Arkhamverse comics chronology

From 'Road to Arkham', through the Arkham City mini-series, digital exclusives and 'Arkham Unhinged', discuss the Arkhamverse EU here.

Arkhamverse comics chronology

Postby Jalaguy » Aug 25th, 2013, 5:37 pm

Okay, so, in boredom I decided to work through the Arkhamverse comics released thus far and think about how they fit chronologically (I'm less concerned about actual dates and things).

Before I begin, a few notes:
  • I've excluded the 15-part 'Welcome to the Slough of Despond' Arkham Unhinged arc since it appears to take place over a very long time and won't fit neatly in any one place.
  • In the absence of other evidence, I assume comics to take place in publishing order.
  • AC = Arkham City miniseries, ACD = Arkham City digital exclusives, AU = Arkham Unhinged

The List

Batman: Arkham Origins - Initiation 'Rite of Passage' campaign challenge occurs
Batman: Arkham Origins occurs (2 years into Batman's career, he is an urban legend until this point.)
Batman: Arkham Origins - Blackgate occurs (3 months after Arkham Origins.)
AU17 – (2 years prior to Arkham City. All events and narration are in the past, so placed here rather with with 18/19.)
The Road to Arkham
Batman: Arkham Asylum occurs
AU38/39/40 – (1 year prior to Arkham City.)
AC1
ACD1 – (This could also fit just after AC2, as TYGER is still yet to appear in that issue.)
AC2
ACD2 – (The end of this story hints at Batman's plan to use the Lester Kurtz disguise.)
ACD3 – (Super criminals in holding cells, so post-AC2. Could be post-AC3, as Joker and Penguin were never in holding cells.)
AC3
AC4
AC5
ACD4 – (Arkham City has now been officially opened, TYGER aren't "gunning for" Batman yet)
ACD5
ACD6
ACD7
AU1/2/3 - (Again mentions that Arkham City is officially open.)
AU4/5/6 - (The night after the previous story. TYGER start pursuing Batman outside of Arkham City.)
AU35/36/37 – (Ends just as the game starts.)
Batman: Arkham City occurs
  • AU14/15/16 – (Catwoman is free and Batman is uncertain of Joker's health, so between Courthouse and Steel Mill.)
  • AU7/8/9 – (Batman sees the Joker, and Jokerz can access Bowery, so after Steel Mill and before bridge destruction during GCPD.)
  • AU11/12/13 – (Same placement as previous, since Penguins can access Industrial District.)
  • AU20/21/22
  • AU26/27/28 – (Again between Steel Mill and GCPD since Penguin thug accesses Industrial District. Just one guy, though, so perhaps more wiggle room. It's at least before Batman enters the Museum.)
  • AU29/30/31 – (Steel Mill-GCPD placement again, there's tons of Jokerz in Park Row.)
  • AU10 – (Hush is out and about, so after the Riddler takes the church, which is during the GCPD, and since Strange is alive, before the main story ends.)
  • AU41 – (As Protocol 10 begins, Batman is rescued by Catwoman.)
  • AU18/19 – (After Catwoman rescues Batman, before he goes to Wonder Tower.)
  • AU23/24/25 – (References exploded hotel wall from 18/19, so after that. Also after Hatter side mission.)
  • AU42/43 – (As Batman climbs Wonder Tower.)
AU 32/33/34 – (Bane, Riddler and Cash are all at the church, so after the "post-game".)
Batman: Arkham City – Harley Quinn’s Revenge occurs
AC End Game

So, there we are. The comics set during Arkham City do end up feeling a little weird, mostly piled up at the very beginning and end of the game. The choice to do stories set during Protocol Ten is especially odd, but the author has admitted to operating on the video game logic that there isn't anything stopping you doing whatever the hell you want during that part of the game...

The Black Mask backstory in AU #35 is almost certainly going to get decanonised by Arkham Origins, although the present day events can still stand.

If anyone has any thoughts, questions or suggestions, please post away!
Last edited by Jalaguy on Dec 13th, 2013, 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jalaguy

Re: Arkhamverse comics chronology

Postby Mr.Giggles » Sep 15th, 2013, 5:16 am

Awesome list! But you forgot Road to Arkham..
Let's get this party started!!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Sav01027
Mr.Giggles

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Postby CROD » Sep 19th, 2013, 8:13 pm

Awesome thanks for the list. Some of these were fantastic.
CROD
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Postby Jalaguy » Sep 24th, 2013, 5:32 pm

Mr.Giggles wrote:Awesome list! But you forgot Road to Arkham..

Huh?

It's right there, just above Arkham Asylum.
Jalaguy

Postby DIrishB » Nov 22nd, 2013, 6:56 am

Very cool.

As for the Slough of Despond arc, I believe it occurs over a month or two during summer (July - August, maybe Sept), between issues #2 and #3 of the 5 issue Arkham City comic mini. I haven't read it in awhile so I can't say for sure, but I'd done my own timeline and had it noted as occurring during July and August.

Also, doesn't End Game happen between Arkham City and Harley Quinn's Revenge? It's been awhile since I read it but I thought it acted as an interquel.
DIrishB

Postby Jalaguy » Nov 22nd, 2013, 9:53 am

DIrishB wrote:Very cool.

As for the Slough of Despond arc, I believe it occurs over a month or two during summer (July - August, maybe Sept), between issues #2 and #3 of the 5 issue Arkham City comic mini. I haven't read it in awhile so I can't say for sure, but I'd done my own timeline and had it noted as occurring during July and August.

Also, doesn't End Game happen between Arkham City and Harley Quinn's Revenge? It's been awhile since I read it but I thought it acted as an interquel.

Yeah, Slough of Despond seems to stretch all the way from when Arkham City's under construction up to it being fully functional with all the criminals released inside. There's perhaps a small continuity error in that Slough opens with Calendar Man in Arkham Asylum, but the second AC digital exclusive shows him being captured by TYGER at a point where people have already been moved out of the Asylum...

End Game flashes back to the events of HQR, so it's definitely set after it. The main plot of the Joker's 'find my body' challenge seems to take place very shortly after HQR ends (Batman was held captive for two days, and the comic says that the Joker's posthumous broadcast was two days after Batman re-entered the Steel Mill), and the framing sequence of Batman and Gordon preparing to cremate the Joker is after that.
Jalaguy

Postby DIrishB » Dec 13th, 2013, 1:39 am

Jalaguy wrote:

Yeah, Slough of Despond seems to stretch all the way from when Arkham City's under construction up to it being fully functional with all the criminals released inside. There's perhaps a small continuity error in that Slough opens with Calendar Man in Arkham Asylum, but the second AC digital exclusive shows him being captured by TYGER at a point where people have already been moved out of the Asylum...

End Game flashes back to the events of HQR, so it's definitely set after it. The main plot of the Joker's 'find my body' challenge seems to take place very shortly after HQR ends (Batman was held captive for two days, and the comic says that the Joker's posthumous broadcast was two days after Batman re-entered the Steel Mill), and the framing sequence of Batman and Gordon preparing to cremate the Joker is after that.

Ah, ok, well done. Would love to see you combine this with all the games (Origins, Asylum, and City), and the spin off handheld/mobile games (AC-Lockdown, AO-Blackgate).
DIrishB

Postby Jalaguy » Dec 13th, 2013, 12:35 pm

DIrishB wrote:
Jalaguy wrote:

Ah, ok, well done. Would love to see you combine this with all the games (Origins, Asylum, and City), and the spin off handheld/mobile games (AC-Lockdown, AO-Blackgate).

Well, most of the games are included on the list now, but I don't think Lockdown really works with the timeline established by the comics. It depicts a breakout from Arkham Asylum, and Mayor Sharp is said to be trying to push his 'Arkham City proposal through City Hall', whereas in the comics he had flat out declared martial law by the time Arkham City was announced. If it could go anywhere, I suppose it'd be towards the end of, or just after, the first issue of the Arkham City 5-issue series.

I've been toying with including all the various audio files too, though some of the City ones are hard to sort out into an order, and some of Asylum's have likely been decanonised by Origins.
Jalaguy

Postby DIrishB » Dec 16th, 2013, 6:21 am

Jalaguy wrote:Well, most of the games are included on the list now, but I don't think Lockdown really works with the timeline established by the comics. It depicts a breakout from Arkham Asylum, and Mayor Sharp is said to be trying to push his 'Arkham City proposal through City Hall', whereas in the comics he had flat out declared martial law by the time Arkham City was announced. If it could go anywhere, I suppose it'd be towards the end of, or just after, the first issue of the Arkham City 5-issue series.

I've been toying with including all the various audio files too, though some of the City ones are hard to sort out into an order, and some of Asylum's have likely been decanonised by Origins.

That's where I placed Lockdown on my personal timeline, after the first AC mini issue and the first AC digital issue. I'll have to go back and play it again to double check and compare the storyline details and see if I can't "explain away" the discrepancy you mentioned.
DIrishB

Postby EliParker » Dec 31st, 2013, 4:53 am

After rereading Batman: Arkham City The Comic Book, it doesn't flow well going into Batman Arkham City the game.

So the way I see it - Batman Arkham Origins Interactive Graphic Novel, The Road to Arkham, and End Game are canon to the overall Arkhamverse. Below is the list of what I think is canon to the overall Arkhamverse:

Batman Arkham Origins - Interactive Graphic Novel
Batman Arkham Origins (Bios, and audiotapes are canon, and DLC)
Batman Arkham Origins - Blackgate (Casefiles are canon)
Batman Arkham Asylum - The Road to Arkham
Batman Arkham Asylum (Bios are noncanon, but the audiotapes are canon)
Batman Arkham City (Bios, and audiotapes are canon, and DLC)
Batman Arkham City - End Game

I think having Arkham City the comic book uncanon is better in the long run as there are Arkham City stories in Batman Arkham City that fills the gap between Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, and it flows better.

What do members of the forum think?
EliParker

Postby gary2692 » May 24th, 2014, 12:22 pm

Needs updating. Add Cold, Cold Heart and Arkham Knight and Origins digital series.

Batman: Arkham Origins The Official Novelization. Read on "Our Arkhamverse" now!
gary2692

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Knight Returns

Postby RayReptile » Jul 31st, 2014, 4:25 pm

Long before I ever seen your post, I used to use this site to try and get everything in order....

http://thetimelinesite.com/timelines/26 ... s-timeline
YOUR RESIDENT MASTER OF DISGUISE
RayReptile

Favourite Villain: Clayface
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Return to Arkhamverse Comics