Clipped Wings - An AK Short Story (Spoilers)

Write Arkhamverse's future. Read its history.

Clipped Wings - An AK Short Story (Spoilers)

Postby TheJester » Aug 3rd, 2015, 11:33 pm

Spoilers for the main story of Arkham Knight ahead; you have been warned!

-----

Somewhere, out there, the city cries. And I pathetically cry with her - wanting, praying to be rescued from this goddamn hell.

My breathing is slow, raspy with dehydration; each intake of air making the burlap sack placed over my head cling uncomfortably to my face. It helps to focus on it though - it's a pattern, a series of continuous events I can keep my mind on to distract myself from the pain, and the noises. Far too many noises. I breathe out, the warm air getting trapped inside the sack and causing me to feel faint again. The smell of this shit hole and my own damn body is nauseating enough as it is without heat amplifying them. I'd give anything to feel cold water run across my skin again, awakening my senses, keeping up my guard.

Time has no meaning in this place. I'd given up trying to figure out how long I'd been here; it's an endless cycle of paranoia, sleep, torture and false hope. He feels the need to casually update me though, as and when he visits. Sometimes its once a day. Sometimes every other week. One time it was two months, left to my own thoughts, slowly starving as I tried to shake off the flies I could feel trying to eat away at my wounds. It's in those times I cry out, in an attempt to keep my vocal cords working, hoping once and for all that he's done it.

That he's beaten, slowly but brutally, to a red, mushed pulp on the floor. Not over the top, no spectacle - just his fists and a lengthy amount of time. Then he'd stand up, his cowl splattered with that pasty WHAM's blood, and disappear into the shadows, leaving the body to the people of Gotham to do with as they please.

But that's all too good to be true. Time and time again, when I have at least the tiniest shred of hope that he's finally had the goddamn guts to do it, he shows up again, bringing a new 'toy' each time. He calls it discipline; that somehow in that disgusting warped mind of his, I'm his new sidekick, and I need to be taught how to behave.

There's only so many times you can fight back before you give up entirely. First, it was my body; my shattered ribs constricting my breathing, my broken ankle losing all feeling, preventing me from running away. And secondly, it was my mind; I don't have any intention to end up like that sick creep, yet with each passing moment, my grip on reality slowly loosens. I'll hear his cackling in the distance, or Barbara calling out my name. A scratch, a screech, a sniff. Noises become your worst enemy. I used my training to block everything out, to keep my hope from unravelling - but after six weeks, or so he says, of pure suffering, I caved in. One mentor's techniques forgotten, another's own sick methods replacing them. Slowly but surely, the burns, needles and crowbars become your identity.

Last time he came, he brought photographs. Pictures of dead bodies, grins plastered on their faces, tears rolling down their cheeks in their final moments of both joy and terror. The parents of the kindergarten class he'd murdered - the sick crime that had brought me here to hunt the animal down. He laughed his monstrous laugh as he flicked through, like looking through a fucking family album, detailing how each one died, who their kid was, how I couldn't save them. Jabbing me with a taser each time I tried to look away. A flightless bird trapped in a cage. I kept quiet.

Because that's the one thing that isn't broken - my voice. When he's gone, I can shout out, weep like a goddamn child, have conversations with myself to keep me going. I'd spent hours arguing out loud whether he was coming for me. If he'd truly given up on me. What if my training was for nothing? Did he not understand his methods were outdated? Was I just a failed experiment, a chance for him to relive the glory days with pretty boy Dick? I'm not like him. I'm not like any of them. POW Barb, I need you right now. You'd know what to say. You always knew what to say.

A creak in the distance. My body stiffens. Cockroaches scuttle along the floor, one crawling over my foot to run away from the noise I can't escape. The noises. Not the noises.

I hear him call out my name; his voice is hoarse, like he's been shouting over and over for me. I open my mouth but do a double take, trying to figure out if it's real or not. His voice grows nearer, the tiles shifting beneath his feet, echoing in the room, repeating itself over and over and over and over and over and ov- it's infuriating! It's coming nearer, a bat screeches somewhere, I don't know where, all the while getting nearer and my breathing increases, sweat dripping off my neck as I squirm to get my shackles free but the barbed wire keeps digging through my suit and piercing my skin, and I can't escape and this could be it!

I grunt, struggling free from the madness as I get the courage to speak.

"Hello? Is someone there?" I try to yell, but my voice cracks instead. Dammit Jason you idiot, don't be stupid. Think rationally, what would he do? Say nothing that gives you away.

"Batman? Is that you?"

Chatter-chatter-chatter.

No.

The teeth run across the floor.

"Batman's not coming to save you Jason."

Candlelight engulfs me as the bag is pulled from my head. His breath is on my neck. His voice is in my ear. All I can do is look ahead. Avoid his gaze. Think about what Bruce is doing right now.

"He'll come."
Last edited by TheJester on Aug 4th, 2015, 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ I'm not mad, I'm just differently sane. ~
Check out my latest fanfic, Clipped Wings, here!
TheJester

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Re: Clipped Wings - An AK Short Story (Spoilers)

Postby Harvey Bullock » Aug 3rd, 2015, 11:53 pm

Already said this before, but this is fantastic! The sense of rhythm, paranoia and atmosphere is just superb. Bravo. :adam:

Becky and BuNK did you cry
Harvey Bullock

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: DC: The New Frontier

Postby KeysToArkham » Aug 4th, 2015, 12:22 am

This is incredible. The detail, the description and the atmosphere are very vivid. I think you totally nailed Joker and Jason's characters, I've always enjoyed seeing these stories from other character's perspectives. Overall, fantastic job. :-D
Pyg is here to fix us all.

Batman:Arkham Knight is here!
KeysToArkham

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman: Year One

Postby TheJester » Aug 4th, 2015, 8:43 am

KeysToArkham wrote:This is incredible. The detail, the description and the atmosphere are very vivid. I think you totally nailed Joker and Jason's characters, I've always enjoyed seeing these stories from other character's perspectives. Overall, fantastic job. :-D

Thank you! I was actually really worried about getting Jason's characterisation right, so I mainly focussed on the atmosphere to make up for it :)
TheJester

Postby MaxSchreck » Aug 4th, 2015, 9:29 am

That was a very well written and intense story.
Don´t think I´ve ever seen so much professionalism in a fanfic! You really have a great writing style.

"You may have invented being Robin , but I perfected it ." - Damian Wayne
MaxSchreck

Postby TheJester » Aug 4th, 2015, 1:57 pm

MaxSchreck wrote:That was a very well written and intense story.
Don´t think I´ve ever seen so much professionalism in a fanfic! You really have a great writing style.

Aww thanks! It was good to get writing again :)

Updated the OP with some rewordings and spelling corrections.
TheJester

Postby Benji » Aug 4th, 2015, 5:26 pm

very chilling. tre bien

Storms come and go. The big fish eat the little fish and I keep on paddling.
Benji

Favourite Villain: Team Rocket
Favourite Graphic Novel: Long Halloween

Postby Dick » Aug 4th, 2015, 7:33 pm

Ummmm Zoe what gave you the right to make me feel emotionally distressed???
Dick

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: Under The Hood

Postby Benji » Aug 4th, 2015, 7:39 pm

Dick wrote:Ummmm Zoe what gave you the right to make me feel emotionally distressed???

lol its an early birthday present

zoe I think you should writ about scarecrows meeting

Storms come and go. The big fish eat the little fish and I keep on paddling.
Benji

Favourite Villain: Team Rocket

Postby TheJester » Aug 5th, 2015, 12:55 pm

Benji wrote:
Dick wrote:Ummmm Zoe what gave you the right to make me feel emotionally distressed???

lol its an early birthday present

What he said :oldyella: Sorry if it was too traumatic for you!

Benji wrote:zoe I think you should writ about scarecrows meeting

Hmm, I'll see what I can do. Never written Scarecrow, Two Face or Penguin before, should be interesting.
TheJester

Postby Batwoman » Aug 10th, 2015, 1:01 am

This was such a fantastic piece. You truly should consider becoming a writer, you are phenomenal at it. You've taught me a vauluable lesson for my own stories as well, which is " quality above all ". This story will be my reference for my own series from now on. Keep at it, you're killing it!
Thanks TheCat for the signature and the avatar !
Formerly known as Red Robin 1999
Batwoman

Favourite Villain: Doc Hurt and Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The long Halloween

Postby TheJester » Aug 10th, 2015, 10:48 am

Batwoman wrote:This was such a fantastic piece. You truly should consider becoming a writer, you are phenomenal at it. You've taught me a vauluable lesson for my own stories as well, which is " quality above all ". This story will be my reference for my own series from now on. Keep at it, you're killing it!

Aww thank you! I'm super glad I could inspire you! Writing is ultimately more of a hobby for me though :)
TheJester

Postby deadjunk » Mar 21st, 2016, 12:31 am

I always appreciate your writing Zoe. You are very talented at constructing atmosphere and each sentence flows seamlessly into the next. Keep up the good work! :)
I want to eat a pirate

viewtopic.php?f=85&t=25469
deadjunk

Favourite Villain: Two Face/Mr.Freeze

Postby TheJester » Mar 22nd, 2016, 12:15 am

deadjunk wrote:I always appreciate your writing Zoe. You are very talented at constructing atmosphere and each sentence flows seamlessly into the next. Keep up the good work! :)

Thanks Archie! It's been a while since I wrote it, but I'm still rather proud of how it came out :D
TheJester

Return to We Run Arkham