Arkhamverse Locations #1: Wonder City

Gotham City has a varied history. A city with a more European feel than the rest of America; discover it's secrets here.

Arkhamverse Locations #1: Wonder City

Postby Red_Robin » Mar 13th, 2013, 10:12 am

Featured Role
Wonder City was the location where Batman undertook the Demon Trials in an attempt to cure him from Joker's disease. In Arkham City, it is connected to Wonder Tower and it is still abandoned from the deathly events that happened long ago. Wonder City is home to Ra's and Talia al Ghul, and the only Lazarus Pit currently known in the Arkhamverse. Thanks to jifw52.

Additional Information
Over a century ago, the mysterious Rā's al Ghūl arrived in Gotham City and met with the Gotham elders. Even then, Gotham was a crime-ridden, lawless place. Rā's promised a brighter future for all in exchange for a deed to the north end of the city. The Gothamites laughed at this strange man, until he produced more gold than they'd ever seen.

The deed in hand, Rā's began construction of a new city, a utopian vision powered by clean, free energy. With no crime, the future would be bright and as the last brick was laid by the slaves he had shipped in from his homeland, Rā's presented the future of Gotham: Wonder City.

Mechanical guardians watched over the population of Wonder City while behind the scenes, lawbreakers were removed and executed. Wonder Tower stood above it all, a monument to prosperity. But for Rā's, the real reason for choosing this location was simple. Beneath the streets, he had located a chemical source that he called Lazarus. In small doses it would rejuvenate a person, but Rā's believed that with enough power the Lazarus could be super-charged to defeat any aliment...even death itself!

Unknown to all but Rā's al Ghūl and his engineers, Wonder Tower was actually a giant lightning rod. When the time was right, he would test his theory.

Wonder City continued to operate for months before the effect of prolonged exposure to the Lazarus chemical became clear; it was driving the city's inhabitants insane. When Rā's al Ghūl failed to act, the newly formed Gotham City Hall did. Wonder City was declared a public health hazard and quarantined.

Troops dragged the screaming citizens out of their homes, straight to Arkham Asylum. Rā's al Ghūl disappeared. As Gotham reached into the sky, new neighbourhoods were built over Wonder City, until the site was all but forgotten. Some years later, Rā's returned in need of his old Lazarus Pit. As his forces began the mining process, the streets above collapsed, but Rā's forced them to keep digging.

Possible role in Arkham 3
With the super-prison Arkham City shut down for good, the citizens kicked out of their homes by Mayor Sharp could finally move back to their old homes - though having been residence to Gotham's most violent criminals for several months, the area was less than habitable for most. Cue the rediscovery of Wonder City, a failed underground living area development plan that Gotham politicians scrapped for public health safety. Now redeveloped and bustling with life, Wonder City now serves as a home for nearly 300 Gotham citizens; but little do they know about the League of Assasins rebuilding a Lazurus Pit right next door. Thanks to TheJester.

Notable Appearances outside of the Arkhamverse
None! Wonder City made it's debut in Arkham City, but there are definite influences, such as the Gotham World's Fair from Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. We've even seen the idea of forgotten structures resurface in the recent Court of Owls storyline.

How would you like to see it in Arkham Origins?
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: No Man's Land

Re: Arkhamverse Locations #1: Wonder City

Postby Harvey Bullock » Apr 7th, 2013, 9:21 pm

Nice addition to the database R_R! :adam:

I'd love to revisit Wonder City. It was such an intriguing location and I'd love to see more of it.

MAYBE with it being built in the 19th century, we could see a flashback to Jonah Hex in Gotham? It's definitely a long shot, but it would be a nice little Easter Egg to see it in some capacity as it was being built.
Harvey Bullock

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: DC: The New Frontier

Postby Benji » Apr 7th, 2013, 9:37 pm

I really don't want to revisit Wonder City again to be honest, it was a nice idea and all, and it was a little creepy, but I would much rather make room for the more classic locations of Batman mythos.

Storms come and go. The big fish eat the little fish and I keep on paddling.
Benji

Favourite Villain: Team Rocket
Favourite Graphic Novel: Long Halloween

Postby jifw52 » Apr 7th, 2013, 9:48 pm

For Wonder City information during the events of Arkham City, I suggest you to refer to the "Wonder City" page on the Batman Wiki that I created almost a year ago. Great addition to the database, R_R!
You are the product of everything you fear: violence, darkness, helplessness. All that remains is for you to watch, as I drag your beloved Gotham into oblivion. -Scarecrow, Batman: Arkham Knight
jifw52

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Postby TheJester » Apr 7th, 2013, 11:09 pm

So for the 'Featured Role' section, we just write up how it was used in the game/s?

This is sort of going on a limb, but what the heck...

Possible Role in A3:
With the super-prison Arkham City shut down for good, the citizens kicked out of their homes by Mayor Sharp could finally move back to their old homes - though having been residence to Gotham's most violent criminals for several months, the area was less than habitable for most. Cue the rediscovery of Wonder City, a failed underground living area development plan that Gotham politicians scrapped for public health safety. Now redeveloped and bustling with life, Wonder City now serves as a home for nearly 300 Gotham citizens; but little do they know about the League of Assasins rebuilding a Lazurus Pit right next door.
~ I'm not mad, I'm just differently sane. ~
Check out my latest fanfic, Clipped Wings, here!
TheJester

Postby johnsyggel » Apr 7th, 2013, 11:50 pm

Locations are a great addition to the database,good job!Honestly,every time i play AC the only location i hate is Wonderland.These assassin chicks appear way too suddenly and they scare the shit out me... :oldyella:
Role in A3?None.Wondercity was created below Arkham City,it couldn't possibly play a role in the next game.
When the mugger or the thief stops to think twice,that is fear.That is what I am.Tonight will not be my end,but it will be theirs!
johnsyggel

Favourite Graphic Novel: The killing joke

Postby gary2692 » Apr 8th, 2013, 11:50 am

A scene were Wonder City and Arkham City explode. Fire zooming into Wonder City. :ras:

Batman: Arkham Origins The Official Novelization. Read on "Our Arkhamverse" now!
gary2692

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Knight Returns

Postby BrainyAche » Apr 14th, 2013, 3:56 pm

Wonder City is destroyed and useless now until someone decides to rebuild it with the Lazarus Pitt but who would done such a thing. Wonder City was nonfunctional before the explosion and before the fight with Clayface the only thing that was still functional in Wonder City was the Lazarus Pitt now even that is nonfunctional. I dont say that there is no chance for a second Lazarus Pitt Im just saying that not in Wonder City.
Wonder City is dead.
BrainyAche

Postby jifw52 » Apr 14th, 2013, 8:38 pm

Featured Role: Wonder City was the location where Batman undertook the Demon Trials in an attempt to cure him from Joker's disease. In Arkham City, it is connected to Wonder Tower and it is still abandoned from the deathly events that happened long ago. Wonder City is home to Ra's and Talia al Ghul, and the only Lazarus Pit currently known in the Arkhamverse.
You are the product of everything you fear: violence, darkness, helplessness. All that remains is for you to watch, as I drag your beloved Gotham into oblivion. -Scarecrow, Batman: Arkham Knight
jifw52

Postby Dr. Arrow » May 13th, 2013, 9:58 pm

TheJester wrote:
Possible Role in A3:
With the super-prison Arkham City shut down for good, the citizens kicked out of their homes by Mayor Sharp could finally move back to their old homes - though having been residence to Gotham's most violent criminals for several months, the area was less than habitable for most. Cue the rediscovery of Wonder City, a failed underground living area development plan that Gotham politicians scrapped for public health safety. Now redeveloped and bustling with life, Wonder City now serves as a home for nearly 300 Gotham citizens; but little do they know about the League of Assasins rebuilding a Lazurus Pit right next door.

It would be neat to see a nearly functional Wonder City. I see the League of Assassins using the citizens as guinea pigs in the rebuilding of a Lazarus Pit and/or vessels to revive Ra's Al Ghul.
Dr. Arrow

Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Postby TheJester » May 20th, 2013, 7:37 pm

Dr. Arrow wrote:
TheJester wrote:
Possible Role in A3:

It would be neat to see a nearly functional Wonder City. I see the League of Assassins using the citizens as guinea pigs in the rebuilding of a Lazarus Pit and/or vessels to revive Ra's Al Ghul.

That sounds like a fantastic idea. People go missing, you have to investigate. Simple.

On the topic of Arkham Origins, we may be able to visit Wonder City before it was closed. It would be nice, as you said, to see how it is different when full of life.
~ I'm not mad, I'm just differently sane. ~
Check out my latest fanfic, Clipped Wings, here!
TheJester

Postby B Wiggs » Jul 26th, 2013, 9:50 pm

It might sound crazy but, knowing Basil Karlo, alias Clayface, couldn't he be immortal now? It's a stretch I know, but I think he'd be very inclined to keep a Lazarus Pit handy, seeing that the only thing that would stop him beforehand was a freezing agent and possibly some water (sort of like the case with Marvel's Sandman).

Assuming Clayface is still alive and reiterated into the third installment of the franchise somehow. :ras:
B Wiggs

Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman: Year 100

Postby Dr. Arrow » Jul 27th, 2013, 3:35 am

B Wiggs wrote:It might sound crazy but, knowing Basil Karlo, alias Clayface, couldn't he be immortal now? It's a stretch I know, but I think he'd be very inclined to keep a Lazarus Pit handy, seeing that the only thing that would stop him beforehand was a freezing agent and possibly some water (sort of like the case with Marvel's Sandman).

Assuming Clayface is still alive and reiterated into the third installment of the franchise somehow. :ras:

After doing another play-through of Arkham City, I have thought the same thing. If he fell into a Lazarus Pit (which I would say he did), Clayface should have a fairly large role in a third installment. His shapeshifting could definitely be used to mess with Batman's scarred psyche after Joker's death especially if Scarecrow returns. Wonder City definitely could be the origin of the action for Arkham 3.
Dr. Arrow

Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Postby KingOfEngima411 » Aug 8th, 2013, 7:23 pm

I would love to visit Wonder City once again. I have no idea how it could work in the plot , but it will be a cool place to investigate once more.
"I am man of few words,
but many riddles"
-Frank Gorshin

R.I.P Frank
KingOfEngima411

Favourite Villain: Riddler/Mr.Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Mr.Freeze

Postby Red_Hood » Aug 11th, 2013, 7:22 pm

I liked how it was creepy and all but maybe more classic places

"Say hi to Joker for me."
Red_Hood