GamesMaster Batman Arkham Origins Preview

The latest news regarding Batman: Arkham Knight and its related merchandise can be found right here!
The internet's source for Batman: Arkham news.

GamesMaster Batman Arkham Origins Preview

Postby Red_Robin » Apr 26th, 2013, 2:17 pm

The latest issue of GamesMaster has an 'exclusive' look at the upcoming Batman Arkham game.

Obviously, we won't be writing up the entire article because for just £3.99 you can support gaming journalism (print or digital).

We will however give you a rundown of the new information:

- "The Batman of Arkham City is Batman 5.0. He will punch out a guy without looking at him knowing exactly how many teeth he's just fractured just from the feeling from his knuckles. Our Batman is version 0.9." -Ben Mattes
- expect every boss encounter to be different
- "We really believe that we've made the coolest version of Deathstroke [in any media]. He's a wonderful counterpart to Batman." -Ben Mattes
- "Making Batman scary again is important. In later years Batman becomes very much part of the institution." -Mattes
- "'Arkham Quality' is not 'this feature is kinda cool', 'Arkham Quality' is 'this feature is perfect'. If its not perfect, it doesn't too in the box." -Mattes

The article also reveals just how seriously WB Games Montreal are taking this game by delving into two of the game features that they tried out and abandoned because they didn't live up to previous Arkham games.

The first is a dynamic weather system that was designed to affect freeflow combat. The gusts of wind from the encroaching blizzard would force thugs to stand still and cover their eyes, but also make it difficult for players to control Batman. Mattes said that they cut it because it "sucks". There was no indication that the dynamic weather system was removed though, just the winds affecting freeflow.

The second idea to be cut early was some kind of robotic drone that would hunt Batman during predator missions, but the developers decided that Batman shouldn't spend the whole of the predator sections on the defensive.

Overall, the article is a great read and the demo has gone a long way to make the writers feel good about WB Montreal's ability to pull off the Arkham prequel.

They say if feels just like playing Arkham City; what do you think of Arkham Origins so far?
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: No Man's Land

Re: GamesMaster Batman Arkham Origins Preview

Postby TFDutchman » Apr 26th, 2013, 3:25 pm

I'm immensely jealous of the UK right now because we don't get GamesMaster, especially when you apparently receive this as a free poster inside the magazine:

"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder."
TFDutchman

Favourite Villain: Two-Face
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Postby MadAsAHatter85 » Apr 26th, 2013, 3:30 pm

im downloading the digital issue on my iphone right now...will provide infos!
MadAsAHatter85

Favourite Villain: Joker

Postby TFDutchman » Apr 26th, 2013, 3:36 pm

2% downloaded on my Ipod. The anticipation is killing me!!! :lol:

TFDutchman

Postby Psycho50501 » Apr 26th, 2013, 3:45 pm

TFDutchman wrote:I'm immensely jealous of the UK right now because we don't get GamesMaster, especially when you apparently receive this as a free poster inside the magazine:

Man that poster is awesome.... Hopefully in the next few weeks I will be able to track down this Magazine on Ebay....
Psycho50501

Favourite Villain: Joker,Harley
Favourite Graphic Novel: TDKR

Postby TFDutchman » Apr 26th, 2013, 3:50 pm

Psycho50501 wrote:Man that poster is awesome.... Hopefully in the next few weeks I will be able to track down this Magazine on Ebay....

You can buy it from here, though not sure how much you'd be wanting to pay for it
http://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/V ... un-13.html

I'm at 68% downloaded now. Really wish it would download faster. I have like no patience at all when it comes to possibly juicy new info :lol:

TFDutchman

Postby MadAsAHatter85 » Apr 26th, 2013, 3:58 pm

after downloading comes processing, taking forever...man
MadAsAHatter85

Postby TFDutchman » Apr 26th, 2013, 4:02 pm

After a quick skim I can say that some of the new images look amazing and give some great looks at Black Mask and the new Batsuit, but not much new from what I can see in terms of information. They seem to be going over a lot of the same points pointed out in the Game Informer issue. More in-depth reading required.

EDIT: The one comment I like so far is that Arkham Origins pretty well plays exactly like Arkham City. Certainly boosts confidence in the project.

EDIT: My new favourite quote from the article
As a team we are absolutely not only acutely aware of, but perhaps obsessed with, the ramifications of "Arkham Quality."

"Arkham Quality" has been our life since we started development. "Arkham Quality" is not "this feature's kinda cool" it's, "This feature is perfect." If it's not perfect it doesn't go in the box.

EDIT: The Hud features a Storm Indicator. The game takes place during a massive snowstorm and the indicator warns you of incoming winde blasts. This also helps to explain the absence of civilians on the streets and why they would abandon their cars, engines still running, as well as lights still on.

EDIT: The bridge is a fully playable area. There's no loading in between Old and New Gotham. You can walk from tip to tip if you wanted to in a seemless environment. So the bridge is a playable area.

EDIT:
Overhauled progression tree is promised with much more emphasis placed on choosing between different branches of upgrade paths when powering up your gear.

EDIT: Overall, while it looks, feels and plays the same as Asylum and City, it's not just a reskin. WB Montreal have created a fresh new title that takes the formula created by Rocksteady and built upon it with the new Detective features fixing, what the article considers, the series only shortfall thus far.

These words alone have given me the utmost faith that Origins will meet and possibly even exceed the bar set by Asylum and City. Well done, WB Montreal.
Last edited by TFDutchman on Apr 26th, 2013, 4:22 pm, edited 7 times in total.

TFDutchman

Postby Psycho50501 » Apr 26th, 2013, 4:09 pm

TFDutchman wrote:
Psycho50501 wrote:Man that poster is awesome.... Hopefully in the next few weeks I will be able to track down this Magazine on Ebay....

You can buy it from here, though not sure how much you'd be wanting to pay for it
http://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/V ... un-13.html

I'm at 68% downloaded now. Really wish it would download faster. I have like no patience at all when it comes to possibly juicy new info :lol:

Ok thanks it's only 9.26 not bad and they dont charge for shipping.... Well that is very good to hear that it plays just like Arkham City....
Psycho50501

Favourite Villain: Joker,Harley
Favourite Graphic Novel: TDKR

Postby Euan3112 » Apr 26th, 2013, 4:13 pm

I'm buying this right now. That poster looks badass
Euan3112

Favourite Villain: Harley Quinn
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Postby MadAsAHatter85 » Apr 26th, 2013, 4:17 pm

yep nothing new really
says there was no mention of the joker and that they assume black mask is the main villain

most wanted - mini campaign side stories centred on other major villains :D
new detective feature with bat computer and fast forwarding etc still sounds rad

two things were cut
free flow combat in sandstorms
and drones in predator rooms
MadAsAHatter85

Postby TFDutchman » Apr 26th, 2013, 4:25 pm

MadAsAHatter85 wrote:two things were cut
free flow combat in sandstorms
and drones in predator rooms

I almost posted those as features before reaching the part where they said they were cut. They were great ideas though to have the freeflow combat affected by the storm. Too bad it didn't work the way they wanted. Could've been interesting.

Still, what they said about the game taking place during a storm and having a storm indicator sounds great. Makes me think that in lieu of the grapnel boost, that storm winds may act to help carry us and help us glide further than typically possible. Like a bird riding thermal winds. If the storm and winds play some part in how we glide around the city I think that could be an incredibly innovative idea.

TFDutchman

Postby MadAsAHatter85 » Apr 26th, 2013, 4:29 pm

reading it again...is the snowstorm still in?
and again: WB montreal is keen on keeping quiet about major characters in the game till release

looking forward to early september when the achievements arrive :D
MadAsAHatter85

Postby TFDutchman » Apr 26th, 2013, 4:34 pm

In a little bubble, this is GameMasters description of the Batsuit:
The ears and cape are present and correct, of course, but his armour's rather unsophisticated: a thick jumper with moulded hunks of plating pulled over the top, all joined together with rivets and elastic ribbons.

Another bubble:
Scaredy Bat

"Making Batman scary again is important," says Mattes. "In later years Batman becomes very much a part of the institution. That's not who our Batman is. Our Batman blows a hole in a wall, steps through, completely wraith-like with glowing eyes, grabs a guy and disappears before the rest can even blink. And they're like, "What was that? Was that a vampire?"

I like the idea of a scary Batman. Makes me think of the docks scene in Batman Begins.

TFDutchman

Postby batman404 » Apr 26th, 2013, 4:51 pm

TFDutchman wrote:
Scaredy Bat

"Making Batman scary again is important," says Mattes. "In later years Batman becomes very much a part of the institution. That's not who our Batman is. Our Batman blows a hole in a wall, steps through, completely wraith-like with glowing eyes, grabs a guy and disappears before the rest can even blink. And they're like, "What was that? Was that a vampire?"

That sounds awesome! I love it when Batman's portrayed as a kind of mythical figure of the night.
batman404

Favourite Graphic Novel: YOne and TDKReturns

Next

Return to News