DC Animated Universe: Batman Hush

Express your love for TDK, your hate for Batman and Robin or your TDKR anticipation. This is the place to discuss The Batman movies.

DC Animated Universe: Batman Hush

Postby gary2692 » Nov 19th, 2013, 4:19 pm

How do you think an animated adaptation of the Graphic Novel: Batman Hush would turn out. What would it be like? What do YOU think they'll miss out? Will it be a set into two films like Batman: The Dark Knight Returns?
And most of all, will they do it?
Share YOUR thought!
:joker:

Batman: Arkham Origins The Official Novelization. Read on "Our Arkhamverse" now!
gary2692

Favourite Villain: The Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Knight Returns

Re: DC Animated Universe: Batman Hush

Postby batman404 » Nov 19th, 2013, 4:44 pm

I really like Hush (both the story and the character), but if DC/WB made an animated movie featuring Tommy Elliot, I'd much rather Heart of Hush. It'd be easier to condense into a single film, and in my opinion it's a better story.
batman404

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: YOne and TDKReturns

Postby AW8 » Nov 20th, 2013, 3:07 am

batman404 wrote:I really like Hush (both the story and the character), but if DC/WB made an animated movie featuring Tommy Elliot, I'd much rather Heart of Hush. It'd be easier to condense into a single film, and in my opinion it's a better story.

I agree. Hush is pretty good, the art is world class and the story is, overall, decent. But Hush barely appears in the story and the ending is pretty tame and wouldn't do justice for an self-contained animated movie.

If they were to make a Hush movie, I'd have them take inspiration from the Hush comics rather than doing a straight up adaption. They should take some elements from both Hush and Heart of Hush. Hush's facial surgery is needed, for example. That really shows his hatred/obsession for Batman.
"All the martial arts ninja training in the world doesn't matter a tinker's damn. The only thing that counts is whether or not you have the will to do what needs to be done. " -Black Mask
AW8

Favourite Villain: Bane
Favourite Graphic Novel: Year One

Postby Harvey Bullock » Nov 20th, 2013, 4:14 pm

I thought the Graphic Novel was really mediocre, and no, this isn't me hopping on the 'cool to hate Hush' bandwagon that people seem to think there is, I just don't think It's a very fun story.

Heart of Hush is infinitely better I must say.
Harvey Bullock

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: DC: The New Frontier

Postby Pieter » Nov 20th, 2013, 6:46 pm

I wantTLH and Dark Victory more than Hush as Animated film :p
I died once. It was boring, so I stood up
Pieter

Favourite Graphic Novel: The Black Mirror

Postby Peel » Nov 21st, 2013, 12:10 pm

Harvey Bullock wrote:I thought the Graphic Novel was really mediocre, and no, this isn't me hopping on the 'cool to hate Hush' bandwagon that people seem to think there is, I just don't think It's a very fun story.

Heart of Hush is infinitely better I must say.

A combination of the two would definitely be best. Start off with Hush's apparent death at the hands of the Joker after Catwoman is horrendously beaten up, and have the Joker almost break his one rule to kill him. But instead, as Hush begins his grand plot of bringing all the villains together to destroy Batman, have him grow agitated at the idea that Batman was more concerned about killing Joker, simply because he forced him to knock out Catwoman, and her life would be forever endangered.

Hush would then start a game of sorts to "Test who you (Batman) cares for most) and try to kill off all of Batman's allies in the same night. Examples would include Catwoman's heart surgery with Mr Freeze, Huntress having too much of Scarecrow's fear serum, Clayface Jason Todd kidnapping Tim Drake, and the Riddler trying to reveal Nightwing's identity through hacking, as well as the Clocktower being invaded by Killer Croc.

Keep the original ending with the bridge, Harold and Harvey Dent the same as well though, that was definitely one of the few best scenes in the whole book imo.
Peel

Favourite Villain: Black Adam
Favourite Graphic Novel: Forever Evil

Postby Bane » Nov 21st, 2013, 11:53 pm

I would kind of be annoyed if this happened.

The story just unnecessarily uses a ton of villains all for the sole purpose of Hush faking his own death just to kill one character who was of very little significance in the Bat universe and then failing to kill Batman.

If anything the story did that contributed to the universe was the bit with Batman/Catwoman. Even the whole Harvey dent getting his face fixed only lasted like... two seconds...

They shouldn't just make animated movies simply because the story is popular. Stories like Year one, The Dark Knight Returns, and even Flashpoint were made simply because they had a massive impact on the universe of the characters. In hush the only event of importance that happens is Batman and Catwoman getting together, literally everything else basically went nowhere, except for Hush becoming a good villain which was in Heart of Hush.

And there are tons of other Batman stories which are desperately asking for animated adaptations... Killing Joke... Long Halloween/Dark Victory... even Knightfall

Honestly it makes more sense for them to be making a movie about the mediocre new 52 Justice League than it does for them to make a Hush movie.
Bane

Favourite Graphic Novel: Knightfall

Postby Pieter » Nov 22nd, 2013, 6:17 pm

^ Awesome burn :oldyella:
Pieter

Postby Peel » Nov 22nd, 2013, 11:24 pm

Bane wrote:I would kind of be annoyed if this happened.

The story just unnecessarily uses a ton of villains all for the sole purpose of Hush faking his own death just to kill one character who was of very little significance in the Bat universe and then failing to kill Batman.

If anything the story did that contributed to the universe was the bit with Batman/Catwoman. Even the whole Harvey dent getting his face fixed only lasted like... two seconds...

They shouldn't just make animated movies simply because the story is popular. Stories like Year one, The Dark Knight Returns, and even Flashpoint were made simply because they had a massive impact on the universe of the characters. In hush the only event of importance that happens is Batman and Catwoman getting together, literally everything else basically went nowhere, except for Hush becoming a good villain which was in Heart of Hush.

And there are tons of other Batman stories which are desperately asking for animated adaptations... Killing Joke... Long Halloween/Dark Victory... even Knightfall

Honestly it makes more sense for them to be making a movie about the mediocre new 52 Justice League than it does for them to make a Hush movie.

With regards to your view on the novel using a tone of villains for the sole purpose of Hush faking his death and trying to ruin Batman, isn't Knightfall quite similar? Bane breaks out all of the villains at Arkham to tire out Batman, then finishes him off, and the rest of the story involves Batman and Jean Paul Valley resolving their differences as the later tries to break free from the influence of the system? And couldn't you just argue at the same time, that the story's only biggest impacts on the comic's universe was showing Bruce's strengths in improving himself and the birth of another villain, just like the hush novel?

Yes, the Hush novel doesn't offer that much groundbreaking change to the DC comic universe, but the same can be argued for Long Halloween/Dark Victory and Knightfall; the Long Halloween series involved the birth of Two Face, another Batman/Catwoman romance, and Dark Victory only breaks the mold by introducing Robin. Knightfall I've already discussed, and Killing Joke I guess would be acceptable, with Batgirl becoming Oracle and the Joker's apparent origins being revealed.

With the direction the animated films are going with the new 52, we likely won't see an adaption of this Hush novel, however once they reintroduce the character and make another storyline with him, it is probable that an adaption could be made. But I honestly believe Hush has the same chances of becoming an animated film as does Knightfall and Long Halloween, however slim atm.
Peel

Postby Bane » Nov 22nd, 2013, 11:39 pm

I-am-the-Peel wrote:

With regards to your view on the novel using a tone of villains for the sole purpose of Hush faking his death and trying to ruin Batman, isn't Knightfall quite similar? Bane breaks out all of the villains at Arkham to tire out Batman, then finishes him off, and the rest of the story involves Batman and Jean Paul Valley resolving their differences as the later tries to break free from the influence of the system? And couldn't you just argue at the same time, that the story's only biggest impacts on the comic's universe was showing Bruce's strengths in improving himself and the birth of another villain, just like the hush novel?

So basically you just further helped show my point by explaining how Hush is basically a copy of Knightfall. except the villain failed whereas Bane succeeded. Knightfall lasted a couple years, and had massive storyline that stretched across several different titles. If anything it's a perfect example of what Hush should have been. The use of all the villains in Knightfall was justified because of how long the story was, and they all served purposes later on when Jean Paul valley was Batman. In Hush they all show up to do like... one or two things at most in a single issue, in Knightfall they all had at least one or two issues each. It's also kind of hilarious how Knightfall and hush are almost ten years apart and they both feature Batman wailing on Joker while thinking about Jason, Barbara, etc.

Another problem with Hush is not only because it is a poor man's Knightfall, it's almost a copy of Long Halloween and Dark Victory, except in hush, the killer is so obvious right from the beginning seeing as how the only new character introduced was Thomas Elliot, and as soon as a character like Clayface showed up that practically gave it away. Long Halloween and Dark Victory both had two very important events such as the creation of Two-face/Robin, and the deaths of important characters like Carmine/Alberto Falcone. Literally nothing of significance really happens in hush. And the one thing it actually did do (Batman/Catwoman romance) was going to happen sooner or later anyway.

Basically Hush is just a fusion of Knightfall, Dark Victory, and Long Halloween, except with a much weaker story that doesn't really add anything new to the comics, and a villain who was put to much better use by Paul Dini in Heart of Hush, which is honestly what I was expecting the Hush story to be about after reading his Bio in Arkham Asylum.
Bane

Postby Peel » Nov 22nd, 2013, 11:46 pm

Bane wrote:
I-am-the-Peel wrote:

So basically you just further helped show my point by explaining how Hush is basically a copy of Knightfall. except the villain failed whereas Bane succeeded. Knightfall lasted a couple years, and had massive storyline that stretched across several different titles. If anything it's a perfect example of what Hush should have been. The use of all the villains in Knightfall was justified because of how long the story was, and they all served purposes later on when Jean Paul valley was Batman. In Hush they all show up to do like... one or two things at most in a single issue, in Knightfall they all had at least one or two issues each. It's also kind of hilarious how Knightfall and hush are almost ten years apart and they both feature Batman wailing on Joker while thinking about Jason, Barbara, etc.

Another problem with Hush is not only because it is a poor man's Knightfall, it's almost a copy of Long Halloween and Dark Victory, except in hush, the killer is so obvious right from the beginning seeing as how the only new character introduced was Thomas Elliot, and as soon as a character like Clayface showed up that practically gave it away. Long Halloween and Dark Victory both had two very important events such as the creation of Two-face/Robin, and the deaths of important characters like Carmine/Alberto Falcone. Literally nothing of significance really happens in hush. And the one thing it actually did do (Batman/Catwoman romance) was going to happen sooner or later anyway.

Basically Hush is just a fusion of Knightfall, Dark Victory, and Long Halloween, except with a much weaker story that doesn't really add anything new to the comics, and a villain who was put to much better use by Paul Dini in Heart of Hush, which is honestly what I was expecting the Hush story to be about after reading his Bio in Arkham Asylum.

I've got nothing new to argue here, I'm agreeing with what you say when I think about it in more depth, and I'm glad you mentioned Heart of Hush. You win, good sir :alfred:

Peel

Postby Bane » Nov 22nd, 2013, 11:47 pm

I-am-the-Peel wrote:
Bane wrote:
I-am-the-Peel wrote:

I've got nothing new to argue here, I'm agreeing with what you say when I think about it in more depth, and I'm glad you mentioned Heart of Hush. You win, good sir :alfred:

are you really agreeing with or just letting me win so you don't have to bother trying to get through my thick skull? :croc:
Bane

Postby The Scarred Side » Nov 23rd, 2013, 4:24 am

I for one really dont mind HUSH. Its a fun read if your bored. I really dont understand the attraction towards Heart of Hush for most people. Can somone please explain how Heart of Hush is better?

Check out my Review of The Hunger Games here http://forums.arkhamverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=22617
The Scarred Side

Postby Harvey Bullock » Nov 23rd, 2013, 10:12 am

Nah, you just made some rather fantastic arguments Bane. :oldyella:

I always saw Hush as copying story elements from Knightfall. One of the key themes in both novels is about Batman accepting his allies help, and Knightfall does it much better.

I'd quite like to see some Elseworlds stories adapted, like Thrillkiller, but I still believe Green Arrow: Year One needs an animated adaption.
Harvey Bullock

Favourite Villain: Ra's al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: DC: The New Frontier

Postby Pieter » Nov 23rd, 2013, 12:33 pm

Aquaman is getting a Animated film so I'm happy :)

-- Nov 23rd, 2013, 12:47 pm --

Aquaman is getting a Animated fulm so I'm happy :)
Pieter

Next

Return to Batman Movies Discussion