEZE and CROC!
Favourite Graphic Novel: ALL GOOD

Postby Scarecrow112 » Feb 7th, 2012, 6:24 am

Great review never thought Id see Star Wars on here though but great review none the less
Thanks to Maultest for the awesome sig
Scarecrow112

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow and Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: Death of the Family

Postby BobGun » Feb 7th, 2012, 6:08 pm

RR, great stuff, and it's amazing to see its creator thanking you. Take a bow.

I'll check this out, but man, TCC is starting to stretch the wallet... :alfred:
BobGun

Favourite Graphic Novel: Devil's Advocate

Postby Red_Robin » Feb 7th, 2012, 6:21 pm

BobGun wrote:I'll check this out, but man, TCC is starting to stretch the wallet... :alfred:

Post of the month, right there.
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Legolas » Feb 9th, 2012, 6:49 pm

Good thing they stayed away from any new easter eggs. The last one was....trollingly legendary ! :D

Legolas

Favourite Villain: Catwoman
Favourite Graphic Novel: Arkham Asylum

Postby Harvey Bullock » Dec 24th, 2012, 3:20 pm

Great read! :D Zayne Carrick was a brilliant character. Such a brilliant series too.
Harvey Bullock

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: DC: The New Frontier

Return to Treasure Chest Comics