Batman - A Telltale Game

The place to discuss all your favourite non-Arkhamverse Batman games! Injustice! LEGO Batman! Dark Tomorrow?

Re: Batman - A Telltale Game

Postby Red leader » Aug 2nd, 2016, 11:38 pm

MaxSchreck wrote:
I hate the idea that Bruce is just a mask and this game is on my side.

Me, too. But does the game really disagree? I think Bruce at one point claimed Batman is who he really is. Was he proven wrong. Also about another character in episode 1:

Spoiler: show
I thought Telltales take on Penguin was weird. Definately unique and enjoyable, but it´ll take time getting used to "Oz".

A character claiming they are a certain way does not actually mean the story is agreeing. The idea seems to be that he wants to have Batman as his true face and is letting it take over. The scene when Alfie asks him if he is doing this for Batman's sake or for that little boy who lost his parents is telling of that fact. Especially if you choose the
take the tickets option rather then tearing them
. Batman will do stuff like breaking that sniper's arm but Bruce is the one who is trying to take control and do stuff like funding Harv. It is early days Batman after all, he is still trying to figure out who he is. I really love that. So many versions know who they are and everything prior to coming how save for the "I shall become a Bat" moment but here he still has not really gotten a stance on the kind of man he wants to be. it is up to the player to ignore Alfie's points or listen to them.
"I'm afraid that when I walk through those asylum gates, when I walk into arkham and the doors close behind me, It'll be just like coming home"
Bruce Wayne, arkham asylum ASHOSE.
Red leader

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: Arkham asylum ashose

Postby MaxSchreck » Aug 3rd, 2016, 3:48 pm

A character claiming they are a certain way does not actually mean the story is agreeing.

I know. Its good that they leave that decision to the player.

"You may have invented being Robin , but I perfected it ." - Damian Wayne
MaxSchreck

Postby kain9998 » Aug 7th, 2016, 7:03 pm

Episode one was awesome, and was exactly what I was hoping for.

A ton of Bruce and Harvey, which I was really hoping we would get. I wanted a lot of Bruce Wayne in general, because all of the games focus on Batman. Now, we're actually able to play Bruce Wayne and make important decisions as him. We get to make friends and enemies outside of the suit in the way we want to, and that is all I hoped for. I love the Batman sequences as well, but those feel very Arkham Origins and so far not entirely something we haven't seen before. I love it all, but the Bruce Wayne segments definitely stood out to me. I love being able to interact with this world outside of the vigilante side of things.
Feel free to check out my site, Spider-Verse RP (A Spider-Man RPG!)

http://ultimatespiderman.boardhost.com/index.php
kain9998

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow
Favourite Graphic Novel: Long Halloween

Postby johnsyggel » Aug 8th, 2016, 3:01 pm

I loved Episode 1(not The Phantom Menace :oldyella: )!!We got to play as Bruce,who is way more interesting a character than Batman and the decisions we make can actually define the course of the story,your friends and enemies etc.I wonder,though: Do our decisions make a difference in the rest of the episodes,too?
When the mugger or the thief stops to think twice,that is fear.That is what I am.Tonight will not be my end,but it will be theirs!
johnsyggel

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The killing joke

Postby arkhamcitydood » Aug 8th, 2016, 3:51 pm

johnsyggel wrote:I loved Episode 1(not The Phantom Menace :oldyella: )!!We got to play as Bruce,who is way more interesting a character than Batman and the decisions we make can actually define the course of the story,your friends and enemies etc.I wonder,though: Do our decisions make a difference in the rest of the episodes,too?

Kinda. Not really. In the end, none of your choices matter, but they somewhat do throughout the game. You'll end up with the same ending as everyone else
arkhamcitydood

Favourite Villain: Penguin

Postby gary2692 » Aug 8th, 2016, 5:53 pm

arkhamcitydood wrote:
johnsyggel wrote:I loved Episode 1(not The Phantom Menace :oldyella: )!!We got to play as Bruce,who is way more interesting a character than Batman and the decisions we make can actually define the course of the story,your friends and enemies etc.I wonder,though: Do our decisions make a difference in the rest of the episodes,too?

Kinda. Not really. In the end, none of your choices matter, but they somewhat do throughout the game. You'll end up with the same ending as everyone else

Well, they might do what they did in the Walking Dead Season 2 and have multiple different endings which are triggered depending on the choices you made. So, your choices throughout each episode do matter. For example,
you can chose to cut off Lee's hand in the Walking Dead episode 4 and then you can see him without a hand in episode 5.

Batman: Arkham Origins The Official Novelization. Read on "Our Arkhamverse" now!
gary2692

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Knight Returns

Postby pukipuki » Aug 14th, 2016, 6:31 am

I am playing on two profiles. One is my actual playthrough. And one where Batman/Bruce is a pervert dick. Meaning he is at his worst behavior other than when he talks to girls. And it is hilarious.
"I'm Batman"- Batman
pukipuki

Favourite Villain: TWO-FACE
Favourite Graphic Novel: The long hallowing

Postby TheJester » Aug 18th, 2016, 1:50 am

I've yet to post my thoughts on the first episode, so here goes - wow.

This is honestly some of the best Batman media we've gotten in years. All of the performances are solid, the story so far is gripping, and Troy Baker may be up there with Christian Bale for me as best Bruce Wayne portrayal. The focus on Bruce is actually the game's strong point, making us empathise with him without the need to retell his origin story. Heck, the depiction of the Waynes' deaths is perhaps my favourite EVER in any medium with just how clever it is -

The relations between all the characters are fantastic, moreso than I expected actually. The conversation between Bruce and Selina was fantastic, they couldn't have handled that scene better. Oh, and I'm digging their version of Penguin - he's basically a love child of Nolan North and Robin Lord Taylor's portrayals and I can totally get behind that. You can already see some of Big Bad Harv peeking through too, I don't think there's any way they WON'T do a Two-Face origin in this game later on, so it's nice to see the seeds already being planted. Falcone is also a great villain; I'm a sucker for crime lord storylines so this is right up my alley, particularly with the final twist we got. Interesting to see, considering -
In most comic storylines where the Waynes are accused of having criminal ties, they always turn out to be innocent. Nice to see Telltale actually take the leap and explore how the Waynes having a murky past affects Bruce's perceptions of what he's been fighting for.

I really like the detective/combat system where you make links between evidence/objects in the environment, I'm hoping in future episodes we'll get to customise how we take out enemies more, as that was a lot of fun.

I also can't fault the atmosphere; when watching from the thugs' perspectives, it's truly terrifying seeing Batman come after you -

Overall, brilliant episode and I'm eager to see where the series takes us next. I'm playing my Batman as more of a good guy, with a few moments of brutality now and then to show he's still in his early days. My choices for anyone wondering were -

- Let Harvey join the conversation with Falcone.
- Let Vicki take a quote.
- Break the thug's arm.
- Keep the tickets.
- Give the data to Gordon.
- Arrest Falcone. (originally chose 'Brutalise' thinking he'd just be roughed up a bit, not have a spike shoved through him, hence I rectified that immediately :oldyella:)
~ I'm not mad, I'm just differently sane. ~
Check out my latest fanfic, Clipped Wings, here!
TheJester

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Postby MaxSchreck » Sep 14th, 2016, 12:08 pm

Seems like more people roleplay Bruce in a heroic way than I thought. Maybe I'll change my playing style after all and have Bruce...

tell Selina he is Batman for the thrills and
destroy the tickets (Alltough I'll probably feel really bad after that.)

Update:

I’m not sure if that is the original Blockbuster, Mark Desmond, or his super-smart Nightwing-nemesis brother Roland, but it’s just the first of two new characters confirmed for the second episode as Joe Chill also makes an appearance (presumably in a flashback sequence).

Nice, I wasn´t expecting Blockbuster, but he fits pretty well into the time where Bruce was just starting as Batman. I´ve got to take notes, Telltale makes me want to write something for a tabletop rpg set in a Batman Universe similar to theirs, but I just can´t get it finished :oldyella:

Also Selina on the run...
She said this is what might happen to her when she dissapoints her employer. Who probably was Oz, in the Unmasked video they revealed that the thugs hunting her down are his men. They even have a similar haircut. Duckface from the new screenshots works for him too I guess.

MaxSchreck

Postby JordanT4021 » Sep 24th, 2016, 10:15 pm

Really Really impressed by both Episodes 1 and 2. This looks like its going to be a great story with an exciting new spin on the Batman mythos. Episode 2 spiralled out of control into pure insanity and I really need to play Episode 3 as soon as possible.

However, I feel like the choice to save Selina or Harvey is the first real choice thats going to affect the narrative of the game. The rest of the decisions seem pretty small scale to me.
I'm curious about everyone's reaction to Penguin. Do you guys like the new, more unstable Penguin? I like him but I also kind of like that weasel-like nature he has from other mediums where he always bows out to anyone who appears superior to him, only to strike when they think he isn't a threat.
Also, I like the new direction for Thomas and Martha Wayne. They're always made out to be saints in Gotham so its a cool change up.
JordanT4021

Favourite Villain: Poison Ivy
Favourite Graphic Novel: Wonder Woman: Blood

Postby MaxSchreck » Sep 24th, 2016, 11:34 pm

JordanT4021 wrote:Really Really impressed by both Episodes 1 and 2. This looks like its going to be a great story with an exciting new spin on the Batman mythos. Episode 2 spiralled out of control into pure insanity and I really need to play Episode 3 as soon as possible.

However, I feel like the choice to save Selina or Harvey is the first real choice thats going to affect the narrative of the game. The rest of the decisions seem pretty small scale to me.
I'm curious about everyone's reaction to Penguin. Do you guys like the new, more unstable Penguin? I like him but I also kind of like that weasel-like nature he has from other mediums where he always bows out to anyone who appears superior to him, only to strike when they think he isn't a threat.
Also, I like the new direction for Thomas and Martha Wayne. They're always made out to be saints in Gotham so its a cool change up.

It was very brave of Tellltale to do what they did to Thomas and Martha. As for Penguin.... I think I like what they did with that character so far.

MaxSchreck

Postby JordanT4021 » Sep 24th, 2016, 11:51 pm

MaxSchreck wrote:
JordanT4021 wrote:Really Really impressed by both Episodes 1 and 2. This looks like its going to be a great story with an exciting new spin on the Batman mythos. Episode 2 spiralled out of control into pure insanity and I really need to play Episode 3 as soon as possible.

It was very brave of Tellltale to do what they did to Thomas and Martha. As for Penguin.... I think I like what they did with that character so far.

I know right!
I still don't entirely believe the allegations against the Wayne's. I'm expecting it to be some plot of a villain like Hush, Hugo Strange or Doctor Hurt who has impersonated Thomas Wayne before in the comics.
JordanT4021

Postby MaxSchreck » Sep 25th, 2016, 7:58 am

Could it really just be a trick at this point? Falcone did confirm that Thomas was a mobster... and Mayor Hill, too if I remember correctly. And then there was that video of him declaring Esther Cobblepot insane. As well as the huge number of other people who really were send to Arkham.

MaxSchreck

Postby ChaosThe15th » Sep 25th, 2016, 2:30 pm

MaxSchreck wrote:
Could it really just be a trick at this point? Falcone did confirm that Thomas was a mobster... and Mayor Hill, too if I remember correctly. And then there was that video of him declaring Esther Cobblepot insane. As well as the huge number of other people who really were send to Arkham.

Once Alfred confirmed it there was no going back in my eyes. I love what they are doing with the Batman mythos, this is a really great story Telltale seem to be crafting here.
ChaosThe15th

Favourite Graphic Novel: No Man's Land

Postby JordanT4021 » Sep 26th, 2016, 6:49 pm

I see what you guys mean. It definitely looks damning.

I like the small scale story but I'm hoping we get to see more Batman villains come into the story.
JordanT4021

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Arkhamverse Games