Seasons of Infamy Pros and Cons

Spoiler Warning! Please keep spoilers for Arkham Knight & its DLC contained within this subforum.
One rule: NO SPOILERS IN TOPIC TITLES

Seasons of Infamy Pros and Cons

Postby pukipuki » Dec 26th, 2015, 8:06 am

So, I watched the SOI walkthroughs on BAV. Thought it was quite alright... Wanted to give some reviews but cant seem to find an appropriate thread. So here are my pros and cons on each missions.

Shadow war:

Pros:
- Male members of the league of assassins! Even though they suck (not being sexist or anything, but it was a weird all female league on Arkham city...)
- A crime scene! (also a con)
- Decisions! (also a con)
- Nyssa! (also a con)
- Crazy-ass Ninjas!!!!!!!
- The dialogue. Was pretty rad.

Cons:
-No predator mission! I dont know why but hunting ninjas stealthily would be really cool! They would throw shurikens when Batman gets spotted. they would be ultra alert. Better, Imagine a boss fight where detective visions malfunctions and the league is hunting you instead of you hunting them! Ninjas are stealthy, not all martial arts!
- The crime scene. Wasnt it a bit too long and tedious?
- No real closure on Talia! So she is dead. Done? Ra's saved himself and not his daughter? Is he really that freaking Selfish? And the fact that Nyssa kept taking her name made it a whole lot worse. Otherwise she was alright.
- Stupid decision segment! Like the Azreal choice. Shitty segment.

Freeze (forgot the official name):

Pros:
- Good guy Fries.
- Nora? Awake? (also a con)
- the ending was sweet.

Cons:
- The length. It was too short only elongated by the the locations to the mission points which were too far apart from one another.
- I thought Nora would straight up die if she was free from that container. Now it seems like Fries and Nora has the same disease! Then why didnt he make a super suit for Nora? She would be awake and also be able to help him. Suddenly he became a guy I sympathised with a lot less than before...
- Tank battle? Plus logic? I thought Freeze had blasted that generator which startled Batman and Nora in the first place! Did he have two generators?

Mad hatter:

Pros:
- The car sirens idea was sorta cool.
- Awesome idea. Going through the books of arkham. (has one small con)
- The goon models! Loved to see those Asylum thugs pop back into actions!

Pros:
- Too short. Elongated by the tedious bomb hacking thigamajiger!
- The book of arkham should have had a nod to Origins as well right? They did say it was canon! Plus the hatter mission of Origins was so cool. Was a bit disappointed.
- The ending was just random. Boom he snaps out of it! no good transitions,

Croc;
- Dem feels. Highly unexpected.
- Nightwing has a good amount of screentime. His jokes were also sorta on point.
- The double team beatdown. (also the biggest con)
- That one jumpscare. Even though I saw it coming from a while away, it took me back to asylum for a bit.
- Find the parachute was a cool thing

Cons:
- I dont want any other cons to be on the list other than the huge one. It was a great misision all the way through! The build up was awesome. You feel bad for croc. You know youre gonna get that warden! But croc cant go around eating guards! So I was thrilled to see rocksteady back on their storytelling genious ranks! And with the airship sinking I thought it was a given that it would go old school and give us a water based boss fight. Imagine Nightwing in the mix. You walk along a path and Croc jumps out to grab you. You gotta work fast to change into the other character and free your buddy to dish out a sweet beatdown! Like the ones we already saw against Albert King. Then I saw the battle which was a total rehash of the Albert king Battle with Nightwing. You would think a huge Crocodile man would be tougher than the Mountain from game of thrones. Heck, a land battle with croc made sense in origins because he was still quite human at that point. BUT A GIANT CROCODILE WHO DOESN'T EVEN RESEMBLE A HUMAN IN ANY WAYS AND LITERALLY RUNS ON ALL FOURS! I WAS PISSED. Would rather have shot him with my tank than a cheap rehash. Why make such a cool story when the payoff is such shit!!!!!

But seriously, I still would play them all had I the chance! But who am I to hold grudges. I'd like to see you guys review too if you have the Time!
"I'm Batman"- Batman
pukipuki

Favourite Villain: TWO-FACE
Favourite Graphic Novel: The long hallowing

Re: Seasons of Infamy Pros and Cons

Postby RAID3N » Dec 26th, 2015, 7:35 pm

ikr, Croc's side mission might the worst in the whole game, not just SOI.

Remember how cool Croc's boss battle was in Asylum and how Batman was smart enough not to fist fight Croc because he is twice normal human's size and can kill even Bruce almost instantly when in close contact? And now when Croc is even more of a beast in all senses, we have a dumb battle with him.

I mean one could justify it by Nightwing being there, compared to when Bruce faced him alone in Asylum, but that's kind of a stretch imho...
formerly BartMan992
RAID3N

Favourite Villain: Deathstroke/Owlman

Postby DatBat » Dec 26th, 2015, 7:42 pm

RAID3N wrote:ikr, Croc's side mission might the worst in the whole game, not just SOI.

Remember how cool Croc's boss battle was in Asylum and how Batman was smart enough not to fist fight Croc because he is twice normal human's size and can kill even Bruce almost instantly when in close contact? And now when Croc is even more of a beast in all senses, we have a dumb battle with him.

I mean one could justify it by Nightwing being there, compared to when Bruce faced him alone in Asylum, but that's kind of a stretch imho...

To me, that honor would either go to the Hatter mission for being repetitive and not explaining the one interesting part, the Hush mission for being a few minutes, or the monotonous militia missions that lead up to the greatest combatant of Batman's adversaries, Deathstroke, only to fight him in a Cloudburst Tank battle clone. The Croc mission wasn't amazing by any standard, but it was better than those.
DatBat

Favourite Villain: Clayface

Postby JordanT4021 » Dec 26th, 2015, 9:27 pm

Pretty accurate analysis here but some points irked me a little.
I don't really understand why the fact the league is full of women is a problem. The League of assassins is the only source of female thugs throughout the entirety of the games. You don't see any females in the militia, or in Two face or Penguin's crew. In my opinion, they should have kept it all female simply for that reason.

Nora and Fries don't have the same disease. Nora's illness is incurable and she'll die from it in several days. Victor doesn't have a disease that I know of. He simply dies if he isn't in subzero temperatures. He deactivated his suit so he could die with his wife when her time is up.

The fact that Ra's al Ghul kills his daughter (Nyssa) if you choose to administer the cure shows he is a very selfish man. He cares only for himself and for his mission. Family is just a way to ensure his legacy continues in his eyes, but Nyssa refused to continue his mission.

Apart from this I totally agree. The biggest negative I have against SOI is that there were still no boss fights. I personally thought this was the whole point in the DLC. I assumed, much like the challenge maps and the playable characters, Rocksteady had taken them out to capitalise on them later on. Especially when you consider that these 4 villains have always had the strongest and most memorable confrontations in previous games.
JordanT4021

Favourite Villain: Poison Ivy
Favourite Graphic Novel: Wonder Woman: Blood

Postby pukipuki » Dec 27th, 2015, 6:19 am

JordanT4021 wrote:Pretty accurate analysis here but some points irked me a little.
I don't really understand why the fact the league is full of women is a problem. The League of assassins is the only source of female thugs throughout the entirety of the games. You don't see any females in the militia, or in Two face or Penguin's crew. In my opinion, they should have kept it all female simply for that reason.

Nora and Fries don't have the same disease. Nora's illness is incurable and she'll die from it in several days. Victor doesn't have a disease that I know of. He simply dies if he isn't in subzero temperatures. He deactivated his suit so he could die with his wife when her time is up.

The fact that Ra's al Ghul kills his daughter (Nyssa) if you choose to administer the cure shows he is a very selfish man. He cares only for himself and for his mission. Family is just a way to ensure his legacy continues in his eyes, but Nyssa refused to continue his mission.

Apart from this I totally agree. The biggest negative I have against SOI is that there were still no boss fights. I personally thought this was the whole point in the DLC. I assumed, much like the challenge maps and the playable characters, Rocksteady had taken them out to capitalise on them later on. Especially when you consider that these 4 villains have always had the strongest and most memorable confrontations in previous games.

I am not such a big comic reader but I saw the latest Batman animated movies, saw there were male ninjas. Still, I dont have any probs with an all female league. Just it was never addressed why and seemed like the case only too please some female gamers to show that the toughest thugs of the game were female.

The way the line of Fries was delivered... I thought it was "We wont have much time, days" seemed like he had the same disease and he would die with Nora, together. I dont know, youre probably right. Silly me.

For Ra's Al Ghul, we hear a tape (I saw someone post it in the easter eggs thread) where Ra's tells Talia (I'm not sure) if Bruce can't succeed him, she must take his place. So after Bruce didnt do it, and Talia died, he still revived himself! Doesnt make any sense. I know he is selfish but the guy is so old he wants to die. Why he wanted Batman to kill him in the first place.

And I forgot a con in the croc mission. The warden who was captured being so mysterious annoyed me a lot. THIS IS THE LAST GAME!!! NO MORE REASON TO KEEP SECRETS!!! TELL ME WHO THE POW HIRED YOU TO DO THESE EXPERIMENTS YOU INCONSIDERATE WHAM!!!!!

I did not expect boss fights. I think this new engine they built this game upon was hard to master, harder to create boss battles with. So they had to give up the gameplay aspects to be any better and tried to make up for it storywise. And without Paul Dini that in itself became a challenge. Still, I will always love Rocksteady for the standard for Superhero games they have created that we get to criticize on this game when there are such shittier games we are fine with.
"I'm Batman"- Batman
pukipuki

Favourite Villain: TWO-FACE
Favourite Graphic Novel: The long hallowing

Return to Arkham Knight SPOILER ZONE