Batman: Arkham Unhinged is an ONGOING series!

From 'Road to Arkham', through the Arkham City mini-series, digital exclusives and 'Arkham Unhinged', discuss the Arkhamverse EU here.

Batman: Arkham Unhinged is an ONGOING series!

Postby dfridolfs » Nov 1st, 2011, 9:02 pm

It's long overdue I register and post. Been avidly reading the message boards for quite awhile during the whole buildup to Arkham City's release. And it's been fun hearing peoples thoughts and enthusiasm.

I'm writing the Arkham Unhinged digital comics that tie-in to the Arkham City game. Originally I helped co-script and co-write some of the previous Arkham City digital comics, helping out Paul Dini. That was extremely fun and due to its success and DC wanting to help further promote the game, they decided a regular series was in order.

So yes…Arkham Unhinged is an ongoing regular series digital comic. Released in 10 page chapters every week. It's something that will help tie-in with the game you're currently playing. A chance to flesh out back stories for characters or interesting things hinted at in the game that can be further explored.

The first two chapters are already available, and we hope you get into the reading habit of checking out Comixology every Wednesday for your next "fix". There'll be different artists, different characters explored, continued week-to-week. I'm excited to hear what people think as they read them and play the game.

To help promote it, I recently was a guest on my friend's video game podcast "Who Burned My Toast". They decided to devote an episode to the Arkham City game and it was a chance for me to discuss the Arkham Unhinged comic. You can check out that specific episode here:
http://whoburnedmytoast.blogspot.com/20 ... derek.html

And also, I have a deviant site where I update with what I'm working on in comics, whether it's on the art side of things or the writing side of things. You can check that out here:
http://dfridolfs.deviantart.com

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to hearing from you.

- Derek
dfridolfs

Favourite Villain: Mr.Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Mad Love

Re: Batman: Arkham Unhinged is an ONGOING series!

Postby Red_Robin » Nov 2nd, 2011, 9:08 am

Welcome to the forum, Derek!
I know that alot of us enjoyed the digital exclusives and the first two issues of Unhinged. It's good to finally get some information about the series; especially that it will be ongoing. Thanks for filling us in.

Looking forward to some Nightwing & Robin!
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: No Man's Land

Postby BuNKiTZ » Nov 2nd, 2011, 9:32 am

Ongoing series?? Cool! I might give it a try then I guess :P And wow this is pretty cool, someone from the comics business is a member here XD Oh and welcome to the forums! :D
BuNKiTZ

Favourite Villain: Mister Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman R.I.P.

Postby arkhamcityrocks » Nov 2nd, 2011, 10:23 am

So,you're the writer of the Arkham City Unhinged comics.Holy moly I can't believe I'm talking to a writer!
Heavy when he gets multiple kills in a row: WAAAAAA, WAAAAAAA, CRY SOME MORE!
arkhamcityrocks

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Postby dfridolfs » Nov 2nd, 2011, 6:25 pm

Red_Robin wrote:Looking forward to some Nightwing & Robin!

Definitely some stories coming up that have them in there.
dfridolfs

Postby Chob » Nov 2nd, 2011, 7:15 pm

arkhamcityrocks wrote:So,you're the writer of the Arkham City Unhinged comics.Holy moly I can't believe I'm talking to a writer!

Good to hear. Will Unhinged stick to backstory or will it get into stories post game? Also are you aware if there will be a collection in trade or hardcover?
Chob

Postby CROD » Nov 2nd, 2011, 9:05 pm

I cant wait to hear the story behind the Abramovici Twins. They were new characters so i didnt think much about them when i first but the game but after fighting them i found them really interesting.

I was actually thinking they should be in comics.
CROD
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Villain: Joker

Postby dfridolfs » Nov 2nd, 2011, 9:14 pm

Chob wrote:Will Unhinged stick to backstory or will it get into stories post game?

Both. The Arkhamverse that's been set up, going back to Arkham Asylum even, is pretty vast in scope. We'll be able to go back and see links to even the first game as well as the current one, with the idea that the stories will coincide with Arkham City as well as what happens after the game.

Obviously you want to give enough time for the people playing the game (and reading the comics) to not have things spoiled too early, even though there's a majority of people that have played through, beaten, and solved much of the game already. But as the stories progress, we'll have a chance to cover a lot of characters and further their stories from what are seen in the game.

Chob wrote:Also are you aware if there will be a collection in trade or hardcover?

As of now, it's digital. But as tends to happen, things can be collected together later, like what happened with the previous Arkham City mini-series and digital chapters. But it's up to DC what they'd like to do with it. Until then, every week should be a new chapter (chapter 3 out today).

-- Nov 2nd, 2011, 9:17 pm --

KHRIS wrote:I cant wait to hear the story behind the Abramovici Twins. They were new characters so i didnt think much about them when i first but the game but after fighting them i found them really interesting.

I was actually thinking they should be in comics.

Yep they get their own story coming up and it's pretty interesting the various characters that end up crossing their paths before they arrived in Arkham City.
dfridolfs

Postby ShadowRaven » Nov 2nd, 2011, 9:27 pm

I don't support piracy, but it just amazes me how readily the Arkham comics have all been leaked to the net. Having said that, I bought the digital exclusives and I just might buy these. What do you guys think of them?
ShadowRaven

Postby CROD » Nov 2nd, 2011, 9:30 pm

Didn't know the third one was out yet. I'm on it!

Here are all three on the DC site if you havent read them yet https://read.dccomics.com/comixology/#/series/7192

*Just finished reading the third issue. See isn't it nice to have a Batman and Catowman story without them going at it like teenagers every issue? Take note Judd Winick.
CROD
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby xhunter94s » Nov 3rd, 2011, 12:08 am

Will they ever conclude the events after Arkham City or will it jsut chronicle events in Arkham?
xhunter94s

Favourite Villain: Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: Superman: Red Son

Postby Thomas Armbruster » Nov 3rd, 2011, 4:01 am

I thoroughly enjoyed the first three chapters of this series, despite the fact that I am usually not a fan of tie-ins and read them all with a huge chip on my shoulder. Hope to see better work coming from this direction in the near future.

It appears that it has still not been established precisely how long the Arkham Unhinged chapters will run (although if no stopping point has been publicly specified or decided on yet by DC, it is completely understandable). I believe that, like all other tie-ins, this series will not stretch for long (despite being an ongoing title at present), but perhaps it will play out longer than the first digital comics.

-- Nov 3rd, 2011, 4:09 am --

Yep they get their own story coming up and it's pretty interesting the various characters that end up crossing their paths before they arrived in Arkham City.

As a matter of personal interest (since the subject of henchmen and minor characters has come up), will you be pursuing any further elaboration of Hugo Strange and his TYGER security force? I had originally hoped to see more backstory given to these very promising characters, but apart from one digital exclusive with an observer examination of TYGER's recruitment process, they have simply been used as background fodder who get flattened by the main characters along the way to a bigger story. I should think that Strange's guards would receive much more in-depth limelight instead of being treated as unintelligent grunts; after all such men were trained for months to counteract Batman's every move. This would seemingly make them an incredibly powerful asset against the Dark Knight, and they should accordingly be presented as unusually formidable and skilled enemies.
Last edited by Thomas Armbruster on Nov 3rd, 2011, 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Close Attention to little things is one secret of success."
Thomas Armbruster

Favourite Villain: Killer Moth

Postby arkhamcitydood » Nov 3rd, 2011, 4:12 am

Sweet. A writer on the site. I haven't bought these yet. I'll do it right now maybe.
arkhamcitydood

Favourite Villain: Penguin

Postby dfridolfs » Nov 3rd, 2011, 5:43 am

xhunter94s wrote:Will they ever conclude the events after Arkham City or will it jsut chronicle events in Arkham?

The plan is for both, although not right away. Only to give time for the audience to experience the game before starting to get into spoiler territory with what happens with certain characters. But yes, stories should be taking place during the game as well as after the main storyline of the game ends.

Thomas Armbruster wrote:It appears that it has still not been established precisely how long the Arkham Unhinged chapters will run (although if no stopping point has been publicly specified or decided on yet by DC, it is completely understandable). I believe that, like all other tie-ins, this series will not stretch for long (despite being an ongoing title at present), but perhaps it will play out longer than the first digital comics.

Just like with most ongoing comic series, there is no stated end point. That's what "mini-series" and "limited series" are for. They're definitely planning on having this run for a long time as long as the readers continue to support it with as much enthusiasm as they've done with the previous comics.

Thomas Armbruster wrote:As a matter of personal interest (since the subject of henchmen and minor characters has come up), will you be pursuing any further elaboration of Hugo Strange and his TYGER security force?

There will be stories coming up with Hugo and the Tygers. Of course there is still a lot of ground to cover with other characters in the game that weren't as featured in the mini-series or previous digital series. But the plan is to leave no stone unturned and cover as many different facets and people in the game as possible. Thanks for the interest!
dfridolfs

Postby TheNatureRoy » Nov 3rd, 2011, 4:27 pm

dfridolfs wrote:Obviously you want to give enough time for the people playing the game (and reading the comics) to not have things spoiled too early, even though there's a majority of people that have played through, beaten, and solved much of the game already.

That's much appreciated -- especially by us poor PC gamers who are still waiting for the game to even be released and fighting an increasingly desperate battle to avoid massive spoilers.
TheNatureRoy

Next

Return to Arkhamverse Comics