I AM THE NIGHT PT.2: The Case of the Chemical Syndicate

Non-Arkhamverse Batman Fanfic

I AM THE NIGHT PT.2: The Case of the Chemical Syndicate

Postby The_King_Of_Arkham » Jan 15th, 2014, 6:54 am

The cyclist awoke groggy and with aches and pains all over. He groaned and winced as he tried to get himself in an upright position from the sickbed he was lying on in the study. Alfred…must’ve brought me in, he thought. He tried to stand but immediately toppled over and knocked over a tray with medical supplies inside as he went down.
“Master Bruce!” shouted an aging gentleman rushing to his side. “Sir you’re body hasn’t fully recovered from the sedative I gave you,”
“Sedative?” Bruce chuckled as the gentleman helped him back to the sickbed. “More like tranquilizer. How much did you give me for the numbing agents to still be this active?”
His old friend shared in the laugh, “Probably the equivalent of tranquilizer. You aren’t the best patient Master Bruce.” He placed Bruce upright on the bed. “It took far more than a normal dose just to get you unconscious. I thought I was going to have to strike you with something, but then I would just be adding more to your injuries then wouldn’t I?”
Bruce grunted as he tried to get comfortable, “I may be a lousy patient,” he said with a grin. “But your bedside manner could definitely use some work.”
Alfred began to walk over to the bag that had previously been slung over Bruce’s shoulder. “Perhaps it would be best to remind you I am a butler, not a surgeon.” He carefully picked up the bag and walked back to Bruce. “If you have a problem with my bedside manner then perhaps you should start learning to stitch up your own bloody wounds, or find…other ways of spending your nights. I hear partying is all the rage for young men your age.”
“Or I could get a new butler,” Bruce mused. He took the bag and started examining its contents. He held up a few vials with dark liquid inside and removed bags with miscellaneous items inside them.
“Might one inquire what last night was all about?” asked Alfred.
“Ace chemicals, well one of their subsidiaries, was hit last night. When I arrived it was a massacre.” He held up one of the bags containing a lock. “This is just some of the evidence I managed to collect before the police got there.”
Alfred took the bag from his hand and examined it closely. “What is this residue on the edges?” he asked. “Some sort of chemical tampering?”
Bruce nodded, “Exactly, the whole main office and everyone inside was completely destroyed and mutilated by some sort of chemical, my guess is whatever is on this lock was also used as the murder weapon.”
“Then you’re wanting to trace the chemical back to the source?” Alfred asked handing it back. “Finding the manufacturer and inadvertently the killer in question?”
“I already have some suspicions, but I’ll know more when I get a complete spectrographic analysis off everything.” He held up one of the vials with the dark liquid. “Starting with these.”
“Blood samples, sir?” asked Alfred
“Mhm,” Bruce zipped everything back up in his bag. “I figure we find out who was murdered in that room, then we might figure out the motive. Narrowing down a list of suspects.”
Alfred picked up the bag, “Would you like for me to begin on the blood samples, sir?” Bruce nodded, clearly already planning what to do next. “You know sir…”Alfred began. “Your injuries might have been less severe if you hadn’t endangered yourself so much last night.”
Bruce came out of his thoughts, “What do you mean, Alfred?”
“Well sir…leading the police on a merry chase around Gotham, trashing your motorcycle, and attacking the police force isn’t exactly the safest actions.”
“Well what I have trained so many years for isn’t exactly going to be safe and secure,” Bruce said defiantly. “And the police aren’t going to lose much sleep over me, they’ll just go harass some innocent civilian and let the bad guys pay them off to keep hurting people to make the blues go away.”
“I wish you didn’t think so harshly of the police force, Bruce.” Alfred said with a sigh. “Not all of them are as corrupt as you might think.”
“Which makes them spineless fools too afraid to stand up to the blatant corruption running wild through this city,” Bruce paused and looked down. “I understand fearing for your life and protecting the ones you love…but that still doesn’t make it right to let this continue.”
Both men sat in silence for a few moments, finally it was Alfred who broke the silence, “Well then,” he started. “I’m sure I’ll be absolutely riveted analyzing all the blood samples of murder victims. What will you do in the meantime? It’s not as though we carry the equipment necessary for a complete spectrographic analysis, we’re fortunate we were able to put together the little bit of lab equipment we have down in the wine cellar.”
Bruce smirked, “I have a contact who’s very discreet, she can analyze everything I need within an hour.”
Alfred knew who he was referring to and rolled his eyes, “Oh dear lord.” Bruce laughed, then grunted in pain from his ribs.
Gotham University was one of the most well funded colleges in the country. Some of the brightest and most successful people in the world came from Gotham U, Bruce was interested in one field in particular. Forensic sciences. Some of their generous funding allowed students to work with the best forensic equipment to date. And as far as students go, Bruce was looking for one student in particular. The top student of applied sciences, forensics, and computer technology. There was nothing this girl couldn’t do with technology. Stick her on a deserted island with some metal, wiring, and some tools and she’d have a working radio signaling an S.O.S before the week was over, Bruce joked to himself. I hope I recognize her, it has been a few years since I saw her last.
Out of the corner of his eye he saw a pale girl with way too much dark makeup and really thick rimmed glasses, with long black hair in pigtails, wearing a gray shirt covered in gothic drawn bats all over it covered by a white lab coat with black skinny jeans, and big black leather boots covered in straps and buckles that went up to the knee running up to him with the most excited look on her face.
When she finally caught up to him the mystery girl threw her arms around him and shouted “Bruce! It’s been way too long!”
Okay…this is…weird, he thought with a horrified and confused look on his face. When the girl let go she looked at him with the biggest smile on her face. “It’s me!” she exclaimed happily. She saw Bruce still looked confused. “Bruce Wayne, are you seriously telling me you don’t recognize me?” she did a little twirl like a ballerina.
Is she? His mouth dropped, “Kathy? Kathy Kane?”
She giggled, “Yep,” she playfully saluted him. “Your friendly neighborhood Batwoman and scientist, that’s me.”
END PART TWO
"You see now I understand there are no chance encounters, it was all meant to be, everything leading up to who. I've met. Tonight."
-The Joker (Batman: Arkham Origins)
The_King_Of_Arkham

Favourite Villain: The Joker and Bane
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman R.I.P

Re: I AM THE NIGHT PT.2: The Case of the Chemical Syndicate

Postby Joe Chill » May 2nd, 2014, 4:31 am

I have to say that this is some of the best fanfic writing I've seen. Great tempo and dialogue - structure could use some work overall, but that's an easy remedy.
Joe Chill
Global Mod
Global Mod

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush

Re: I AM THE NIGHT PT.2: The Case of the Chemical Syndicate

Postby The_King_Of_Arkham » May 29th, 2014, 7:24 am

Yea I've always heard I need some structuring but thank you for reading I do plan on continuing this
"You see now I understand there are no chance encounters, it was all meant to be, everything leading up to who. I've met. Tonight."
-The Joker (Batman: Arkham Origins)
The_King_Of_Arkham

Favourite Villain: The Joker and Bane
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman R.I.P

Return to Fanfic