Shadow of Mordor - Batman Combat copy?

The place to discuss all your favourite non-Arkhamverse Batman games! Injustice! LEGO Batman! Dark Tomorrow?

Shadow of Mordor - Batman Combat copy?

Postby Joker's Nightmare » Mar 5th, 2014, 12:37 pm

I hope I'm not spamming this forum. But I thought to share with you guys. Mods, please delete if you think this post is not right! :)

You guys may know this game 'Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor' developing by Monolith productions and publisher WB entertainment. The story set between the events of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. I watched 8 minutes of game play and it looks like they copied Batman Arkham games combat style. Combo multipliers, XP, special take downs and detective vision etc. They named them differently but it reminds me Bat games....Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to buy this game when it comes in August.

Joker's Nightmare

Favourite Villain: Joker, Deathstroke
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Re: Shadow of Mordor - Batman Combat copy?

Postby batwayne007 » Mar 6th, 2014, 4:01 am

100th post. :adam: I am now a true member of this site.
Batman: DO YOU WANNA GET NUTS??!! COME ON!! let's get nuts.
Joker: Tell me something my friend. Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?
Batman: What?
batwayne007
Banned
Banned

Favourite Villain: MISTAH FREEEZE
Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Knight Returns

Postby CrashXUae » May 31st, 2014, 10:48 am

First thing I noticed, the game has the exact same HUD as the Assassins Creed games, as well as the same parkour system! In my opinion the combat system is also inspired from the Assassins Creed franchise. In general, the game is heavily inspired from Assassins Creed, and even the "Wrath Vision" looks like the eagle vision! Non the less, I think I'll buy it. It looks cool!
"I have taken it upon myself to walk a path where no one else chooses to. I draw strength from the spirits of the dead." -The Undertaker
CrashXUae

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Postby johnsyggel » May 31st, 2014, 12:52 pm

CrashXUae wrote:First thing I noticed, the game has the exact same HUD as the Assassins Creed games, as well as the same parkour system! In my opinion the combat system is also inspired from the Assassins Creed franchise. In general, the game is heavily inspired from Assassins Creed, and even the "Wrath Vision" looks like the eagle vision! Non the less, I think I'll buy it. It looks cool!

Even the Arkham games are somewhat inspired by Assassin's Creed mechanics.
When the mugger or the thief stops to think twice,that is fear.That is what I am.Tonight will not be my end,but it will be theirs!
johnsyggel

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The killing joke

Postby Joker's Nightmare » Oct 10th, 2014, 12:08 pm

Like I expected few months ago, many people are saying this game reminds Arkham games. But this game is an awesome game and another masterpiece published by WB and developed by Monolith. The combat is really fluent and good story line. Like I said this game reminds me a lot of Arkham games and Prince of Persia. If anyone interested in watching walkthrough, I'm doing one. Here is the playlist: :adam:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... wSZcEj1tEr

I haven't finished the game completely but facing and fighting the first minion of Sauron is satisfying. Here is the video.

Joker's Nightmare

Favourite Villain: Joker, Deathstroke
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Postby Peel » Oct 24th, 2014, 5:07 pm

The game feels more like a ripoff of Assassins Creed than the Arkham games; the aforementioned hubs are all the same, the climbing mechanics are very similar and even the extra-sensory vision is very similar. Hell the whole, "climbing a tower to assume control over an area, and use it as a way to move across the map" was even done in AC.

And all that is just from me watching thirty seconds of a friend's playthrough of the game. Someone should sue those frauds.
Peel

Favourite Villain: Black Adam
Favourite Graphic Novel: Forever Evil

Postby kain9998 » Feb 9th, 2015, 3:28 pm

Shadow of Mordor does copy mechanics straight from Arkham and Assassins Creed, however credit simply must be given where credit is due!

Monolith may have hardcore copied elements from these games, but they also created the Nemesis System - a completely groundbreaking mechanic in the game that SHOULD have failed. Monolith's team is smaller than most, and yet somehow the Nemesis system worked upon launch without the need for a ton of post-launch patches. The fact alone that they were able to create something so very next-gen (well, current-gen now), and create it so very well is astounding. It had basically everything going against it, with Monolith being a smaller team, AND the fact that Shadow of Mordor was actually there first ever third person adventure game. That fact alone is what makes this game sheer brilliance.

I've been playing the game for months now and still the Nemesis System throws new villains my way, each with their own unique name, appearance, behavior, strengths and weaknesses. It's this mechanic alone that makes this gem of a game worth the buy, as it adds endless hours of entertainment. I am probably one of SoM's biggest fans, but I'll be the first to admit that it does straight up copy some mechanics. However, it can't be bashed for what it copies without being praised for what it invents.
Feel free to check out my site, Spider-Verse RP (A Spider-Man RPG!)

http://ultimatespiderman.boardhost.com/index.php
kain9998

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: Long Halloween

Return to Non-Arkhamverse Games