Batman: Return to Arkham

The latest news regarding Batman: Arkham Knight and its related merchandise can be found right here!
The internet's source for Batman: Arkham news.

Re: Batman: Return to Arkham

Postby HaHaHa » Oct 18th, 2016, 8:47 pm

It's mixed. Some things look really good. Some things look really bad. I'm not going to get too precious about it. Each Arkham game has been distinctively different. Even with the originals, there's no visual consistency throughout the series. Batman's character model changes in each game. If this Virtuos's take on remastering Asylum & City then it is what it is.
"don't you know I'm loco"
HaHaHa

Postby BiGbAdBaTz » Oct 18th, 2016, 9:11 pm

from watching the launch trailer--the world in arkham city looks soooo much better
*woman sobbing on the floor*
Batman: QUIET!
BiGbAdBaTz

Favourite Villain: Harley Quinn

Postby M. Malone » Oct 18th, 2016, 10:51 pm

BiGbAdBaTz wrote:from watching the launch trailer--the world in arkham city looks soooo much better

Agreed.

-Edit-
I'm about twenty minutes into a walkthrough for B:AA. So far I'm not impressed. Batman's face looks ridiculous. Joker doesn't look good either, but not nearly as bad as Batman. The rest of the textures are great, but here's the thing... I played the game on PC which benefits from Nvidia PhysX hardware/software. It made a huge, HUGE difference to the feel of the game. Watching this new rendition just seems bland even with the better textures and lighting. I miss the paper flying around, tiles breaking when thugs hit the floor, cobwebs swaying inside the ventilation ducts, interactive fog and smoke effects... I'd sacrifice a little bit of texture and lighting quality any day to preserve those things which are much more immersive IMO.

I now understand why they didn't bother remastering this for PC... It wouldn't have been much of an upgrade.
10pm... I feel the rain coming down. My face feels wet, my mind the storm.
Flashing lights as people race to find shelter from the pour.
Moving silent, through the streets - They're Mine!.... They're mine...
M. Malone

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Postby calebthebeest » Oct 19th, 2016, 3:22 am

well, I just came back from beating asylum in one sitting. :lol: I'm impressed. The asylum itself is so rich and everything just looks overall cleaner and sharper than the 360 version that I'm used to. The only problem for me is a fair amount of stuttering. I'm playing version 1.1 and there's some confusion if that's the day one patch. Overall I recommend it and I'm happy with how it turned out, framerate issues not withstanding.
calebthebeest

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Postby Because I'm Batman » Oct 19th, 2016, 6:46 pm

Sad but true.
Everything looks good except Batman's face. Old gen face was way better
Because I'm Batman

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: Arkham Asylum

Postby M. Malone » Oct 19th, 2016, 11:58 pm

Welp, I've watched pretty much an entire playthrough of Asylum, and I've decided that overall, the improvements don't offset the negatives. I feel like most things are a bit too colorful now, and inconsistent colors within the same scene, causing it to appear more cartoonish than realistic. It's clearly not a case where they upped the texture resolution and added effects not previously possible, but they jacked with the color schemes of everything whether they needed to or not. The doors all look too shiny now, colors are too exaggerated, and the ambient brightness is way too intense. Takes away from the dark scariness.
M. Malone

Postby BiGbAdBaTz » Oct 20th, 2016, 8:41 pm

Someone thinks they found Jason's cell in the Asylum. Whaddaya think?

http://imgur.com/IxBB2dX

looks convincing to me
*woman sobbing on the floor*
Batman: QUIET!
BiGbAdBaTz

Favourite Villain: Harley Quinn

Postby Shadow of the Bat » Oct 21st, 2016, 5:19 am

BiGbAdBaTz wrote:Someone thinks they found Jason's cell in the Asylum. Whaddaya think?

http://imgur.com/IxBB2dX

looks convincing to me

Could be, i think Virtuos definitely added something to the Asylum for continuity purpose, maybe even by a Rocksteady request, did he say the exact location?
Shadow of the Bat

Favourite Villain: Owlman, Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman Gotica

Postby M. Malone » Oct 21st, 2016, 1:21 pm

^^ That is definitely new. As many times as I've played Asylum and combed over every detail, I would've remembered that.

I won't ever have the remastered edition because I'm a PC gamer, so I'd be interested to know where the location is so I can go into the original game and see what was there before.
M. Malone

Postby Remote Claw » Oct 21st, 2016, 4:43 pm

That cell is in the Penitentiary. In the Main Cell Block just before you confront Harley in the Guard Room.

And it doesn't seem to be new. I found it in my Xbox 360 version of the game.
Remote Claw

Postby M. Malone » Oct 21st, 2016, 9:20 pm

Really? Huh.
Some of the symbols I vaguely remember, like the Joker's smile. But I was thinking it was used in multiple places. But I can't believe no one has found this before! Maybe it's buried in an easter egg thread somewhere here on the forums.
M. Malone

Postby DisposableTool » Oct 21st, 2016, 9:23 pm

Remote Claw wrote:That cell is in the Penitentiary. In the Main Cell Block just before you confront Harley in the Guard Room.

And it doesn't seem to be new. I found it in my Xbox 360 version of the game.

He's right. It's not new at all, and seems to be used in multiple cells. But was it an intentional hint?

Look at the picture, at the wall behind Luke's character: http://arkhamcity.wikia.com/wiki/Luke_Oliver
Pardon for grammar and other mistakes, not my native language.
DisposableTool

Postby M. Malone » Oct 28th, 2016, 10:17 pm

Arkham Videos (Youtube Channel) has posted a comparison video of B:RTA that is a direct comparison between old gen/ new gen/ PC. I thought it was a lot better video than the official comparison video released.

I still feel like the color palette is a little too saturated in B:AA, but the sharper textures ARE much better looking. The difference between PS3 and PC is negligible, as the consoles were pretty on par with PCs at the time. In B:AC however, the difference between the PS3 and PC is huge. I guess that's because PC graphics could keep on advancing while the game was held back severely by the aging consoles. Almost all details look better in the new remaster, with the exception of faces. Faces still look best in the PC version with both games (except for Penguin, who looks fantastic in the remaster).

I have a theory on that though... Since the games were originally designed for Unreal 3 engine, characters may have been optimally designed to look good in THAT engine. Porting the same wire mesh/polygons over to Unreal 4 may have made them look a little wonky (Batman's lower face in particular) because of the way lighting is rendered in the new engine. Overall, the remaster is a definite improvement, as it should be. I'm a lot more impressed after seeing a more lengthy, detailed comparison than I was at first.
M. Malone

Postby Mani-Man » Oct 29th, 2016, 9:12 am

M. Malone wrote:Arkham Videos (Youtube Channel) has posted a comparison video of B:RTA that is a direct comparison between old gen/ new gen/ PC. I thought it was a lot better video than the official comparison video released.

I still feel like the color palette is a little too saturated in B:AA, but the sharper textures ARE much better looking. The difference between PS3 and PC is negligible, as the consoles were pretty on par with PCs at the time. In B:AC however, the difference between the PS3 and PC is huge. I guess that's because PC graphics could keep on advancing while the game was held back severely by the aging consoles. Almost all details look better in the new remaster, with the exception of faces. Faces still look best in the PC version with both games (except for Penguin, who looks fantastic in the remaster).

I have a theory on that though... Since the games were originally designed for Unreal 3 engine, characters may have been optimally designed to look good in THAT engine. Porting the same wire mesh/polygons over to Unreal 4 may have made them look a little wonky (Batman's lower face in particular) because of the way lighting is rendered in the new engine. Overall, the remaster is a definite improvement, as it should be. I'm a lot more impressed after seeing a more lengthy, detailed comparison than I was at first.

I saw that too, it looks far better then in the original comparison videos.
This is the first time where i thought about getting the remaster.
But yeah, games in general get fully optimized for PC (where hardware gets constant upgrades) and then get ported to the consoles, which makes pc games always the "better" looking versions.

The Pysx part also makes a big difference, smoke effects etc give the games this small detail that adds more atmosphere.
Mani-Man

Postby JKujo » Oct 30th, 2016, 11:57 pm

Bring on Arkham Origins! I have to believe that with a better Unreal Engine it could be far less glitchy. If I recall, Rocksteady pretty much maxed out U3 in AC. So by doubling the size of the world and other items the free flow combat seemed to be compromised. I also want it because it had a superior story IMHO.
JKujo

PreviousNext

Return to News