Arkhamverse Villains #24: Calendar Man

Explore and learn more about Batman's villains in the Arkhamverse.

Arkhamverse Villains #24: Calendar Man

Postby Red_Robin » May 12th, 2012, 11:14 am

Real Name - Julian Day
Occupation - Professional Criminal
Based in - Gotham City
Eye Colour - Blue
Hair Colour - None (formerly brown)
Height - 5 ft 9 in
Weight - 218 lbs
First Appearance - Detective Comics #259 (September 1958)
Attributes
- obsessed with quirks of the calendar

Arkham City Bio
Fixated on the calendar, Julian Day became Calendar Man, a villain who timed and tied his crimes thematically to certain holidays throughout the year, often leaving clues by which he could be caught.
Gotham City's hopes for a day off are often clouded by the knowledge that any holiday of note is likely to be shadowed by Calendar man's presence.

Additional Information
Julian's obsession with the calendar simply began with his own name - a play on words of the Julian and Gregorian calendars. His crimes always have a relationship to the date that they are committed; whether it be a day of the week, a special occasion or a typical holiday, Calendar Man is always prepared, basing every last detail of his crimes on the theme of the occasion.
When the Holiday Killer began a serial murder spree in Gotham, Calendar Man was called upon by Batman to help catch the culprit. Though he already knew the identity of the killer, Julian kept the information to himself, choosing instead to taunt the Dark Knight with cryptic clues; partly due to his hatred of his gimmick being stolen by another killer.
Mocked by both heroes and villains alike, Day fears that he is being forgotten amongst all the other rogues; when the right occasion arrives though, he intends to prove them wrong. Thanks to TheJester.

Possible role in Arkham 3
Similar to his role in Batman: Arkham City, I see Calendar Man being utilized alongside the clock on your console. However, the difference is, I think that Calendar Man would take a more proactive approach; committing real crimes on specific dates around the year for Batman to stop. If Rocksteady used this idea they would be able to continue to hold the player's interest long past the end of the main story. He could have this AWESOME side-mission like the Riddler, but on certain holidays, he puts these clues around Gotham. The clues give you clues to where the hostage is. Once you find the place, rescue the hostage and the hostage gives you a clue to the hideout of Calendar Man. After all 12 hostages, you finally encounter Calendar Man and take him out. Thanks to Enigma and arkhamcitydood.

Essential reading
Batman #312, The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, The 80 Page Giant Batman Special Edition - 'All The Deadly Days', Shadow of The Bat #7-9 Thanks to TheJester.

Chances of appearing in Arkham3
5/10
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: No Man's Land

Re: Arkhamverse Villains #24: Calendar Man

Postby Enigma » Jun 17th, 2012, 8:19 am

Possible Role in Arkham 3:
Similar to his role in Batman: Arkham City, I see Calendar Man being utilized alongside the clock on your console. However, the difference is, I think that Calendar Man would take a more proactive approach; committing real crimes on specific dates around the year for Batman to stop. If Rocksteady used this idea they would be able to continue to hold the player's interest long past the end of the main story.

The only problem is how Calendar Man would be able to commit more than one crime, seeing as Batman would stop him on his first attempt. Perhaps there is a good solution I haven't yet thought of? Perhaps something akin to Riddler in AC?

Essential Reading:
Batman: The Long Halloween; Batman: Dark Victory

Chances of Appearing in Arkham 3:
5/10

He has been used very well already and there aren't many ways to include him again unless, like the Riddler in AC, he steps up his game a little.
Enigma

Favourite Graphic Novel: Knightfall vol. 1

Postby SenSx » Jun 17th, 2012, 12:33 pm

I find that Batman's relation with Calendar Man in AC has similar aspects to the ones that the FBI agent has with Hannibal in silence of the Lamb (except he is no cannibal of course)

He is darker than in the comics, and explains us how he proceeds.
In Arkham 3 I think he will show us by replacing Zasz as the serial Killer you must stop.
Remember that at the end of AC, Calendar man has vanished from his cell...

The problem is, that he only kills people on special days, so A3 will be on a special day, or the player will have to change the date in the console to make Calendar man comits crimes (but it would be weird story wise).

8/10
SenSx

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow/Black Mask
Favourite Graphic Novel: Court of Owls

Postby arkhamcitydood » Jun 17th, 2012, 4:43 pm

Chances of Appearing: 7/10

Possible Role: He could have this AWESOME side-mission like the Riddler, but on certain holidays, he puts these clues around Gotham. The clues give you clues to where the hostage is. Once you find the place, rescue the hostage and the hostage gives you a clue to the hideout of Calendar Man. After all 12 hostages, you finally encounter Calendar Man and take him out.
Note: Julian doesn't tell the hostages his hideout, but the hostages manage to work together and find out where the hideout is once you find them all.
arkhamcitydood

Favourite Villain: Penguin

Postby SenSx » Jun 17th, 2012, 5:10 pm

arkhamcitydood wrote:Chances of Appearing: 7/10

Possible Role: He could have this AWESOME side-mission like the Riddler, but on certain holidays, he puts these clues around Gotham. The clues give you clues to where the hostage is. Once you find the place, rescue the hostage and the hostage gives you a clue to the hideout of Calendar Man. After all 12 hostages, you finally encounter Calendar Man and take him out.
Note: Julian doesn't tell the hostages his hideout, but the hostages manage to work together and find out where the hideout is once you find them all.

From what we hear of him in AC, he seems to be more of a serial killer in AC.
SenSx

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow/Black Mask
Favourite Graphic Novel: Court of Owls

Postby MrHolmes623 » Jun 17th, 2012, 6:24 pm

the only way i can see calendar man killing through out Arkham 3 is that he kills everyone who has a birthday or anniversary on the say day , which could mean he goes after at least a million people . That way we wouldn't have to wait for each holiday for him to kill
MrHolmes623

Favourite Villain: Mr Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman/Judge Dredd

Postby Julian Day » Jun 17th, 2012, 6:49 pm

Happy Father's Day, Batman.
Julian Day
Tyger2
Tyger2

Postby ??? » Jun 17th, 2012, 7:37 pm

Possible role in A3: Calendar Man could commit crimes on certain holidays, depending on your systems clock(like in AC). He could commit a crime every month, and once you defeat every crime, you stop Calendar Man. The crimes could be like Julian brings presents to people's houses, which are actually bombs. Batman has to go to each house and defuse the bombs.

Chance of Returning:
8/10
Him disappearing in AC is a big hint he'll come back.
Last edited by ??? on Jun 17th, 2012, 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riddle me this, riddle me that...
???

Favourite Villain: Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: Killing Joke

Postby The Dark Crusader » Jun 17th, 2012, 7:39 pm

4/10

Although his role in AC was cool and different, I doubt he'll return. If he does, it should be similar to his role in AC, but the differencee is that he stages puzzles or crimes around Gotham. The game would have an in-game clock, and on specific dates (it'd be year round) he commits an act that you have to intercept.
"My father was convinced the world wasn't ready...what do you think?"
The Dark Crusader

Favourite Villain: Ra's Al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman: RIP

Postby conradoaccorsi » Jun 17th, 2012, 7:53 pm

Possible Role: After escaping from his cell on Solomon Wayne Tribunal.Killed Jonnhy Viti in New Year and will kill the entire Falcone Empire for being a ally of Maroni Empire. Batman have to stop this murders and investigate the victims.Leaving clues for his next murders Calendar Man plans something big and in final take some of Maroni's Men as hostages.
Essential Reading: Long Halloweeen,Dark Victory,Batman#384,Batman 80 page giant 3
Chances of Appearing in A3: 6-10
Imagine all the people
Thanks Dr. Arrow for sig and avatar
conradoaccorsi

Favourite Villain: Dr. Hurt/Ra's
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman R.I.P.

Postby Guest » Jun 17th, 2012, 11:30 pm

[quote="Enigma"][b]Possible Role in Arkham 3:[/b]
Similar to his role in [i]Batman: Arkham City[/i], I see Calendar Man being utilized alongside the clock on your console. However, the difference is, I think that Calendar Man would take a more proactive approach; committing real crimes on specific dates around the year for Batman to stop. If Rocksteady used this idea they would be able to continue to hold the player's interest long past the end of the main story.

The only problem is how Calendar Man would be able to commit more than one crime, seeing as Batman would stop him on his first attempt. Perhaps there is a good solution I haven't yet thought of? Perhaps something akin to Riddler in AC?[/quote]

X ammount of crimes.. a bit like the riddler hostages. On the last one you capture him.

Postby Scarecrow112 » Jun 18th, 2012, 12:43 am

Essential reading: The Long Halloween

Chances of Appearing in A3: 5/10
Thanks to Maultest for the awesome sig
Scarecrow112

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow and Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: Death of the Family

Postby MiStErFrIeS » Jun 18th, 2012, 2:15 am

Possible Role: The Calendar Man showed a more subtle and mentally calmed hatred for Batman and everyone else while he was incarcerated in Arkham City. Calendar Man was transferred from Arkham City to Blackgate Penitentiary after the death of Hugo Strange and the Joker. Later Dr. Thomas Elliot, disguised as Bruce Wayne, uses his talent and intimate knowledge of secrecy to slowly break useful prisoners out of the prison. He confronts Day after he is broken out and tries to convince him to help destroy the Batman. Conveniently it was five days before Halloween, a child's holiday turned into a night of crime in Gotham City. Day accepted to work for Elliot. On Halloween night Day kidnaps several children and ransoms each for thirty one thousand dollars. Batman finds him and saves the children but Julian escapes. Batman leaves the Calendar Man alone for a while until Thanksgiving. Day had grown tired of Elliot for trying to force him to commit crimes on regular, non holiday occuring days. Day decides to throw a Thanksgiving party for Elliot. Naturally, Elliot ignores it and leaves. Calendar Man starts to combust and scream angrily and he attempts to stab Elliot with a kitchen knife. Calendar Man just slices Elliot's neck and Elliot breaks Day's arm. Doctor Elliot, having a self made com-link to Batman tells Batman about Day and explains that Day had promised to wreak havoc on every holiday. This starts a special sidemission in which Batman recieves clues on any certain holiday and has to eventually usurp the Calendar Man. Each time Calendar Man escapes someway and Batman gets close to stopping him.

Essential Reading: The Long Halloween, Dark Victory
MiStErFrIeS

Favourite Villain: Mister Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: SagaOfTheSwampThing

Postby arkhamcitydood » Jun 18th, 2012, 2:18 am

Julian Day wrote:

Happy Father's Day, Batman.

Wait, wait, wait. Was the part where Calendar asked Selina if her dad was getting anything for her birthday put there for Father's Day!?!?
arkhamcitydood

Favourite Villain: Penguin

Postby Hush__ » Jun 18th, 2012, 8:32 pm

Additional Info: A serial killer with an obsession for the calendar, Calendar Man, though often depicted as goofy and useless, isn’t to be taken too lightly. His holiday inspired crimes often leave a gruesome scene behind and no holiday is safe when he’s free. A bit of a psychopath, Julian Day has murdered his own father, a judge, and many others as parts of his crimes. Though he’s not much of a threat most of the year, take care on those special days, as Calendar Man will have a grisly plan in motion that will turn your day off work into a permanent position.

Chances of Appearing: 3/10

I agree with Enigma's Potential Role, that would make the game interesting well past the end of the storyline and I had a thought on the issue of capturing him every time. It could work if you would visit Calendar Man in a cell on certain days, and then you would play through a flashback of a crime from that day that Batman foiled...that way it all happened in the past and he doesn't have to break out of prison once a month. Just a thought :alfred:
Check out the Batman: Arkhamverse facebook page! http://www.facebook.com/BatmanArkhamverse
Hush__

Favourite Villain: Hush
Favourite Graphic Novel: Hush/TheKillingJoke

Next

Return to Arkhamverse Villains