Batman: 'X' Marks the Spot Act 1

Non-Arkhamverse Batman Fanfic

Batman: 'X' Marks the Spot Act 1

Postby gary2692 » Jan 13th, 2014, 5:40 pm

VICKI VALE ON SCREEN.

VICKI VALE
For two years a mysterious figure who has hunted down most of Gotham's deranged and homicidal inhabitants has been in Gotham City. The GCPD consider this figure to be a vigilante, as insane as the people he fights, they on the other hand, consider him their worst nightmare, and others consider him a myth. They call him the Bat-Man. Gotham City's worst nightmare! The Police predicted that his ultimate goal is to take over the Black Mask's criminal empire and claim it for himself. This, however, seems unlikely, as the Bat-Man's victims have only been found crippled, not dead, which is a prime factor in criminals. There is a fifty million dollar reward for whoever takes the Batman in, and a one hundred million dollar reward for whoever brings him in alive. Batman is said to be extremely dangerous, do not approach him under any circumstances!

OPENING CREDITS.

ACT ONE

'X' Marks The Spot
Act 1

FADE IN:

EXT. DOWNTOWN GOTHAM – NIGHT

ON WEAPONS

Two gloved hands (Deadshot's) unzip a large bag. Inside, numerous different types of hand guns sit inside, along with a tripod and sniper. Everything you need to successfully kill someone from afar. The hands take out the sniper, a silencer and the tripod, then build the sniper, screwing the silencer on the end and finally leaning it on the tripod.

CLOSE ON DEADSHOT.

Deadshot looks through the scope and searches in the ARMATECK building ahead of him.

CLOSE ON BUILDING.

Deadshot scans each window to look for his target: Prescott Belmont, owner of the Gotham City First National Bank and member of the golf club. Eventually, he locates Prescott in the twenty-seventh window on the ninth row, drinking sparkling wine with two women in his arms.

CLOSE ON PRESCOTT.

CLOSE ON DEADSHOT.

Deadshot takes his eye away from the scope to call his boss via com-link. He places two fingers over the device is his ear to hear better.
DEADSHOT
Deadshot to base, target located. Should I proceed? Over!

A male voice comes from the other end.

VOICE (BLACK MASK)
Proceed. Try not to make a mess!

DEADSHOT
Over and out!

Deadshot removes his fingers from the device and looks back into the scope.

CLOSE IN ON PRESCOTT.

Deadshot finds his target again, aims at his head and fires.

FOLLOW BULLET IN SLOW-MOTION.

INT. ARMATECK INDUSTRIES - NIGHT

The bullet smashes through the glass and meets Prescott's head. He falls to the ground, pulling the two women down with him. The civilians nearby see the blood on the floor, and the deceased body of Prescott Belmont's. The women scream, alerting the men. The guests panic, screaming.

EXT. DOWNTOWN GOTHAM – NIGHT

CLOSE ON DEADSHOT.

Deadshot looks away from the scope, packs away the tripod, disassembles the sniper, places it in the bag, zips it up and stands up.

ZOOM OUT ON DEADSHOT.

Carrying the bag, Deadshot walks away from the scene without a trace.

DEADSHOT
Target terminated.

CUT BLACK.

INT. GCPD BUILDING – NIGHT

An officer walks through all the desks, holding a stack of papers. He is heading for Commissioner. Gillian Loeb's office on the other side of the room. Around him, dozens of other Police officers act out their duty by either: answering phone calls, delivering letters or reading junk mail. The officer finally reaches Loeb's door.

CLOSE IN ON DOOR.
CLOSE IN ON OFFICER.

He raises his hand to knock, but hesitates. There are loud voices coming from within the room. The officer soon identifies them to be Loeb's and Lieutenant. Branden's voices.

INT. COMMISSIONER. LOEB'S OFFICE – NIGHT

Loeb is standing up in his chair behind his desk. Pointing his finger at the sorrowful Branden standing in front of him.

LOEB
...What leads have we got now, Branden?! Thanks to your great “leadership”, Gordon and his men have their grubby hands on Prescott Belmont's body. Explain to me again why you weren’t at the scene soon enough?

BRANDEN
Well...we...didn't find out till...till...Gordon told us via radio...

LOEB
So you didn't decide to turn on the radio to find out, eh?

BRANDEN
We...didn't think...

LOEB
That's right you didn't think! Now the mayor has more trust in the goddamn captain of Police that the actual Commissioner!
BRANDEN
We...were distracted! There was an unarmed robbery nearby which we had to check out. That was...more important...

LOEB
More important?! Who would you rather be Commissioner of Police? Me, an experienced cop, or Gordon, a rookie?

BRANDEN
You, sir!

LOEB
Good! Now get out of here, before I fire you!

CLOSER ON LOEB AND BRANDEN.

Branden marches out of the room, his hands in his pockets, as Loeb sits down in his chair to rest.

CLOSE ON OFFICER.

The officer who was waiting outside steps to the side out of Branden's way and enters Loeb's office.

OFFICER
Sir, I have the file on Prescott you requested.

LOEB
Good. Hand it over!

ZOOM OUT ON LOEB AND OFFICER.

The officer stretches to hand Loeb the file. Loeb snatches it off him, and flicks through the pages, then stops at one particular page.
CLOSE ON PAGE 4.

On page 4, a list of family members is printed. Loeb scans the page for the name and address of his wife, then shuts the file and hands it back to the officer.

CLOSE ON LOEB.

LOEB
On page four, there's an address for Belmont's wife. Go to it and bring her here, bring the child if she doesn't cooperate. I need her for questioning. Assemble a squad, and recruit Lieutenant. Branden. He must reclaim himself.

OFFICER
Yes sir.

The officer marches out of the room, the file under his armpit.

EXT. GCPD BUILDING – NIGHT

Standing on the ledge outside Commissioner. Loeb's office is the Batman. A small device is stuck on the window, and headphones are over Batman's head. Batman reaches over to the device on the window and takes it off. He presses a button on it and a recording is played.

CLOSE IN ON DEVICE.

LOEB
“...Bring the child if she doesn't cooperate.”

ZOOM IN ON UTILITY BELT.

The recording stops. Batman fastens it on his belt and folds the headphones and puts that, too, on his belt. Before he glides off the ledge he calls Alfred via com-link by placing his two fingers over his ear.

CLOSE ON BATMAN.

BATMAN
Alfred, give me the location of the Belmont Manor.

ALFRED
Of course, sir. Just give me a moment.

Batman waits for Alfred to reply.

ALFRED
Ah, the mansion is just south of Wayne Manor. On the coastline of Gotham City, too. May I ask why you are going there?

BATMAN
I may have a lead on Prescott Belmont's death.

ALFRED
Look luck, sir. I trust you'll be home soon.

ZOOM OUT ON BATMAN.

The call ends. Batman equips his grapple gun and fires it at the nearest rooftop, then soars through the sky towards it.

EXT. BELMONT MANOR – NIGHT

Two Police sirens roar as they head towards the Belmont Manor overlooking them. The sirens stop when they cars are parked outside the manor. Branden and two other officers exit their vehicle and walk over to the front door.

CLOSE ON BRANDEN.

Branden knocks. After a few seconds, the door opens. A woman stands in the doorway, with a small boy behind her.

BRANDEN
Ma’am, you're coming with us!

CLOSE ON PRESCOTT'S WIFE.

PRESCOTT'S WIFE
Why should I?

BRANDEN
We need information on your husband. To see if you know anything on why he was killed.

PRESCOTT'S WIFE
Well I don't! Goodnight!

Prescott's wife tries to shut the door, but is stopped by Branden's foot.

CLOSE ON BRANDEN'S FOOT.

BRANDEN
If you don't cooperate, I'm afraid we'll have to take your son to the station.

PRESCOTT'S WIFE
Like hell you are!
BRANDEN
Under the Commissioners orders, we must take at least one of you to the station.

PRESCOTT'S WIFE
Tough!

Branden loses his patience and grabs Prescott's wife's son by the arm.

PRESCOTT'S WIFE
No! Get off him!

The wife screams at Branden and tries to yank her son away from Branden, but isn't strong enough. Branden pushes her away and pulls the son away with him. Prescott's wife screams and cries for her son to come back.

ZOOM OUT ON PRESCOTT'S WIFE.
CLOSE ON BRANDEN AND SON.

Branden opens the door to his vehicle throws the boy inside then shuts the door.

CLOSE ON PRESCOTT'S WIFE.

Prescott's wife screams and cries for her son. Batman walks beside her and puts his hand on his shoulder to comfort her.

BATMAN
Calm down. I'll get your son back.

Prescott's wife calms down and watches Batman.

CLOSE ON BRANDEN.
Branden is inside the car trying to start the car, the child crying in the back. Batman smashes his hand through the glass, grabbing Branden by the collar and pulling him out of the car.

CLOSE ON CHILD.

The child in the back cries harder and louder.

ON BATMAN AND BRANDEN.

Branden is lying on the floor looking at Batman.

BATMAN
Leave the family alone!

BRANDEN
Like hell I will! Boys, he's attacking me! Shoot to kill!

Batman looks over at the cops aiming their guns at Batman, ready to fire.

BRANDEN
Fire at will!

Batman evades to the right avoiding the gunfire. He pulls Branden along with him. They take cover behind the cop car, watching the cops through a broken window.

CLOSE ON CHILD.

The child screams and ducks as the gunfire smashes through the windows.

ON BATMAN AND BRANDEN.

BRANDEN
There's no way of getting out of this one, Bats!

BATMAN
Don't count on it!

Batman shoves his elbow into Branden's face, knocking him out cold. A bullet hits Batman on the shoulder, knocking him forward.

OFFICER
He's down, move in!

ON OFFICERS.

The officers stop firing, and run towards the car Batman is behind.

CLOSE ON BATMAN.

Batman is kneeling on the floor, squeezing the wound in his shoulder. Blood erupts from the wound. Batman turns around to see all the officers running towards him.

CLOSE ON OFFICERS.

The officers arrive at the vehicle, hoping to find Batman, wounded, on the ground. However...he isn't.

OFFICER
Where'd he go?

CLOSE ON BATMAN UNDER THE VEHICLE.

Batman hides underneath the car looking at the officers.

ON OFFICERS.
An officer kneels down beside Brandon, to check his pulse.

OFFICER
Lieutenant. Branden's out cold!

ON OFFICERS FEET.

Batman plants a small device on an officers foot.

ON OFFICERS.

The device sends bolts of electricity through the officer.

OFFICER
Holy!

Batman climbs out from underneath the car and strikes at the officers.

CLOSE ON BATMAN.

Batman head buts the nearest cop, and throws him into another one, finishing them with a kick. Next, Batman punches a cop in the face, stunning him. Then ends it with a beatdown. Batman hears sirens in the distance...more cops.

ON COPS.

A squad of officers arrive at the scene and begin shooting at Batman.

ON BATMAN.

He sprints forward, attempting to dodge the gunfire. A bullet skims his hip. Batman slides behind another car to avoid the bullets.

ON OFFICERS.

OFFICER
Aim at the gas tank!

The officers redirect their gunfire at the gas tank.

ON BATMAN.

It explodes. Batman soars through the air landing in bushes. He gets up, wiping the blood off his face.

CLOSE ON OFFICERS.

The officers are running towards him.

CLOSE ON BATMAN.

Batman takes a Batarang from his utility belt and aims it at the officers.

ON OFFICERS.

A red beam is aimed at the officers heads, numerous shots are fired, impaled through the cops' head.

ON BATMAN.

Batman looks up at the roof.

CLOSE ON GLOOMY FIGURE (DEADSHOT) ON ROOF.

He sees a gloomy figure (Deadshot) on there, packing up and running.

CLOSE ON BATMAN.

Batman grapples up onto the roof and soars through the air. He lands on the roof and runs to the other side, looking for the figure. There's no one there. Batman turns around to search for any clues and finds an objects on the ledge. As he walks closer, he recognises it to be a tripod.

CLOSE ON TRIPOD.

BATMAN (thinking)
Somebody left behind a tripod, probably to steady their shots. It must've been the person who shot the cops.

CLOSE ON BATMAN.

Batman calls Alfred via com-link.

BATMAN
Alfred send the Batwing to my location!

ALFRED
Of course, sir.

Batman disconnects and kneels down beside the tripod. He takes out a large plastic bag out of his utility belt and puts it over the tripod, sealing it inside.

BATMAN (thinking)
This could hod some clues on the cops murderer.

At that moment, the Batwing arrives and lands on the roof next to Batman. He climbs in, shutting the door behind him.

BATMAN
Computer, go home!

COMPUTER
Confirmed.

With that, the Batwing turns around and travels to the Batcave.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

Batman: Arkham Origins The Official Novelization. Read on "Our Arkhamverse" now!
gary2692

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Knight Returns

Return to Fanfic