ArkhamCity.co.uk's Batman DVD/Blu-Ray Give Away

We give away alot of free stuff! Head here to find out what.

Re: ArkhamCity.co.uk's Batman DVD/Blu-Ray Give Away

Postby Luke » Oct 12th, 2010, 8:13 am

I'm working on making this competition accessible to everyone.
I created ArkhamCity.co.uk on the 7th of August 2010 at 11:46 am. I left the site in amazing hands on the 29th of August 2012 at 8:07 pm. Thanks to everyone that I met in-between.
- Luke
Luke
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Postby lane121 » Oct 12th, 2010, 9:23 pm

Also, the last thing I want to do is come in here and ruin everyone's fun. If I win this one, I obviously wouldn't/won't enter any more of these Free Flow competitions. I figured that went without saying.

I'll post a video, too, I loaned my disc out but this weekend I'll get it back and show you how I got that score. Happy playing, everyone!
lane121

Postby Elliott » Oct 12th, 2010, 9:29 pm

Don't apologise for being the best in a competition that requires you to be the best Lane, I don't think any of the members harbour ill feelings towards you, and if they do, it's born of jealousy, nothing more.

You played fairly, and to be honest, I believe I'm correct in saying this, you've won fairly, demonstrating nothing but undeniable skill.
Elliott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby The A-Team » Oct 12th, 2010, 9:48 pm

lane121 wrote:Also, the last thing I want to do is come in here and ruin everyone's fun. If I win this one, I obviously wouldn't/won't enter any more of these Free Flow competitions. I figured that went without saying.

I'll post a video, too, I loaned my disc out but this weekend I'll get it back and show you how I got that score. Happy playing, everyone!

Who said anything about you? I was talking about the future competitions. If you noticed, I didn't even enter this(And who has anything to be jealous about?).

What I mean is, really, what's stopping someone from going to the person who's number one on all of the leaderboards and saying "Hey, this site is giving away free stuff to anyone who can get a high score!" and then the person comes here, wins the stuff and leaves until the next one.

And also, what I meant about the other stuff, is: Clearly, you are the best player on your console, so it's more like getting Michael Jordan to play against a little-league team, You know? That's why when some websites do contests and whatnot, they say things like "You have to be a member of the community for this amount of time, or have this amount of posts" to stop other people from coming in and winning.

I don't care that you've won, because you won. I'm just saying, I don't want this to be a forum where tons of people join just to win, then leave until there's another competition, because that's not fair to anyone here.

It's like that one site, PS3Trophies or whatever, was giving away a selection of prizes(Even an unreleased PS3 Move Bundle) to people who post on the topic. When you compare the posts from people who just posted to win the stuff compared to the people who were a part of the community and have been there for a long time, you'll see a huge difference.

I'm not saying you don't deserve to win(Again, I wasn't even talking about you, and if you think I was, then I apologize), because you clearly do. I was just saying what I said a few seconds ago in this post, I am just thinking of the community. Compete in future competitions, it's not up to me, and I'm not trying to discourage you, I don't have any ill feelings or anything against you, I'm just hoping this place doesn't become a hot-spot for one-time-members trying to win a free prize.

Again, if you thought I was talking about you, I apologize, because I was not. I should have been more clear from the beginning, and I apologize for that as well.
The A-Team

Postby Luke » Oct 12th, 2010, 10:00 pm

The A-Team wrote:
lane121 wrote:Also, the last thing I want to do is come in here and ruin everyone's fun. If I win this one, I obviously wouldn't/won't enter any more of these Free Flow competitions. I figured that went without saying.

Who said anything about you? I was talking about the future competitions. If you noticed, I didn't even enter this(And who has anything to be jealous about?).

What I mean is, really, what's stopping someone from going to the person who's number one on all of the leaderboards and saying "Hey, this site is giving away free stuff to anyone who can get a high score!" and then the person comes here, wins the stuff and leaves until the next one.

And also, what I meant about the other stuff, is: Clearly, you are the best player on your console, so it's more like getting Michael Jordan to play against a little-league team, You know? That's why when some websites do contests and whatnot, they say things like "You have to be a member of the community for this amount of time, or have this amount of posts" to stop other people from coming in and winning.

I don't care that you've won, because you won. I'm just saying, I don't want this to be a forum where tons of people join just to win, then leave until there's another competition, because that's not fair to anyone here.

It's like that one site, PS3Trophies or whatever, was giving away a selection of prizes(Even an unreleased PS3 Move Bundle) to people who post on the topic. When you compare the posts from people who just posted to win the stuff compared to the people who were a part of the community and have been there for a long time, you'll see a huge difference.

I'm not saying you don't deserve to win(Again, I wasn't even talking about you, and if you think I was, then I apologize), because you clearly do. I was just saying what I said a few seconds ago in this post, I am just thinking of the community. Compete in future competitions, it's not up to me, and I'm not trying to discourage you, I don't have any ill feelings or anything against you, I'm just hoping this place doesn't become a hot-spot for one-time-members trying to win a free prize.

Again, if you thought I was talking about you, I apologize, because I was not. I should have been more clear from the beginning, and I apologize for that as well.

I think he was referring to the lack of entries after his. I see absolutely no issue with someone joining to enter this competition. The community have 4 and soon to be five ways to win Batman: Arkham City. There have been a few members that have joined for the reasons you stated and have been a great contribution to the community.

I personally was generally impressed with the score more than anything else, I'm looking forward to seeing how it was done.

The next competition won't require you to play Batman: Arkham Asylum.
I created ArkhamCity.co.uk on the 7th of August 2010 at 11:46 am. I left the site in amazing hands on the 29th of August 2012 at 8:07 pm. Thanks to everyone that I met in-between.
- Luke
Luke
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Postby lane121 » Oct 13th, 2010, 12:01 am

Thanks for the kind words, Elliott, for the clarification, Luke, and for the thoughtful reply, A-Team.

I didn't take your comments (or any of the others) to be directed at me, A-Team, but I do appreciate your post explaining what you meant. With all the talk about restricting future competitions so that people didn't abuse the system, I just wanted to note that I wasn't here to enter the competition and then wait for the next one to try to win more... that would hardly be fair or in the spirit of the site. I didn't take those posts to imply that that's what people thought I was doing, I just thought I'd chime in.

If Luke is generous enough to supply prizes for visitors to his site (which is a really cool thing, btw, especially because this isn't a huge company giving away prizes to promote a product, but just a private webmaster putting up prizes for people on his site to enjoy), it would be a shame to see anyone try to take advantage of that. And I know that's what you all are trying to protect against, too, so I was pretty much just agreeing that that would be a bad thing.

I think the lines got crossed a little, but ultimately we're all saying the same thing. I've lurked here since the site started, and although it was this contest that got me to finally sign up, I do intend to contribute and make this my first stop for all my Arkham City needs, haha. There are some really cool, pleasant people here, so I'm happy to be here. Thanks!
lane121

Postby The A-Team » Oct 13th, 2010, 2:13 am

lane121 wrote:Thanks for the kind words, Elliott, for the clarification, Luke, and for the thoughtful reply, A-Team.

I didn't take your comments (or any of the others) to be directed at me, A-Team, but I do appreciate your post explaining what you meant. With all the talk about restricting future competitions so that people didn't abuse the system, I just wanted to note that I wasn't here to enter the competition and then wait for the next one to try to win more... that would hardly be fair or in the spirit of the site. I didn't take those posts to imply that that's what people thought I was doing, I just thought I'd chime in.

If Luke is generous enough to supply prizes for visitors to his site (which is a really cool thing, btw, especially because this isn't a huge company giving away prizes to promote a product, but just a private webmaster putting up prizes for people on his site to enjoy), it would be a shame to see anyone try to take advantage of that. And I know that's what you all are trying to protect against, too, so I was pretty much just agreeing that that would be a bad thing.

I think the lines got crossed a little, but ultimately we're all saying the same thing. I've lurked here since the site started, and although it was this contest that got me to finally sign up, I do intend to contribute and make this my first stop for all my Arkham City needs, haha. There are some really cool, pleasant people here, so I'm happy to be here. Thanks!

Agreed.

Again though, I just want to apologize because I've been thinking about it a little more and do agree that I may have come off as a bit of a douche bag. We've all been in a contest before and we have probably all experienced that one guy who comes in and is like "Awww that's not fair! I should have won!" and that's most likely how I came off.

I am glad you see what I was trying to say, because I was doing my best to make sure I didn't say the wrong thing and be as clear as I could, because I wasn't trying to offend anyone.

I don't want to pull the "bawwwww" card out on anyone, because like I said, this whole thing isn't up to me, it's up to Luke, it's just that this is the first forum I've been on in FOREVER that isn't filled with trolls, jerks, or people who never log on. It's pretty much always active and has an awesome community for something that hasn't been here that long. Let's not forget the moderators and Luke are nicer than hell(Compared to some mods that seem like they never want to do their job and act down on everyone else), and I just thought I would give a helpful tip to try and help out a little bit. Because like I said, you never know if someone will go out of there way just to come in here, win a bunch of stuff and then be like "Later, losers!"

Not saying you will, Lane, but I'm just saying we don't know if it'll happen or not with someone else, and I was just trying to, I guess you could say "increase awareness" about that possibility. Just want Luke to think about that, and whatever he decides is good, because it's his decision, not mine.

I will end the thread-hijacking now, I just wanted to explain myself and what I intended, because I didn't try to be rude and I think I owed you guys an explanation.
The A-Team

Winner!

Postby Luke » Oct 16th, 2010, 9:52 pm

Competition will close midnight tonight. This topic will be locked and I will create a separate one confirming the winner.

-- 17 Oct 11:02 --

Congratulations to the official winner of the ArkhamCity.co.uk Batman DVD/Blu-Ray Give Away; Lane121! A PM has been sent and as soon as I get your details I can despatch the movie, you should have it within a few days depending on the retailers shipping speed.

Thanks to all those that entered, and remember, their will be plenty of other opportunities to win prizes throughout the year and into the next. Every post you make adds another raffle ticket to the final draw to win a copy of Arkham City.

Stay tuned in the coming week for the next big competition!

-- 17 Oct 11:05 --

Topic locked. Continue discussion here.
- Luke
Luke
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Previous

Return to Competitions