Batman: Arkham Unhinged is an ONGOING series!

From 'Road to Arkham', through the Arkham City mini-series, digital exclusives and 'Arkham Unhinged', discuss the Arkhamverse EU here.

Re: Batman: Arkham Unhinged is an ONGOING series!

Postby pryko » Dec 3rd, 2012, 7:12 pm

What's everybody's thoughts on this then now? The new writer is currently at issue 10 of the first arc of the post-Fridolfs era with Issue 11 due out tomorrow.

I have to be honest, I'm gonna finish this story arc, and then the next one will have to look really good in the preview if its the same writer for me to pick it up. I'm really not enjoying this like I used to do. Is there anyway we can all get Derek Fridolfs back on writing duties?
Credit to Maultest for my signature
pryko

Favourite Villain: Hush
Favourite Graphic Novel: Knightfall

Postby Red_Robin » Dec 3rd, 2012, 8:04 pm

I dropped it a while ago. After issue four of nothing happening, I couldn't really be bothered if I'm honest. At least Derek's last arc was pretty good.
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: No Man's Land

Postby pryko » Dec 3rd, 2012, 8:37 pm

I couldn't bring myself to drop it part way through the story, but a jump from 10+ issues in a story arc from 3 is a little strange. The whole Arkham Unhinged concept in my opinion was short stories that relate to the Arkham City game. Not a 10+ issue story arc that is based on something that happens before Arkham City is operational, based on a character that isn't in the game.

Like I said in my last post, unless the writer changes or the next Arc looks very interesting, I'll be dropping Arkham Unhinged, which is very disappointing
pryko

Postby Thomas Armbruster » Dec 5th, 2012, 1:41 am

Killa_Moff wrote:Do any villains who DO NOT appear in AC appear in Unhinged?

The Ventriloquist? The Carpenter?
"Close Attention to little things is one secret of success."
Thomas Armbruster

Favourite Villain: Killer Moth

Postby Jalaguy » Dec 5th, 2012, 10:40 am

With regards to the current storyline, it is nice to have some mystery and an original villain, and it makes a change from the Joker and Penguin stuff, but the pacing is completely wrong for an 8-pages-a-week digital comic. Read all in one go, as a trade paperback, this story, I think, would feel right, but as it is, the pace is far too slow for how it's being released. With short digital issues, each one needs to be punchy and keep your attention, otherwise, as previous replies here evidence, people lose interest...
Jalaguy

Postby The man who laughs » Dec 30th, 2012, 12:50 pm

just read issue 9 with the mad hatter and i thought it was really good 8-)
The Cal-man1 will return .......
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
The man who laughs

Favourite Villain: Joker,riddler,twofac
Favourite Graphic Novel: Not TDKSA

Postby Batmobile » Jan 9th, 2013, 6:05 am

I guess Arkhan Unhinged is taking a haitus. The end of #58 states The End... For Now Look for Batman: Arkham Unhinged to resume in the near future. Upsetting. Hope it's not gone too long.
It's the car right, chicks love the car.
Batmobile

Favourite Villain: Joker/Riddler

Postby pryko » Jan 10th, 2013, 1:38 pm

I think this series has gone downhill ever since Derek Fridolfs finished with it. Which is a real shame. I really enjoyed the series during his full reign with it, but this last story arc was just completely different to anything done before in Arkham Unhinged, and I just didn't think it fit in. It didn't really have anything to do with the game, and it switched up from a 3-comic series to a 15-comic series. Massively let-down by it, and if it weren't taking a hiatus, but the current writer had stayed on, I probbaly wouldn't carry on picking it up anyway
pryko

Postby Red_Robin » Jan 10th, 2013, 2:14 pm

Yeah. Dropped it about four issues after the writer change. Whilst Derek was on the book I actually looked forward to it more than the regular DC Comics (New52, blugh)!
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Graphic Novel: No Man's Land

Postby Jalaguy » Jan 10th, 2013, 3:11 pm

I think Karen Traviss' run has basically been suffering from writing-for-the-trade-it is: stretching out a story way, way longer than it needs to be so it fills a single trade paperback. And I admit that read all in one go in the TPB format that this is clearly structured for, this would probably be a okay-ish mystery story. But the pacing is totally wrong for an eight-pages-at-a-time digital exclusive. Each issue is short, so they all need to be snappy and exciting, but we've ended up with whole issues where almost nothing happens. Traviss is a good writer, but Fridolfs understood how to write for this medium way, way better.
Jalaguy

Postby dfridolfs » Mar 10th, 2013, 4:36 am

To those still interested, I'm continuing to provide behind-the-scenes commentary for each print issue of Arkham Unhinged I worked on, over on my blog. Just a few more print issues to go before my run completes. And of course, other posts on what I've been working on. Always thankful for the eyes and comments.

http://dfridolfs.blogspot.com

Thanks!

- Derek
dfridolfs

Favourite Villain: Mr.Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Mad Love

Postby conradoaccorsi » Mar 10th, 2013, 2:57 pm

dfridolfs wrote:To those still interested, I'm continuing to provide behind-the-scenes commentary for each print issue of Arkham Unhinged I worked on, over on my blog. Just a few more print issues to go before my run completes. And of course, other posts on what I've been working on. Always thankful for the eyes and comments.

http://dfridolfs.blogspot.com

Thanks!

- Derek

Oh how I wished you continued to write,your stories were the best.
Imagine all the people
Thanks Dr. Arrow for sig and avatar
conradoaccorsi

Favourite Villain: Dr. Hurt/Ra's
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman R.I.P.

Postby King Tut » Mar 13th, 2013, 8:43 am

I slowly started drifting away from this series around issue 20, which is unlike me, since I usually gobble up anything remotely Arkhamverse-related. But now that I'm starting another playthrough of Arkham City (just finished my 3rd go at Arkham Asylum), I going to start to re-read the ones that I've got, and get hold of all the ones that I don't.

By the way, does anyone know if there will be hardcover releases of all the other issues?
He's Batman alright, who else in this present day dynasty could be that square?
King Tut

Postby Harvey Bullock » Mar 25th, 2013, 4:35 pm

dfridolfs wrote:To those still interested, I'm continuing to provide behind-the-scenes commentary for each print issue of Arkham Unhinged I worked on, over on my blog. Just a few more print issues to go before my run completes. And of course, other posts on what I've been working on. Always thankful for the eyes and comments.

http://dfridolfs.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks!

- Derek

Great blog you have their Derek!

That part with Alfred in SOG is one of my favourites of the series too. :adam:

Got any future projects planned? I'd love to see you and Nguyen do another series! :alfred:
Harvey Bullock

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: DC: The New Frontier

Postby The Oracle » Mar 25th, 2013, 6:26 pm

http://dfridolfs.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks!

- Derek

You did a great job with Arkham Unhinged and nice blog, didn't realize you did commentary. Keep up the great work. :adam:
The Oracle

Favourite Graphic Novel: Batwoman: Elegy

PreviousNext

Return to Arkhamverse Comics