[RECRUITING] Web Comic - Oracle MIA

Have you got a Batman project that you're working on? Web comic? Fan film? Cosplay? Live Action Role Play Group?
Share it or find fellow contributors here!

[RECRUITING] Web Comic - Oracle MIA

Postby Red_Robin » Aug 15th, 2014, 8:05 am

Fan Comic Series - Batman: Oracle MIA

Using Phil Cho's art as a base, we settled upon a look for each of our major characters.
Check out Phil's work here.

I'm no artist (as you can see), but here is the initial character sketch that I came up with.

The Premise
After years of endless crossovers with the rest of the DCU (some of which we enjoyed) we were starting to get irritated by the way that the Batman characters were being pushed into editorial, rather than creative, mandated directions. The relaunch known as the New52 was too much. Though both of us have lost a lot of our enthusiasm for DC Comics, one half of our writing duo has stopped buying DC books altogether due unnecesary changes to characters and a lack of engaging stories.

After much discussion of what we wanted to see from Batman stories and what our favourite aspects of the Batman continuity were, we managed to plan out our own version of a reboot. We have plotted out Batman's past, present and future: we know where the characters are going (it's clear that DC editorial have no clear plan).

For the most part, the characters' origins remain the same, but there have been some slight tweaks here and there to suit story and how we have arranged continuity. Where we have made some changes, it was essential that we didn't change the core of the character. The character we changed the most, Cassandra Cain, is still the same character that people would recognise from the comics, but we included some different elements to tie her to Lady Shiva and introduce her to the Batclan, since we removed No Man's Land from our truncated timeline.

The World
Gotham City exists in a version of the DCU where superheroes simply never happened.
Thomas and Martha Wayne were murdered and their son grew up to be the Batman, an urban legend that haunts the streets of Gotham, punishing the wicked.
Magic doesn't exist. Aliens haven't visited Earth. Any 'super powered' criminals that plague Gotham gained their abilities through scientifically explainable means. Freeze uses pressurised gases in his weaponry. Hatter's 'mind control' is achieved through drugs that create suggestive states and Ivy has undergone heavy gene therapy that rewrote her DNA to include chlorophyll creating cells and allow her to 'root' herself into the ground and encourage hyper-stimulated plant growth (she can't control the movement of plants, but she could sprout a tree from a seed).

Gotham, like New York in our world, is a hub for imports, creativity, business, corruption and crime. People and money will always be drawn back to Gotham despite the occasional gang war because it does have the best companies, education and museums. It's arts, fashion and media industries thrive.

Corruption still runs rife throughout the City. Political pressure forces Jim Gordon to go along with the 'shoot on sight' orders for all costumed vigilantes. He keeps a small group of trusted cops close to him, but otherwise he has to sneak around to get information to the Batman. A Batsignal had been used for a short time; but recently pressure has come from Washington; the Batman rumours are a political embarrassment.

What we're looking for...
We've written what we hope is the first of several mini-series projects, but we need artists, inkers and colourists. Obviously, if you ink your own work because you work digitally, or ink and colour at the same time, that's even better.
We are looking principally for six artists, inkers and colourists (though again, if you double up roles then that works even better) for the following tasks:
1- Issue #1: A Jim Gordon/GCPD based issue.
2- Issue #2: A Nightwing central issue.
3- Issue #3: An action packed adventure featuring Batgirl.
4- Issue #4: A detective-oriented Robin story.
5- Issue #5: The Batman brings the story to it's chilling conclusion.
6- A cover artist for all five issues.

Where are we need right now?
Issues 3 and 4 are ready to go be handed over to an artist. Issues 1, 2 and 5 are broken down page-by-page, but need some final scripting work before hand over can take place.

Do you think that you can help us out? We're looking for aspiring comic book artists who need some sequential storytelling to add to their portfolio. In return, you'll get a script that promises action and chances for experimentation with how to present motion and composition (you'll also get to draw Batman characters).

Send us a sample of your work in .jpeg or .png format at admin@arkhamverse.com
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: No Man's Land

Re: [RECRUITING] Web Comic - Oracle MIA

Postby BuNKiTZ » Aug 15th, 2014, 11:33 am

I want to give this a shot, but I've never tried drawing comics and I have umm, self esteem issues when it comes to my art :I
BuNKiTZ

Favourite Villain: Mister Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman R.I.P.

Postby MaxSchreck » Aug 15th, 2014, 11:35 am

Your projects sounds really awesome :). Not sure if I can help you out,though. At least not at the moment.
I might draw your version of the Batfamily just for fun,though. Could be your very first Fan-Art :oldyella:

"You may have invented being Robin , but I perfected it ." - Damian Wayne
MaxSchreck

Postby Dark Outlook » Aug 15th, 2014, 11:54 am

I'll give it a shot. My imgur is being weird at the minute though

-- Aug 15th, 2014, 12:04 pm --

Alright I sent the email, I hope you like it!
(it will be pictures of Deadpool, Cap and Batman)
Dark Outlook

Favourite Villain: Harley Quinn
Favourite Graphic Novel: Knightfall

Postby TheJester » Aug 15th, 2014, 1:55 pm

I don't think I'm that good to do the inside work, but I can definitely give a go at the cover art. The only thing is I don't work digitally though, as I sold my graphics tab, so someone else would have to ink/colour for me.
~ I'm not mad, I'm just differently sane. ~
Check out my latest fanfic, Clipped Wings, here!
TheJester

Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Postby Dark Outlook » Aug 15th, 2014, 3:08 pm

BuNKiTZ wrote:I want to give this a shot, but I've never tried drawing comics and I have umm, self esteem issues when it comes to my art :I

You won't know unless you try, I'm sure your art is fine
Dark Outlook

Favourite Villain: Harley Quinn
Favourite Graphic Novel: Knightfall

Postby The Scarred Side » Aug 15th, 2014, 4:01 pm

Totally up for this! Send me a PM!

Obviously I'd like to be an artist for this project!

Check out my Review of The Hunger Games here http://forums.arkhamverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=22617
The Scarred Side

Postby Red_Robin » Aug 15th, 2014, 8:56 pm

Thanks to those how have already put their submissions forward. I'll be leaving the submission window open for a while before settling on artists.

Looking forward to seeing my words as images. :adam:
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MaxSchreck » Aug 15th, 2014, 9:09 pm

May I ask how long each issue will be ? :)

"You may have invented being Robin , but I perfected it ." - Damian Wayne
MaxSchreck

Postby Red_Robin » Aug 15th, 2014, 9:11 pm

MaxSchreck wrote:May I ask how long each issue will be ? :)

They're twenty to twenty-two pages long.
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Thebatman1125 » Aug 16th, 2014, 12:47 am

So I want to do this but i am unsure of the time i will have. I have been Drawing either Batman or some form of Comics since i was 3. What are the time frames for each comic? because I would love to do this!!! :adam:
Thebatman1125
Tyger1
Tyger1

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman Hush

Postby Thebatman1125 » Aug 16th, 2014, 12:50 am

How long will each artist have to work on comic?
Thebatman1125
Tyger1
Tyger1

Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman Hush

Postby Arpeggios » Aug 16th, 2014, 5:03 am

Just Submitted some art

Love the idea, cant wait to see how it turns out! :adam:
la la la li la la di da di da di da
Arpeggios

Favourite Villain: the Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The long Halloween

Postby Red_Robin » Aug 16th, 2014, 7:03 am

Thebatman1125 wrote:How long will each artist have to work on comic?

Because it's an unpaid fan project, I think that aiming for a New Year release, but not being too strict would be best.
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CuzImBatman » Aug 16th, 2014, 10:32 pm

I would love to do something like this. Luckily for me I can draw stuff like portrait pictures of characters in a matter of minutes, but I'm not very good on background, something I want to work on. (I get hung up on explosions, rubble of buildings, and architecture. I guess I worry about being creatively consistent. "What if that doesn't look like Gotham City or New York?" "in issue #153 of xyz comic you drew Batman in xyz location, now when he's back in the same place in issue #176 it doesn't look the same!" It's just something that irks me about my ability to draw. I can absolutely do sequential art, I'm just not always that good at doing detailed enough backgrounds, but maybe I'm just all in my head. So my computer is having issues getting stuff to the link. Would someone be able to specifically walk me through what to do to get my work to the link to be sure I'm doing it right? Also, unless I completely missed it, to my understanding, these are more or less tryouts, so what do you want as a tryout entry/entries? Thanks very much, I've been drawing superheroes since I was 2 or 3 and still do it regularly, and I'm in college. It's what I love and I want as much constructive feedback to perfect my skills and opportunities to get my work out there. Thanks again!

-- Aug 16th, 2014, 4:54 pm --

I would love to do something like this. Luckily for me I can draw stuff like portrait pictures of characters in a matter of minutes, but I'm not very good on background, something I want to work on. (I get hung up on explosions, rubble of buildings, and architecture. I guess I worry about being creatively consistent. "What if that doesn't look like Gotham City or New York?" "in issue #153 of xyz comic you drew Batman in xyz location, now when he's back in the same place in issue #176 it doesn't look the same!" It's just something that irks me about my ability to draw. I can absolutely do sequential art, I'm just not always that good at doing detailed enough backgrounds, but maybe I'm just all in my head. So my computer is having issues getting stuff to the link. Would someone be able to specifically walk me through what to do to get my work to the link to be sure I'm doing it right? Also, unless I completely missed it, to my understanding, these are more or less tryouts, so what do you want as a tryout entry/entries? Thanks very much, I've been drawing superheroes since I was 2 or 3 and still do it regularly, and I'm in college. It's what I love and I want as much constructive feedback to perfect my skills and opportunities to get my work out there. Thanks again!

-- Aug 16th, 2014, 4:54 pm --

Maybe I'm just asking a stupid question, but I'm assuming these can't actually be self published because of trademark legal stuff, so how is all this stuff going to be shown off? Is it just something you'd give complete copies to those involved, share them online with the Arkhamverse community or something? Sorry if that's a stupid question, it's just something that came to mind as I read the post.
CuzImBatman

Favourite Graphic Novel: The Man Who Laughs

Next

Return to Project Central