Remaining Season Pass Content confirmed by Rocksteady

The latest news regarding Batman: Arkham Knight and its related merchandise can be found right here!
The internet's source for Batman: Arkham news.

Re: Remaining Season Pass Content confirmed by Rocksteady

Postby Mani-Man » Nov 26th, 2015, 11:47 am

I must say, the catwoman mini dlc is by far the best written one imo.
The dialogue is pretty good, especially on RIddlers part.
It was really funny to hear him and catwoman banter.

The Ending of the main game hurt all those dlcs however, there is never any real follow up to the events.
The robin dlc is the only one that really feels like its after the games ending...and even then it doesnt feel like it had any impact.

Not having a battlemode hurt the batmobile dlcs, it only makes fun for about 5 mintues before you get bored with them in free roam.

Much of the DLC is very well done, detailed and fun...but the overall game hinders them to be better.
Mani-Man

Postby TheJester » Nov 26th, 2015, 6:17 pm

Catwoman's is definitely the strongest of the post-AK DLC. Though the predator section is annoyingly a copy from Arkham City, the combat encounters are actually very well thought out, and have a lot of complexity to them. The dialogue is also good for once! Selina and Eddie have some great lines, particularly when the latter is arguing with his computer, and pretending to call his lawyer :oldyella:
~ I'm not mad, I'm just differently sane. ~
Check out my latest fanfic, Clipped Wings, here!
TheJester

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Postby Prisoner 4011 » Nov 26th, 2015, 6:54 pm

Catwoman's was awesome! Loved it! So good, and the LOOP Map.
Prisoner 4011

Postby Damian_Wayne » Nov 26th, 2015, 7:00 pm

TheJester wrote:Catwoman's is definitely the strongest of the post-AK DLC. Though the predator section is annoyingly a copy from Arkham City, the combat encounters are actually very well thought out, and have a lot of complexity to them. The dialogue is also good for once! Selina and Eddie have some great lines, particularly when the latter is arguing with his computer, and pretending to call his lawyer :oldyella:

I love her comment "why is it always three key cards?" :oldyella:
"I wasn't taught to fight fair. I was taught to win."
Damian_Wayne

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman: Reborn

Postby Harvey Bullock » Nov 26th, 2015, 9:52 pm

That freeflow encounter in Catwoman's DLC may just be the cheapest, most deliberately frustrating one I've ever seen. It's impossible to see counter markers when there are so many different lights and pieces of robot wreckage about. Furthermore, how on earth are you meant to survive in that tiny little square? Any action sends you into an electrical grid and leads to your death. The only way I've succeeded is through trial and error - challenging players isn't accomplished by introducing a level that's completed through luck.
Harvey Bullock

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: DC: The New Frontier

Postby Damian_Wayne » Nov 26th, 2015, 10:17 pm

Harvey Bullock wrote:That freeflow encounter in Catwoman's DLC may just be the cheapest, most deliberately frustrating one I've ever seen. It's impossible to see counter markers when there are so many different lights and pieces of robot wreckage about. Furthermore, how on earth are you meant to survive in that tiny little square? Any action sends you into an electrical grid and leads to your death. The only way I've succeeded is through trial and error - challenging players isn't accomplished by introducing a level that's completed through luck.

Took me 30 min first time I did it xD

The whip trip is a life savor, when I got to four squares I mainly countered, and rarely hit xD

At the end when she was like "that was eeeeeasy" I'm like ??? :oldyella:
Damian_Wayne

Postby crush8503 » Nov 26th, 2015, 10:17 pm

Harvey Bullock wrote:That freeflow encounter in Catwoman's DLC may just be the cheapest, most deliberately frustrating one I've ever seen. It's impossible to see counter markers when there are so many different lights and pieces of robot wreckage about. Furthermore, how on earth are you meant to survive in that tiny little square? Any action sends you into an electrical grid and leads to your death. The only way I've succeeded is through trial and error - challenging players isn't accomplished by introducing a level that's completed through luck.

I died several times on that one too. It's a real pain but the trick is to destroy the robots (only using Critical Strikes) before all the squares light up
crush8503

Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Postby TFDutchman » Nov 27th, 2015, 12:20 am

Once the final December DLC hits I'll be doing some binge playing through all the dlc content, but checking out all the stuff i downloaded this morning its all looking great. Thanks to the season pass this would have to be the most content-filled Batman game. I'm gonna end up sinking so much more time into this once all the content is available.

"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder."
TFDutchman

Favourite Villain: Two-Face

Postby DatBat » Nov 27th, 2015, 1:30 am

TFDutchman wrote:Once the final December DLC hits I'll be doing some binge playing through all the dlc content, but checking out all the stuff i downloaded this morning its all looking great. Thanks to the season pass this would have to be the most content-filled Batman game. I'm gonna end up sinking so much more time into this once all the content is available.

Ehhh, I don't want to start another "AK sucks" VS. "AK is great" war, but you won't really sink too much time into it. The Arkham Episodes are fun, but they last about twenty minutes. The Batmobile tracks get old after a playthrough or two, and you can't do anything Battle Mode related with the related batmobiles, so you have to clear out militia presence to drive them, so you can't replay the story with them. The challenge maps are okay, but the worst maps in City are better than the best maps in Knight. Almost every single map is set outside on some rooftop, and the ones that aren't are boring, forgettable locations (although the community challenge pack looks to add some good interior maps.). The only other thing we've gotten are skins, and there's only so much you can do with those. Season of Infamy in its intirety will likely last an hour or two, because they've been said to be the same length as other Most Wanted missions (then again they considered the hush thing a mission). Overall, playing through all the DLC will probably net you three or four hours, but for most of it you'll be kind of bored. I don't know, that's how it's been for me, and I feel that I've wasted my money, but if you can play it and feel that it's money well spent, then good for you. What's happened is that we all got too overhyped, expecting the game to be everything we wanted, and when it was far from that, I guess we were just really upset.
DatBat

Favourite Villain: Thanos

Postby Damian_Wayne » Nov 27th, 2015, 2:25 am

I can't tell you how many hours alone I've spent on AR challenges especially since last Monday. Character selection has me crying xD HARLEY IS SO CHALLENGING I LOVE IT
Damian_Wayne

Postby Mr_Weasel_ » Nov 27th, 2015, 2:38 am

Prisoner 4011 wrote:Catwoman's was awesome! Loved it! So good, and the LOOP Map.

I love the Loop but sometimes I find it frustrating when I drive on the ceiling and the controls invert. :P
Mr_Weasel_

Favourite Villain: Hush, ManBat, Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Heart Of Hush

Postby Jack out of Box » Nov 27th, 2015, 3:06 am

DatBat wrote:
TFDutchman wrote:Once the final December DLC hits I'll be doing some binge playing through all the dlc content, but checking out all the stuff i downloaded this morning its all looking great. Thanks to the season pass this would have to be the most content-filled Batman game. I'm gonna end up sinking so much more time into this once all the content is available.

Ehhh, I don't want to start another "AK sucks" VS. "AK is great" war, but you won't really sink too much time into it. The Arkham Episodes are fun, but they last about twenty minutes. The Batmobile tracks get old after a playthrough or two, and you can't do anything Battle Mode related with the related batmobiles, so you have to clear out militia presence to drive them, so you can't replay the story with them. The challenge maps are okay, but the worst maps in City are better than the best maps in Knight. Almost every single map is set outside on some rooftop, and the ones that aren't are boring, forgettable locations (although the community challenge pack looks to add some good interior maps.). The only other thing we've gotten are skins, and there's only so much you can do with those. Season of Infamy in its intirety will likely last an hour or two, because they've been said to be the same length as other Most Wanted missions (then again they considered the hush thing a mission). Overall, playing through all the DLC will probably net you three or four hours, but for most of it you'll be kind of bored. I don't know, that's how it's been for me, and I feel that I've wasted my money, but if you can play it and feel that it's money well spent, then good for you. What's happened is that we all got too overhyped, expecting the game to be everything we wanted, and when it was far from that, I guess we were just really upset.

In my opinion when Rocksteady gave a brief overview of what the season pass would contain to justify the price they made it seem like there would be some worthwhile story additions supplemented with skin and challenges.

I think a more honest assessment of what we have gotten so far is a majority of filler content such as skins, races and recycled campaign content in the form of AR challenges supplemented with short story segments that seem rushed and uninspired.
Most of their effort seems to be on new environments and aesthetics while new gameplay mechanics, additional story info or even new characters that aren't partial copies of batman or recycled from previous games are seemingly abandoned because the minimal amount of effort seems good enough.

Now that is a harsh assessment and I'm sure that the PC struggles have diverted a lot of effort and the content we have gotten does take a ton of effort I'm sure. Yet, much of the design philosophy seems to be focused in the wrong areas. Just look at the whole challenge map ordeal and you'll find a wealth of perplexing design decisions that just don't seem oriented on delivering a worthwhile player experience.

Now Rocksteady has made efforts to fix some misjudgments but the content that is supposed to be the main soul of season pass content has continued to underdeliver in my opinion.

Lets have a look at each so far

A Matter of Family
Great Location, lots of objectives but Batgirl plays much the same and the side missions seem present only to fill a useless video game checklist. the story is also insignificant, arbitrary and sets up no character arks. most of the content is there for an outstanding DLC but core elements are lacking to justify the whole's existence

Red Hood and Harley Quinn I've combined these because they are the only ones to offer actual new characters as well as new (yet very few) gameplay elements.
Harley quinn plays wonderfully, has great characterization and actuall story content that supplements the main story. Red hood sets up a narrative that is segmented with loading screens and doesn't really tell much of a story but has some unique thugs and fun encounters.

GCPD lockdown
Same character from Arkham City with batman hand-me-down gadgets. No set-up, warp from one location to another. disregards main story and even detracts from the ending (GCPD are inept, villains escape easily, no one cares much for the knightfall outcome). no new enemies. very short duration. very low stakes. this content doesn't offer anything to justify it's existence in my opinion. what is the point? to give nightwing something to do at least? to give the voice actors more to do? sure it offers something but it could have been better spent.

Flip of the coin This one is better than GCPD lockdown in my opinion but still suffers from the fact that there is just nothing there storywise to make it significant and much of it seems to take a dump on the ending of arkham knight and the cahracter of batman. No one cares about batman and actually seem to think it's better without him. villains escape like they can walk through walls. robin is essentially the same from City and has some gimicky sections to make use of one of his unique gadgets once.

Catwoman's revenge again, little effort shown to offer something new, most of the effort spent on new location, slight increase in meaningful story content. same enemies with a twist (albeit annoying) okay I'll be honest, I've only watched this one on youtube as I am just way too fatigued to play it

Now that doesn't mean that a lot of effort didn't go into what we are getting and I know fans will jump to defend the value of something they find enjoyment in.

My point is that it may be completely fine with some people to settle with the thought that "hey, at least we got something! That's better than nothing";
It's as equally valid to realize that getting something that arguably still carries some value doesn't make it wholly worthwhile or in this case, worth $40

I just cannot find myself being enthusiastic about SOI when the content that is supposed to carry the main weight of the seasons pass seems to say " was that good enough? we reused more than we added but because we added at least something that should make it okay right?"[/quote]
Jack out of Box

Favourite Villain: Mr. Freeze

Postby Bane » Nov 27th, 2015, 4:08 am

The secret to the final combat part for the Catwoman DLC was to avoid using takedowns and just go for an assault, the takedowns slow you down immensely and if you just stick to counters and punching, it's extremely easy. Just, make sure you don't get hit, or run into one of the lasers. If you keep your combo going, you should finish just after the outer layer of panels has lit up.
Bane

Favourite Villain: Bane
Favourite Graphic Novel: Knightfall

Postby TFDutchman » Nov 27th, 2015, 8:35 am

Personally, cause i decided to give some of the new ar maps a spin, the addition of character selection and hard mode (though hard mode doesn't appear to offer more stars for your GG ranking) is more than enough to sink hours into it. I mean I spent hours in a day on the iceberg lounge map in AC so having 8 characters available for both combat and predator maps, and a hard mode for those maps, puts the AR challenges on par with AC. And once you add the batmobile the amount of content is staggering.

"Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder."
TFDutchman

Favourite Villain: Two-Face

Postby HaHaHa » Nov 27th, 2015, 9:02 am

I enjoyed the two Arkham episodes this month but in hindsight as entertaining as they are, are they detrimental to the game as a whole?

Penguin and Riddler had some comical dialogue but have lost their ominous aura.

Penguin and Two-Face's escape bares no consequence or seriousness.

Questionable attitudes from the allies toward Batman and Alfred's death.
"don't you know I'm loco"
HaHaHa

PreviousNext

Return to News