(Comic) Arkham Asylum: Living Hell

Community Reviews of all things Batman!

(Comic) Arkham Asylum: Living Hell

Postby thatguywiththebeanie » Dec 28th, 2013, 11:13 am

BACKGROUND/ PLOT:
Written by Dan Slott and Drawn by Ryan Sook, and published by DC Comics in 2005 is the legendary, Arkham Asylum: Living Hell. The famous origin story of Great White Shark, Humpty Dumpty, Doodlebug and Aaron Cash. The plot is simple; Warren White, a famous business man, is in financial debt or something and nobody will be nice to him because he said something mean about everybody (it's not really explained very well). Anyway, he decides to plead insanity as an "easy" way out. Unfortunately his "easy way out" has a way of backfiring gets him sent to Arkham Asylum where he meets some of the craziest bunch of psychopaths ever seen, works for Two Face, becomes friends with Humpty Dumpty, and get locked in a freezer where he ultimately becomes Great White Shark when his fingers, nose, hair and ears fall off. Also there are demons, monsters, twisted origin stories and interesting characters thrown in there as well.

MY OPINION:
This comic is a fun filled dive into the history of Arkham Asylum. We feel like we're trapped there and we start to fantasize about who WE would help out and/or become friends/henchmen for in that place. It just gets crazier and crazier as we go down the rabbit whole with all these interlocking subplots about Jane Doe, Aaron Cash, Killer Croc, Ventriloquist and Lunkhead, and Warren and Humpty. In my opinion it is a 9/10 or maybe even a 10/10. In my opinion it ranks up high with TDKR and Year One. Definitely a must read. You are free to disagree.
Ladies. Gentlemen. You have eaten well. You've eaten Gotham's wealth. Its spirit. Your feast is nearly over. From this moment on -- none of you are safe.
thatguywiththebeanie

Favourite Villain: Great White Shark
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman: Knightfall

Return to Reviews