[BAC] Poor performance/sutterings while flying or gliding

Own the games on PC? Feel free to share your graphics settings and mods in this dedicated sub-forum.

Re: [BAC] Poor performance/sutterings while flying or glidin

Postby M. Malone » Sep 25th, 2013, 4:21 pm

SenSx wrote:Thx but I'm playing on Directx9 in High settings, and still have those shuterrings.

But I might have found the problem, in fact the shutterings occure when the game has to load the map, wether I am playing outdoor or indoor, it does not matter.
And I noticed AC does not have any loading screen anymore when you enter or exit an area.
There are no loading time between places, so the game does not load ALL the map before you enter a new location like it did in AA, it loads a part of the map while you are playing, and it makes the hard drive work harder.
So if you have a crappy hard drive, like I do, you are going to have some shutterings when the game first has to load everyting, after that, it is fine.

Mr Malone, if yous till read this topic, I bet you have a SDD hard Drive.
My hard drive is the oldest component in my system, but there is no way I am buying a new advance one to get rid of those lags in AC, SDD drives are way to expensive right now for the space they offer.
Plusi f I really want to get the best of one SDD hard drive, I should reinstal my OS on it, and I am not considering to do that at the time, I prefer to deal with those shutterings instead.

Still, this is a optimization flow, I would much prefer to have loading screen, even if it looks to "old" for a new AAA game (new games tends to get rid of loading screen time).
Moreover reducing the graphics details help a litle, but really not enough :(

Finger crossed for Origins!

Yes, I do have a SSD. Although I'm surprised that it would stutter that much on a HDD. What speed is your drive? It must be like a 5400 RPM or something.

You're right about installing your OS on a SSD. It is noticeably faster. It is definitely a worthy investment, when the time comes...
10pm... I feel the rain coming down. My face feels wet, my mind the storm.
Flashing lights as people race to find shelter from the pour.
Moving silent, through the streets - They're Mine!.... They're mine...
M. Malone

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Postby SenSx » Sep 26th, 2013, 4:11 pm

I don't know the speed of my HDD, and don't know how to check this.

Any way I need a new hard drive with lots of space, I'm buying a HDD again, SDD will wait.
This new HDD will still ahve better frequency than the last, I doubt it will improve performance ingame with AC though...

Anyway thanks for the help again.
SenSx

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow/Black Mask
Favourite Graphic Novel: Court of Owls

Postby Napper64 » Sep 26th, 2013, 8:01 pm

SenSx, what you have described is down to poor optimization of the game. Dx 11 is very much broken in this game. While Dx9 will give you a steady 60fps for most of the game there will always be stuttering and hitching when textures are loading. This becomes prevalent when you glide around the city and entering doors. Even the villian taunts when you die have a massive frame drop at the start.

So your hardware is perfectly fine. I have installed this game on my SSD and it made very little difference.

My rig - i5 2500k @ 4.4GHz
Geforce 580 GTX
8GB RAM
OCZ-AGILITY3 SSD
Napper64

Postby Napper » Sep 26th, 2013, 8:05 pm

SenSx, what you have described is down to poor optimization of the game. Dx 11 is very much broken in this game. While Dx9 will give you a steady 60fps for most of the game there will always be stuttering and hitching when textures are loading. This becomes prevalent when you glide around the city and entering doors. Even the villian taunts when you die have a massive frame drop at the start.

So your hardware is perfectly fine. I have installed this game on my SSD and it made very little difference.

Geforce 580 GTX
8GB RAM
OCZ-AGILITY3 SSD
Napper

Postby M. Malone » Sep 26th, 2013, 10:23 pm

Napper wrote:SenSx, what you have described is down to poor optimization of the game. Dx 11 is very much broken in this game. While Dx9 will give you a steady 60fps for most of the game there will always be stuttering and hitching when textures are loading. This becomes prevalent when you glide around the city and entering doors. Even the villian taunts when you die have a massive frame drop at the start.

Geforce 580 GTX
8GB RAM
OCZ-AGILITY3 SSD

Wow, it's a miracle that I somehow managed to build the only system in the galaxy capable of running this game smoothly! :heath:

DX11 is very much broken in the game trying to run it on a Fermi-based card like the 580GTX. I know, because I played it on an overclocked MSI 580GTX Lightning Xtreme 3GB DUAL card and it ran like crap on DX11. But that was because the Fermi cards were poorly optimized for DX11 features.

There WERE serious problems with DX11 at release day, but they later fixed everything with a patch.

But at any rate, I'm starting to think perhaps my standards for acceptable frame rates are just different than you guys. I am getting constant 40+fps with every setting maxed,and texture quality overridden to the highest setting in NVidia Control Panel. But pretty much anything over 35fps I am fine with. As previously mentioned, I am also playing the game in 3D, which has a negative impact on fps. According to this chart:
http://www.geforce.com/Active/en_US/sha ... 70v470.png
Sensx's 670 card should be running the game just fine at max DX11 settings. In fact, it beats out my 690GTX in this particular game by a few fps.

As for hard drives, installing the game to an SSD absolutely makes a difference. The load screen times were terribly long in this game - 15 to 20 seconds, but after installing it to my SSD they were cut in half. That being said, I've never seen the stuttering you have described when gliding through the city as if the textures are loading, ever.

F.Y.I. Sensx, HDDs spin up at different speeds - the faster the speed the faster the information stored on the HDD can be fetched. Most performance HDDs are rated at 7200rpm, while more budget oriented hard drives can be 5400-5900rpm.
M. Malone

Postby SenSx » Sep 26th, 2013, 11:49 pm

Having 40 constant FPS on a PC game with your high end specs Mr.Malone, is not, really really not normal, you should be at constant 60 fps.
I bet you are playing with Directx.11, because the patch did not solve a thing, AC still lags as hell in Directx 11.

Right now I have 60 fps on AC in high settings Dx9, and even in very high.
The problem is that it is not constant 60 FPS, I have fps drops when I moove around the map, or even indoor.
But once the game loaded what it had to load, i get my 60 FPS back.
I just noticed that those shutterings are less important in high settings compared to very high.

My top priorities in games is to get 60+ constant FPS, even if I have to lower graphism settings.

And thx for your answer Napper64, I'm sick of hearing that AC is the best opimized game people have never seen in their whole life gamers, because I would say it is one of the worst, if not the worst.
SenSx

Postby Napper » Sep 27th, 2013, 1:53 am

M. Malone, with your 690 you should be looking at 60fps with this game easily. But you are seeing 40+ as you said because simply the game isn't optimised. I own the GOTY version and I do understand what your saying in regard to Directx 11. It was broken originally and patched later on, but it still is a stutterfest. The SSD does help with loading yes, but I meant it doesn't help much in terms of streaming textures mid game to negate the stutter.

If you sit a few feet from your monitor and play at around 40FPS you possibly wont notice these stutters at all. However if you are playing at 60FPS and the game drops to 57FPS just for a second, it is very noticeable as 60FPS is so fluid to look at.

I'm pretty sure you get the same stutters we are talking about. I bet I can rattle off a few for you.

1) Start of the game. Playing as Catwomen in the intro. When you defeat the 2nd last thug, the game will always pause to load - giving you a strong stutter in Frames. This always happens.

2) In the Steel Mill (with physx on HIgh) simply run through the building opening doors and run through the boiler room and you will see the frames dip quite frequently.

3) If you die in open areas such as outside in the streets by Joker/Two Face/Penguins thugs etc. The death taunt that follows will stutter at the start and after 2 seconds return to 60fps. You can even press the "home" key to bring down the windows for Live page to pause the game at that point. And you will still see the frames jump about until they settle back at 60fps.

Im not denying the fact that your rig with a GTX 690 will easily outperform my card in regards to performance, but I don't see how you could simply not experience any of these hitches in gameplay.
Napper

Postby M. Malone » Sep 27th, 2013, 1:38 pm

SenSx wrote:Having 40 constant FPS on a PC game with your high end specs Mr.Malone, is not, really really not normal, you should be at constant 60 fps.
I bet you are playing with Directx.11, because the patch did not solve a thing, AC still lags as hell in Directx 11.

My top priorities in games is to get 60+ constant FPS, even if I have to lower graphism settings.

And thx for your answer Napper64, I'm sick of hearing that AC is the best opimized game people have never seen in their whole life gamers, because I would say it is one of the worst, if not the worst.

You missed what I was saying about stereo 3D - Yes, I should, and WOULD have 60fps constant very easily with my setup, but I'm literally rendering every frame TWICE at a slightly offset angle. Doing twice the amount of work tends to lower fps significantly.
And yes, I am playing with DX11 settings - as I said, playing everything on max. And yes, the PC patch solved MAJOR problems, because DX11 was unplayable before the patch. And now the game does not "lag as hell in DX11." Not for me. But am I getting 60fps? No. Never claimed to be.

This whole thread got started mainly because you were complaining about stuttering when flying around the city, which may or may not be directly related to fps. It doesn't sound like normal fps stuttering, but whatever. If you need to have 60+fps at all times, that's cool. You certainly aren't the only one who feels that way. But I given the choice between lower settings and 60fps, vs. 40fps and max settings, I prefer the latter - Just my opinion. At some point this conversation devolved into a debate whether the game is poorly optimized, when I was really just trying to help you deal with the problem. My purpose in pointing out my specs and the performance I'm seeing was not to brag, but to demonstrate that the game CAN run smoothly - and I'm not talking about fps, I'm talking about the stuttering lag you initially complained about. If you want to blame the game for being poorly optimized, that's fine, but the situation could be likened to two cars at a drag strip - A 900 horsepower Lamborghini does 0-60 in 3 seconds, while a 300hp Mustang does it in 8 seconds, but rather than look at the power disparity, the Mustang owner blames the road for being bumpy.

-- Sep 27th, 2013, 7:50 am --

Napper wrote:M. Malone, with your 690 you should be looking at 60fps with this game easily. But you are seeing 40+ as you said because simply the game isn't optimised.

I'm pretty sure you get the same stutters we are talking about. I bet I can rattle off a few for you.

1) Start of the game. Playing as Catwomen in the intro. When you defeat the 2nd last thug, the game will always pause to load - giving you a strong stutter in Frames. This always happens.

2) In the Steel Mill (with physx on HIgh) simply run through the building opening doors and run through the boiler room and you will see the frames dip quite frequently.

3) If you die in open areas such as outside in the streets by Joker/Two Face/Penguins thugs etc. The death taunt that follows will stutter at the start and after 2 seconds return to 60fps. You can even press the "home" key to bring down the windows for Live page to pause the game at that point. And you will still see the frames jump about until they settle back at 60fps.

Im not denying the fact that your rig with a GTX 690 will easily outperform my card in regards to performance, but I don't see how you could simply not experience any of these hitches in gameplay.

No, I'm getting 40fps instead of 60+ because I'm rendering every frame twice.
No, it's not a stutter-fest after the patch. If it was, I wouldn't be playing it in DX11 settings, I would be complaining about it along with you guys.

How exactly are you 'pretty sure' I get the same stutters, seeing as how you have never sat in front of my monitor?

Scenario 1) I honestly don't know. I haven't played the start of the game in probably a year. Couldn't say if that's there. I don't remember anything that made me go "Wow, that sucks."

2) Um, yeah, you mean that dut dut dut brief stuttering right as you walk through the door and then everything's fine? Really? You are griping about that? If THAT kind of stuff is what's ticking you off, then this whole conversation is farcical. That is a miniscule sacrifice for seeing this game in all its glory at high settings. I mean really? C'mon!

3) I've never seen stuttering of any kind during a death taunt - 'Course, I don't usually see death taunts very often ;) . That is, unless I'm fighting Poison Ivy, and then I keep dying over, and over and over... :lol:
M. Malone

Postby Napper » Sep 27th, 2013, 4:08 pm

"2) Um, yeah, you mean that dut dut dut brief stuttering right as you walk through the door and then everything's fine? Really? You are griping about that? If THAT kind of stuff is what's ticking you off, then this whole conversation is farcical. That is a miniscule sacrifice for seeing this game in all its glory at high settings. I mean really? C'mon"

Exactly mate that's what we are referring to. Yes your right it is a small enough gripe. I mean I still play this game religiously regardless but still it is something that annoys me. If you take the same engine and look at what 2k did with BioShock infinite. Now there was horrible stutter similar to arkham in that game due to texture streaming. But fair play to them, they brought out a patch that fixed it completely. Rocksteady just never was able to do the same fully with arkham.

-- Nov 10th, 2013, 4:07 pm --

I went back and tested both the GFWL version and the steamworks version (patched to remove GFWL) of the game. I can saftely say all the stutter we reported is gone, and the culprit was the GFWL overlay. I used fraps and then graphed the frametimes using FRAFS.

There was considerably more stutter on the GFWL version. I could replicate the same extreme dips in frame times in the steel mill with GFWL. However with the steam version there was no such stutter. I'm just glad that broken piece of crap from Microsoft is being put to death.
Napper

Postby SenSx » Jan 6th, 2014, 7:57 pm

I confirm this, just installed the steam version, and while the game still have shutters at the same moments, those are REALLY less noticeable, the difference is HUGE.
BAC did not have a great optimization, but GFWL was making it way worse than it is, may this crap burn in hell indeed.
SenSx

Postby M. Malone » Jan 11th, 2014, 12:10 am

That is great news guys! I too purchased the Steam versions recently, just because I got sick of the GFWL during re-installations of the games. I've re-formatted/ upgraded 2 or 3 times since BAC came out and these games must ALWAYS reside on my system. But the GFWL really made installation a pain in the butt, especially with BAA.
M. Malone

Previous

Return to PC Discussion