Batman: 'X' Marks The Spot Act 2

Non-Arkhamverse Batman Fanfic

Batman: 'X' Marks The Spot Act 2

Postby gary2692 » Jan 23rd, 2014, 8:11 pm

ACT TWO

INT. BATCAVE – NIGHT

ON BATMAN.

Batman, unmasked, is sitting at the Bat computer, rubbing his chin.

CLOSE ON SCREEN.

On the screen, is a blueprint of the tripod he found earlier and all the details surrounding it. The actual tripod is placed beneath a scanner next to the computer. Batman scrolls down the page, reading vital information.

ALFRED
A-hem?

Batman turns around to see his butler, Alfred Pennyworth, standing there holding a silver tray with tea and sandwiches on it.

ON ALFRED.

ALFRED
Good evening, Master Bruce. How has your night been so far?

CLOSE ON BRUCE.

BRUCE
There's a killer in town. He's already murdered Prescott Belmont and some cops.

ON ALFRED.

ALFRED
I see, and what are you examining?

CLOSE ON BRUCE.

BRUCE
After the cops were shot, I noticed somebody on the roof. When I got up there, the figure was gone. However, he left behind a tripod, which he probably used to steady his shot.

ON ALFRED.

ALFRED
And are you searching for fingerprints on the tripod to try and find this...killer?

ON BRUCE.

BRUCE
Marksman, Alfred. He's a marksman. He uses a sniper to kill his victims. He's a professional.

COMPUTER
Scan complete.

ON SCREEN.

Bruce turns back to the screen. On it, is the tripod, highlighting key features.

BRUCE
The fingerprints have a small trace of a rust-like metallic compound. The traces are found on the bottom and the clamp handle.

ALFRED
So do this mean you can trace the fingerprints and locate him?

BRUCE
Unfortunately, no. There are too many compounds which match the fingerprints. It'll take all night to find them all. Only one could be their hideout or base. In order to find them, I'll need their DNA.

ON ALFRED.
ALFRED
Do you wish to shoot him and collect his blood?

CLOSE ON BRUCE.

Bruce turns around to look at Alfred, frowning.

BRUCE
Never!

EXT. TIME SQUARE – DAY

ON LOEB.

Commissioner. Gillian Loeb is stood behind a podium, neatening his papers. Behind him, Captain. James Gordon and Harvey Bullock stand staring at the crowd of reporters in front of them.

REPORTER
Commissioner, where exactly was Belmont killed?

REPORTER
Is there a chance he's alive? Could he still be alive?

REPORTER
Who killed Belmont? Is he on record?

LOEB
Silence!

The crowd quiet down.

LOEB
I know why you're all here. To find out about Prescott Belmont's death. Currently, we don't have any information about Belmont's killer, though we do know that he's an expert marksman. He was killed in this building behind me. We do not know why he was targeted, nor if he had any connection with the killer. Now, I'm going to put you in the more than capable hands of Captain. James Gordon. He'll answer your questions.

Loeb walks away from the podium to let Gordon behind it.

GORDON
One question at a time please!

REPORTER
What happened when you went to the Belmont manor?

GORDON
I don't know much. But I do know that it didn't go smoothly. Lieutenant Branden and his men didn't handle the situation fairly. Next question.

REPORTER
How was the Bat-Man involved?

The crowd goes silent out of shock.

CLOSE ON GORDON.

GORDON
How many times do I have to say this? There is no such as a Bat-Man!

Gordon leaves the podium out of anger. The crowd begin to shout again.

INT. PARTY ROOM – NIGHT

ON EDWARD CAINE.

Edward Caine is standing at the bar, drinking whiskey. There are two blond twins in his arms, smiling and laughing.

ON DEADSHOT.

On the other side of the room, a man (Deadshot) stares at Edward Caine, drinking his drink from time-to-time. He watches his every move. He places two fingers over his ear.

ON EDWARD AND WOMEN.

DEADSHOT
The targets guarded by two blond women. It doesn't look like they'll be leaving his side any time soon. I can't kill him without attracting the public’s attention.

VOICE (BLACK MASK)
That's only made our job a little harder. Get ready to follow him, I'll give him a call.

Deadshot hangs up and removes his two fingers. Slowly, he walks towards Edward Caine. A butler walks towards Edward, holding the phone.

ON BUTLER.
BUTLER
Sir, you have a call.

ON EDWARD.
EDWARD CAINE
Excuse me, ladies. I'll be right back.

Edward walks to his butler and snatches the phone from him.

EDWARD CAINE
Who is this?!

VOICE (BLACK MASK)
Your worst nightmare!

A bullet is impaled into Edward Caine's head. He collapses onto the table, breaking the telephone set.

CLOSE ON DEADSHOT.

Deadshot walks over to the buffet table and takes a cocktail stick. He eats it as he walks out of the room.

LATER:

ON GORDON AND BULLOCK.

Captain. James Gordon and Harvey Bullock stand over the deceased body of Edward Caine. The body is covered in a bag. Gordon walks over to an officer writing down notes.

GORDON
What have we got officer?

ON OFFICER.
OFFICER
Not much, Captain. Gordon. Looks like Caine was alone at the time, shot at about three metres away, and the bullet went into his throat. He would've died from choking. Also, Caine was answering the phone at the time.

ON GORDON.
GORDON
Have we got the caller's number?

ON OFFICER.
OFFICER
Unfortunately, Caine destroyed the telephone set as he collapsed, loosing all data.

ON GORDON.
GORDON
Damn!

Above, on the balcony, Batman listens and watches Gordon and his men analyse the body.

ON BATMAN.

ON GORDON.
GORDON
Try not to mess up any leads as you leave. We're done here!

CLOSE IN ON BATMAN.

Gordon and Bullock leave the room, the other officers following. Batman drops down, landing in front of Edward Caine's body. He bends down and removes the plastic cover.

CLOSE ON EDWARD CAINE.

He tilts Edward's head and finds the bullet in his throat.

ON BATMAN.

BATMAN
The Police were right. The bullet was impaled in his throat, and it wouldn't have killed him instantly.

Batman stands straight and looks around.

BATMAN
I'm betting the marksman who killed Prescott Belmont and those cops did this. Perhaps I could find traces of the metallic compound around here?

FIRST PERSON:

Batman switches his Detective vision on and analyses the room carefully.

ON GLASS.

A red object is highlighted.

ON BATMAN.

Batman switches off his Detective vision and walks over to a glass.

BATMAN
The killer must've been drinking out of this glass. Perhaps I could finds his DNA inside of it?

CLOSE IN ON GLASS.

Batman, again, turns on his Detective vision and scans the glass. He picks up the DNA of somebody's breath.

BATMAN
The DNA belongs to an American named Floyd Lawton, codename: Deadshot. He's an expert sharpshooter. He's been recently hired by the Black Mask to find and kill: Prescott Belmont, his wife and Edward Caine. The GCPD have dealt with him before, regarding the Penguin.

ON BATMAN.

Batman exits Detective Vision.

BATMAN
I might be able to form a trail of Deadshot's breath and finally locate him.

INT. ACE CHEMICAL BUILDING – NIGHT

ON DOOR.

The door leading into Deadshot's hideout opens, and Deadshot himself enters.

CLOSE IN ON DEADSHOT.

He throws his bag containing weapons onto his workbench and sits in his chair. His con-link vibrates, meaning he has a call. He answers it.

DEADSHOT
Yeah?

BLACK MASK
Your performance has been good throughout, but now I'm gonna put you up to the challenge. Your final target, if you choose to accept, is Batman.

Deadshot is silent.

DEADSHOT
Contract accepted!

END OF ACT 2

Batman: Arkham Origins The Official Novelization. Read on "Our Arkhamverse" now!
gary2692

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Knight Returns

Return to Fanfic