[Graphic Novel] The Killing Joke

Community Reviews of all things Batman!

Re: [Graphic Novel] The Killing Joke

Postby Jabels » Aug 20th, 2013, 5:28 pm

I always found this story to be pretty good, but not as great as everyone made it out to be.

But after re-reading it (with the original colouring, might I add, as the Deluxe Edition's colouring makes the art much more dull), I think it's amazing.

And this just made it even better (spoilers (but seriously if you haven't read this book already then you shouldn't be here (seriously (fucking seriously))))

Jabels

Favourite Villain: Lord Death Man

Postby Harvey Bullock » Aug 20th, 2013, 7:05 pm

I really need to give the book another read now that Grant has completely blew apart what I thought the ending was.

*shakes fist angrily* MOOORRRRRIIIIIISSSOOOOON!
Harvey Bullock

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: DC: The New Frontier

Postby TheJester » Aug 20th, 2013, 7:08 pm

[quote='Jabels'](with the original colouring, might I add, as the Deluxe Edition's colouring makes the art much more dull)[/quote]
Some panels I prefer from the original, others the deluxe. The warmer palette tends to work better for the creepier scenes I find. I love how Bolland's colouring managed to make everything look so lifelike. Some drawings look like something Alex Ross would do.

TDK_Returns wrote:So the last panel is no doubt one of the more famous among Batman's comics, but I was left with a nagging question at the end. Did Batman kill Joker? I was really confused< because when the two start laughing together Batman puts his hand on Joker's shoulder (awfully close to his neck-hint hint) and then all of a sudden the laughing stops and the car's headlights go out? What happened!?

I've always read it as the cops come, arrest Joker, continue the cycle. I never understood how it could be ambigious, but some people will read into anything.
~ I'm not mad, I'm just differently sane. ~
Check out my latest fanfic, Clipped Wings, here!
TheJester

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Postby J.Napier » Aug 21st, 2013, 3:02 pm

J.Napier wrote:http://io9.com/grant-morrison-says-alan-moore-secretly-killed-the-joke-1156091439

Just read this, and who else agrees with me that it's a completely bogus theory?

First off, his hands are placed too low to even be touching his neck. Second, how in the world do you mistake a pile of dirt for a pool of blood? Not to mention there'd be no puddle of blood even if he had done the deed, anyway. And third, I've read better ones like he hugs him at the end since the light goes out between them. Also look at Batman's facial expressions. If he was really going to be about to do that, he'd be doing his old scowling in rage stuff.

Of course people will back Morrison because he's a writer and can't say and do off the wall things, but in truth he would have never ever had the idea if DKR didn't exist.

Said this in gen chat.

Also this story was okay and said decent things, but for me it was a big emotional flat. I dislike how Barbara was depicted, along with how people regard the one bit as a canon origin when he clearly states he pretty much makes up his origin since he either can't remember or doesn't want to. I also always preferred the newer color job since the artist absolutely hated that first one. Decent review, anyway.
J.Napier

Favourite Villain: Joker/LDM
Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Knight Returns.

Postby MaxSchreck » Aug 21st, 2013, 5:19 pm

First off, his hands are placed too low to even be touching his neck. Second, how in the world do you mistake a pile of dirt for a pool of blood? Not to mention there'd be no puddle of blood even if he had done the deed, anyway. And third, I've read better ones like he hugs him at the end since the light goes out between them. Also look at Batman's facial expressions. If he was really going to be about to do that, he'd be doing his old scowling in rage stuff.

Talked with a friend about this recently and he said he always thought that Batman kills the Joker at the end of the book and if you look closely you could see that Batman lifts up the Joker slightly as if he would strangle him ... but now that I am looking at the picture I don`t know what he meant . Jokers feet are on the ground the whole time .

Also , the script they released doesn`t mention anything about making the panel look like Batman is killing the joker , which is weird , since it otherwise descripes all scenes extremely detailed .

That said , they way Jokers laughter is suddenly cut off still makes me think that the theory might be true. Doesn`t really matter that Batmans hand is placed to low , he could have grabbed Jokers neck or throat in the next panel .

"You may have invented being Robin , but I perfected it ." - Damian Wayne
MaxSchreck

Postby twofacesleftside » Aug 21st, 2013, 6:33 pm

I don't know if I've got the normal colour or not :(
Thanks Bane for the awesome avatar and sig!
twofacesleftside

Favourite Villain: Harley Quinn
Favourite Graphic Novel: Death in The Family

Postby MaxSchreck » Aug 21st, 2013, 7:20 pm

twofacesleftside wrote:I don't know if I've got the normal colour or not :(

I am sure you find pictures of both versions on your web . You can compare your comic to those then .

"You may have invented being Robin , but I perfected it ." - Damian Wayne
MaxSchreck

Postby twofacesleftside » Aug 21st, 2013, 7:35 pm

MaxSchreck wrote:
twofacesleftside wrote:I don't know if I've got the normal colour or not :(

I am sure you find pictures of both versions on your web . You can compare your comic to those then .

Turns out I've got the recoloured version
Thanks Bane for the awesome avatar and sig!
twofacesleftside

Favourite Villain: Harley Quinn
Favourite Graphic Novel: Death in The Family

Postby dgv881 » Dec 20th, 2014, 12:25 pm

It's almost a masterpiece in my opinion, still on of the best Batman graphic novels.
dgv881
Tyger2
Tyger2

Favourite Villain: THE JOKER
Favourite Graphic Novel: THE LONG HALLOWEEN

Previous

Return to Reviews