Arkhamverse Allies #23: Matches Malone

Explore and learn more about Batman's allies in the Arkhamverse.

Arkhamverse Allies #23: Matches Malone

Postby Red_Robin » May 12th, 2012, 11:21 am

Real Name - Bruce Wayne
Occupation - Criminal and con-man
Based in - Gotham City
Eye Colour - Blue
Hair Colour - Black
Height - 6 ft 2 in
Weight - 210 lbs
First Appearance - Batman #242 (June 1972)
Attributes
- undercover alias of the Batman
- often plays with and chews on matches
- a shady, yet respected, reputation amongst criminals

Arkham City Bio
n/a

Additional Information
Matches Malone came to Gotham with his brother Carver early on in Batman's career. Small time arsonists and racketeers, they attracted the Batman's attention in a bungled attempt to burn a building, during which Carver was apparently murdered. Matches was suspected, but there was not enough evidence to make the conviction and Matches was released. Batman later found what appeared to be Matches' dead body in another fire, which was apparently set by himself. Batman didn't report the death because at the time, he had been attempting to establish an undercover criminal alias for himself to help him gather intelligence on the criminal community, but the mistrust that spread amongst criminals meant that nobody would recruit someone they hadn't heard of. Batman decided to adopt Matches' identity and use his reputation for his own devices.

Possible role in Arkham 3
As the game begins we see Matches Malone (Bruce Wayne) being accepting into a new gang, the leader of which is surrounded by rumour. We see him pacing down the corridor, a thug talking to him about the 'joint' you're in. The corridor comes to an end and before him stands two double doors. The thug remarks casually, "Your fate lies behind those doors," before taking the match from Malone's mouth and lighting up a cigar. Malone pushing through the door to a large pit beyond, with a floor riddled with what looks to be sprinklers set it the floor. Large vats stand towering over you. What's inside them is not yet known. On a walkway above a skinny figure stands erect, his face hidden by a thick shadow. On surrounding balconies, thugs stand leaning on the rails and picking their teeth. They cheer when Malone enters, but quiet down when the skinny figure talks in a muffled voice. "The next test subject has arrived, Croc, give him a quick one over, make sure his quite sane. Croc cannot be seen from where Malone stands, but his heavy breathing can be heard. The 'sprinklers' turn on and mist shoots out from them, and grainy brown fog. Croc's figure can be seen as a black blurry shadow in the mist. Malone's vision blurs to a convulsion of different colours. The darkness seems to close in around him. He runs and hides behind the four larges vats in a repeated pattern as the Killer Croc stalks him. Out of desperation, Malone lights up a match (the only item displayed in your inventory), and the mist and darkness burns away in a flurry of flame. The skinny growls in a muffled voice, "Kill him" and Malone wastes no time in making for the door. His vision is smoky now, pulsating violently red. Malone fly kicks the door, smashing them on their hinges, and begins to sprint down the corridor. The thug who gave you the tour before shouts in outrage before being smashed aside by a hulking, pursuing Killer Croc. Sound in pounding in and out of focus and Malone tries to out run the green beast. With Croc about to make the kill, Malone bursts from the building and runs into a police spotlight, before vanishing down a tight alleyway. Croc's howls of rage can be heard as a panting Matches Malone quickly brushes soggy cardboard boxes and trash off the sleek batmobile, and climbs into the car; his heart pounding in his ears as he pulls the heavy Batsuit over him and makes his way back to the Batcave, setting the car on autopilot whilst the throbbing lights intensify into white nothingness... Thanks to anonymous person.

Essential reading
Batman #588-590

Chances of appearing in Arkham3
2/10
Red_Robin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: No Man's Land

Re: Arkhamverse Allies #23: Matches Malone

Postby The Dark Crusader » Jun 15th, 2012, 12:47 pm

4/10

Possible Role: Matches Malone is a rising crime lord, providing to be a thorn in Batman's side. Soon after his start, Batman attempts to take him down, but is beaten to the punch by the mysterious Red Hood, who burns down Malone's base-of-operations, killing him in the process. Shortly afterwards, Black Mask takes control of Matches crime ring, and begins systematically controling most of the organized crime in Gotham City. Bruce Wayne sees Matches death as a golden opportunity, and uses Malone's identity to risse through the ranks of Black Mask's gang. Everything goes well, until Black Mask's crew brings in a group of Two Face's gang to be executed. Matches, of course, denies, and Bruce's cover is blown. Black Mask shuts down the building that they are in, and Bruce has to fight his way out, without using any of the Dark Knight's skills, in fear of revealing his darkest secret.
"My father was convinced the world wasn't ready...what do you think?"
The Dark Crusader

Favourite Villain: Ra's Al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman: RIP

Postby Benji » Jun 15th, 2012, 2:37 pm

I love these database topics, you get to find out so much more about Batman characters!

I can't judge as I've never heard of Matches Malone.

Storms come and go. The big fish eat the little fish and I keep on paddling.
Benji

Favourite Villain: Team Rocket
Favourite Graphic Novel: Long Halloween

Postby arkhamcitydood » Jun 15th, 2012, 2:39 pm

Matches Malone was featured in one of the Arkham prequel comics am I right?

Chances of Appearing: 5/10
Possible Role: To investigate a crime. But I think he should be used in the intro of the game, and only the intro. It would be weird to see him in anything else.
arkhamcitydood

Favourite Villain: Penguin

Postby jaga 321 » Jun 15th, 2012, 3:54 pm

The Dark Crusader wrote:4/10

Possible Role: Matches Malone is a rising crime lord, providing to be a thorn in Batman's side. Soon after his start, Batman attempts to take him down, but is beaten to the punch by the mysterious Red Hood, who burns down Malone's base-of-operations, killing him in the process. Shortly afterwards, Black Mask takes control of Matches crime ring, and begins systematically controling most of the organized crime in Gotham City. Bruce Wayne sees Matches death as a golden opportunity, and uses Malone's identity to risse through the ranks of Black Mask's gang. Everything goes well, until Black Mask's crew brings in a group of Two Face's gang to be executed. Matches, of course, denies, and Bruce's cover is blown. Black Mask shuts down the building that they are in, and Bruce has to fight his way out, without using any of the Dark Knight's skills, in fear of revealing his darkest secret.

matches malone and batman are the same person, sorry to ruin your possible role though. :)

3/10

role: with bruces mental sdability going down with all he has been through he finnally goes off the rails, and reverts to his matches malone allies and becomes obbsessed with drinking and gambling, bruce must rise, and return to save gotham once and for all.
jaga 321

Postby The Dark Crusader » Jun 15th, 2012, 4:09 pm

jaga 321 wrote:

matches malone and batman are the same person, sorry to ruin your possible role though. :)

3/10

role: with bruces mental sdability going down with all he has been through he finnally goes off the rails, and reverts to his matches malone allies and becomes obbsessed with drinking and gambling, bruce must rise, and return to save gotham once and for all.

He wasn't at first. Read the bio, he was a crime boss.
"My father was convinced the world wasn't ready...what do you think?"
The Dark Crusader

Favourite Villain: Ra's Al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman: RIP

Postby Anonymous Person » Jun 15th, 2012, 4:38 pm

Possible Role: As the game begins we see Matches Malone (Bruce Wayne) being accepting into a new gang, the leader of which is surrounded by rumour. We see him pacing down the corridor, a thug talking to him about the 'joint' you're in. The corridor comes to an end and before him stands two double doors. The thug remarks casually, "Your fate lies behind those doors," before taking the match from Malone's mouth and lighting up a cigar. Malone pushing through the door to a large pit beyond, with a floor riddled with what looks to be sprinklers set it the floor. Large vats stand towering over you. What's inside them is not yet known. On a walkway above a skinny figure stands erect, his face hidden by a thick shadow. On surrounding balconies, thugs stand leaning on the rails and picking their teeth. They cheer when Malone enters, but quiet down when the skinny figure talks in a muffled voice. "The next test subject has arrived, Croc, give him a quick one over, make sure his quite sane. Croc cannot be seen from where Malone stands, but his heavy breathing can be heard. The 'sprinklers' turn on and mist shoots out from them, and grainy brown fog. Croc's figure can be seen as a black blurry shadow in the mist. Malone's vision blurs to a convulsion of different colours. The darkness seems to close in around him. He runs and hides behind the four larges vats in a repeated pattern as the Killer Croc stalks him. Out of desperation, Malone lights up a match (the only item displayed in your inventory), and the mist and darkness burns away in a flurry of flame. The skinny growls in a muffled voice, "Kill him" and Malone wastes no time in making for the door. His vision is smoky now, pulsating violently red. Malone fly kicks the door, smashing them on their hinges, and begins to sprint down the corridor. The thug who gave you the tour before shouts in outrage before being smashed aside by a hulking, pursuing Killer Croc. Sound in pounding in and out of focus and Malone tries to out run the green beast. With Croc about to make the kill, Malone bursts from the building and runs into a police spotlight, before vanishing down a tight alleyway. Croc's howls of rage can be heard as a panting Matches Malone quickly brushes soggy cardboard boxes and trash off the sleek batmobile, and climbs into the car; his heart pounding in his ears as he pulls the heavy Batsuit over him and makes his way back to the Batcave, setting the car on autopilot whilst the throbbing lights intensify into white nothingness...
No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, yes.
Anonymous Person

Favourite Villain: Mr Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Year One

Postby BoyWonder1234 » Jun 15th, 2012, 4:48 pm

I was expecting you to enter Arkham City as Matches, not Bruce Wayne.
If he wasn't here this game, he won't be here next game I would have thought, unless the next game involves Bruce's identity being compromised in any way.

Chances of appearing : 3/10.
BoyWonder1234

Favourite Villain: Anti-Suave Man
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman : Suave

Postby Maultest » Jun 15th, 2012, 4:54 pm

I would love to play as matches malone. but i highly doubt he will show up.

3/10
Accepting Signature/Avatar Requests! PM me
Maultest

Favourite Villain: Hush/Deathstroke
Favourite Graphic Novel: Heart of Hush

Postby cutchin43 » Jun 15th, 2012, 7:21 pm

Wow, I've never even heard of Matches Malone before. You guys are really going all out with these databases, I'm impressed.
cutchin43

Favourite Villain: Two-Face
Favourite Graphic Novel: Knightfall

Postby CreedMorganna » Jun 15th, 2012, 10:23 pm

Possibile Role: that matches is a con-man in gotham that has caught Batman's attention but after a confrontation against the Black Mask causes Matches to owe batman his life and acts as an informant for him giving him info on the biggest crime lords in the city given batman leaves him alone as long as he doesn't commit any hard crimes.
Chances of appearance 4/10
Chances of my Possible Role: .00025/10
Victory always comes at a sacrifice, what will yours be?
CreedMorganna

Favourite Villain: The Joker (YSoSrius)
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Man Who Laughs

Postby MrHolmes623 » Jun 15th, 2012, 11:36 pm

that would be a great new opening scene for Arkham 3
MrHolmes623

Favourite Villain: Mr Freeze
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman/Judge Dredd

Postby M. Malone » Jun 16th, 2012, 5:04 am

It's about time I finally got my due! ;)
10pm... I feel the rain coming down. My face feels wet, my mind the storm.
Flashing lights as people race to find shelter from the pour.
Moving silent, through the streets - They're Mine!.... They're mine...
M. Malone

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: The Long Halloween

Postby Moose24x » Jun 16th, 2012, 6:17 am

The Dark Crusader wrote:
jaga 321 wrote:

3/10

He wasn't at first. Read the bio, he was a crime boss.

Yes, the words "small time arsonist" immediately lead me to think "crime boss" as well. He was a nobody. Batman isn't impersonating a crime boss when he uses the Matches Malone character, he's impersonating a nobody, just trying to get in with the regular joes of the criminal world or get accepted into an actual crime boss' gang. The only reason he used Malone is because other criminals wouldn't hire a goon they'd never heard of, so he adopted an identity that already had a presence in Gotham. If Matches Malone were to appear in an Arkham game, it would be as an easter egg, or as Bruce undercover.
Moose24x

Favourite Villain: Two Face
Favourite Graphic Novel: Long Halloween

Postby Batboy » Jun 16th, 2012, 9:32 am

he won't be in A3 ..maybe only as a little little cameo
Batboy

Favourite Villain: Scarecrow Mad Hatter
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman Hush

Next

Return to Arkhamverse Allies