Batman: Return to Arkham

The latest news regarding Batman: Arkham Knight and its related merchandise can be found right here!
The internet's source for Batman: Arkham news.

Re: Batman: Return to Arkham

Postby M. Malone » Oct 31st, 2016, 1:30 pm

Mani-Man wrote:
M. Malone wrote:Arkham Videos (Youtube Channel) has posted a comparison video of B:RTA that is a direct comparison between old gen/ new gen/ PC. I thought it was a lot better video than the official comparison video released.

I still feel like the color palette is a little too saturated in B:AA, but the sharper textures ARE much better looking. The difference between PS3 and PC is negligible, as the consoles were pretty on par with PCs at the time. In B:AC however, the difference between the PS3 and PC is huge. I guess that's because PC graphics could keep on advancing while the game was held back severely by the aging consoles. Almost all details look better in the new remaster, with the exception of faces. Faces still look best in the PC version with both games (except for Penguin, who looks fantastic in the remaster).

I have a theory on that though... Since the games were originally designed for Unreal 3 engine, characters may have been optimally designed to look good in THAT engine. Porting the same wire mesh/polygons over to Unreal 4 may have made them look a little wonky (Batman's lower face in particular) because of the way lighting is rendered in the new engine. Overall, the remaster is a definite improvement, as it should be. I'm a lot more impressed after seeing a more lengthy, detailed comparison than I was at first.

I saw that too, it looks far better then in the original comparison videos.
This is the first time where i thought about getting the remaster.
But yeah, games in general get fully optimized for PC (where hardware gets constant upgrades) and then get ported to the consoles, which makes pc games always the "better" looking versions.

The Pysx part also makes a big difference, smoke effects etc give the games this small detail that adds more atmosphere.

Dude, Physx makes a HUUUGE difference, right?... I just didn't want to keep harping on it for fear of sounding like a PC elitist. It's really disappointing that the remasters still don't include those extra effects. All in all, I would rather have Physx over the remaster, but if we somehow had both on PC, that would be incredibly awesome.
10pm... I feel the rain coming down. My face feels wet, my mind the storm.
Flashing lights as people race to find shelter from the pour.
Moving silent, through the streets - They're Mine!.... They're mine...
M. Malone

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Postby BiGbAdBaTz » Nov 2nd, 2016, 4:33 pm

haven't picked up yet but im looking at screenshots and watching playthroughs and it actually looks really good. some of the faces are screwy but overall i'm very impressed. i look forward to playing through all the games chronologically.

if only i had origins remastered.............ill just grumble about that on my own
*woman sobbing on the floor*
Batman: QUIET!
BiGbAdBaTz

Favourite Villain: Harley Quinn

Postby M. Malone » Nov 29th, 2016, 5:30 pm

Okay, so I realize this post is mostly pointless without pics, but honestly I probably won't ever get around to posting them because I'm so busy. I'm currently writing this at work, so there's that too..

Anyways, just wanted to say that I spent a few hours tweaking the graphics on Arkham Asylum on PC using a graphics injector called GEMFX. It was originally designed specifically for Rome Total War II, but can be used with pretty much any DirectX based game. It also has SweetFX built into it.

I'm happy to say that I've managed to get the game looking amazing despite the fact that it's not a remaster. Obviously there aren't a lot of fancy effects like reflections and stuff that makes the actual remaster look so good, but I really feel that the overall atmosphere of the modified original is superior. Faces and character textures are every bit as crisp as the remaster, but without the ugly 'too smooth' look of the remaster.

I wish I could say the same about Arkham City. I can't seem to get that game looking good. While it was amazing for its time, it's hard to believe that it and Arkham Knight were developed on the same engine. Arkham City practically looks like a cartoon compared to Knight. I will still work on it, but so far I haven't found a good combination that improves B:AC the way I was able to improve B:AA.

-- Dec 6th, 2016, 10:10 pm --

Guys,

I wanted to update my previous post and actually show some pics. This is, of course, NOT Return to Arkham, but rather, it's the original on PC with heavily modified graphics (Enhanced textures and lighting). I thought maybe some of you would enjoy seeing these, as I am uploading them as "cross-eyed" view.

Right click on the image and select "view image" to see the whole thing. These are not side-by-side comparison images. They are images rendered from playing the game in stereo 3D. If you cross your eyes just right you can view the images in 3 dimensions which simulates what I see when playing the game. It takes a little practice, but once you get used to it, it's easy to do.

(The first image is from a cutscene which is not rendered in stereo 3D - the rest of them are.

I realize this thread is about Return to Arkham, but the forums are dead right now anyways, and if I put these in the PC section they will never get seen.

Anyways, there are plenty more where these came from - I can upload them in a different thread if anyone cares..
10pm... I feel the rain coming down. My face feels wet, my mind the storm.
Flashing lights as people race to find shelter from the pour.
Moving silent, through the streets - They're Mine!.... They're mine...
M. Malone

Favourite Villain: The Joker

Postby gwoodsii » Jan 4th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Forgive me if this has been asked before. But did they remove the wardens secret office. For the life of me I can't get it to open.
gwoodsii

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul

Postby JKujo » Jan 4th, 2017, 7:28 pm

Nope, it's there! Been there twice. Did you notice the newspapers in the Cell Block mentioning a "Hired Army Unit" to enter the city?
JKujo

Postby gwoodsii » Jan 5th, 2017, 5:28 am

JKujo wrote:Nope, it's there! Been there twice. Did you notice the newspapers in the Cell Block mentioning a "Hired Army Unit" to enter the city?

Ok that's strange I can not get it to open for some reason. And no I didn't notice that. That's pretty cool.
gwoodsii

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul

Postby BiGbAdBaTz » Jan 8th, 2017, 11:27 pm

Arkham city looks a lot better. The hair and faces are still off, but the environments are great.
*woman sobbing on the floor*
Batman: QUIET!
BiGbAdBaTz

Favourite Villain: Harley Quinn

Postby b99/bman » Jan 22nd, 2017, 12:13 am

Looking forward to picking this up sometime when I have nothing to play! never gets old playing threw AC!
b99/bman

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long halloween

Postby HaHaHa » Jan 29th, 2017, 11:32 am

I went back to playing Arkham City on PS3, and the original is definitely superior even on last gen in both aesthetic and performance.
"don't you know I'm loco"
HaHaHa

Previous

Return to News