Official Batman: Arkham Insider Discussion UPDATED WEEKLY

The latest news regarding Batman: Arkham Knight and its related merchandise can be found right here!
The internet's source for Batman: Arkham news.

Re: Official Batman: Arkham Insider Discussion UPDATED WEEKL

Postby Red leader » Dec 19th, 2015, 5:14 am

DatBat wrote:hmmmmm

Okay, now, I'll tag it, because it's a negative opinion on the game and more specifically it's marketing, and I don't want to start a firefight, but it needs to be said. Also story spoilers if that's still necessary.

Spoiler: show
So, let's consider what the main selling points of Arkham Knight were. I'll narrow it down to three main things.

1.) The Batmobile- This mechanic was shoved down our throats. Every ad, every interview, every gameplay video, they're showing the Batmobile off. I, personally, did not enjoy to use the Batmobile in the game at all. I know that many of the professional games journalists who reviewed the game ALSO did not like the Batmobile. I also know many of us on the site did not like it. If you like it, good for you, but from what I've seen and heard, the general consensus seems to be that the Batmobile is a failure

2.) The Arkham Knight is an all-new original character created by Rocksteady- A blatant POWing lie. It was so obvious that it was Jason Todd, that for the plot to be something we wanted to play, they lied to us and made us feel like we couldn't possibly figure it out before the game came out. Unfortunately, we all knew, at least in the back of our head. It was obvious, but it was Rocksteady, so we believed them. The game comes out, we play it, and we get to the scene where the Knight's about to unmask. We've already seen a lot of mentions of Jason Todd, even full-blown scenes revolving around Joker-blood hallucinations. But i can't be Jason, it's an all new character! The mask comes off, and IT'S JASON.

3.) Final RS Batman Game- I've waited to talk about the selling points solely for this one. We've theorized about how it might not be the end, but until this video, RS maintained that they were not making any more Batman games. Then Sefton pulls that cheeky tease and the video cuts out. Another lie.

Two of the main selling points were flat-out lies, and the other was received poorly by many fans and reviewers. This game delivered on none of the things it constantly told us about. These were the things that distinguished it from Asylum or City. It had the Batmobile (which we were made to believe was good through the incessant marketing), the main antagonist was a brand new character, and it was going to be the finale.

We played right into their hands.

Not only was it a tease but they act like we still universally love them. it gets on my nerves so much.
"I'm afraid that when I walk through those asylum gates, when I walk into arkham and the doors close behind me, It'll be just like coming home"
Bruce Wayne, arkham asylum ASHOSE.
Red leader

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: Arkham asylum ashose

Postby Mr_Weasel_ » Dec 19th, 2015, 5:52 am

Okay, now, I'll tag it, because it's a negative opinion on the game and more specifically it's marketing, and I don't want to start a firefight, but it needs to be said. Also story spoilers if that's still necessary.

2.) The Arkham Knight is an all-new original character created by Rocksteady- A blatant POWing lie. It was so obvious that it was Jason Todd, that for the plot to be something we wanted to play, they lied to us and made us feel like we couldn't possibly figure it out before the game came out. Unfortunately, we all knew, at least in the back of our head. It was obvious, but it was Rocksteady, so we believed them. The game comes out, we play it, and we get to the scene where the Knight's about to unmask. We've already seen a lot of mentions of Jason Todd, even full-blown scenes revolving around Joker-blood hallucinations. But i can't be Jason, it's an all new character! The mask comes off, and IT'S JASON.

They didn't really lie about the Arkham Knight. They said he was a new character and whilst Jason Todd wasn't a new character the Arkham Knight was. It's a marketing stunt pulled by pretty much everyone. "We'll tell you the truth, albeit not clearly and not all of the truth."

As for their last Batman game I was always under the impression they kept saying it was indeed their last Batman game. Others seemed to think they were saying it was the last Arkham game. Now that it's possible another game will come from them I'm beginning to wonder what it really was that they said.
Mr_Weasel_

Favourite Villain: Hush, ManBat, Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Heart Of Hush

Postby BuNKiTZ » Dec 19th, 2015, 7:01 am

Season of Infamy seems to have a lot of content. Could still not have a lot. Hopefully, it really will have plenty of new content. Regardless, it will still be disappointing in that they're not introducing new villains at all. Tsk.
BuNKiTZ

Favourite Villain: Mister Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman R.I.P.

Postby Mani-Man » Dec 19th, 2015, 10:25 am

Mr_Weasel_ wrote:

They didn't really lie about the Arkham Knight. They said he was a new character and whilst Jason Todd wasn't a new character the Arkham Knight was. It's a marketing stunt pulled by pretty much everyone. "We'll tell you the truth, albeit not clearly and not all of the truth."

As for their last Batman game I was always under the impression they kept saying it was indeed their last Batman game. Others seemed to think they were saying it was the last Arkham game. Now that it's possible another game will come from them I'm beginning to wonder what it really was that they said.

Agree on the arkham knight character thing.
Now WBM DID lie, they said that the joker will not be the main villian and stuff...yet he was.
Arkham Knight itself, was a completely new character...just the person underneath the helmet was a known.

Until they announce a new game, i live in the small bubble that thinks they are just done with the arkham verse and they will create a new one that maybe starts from batman very first night.
Mani-Man

Postby Xranf » Dec 19th, 2015, 3:12 pm

Mr_Weasel_ wrote:

????

they lied so bad about arkhm knight and joker.

But the guys are so clever that they lied to you without liyng.

Arkham knight of course was and not was a brand new character.

was because of his name and design, but they lied to you because he was red hood. PRE-red hood.

Joker was dead? the same level of lying, he was and he was not dead at all.

he was "dead" because he didnt survive at the end of city but he just lost his body, but they lied to you because his consciousness was in his blood and of course he was alive but he didnt have his body.

* the reason why bats saw him was because his fear to finally transform into him (real fact and real fear) with the toxin bats gave body to jokers consciousness.
they simply copy/paste the return of the joker + fear toxin in such a clever way.

But they lied so bad, of course they were not going to tell you the truth. its obvious...
Xranf

Postby BiGbAdBaTz » Dec 20th, 2015, 2:13 pm

Mani-Man wrote:
Mr_Weasel_ wrote:

Agree on the arkham knight character thing.
Now WBM DID lie, they said that the joker will not be the main villian and stuff...yet he was.
Arkham Knight itself, was a completely new character...just the person underneath the helmet was a known.

Until they announce a new game, i live in the small bubble that thinks they are just done with the arkham verse and they will create a new one that maybe starts from batman very first night.

I can't blame them for trying to conceal their plot, though. I'm quite glad they kept Jokers role in Origins secret. They're not gonna spoil their own story before it comes out.
*woman sobbing on the floor*
Batman: QUIET!
BiGbAdBaTz

Favourite Villain: Harley Quinn

Postby DatBat » Dec 20th, 2015, 4:52 pm

Mr_Weasel_ wrote:

It was totally a lie. His backstory is almost exactly the same, but they snipped off the parts about the League bringing him back.
“There are only two things I can say about the character you just saw. Number one: his name is the Arkham Knight. Number two: he is a completely original character that we have designed at Rocksteady in collaboration with DC Comics. That’s it.”
That is a direct quote from Dax Ginn near the release of the game. When you hear "completely original character", you think that the character inside the suit will also be completely original. Instead the "new character" was literally Jason Todd in a mechanized Batsuit. The changes to his backstory, while large, were not effective in making him different than Red Hood. They are the caliber of changes that would be in a Nolan film or something. Big differences that don't really matter. Like how Two-Face's origins were completely different in Dark Knight than they were in any other comic. Although his backstory was a bit different, he was still a District Attorney with half his face scarred off who committed crimes based on flipping a coin. Arkham Knight's origins are different to that of Red Hood, but he is the same. He is an ex-robin who was kidnapped by Joker and disappeared for many years, and was thought to be dead (and was dead in most comics), but came back and began committing crimes to get his revenge on Batman. That defines a character. A tweak or two added to a backstory and a cool looking suit don't make a new character.
DatBat

Favourite Villain: Thanos

Postby JordanT4021 » Dec 20th, 2015, 5:22 pm

DatBat wrote:
Mr_Weasel_ wrote:

It was totally a lie. His backstory is almost exactly the same, but they snipped off the parts about the League bringing him back.
“There are only two things I can say about the character you just saw. Number one: his name is the Arkham Knight. Number two: he is a completely original character that we have designed at Rocksteady in collaboration with DC Comics. That’s it.”
That is a direct quote from Dax Ginn near the release of the game. When you hear "completely original character", you think that the character inside the suit will also be completely original. Instead the "new character" was literally Jason Todd in a mechanized Batsuit. The changes to his backstory, while large, were not effective in making him different than Red Hood. They are the caliber of changes that would be in a Nolan film or something. Big differences that don't really matter. Like how Two-Face's origins were completely different in Dark Knight than they were in any other comic. Although his backstory was a bit different, he was still a District Attorney with half his face scarred off who committed crimes based on flipping a coin. Arkham Knight's origins are different to that of Red Hood, but he is the same. He is an ex-robin who was kidnapped by Joker and disappeared for many years, and was thought to be dead (and was dead in most comics), but came back and began committing crimes to get his revenge on Batman. That defines a character. A tweak or two added to a backstory and a cool looking suit don't make a new character.

Sorry to butt in but they totally did lie. As Datbat said, Sefton Hill said in multiple interviews that the Arkham Knight was an entirely original character which he wasn't in any sense of the word. Upon seeing the multiple gameplay trailers, fans became worried that there was an overuse of the Batmobile, to which RS replied that these videos showed only 10 minutes of gameplay and that the game is balanced out well. Another total lie. Also, there were multiple trailers showing scenes that weren't in the game e.g. the villain meet up, bat family on the GCPD roof and the bat family meeting Oracle in the watch tower.
JordanT4021

Favourite Villain: Poison Ivy
Favourite Graphic Novel: Wonder Woman: Blood

Postby Mr_Weasel_ » Dec 21st, 2015, 1:00 am

JordanT4021 wrote:Upon seeing the multiple gameplay trailers, fans became worried that there was an overuse of the Batmobile, to which RS replied that these videos showed only 10 minutes of gameplay and that the game is balanced out well. Another total lie. Also, there were multiple trailers showing scenes that weren't in the game e.g. the villain meet up, bat family on the GCPD roof and the bat family meeting Oracle in the watch tower.

Say what you will about the way Rocksteady concealed Arkham Knight but you're really just being over the top in calling them liers over the balancing of the game. In theirs eyes the game could be well balanced, it just comes down to people's personal opinions and enjoymemt.

The cut trailer scenes is a bit annoying especially when they were used in trailers right before launch but it's not like RS are the only ones who do it. In fact it's quite common in both the game and film industry.
Mr_Weasel_

Favourite Villain: Hush, ManBat, Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Heart Of Hush

Postby JordanT4021 » Dec 21st, 2015, 1:42 am

Mr_Weasel_ wrote:
JordanT4021 wrote:Upon seeing the multiple gameplay trailers, fans became worried that there was an overuse of the Batmobile, to which RS replied that these videos showed only 10 minutes of gameplay and that the game is balanced out well. Another total lie. Also, there were multiple trailers showing scenes that weren't in the game e.g. the villain meet up, bat family on the GCPD roof and the bat family meeting Oracle in the watch tower.

Say what you will about the way Rocksteady concealed Arkham Knight but you're really just being over the top in calling them liers over the balancing of the game. In theirs eyes the game could be well balanced, it just comes down to people's personal opinions and enjoymemt.

The cut trailer scenes is a bit annoying especially when they were used in trailers right before launch but it's not like RS are the only ones who do it. In fact it's quite common in both the game and film industry.

I'm not sure at all about that.The vast majority of the story and it's side mission relied heavily on the batmobile and was not balanced in any shape or form. Having an opinion/viewpoint about your game is fine but ignoring facts is blatant lying. That's like saying "my opinion is that the UK is not a country." It might be my opinion but it's not true and it's a lie.
I'm not comparing Rocksteady to any other game developer here. They made these choices which influenced me and many others to gain a negative opinion of them. It's false advertising and something I thought Rocksteady wouldn't have to resort to.
JordanT4021

Favourite Villain: Poison Ivy
Favourite Graphic Novel: Wonder Woman: Blood

Postby Mani-Man » Dec 21st, 2015, 11:00 am

Hm, it all comes down to marketing and everyones own interpretation.

No video game gives you 100% what trailers, interviews etc hype...thats a sad truth but it is called marketing.
As for the whole Arkham knight thing...when you look at it from the simple perspective of the overall character, rocksteady didnt lie.
The Arkham Knight, without the person behind the mask...is a completely original character.

The Batmobile is also a tricky thing.
In every forum, comment section, youtube video...the most wanted thing for a arkham sequel...was the batmobile.
Rocksteady then started to do what the fans seem to want...give them the batmobile.
Down the line they simply got lost in the mechanic and importance of the car.
You cant deny that the balance between the batmobile and batman is off...its not "total" unbalanced, but a majority of it is.

As for the cut scenes, it is unclear why they arent in...it could be budget, storytelling reasons, WB wanting them to be gone etc.
It is one thing to show cut scenes in movies, but in games it shouldnt be.
The scene with the villian meeting or alfred in the batcave, seems to add a strong emotional aspect...so why cut it?
Mani-Man

Postby legion » Dec 21st, 2015, 10:13 pm

Guys, we found a way to download tomorrow's DLC right now. If you have an Xbox, set your location to Australia as its Tuesday there at the moment. Once you've restarted your system, you can download the DLC via the Marketplace. Have fun. :)
Sanity is Overrated
legion

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow/Black Mask

Postby BatmanXZero » Dec 22nd, 2015, 5:36 pm

Hey guys, There is nothing wrong with stating your opinions about things. But I hope you realize that when you excessively complain over and over again, you give the watching eyes at the devs the wrong ideas. They'll take your excessive complaining about the Batmobile, and this and that and will possibly leave out the feature in future games. Which if you're honest with yourselves, that isn't something you really want. State your opinion and then leave it there. You complain about the Batmobile being overused, but forget that this is an element of Batman that we've wanted in a Arkham game since 2009. Rocksteady wanted to give its fans the full features of using the Batmobile so they implemented it and made it more than just a way to get around the city. I applaud them for that, because some devs would just make an arcade car simulator and thats all you would've gotten. If you want to remember the last game that you got to use the Batmobile in and it was implemented way worse, go play Batman and Robin for the PS1.

You also don't understand or appreciate their attention to detail. This game looks absolutely incredible, and it is not easy or quick to do. For ex, they stated, for one costume it takes several months to complete and you got how many costumes? Not just for Batman (including costumes for movies that haven't even come out yet..), but for other characters as well. Then imagine how long it takes to create the city. To fine tune that city for the Batmobile AND for Batman to traverse. Then to do changes to Combat mode and predator mode. Its a friggin lot of work that gets crapped on and looked over by you guys the fans. Yes Arkham Knight isn't perfect, yes it has its issues. Yes the marketing was bad. But we've gotten more feedback and results in trying to win their fans back from Rocksteady than we would've gotten from any company, yet you guys still complain nonstop. Remember the annoying blue walls? Gone. No varying level in the combat challenges? Fixed and you get hard mode now. Not enough challenge maps? Fixed, now you have lots of challenge maps. No character selection? Fixed, now you can use ALL playable characters except for Commissioner Gordon and Thomas Elliot. You complain that the Arkham Story episodes are too short, but we didn't even get anything like that for Arkham Asylum or City. The closest would be Catwoman's missions in City. Then we get these Arkham Episodes for Batgirl, Harley, Nightwing, Robin, Catwoman, and Redhood. Even if they are an average of around 15mins to beat, totaled up thats an hour and 30mins of extra content. On top of that we get Season of Infamy, and more content this month and then a Fan/Community challenge maps addition next month. Sheez.

And I know, you're of the belief that some of these things should be standard as they were standard in previous games. You're correct, but at the same time game dev for Triple A titles is an expensive and time consuming thing now. The level we're at now, the games are only one step below movies in both graphical advance and budget. Games aren't looking like toy figures now, they're one-two steps below looking real. Think about that.

I'm not saying that you need to worship Rocksteady like they can do no wrong (obviously they can), I'm just saying that there's a difference between constructive criticism and excessive complaining. In my opinion, the only fans that can complain excessively and it be valid are the PC owners of AK.

Ordinarily, I would just stay in the shadows and not say anything at all. But I don't want Rocksteady/WB to think that just because some of their ideas and execution wasn't successfully accepted by all the masses, that they should toss those ideas. For the next time, just refine those ideas, use the constructive criticism and continue to make great games.
BatmanXZero

Previous

Return to News