The Killing Joke animated movie announced!

Express your love for TDK, your hate for Batman and Robin or your TDKR anticipation. This is the place to discuss The Batman movies.

Re: The Killing Joke animated movie announced!

Postby batman404 » Jul 21st, 2015, 2:18 pm

For anyone interested, this is Grant Morrison's interpretation of The Killing Joke's ending (seeing as it's currently the topic of conversation).

It's definitely an interesting notion, and one I'm not willing to disagree with.
batman404

Favourite Villain: Joker
Favourite Graphic Novel: YOne and TDKReturns

Postby Arkham Knight » Jul 21st, 2015, 3:40 pm

Hamil ? Where are you ?!
"I've waited long enough! Batman dies...tonight!"
Arkham Knight

Favourite Villain: The Riddler
Favourite Graphic Novel: Batman Year One

Postby Quinn » Jul 22nd, 2015, 10:40 am

Let me clear some stuff up for my friend Gary and you guys. Here's the script, so taking it from Alan Moore's own words Batman's collapsed on Joker, laughing due to the absurdity of the situation and how this is one rare moment of peaceful contact with his arch-nemesis, understanding they'll eventually kill each other one day--but clearly not today. Grant Morrison only had to do one quick Google search.

Spoiler: show

I loathe you. You have no manners, you're arrogant, and conceited, and I wrote you a letter about it, in fact.
Quinn

Favourite Villain: Plotz
Favourite Graphic Novel: Plotz

Postby ChaosThe15th » Jul 22nd, 2015, 9:26 pm

^If Moore truly wanted to leave the ending ambiguous with the ending only hinting at a possiblility being Batman killing the Joker, he wouldnt have put in the script.

Woooo!
http://collider.com/batman-the-killing- ... ing-joker/
ChaosThe15th

Favourite Villain: Mr. Freeze

Postby Remote Claw » Mar 14th, 2016, 11:14 pm

http://batman-news.com/2016/03/14/killi ... irst-look/

First look at Batman: The Killing Joke, Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill confirmed

Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill are officially coming back to voice the animated adaptation of Batman: The Killing Joke!

“The chance to work once again with Kevin Conroy, my favorite Batman, in what some consider the definitive origin of this iconic villain is a dream come true for me,” Hamill said in a statement to CBR. “I am beyond thrilled to return as The Joker in ‘The Killing Joke!'”

“I’ve had the great privilege of voicing Batman for more than two decades, and some of my favorite moments in the recording booth have been alongside Mark Hamill,” Conroy added. “Mark always enables me to be a better actor. I’m thrilled that we’re both back to bring these characters to life in one of the most heralded Batman/Joker stories of all time.”

Tara Strong will voice Barbara Gordon/Batgirl and Ray Wise will voice Commissioner Gordon in Batman: The Killing Joke.

Mark Hamill shared the very first image from the new movie on Twitter. Check it out!

Just a heads up. If you do click on the link, I wouldn't scroll down to the comments. Apparently, spoilers for Batman v Superman are getting out. Just in case.
Remote Claw

Favourite Villain: The Joker

Postby MaxSchreck » Mar 14th, 2016, 11:40 pm

Well, you can´t see much but from what you can see it looks pretty good. Nice to see a new original Animation Style instead of the generic Anime one, even though I´ve started to get used to it.

...and why is it so important to know what ending Moore actually intended? Or which we are going to see in the movie? The picture in the comic certainly allows the reader to interpret it both ways. Personally though I lean more towards the theory that Bruce did not kill him.

"You may have invented being Robin , but I perfected it ." - Damian Wayne
MaxSchreck

Postby TheJester » Mar 15th, 2016, 2:00 am

Glad to finally get confirmation that Hamill and Conroy are returning, it's something the fans have always wanted. I'm a little bummed that they didn't go for the realistic style of Brian Bolland's artwork, but I understand that would be difficult to animate, so the style they've gone for actually works really well, and still looks a lot like Bolland's work. Tara Strong as Batgirl too? This is going to be fantastic!
~ I'm not mad, I'm just differently sane. ~
Check out my latest fanfic, Clipped Wings, here!
TheJester

Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Postby AW8 » Mar 15th, 2016, 8:39 pm

Hamill, Conroy and Strong are perfect casting and my own preferred choices. So that's awesome to hear. :adam:

TheJester wrote:I'm a little bummed that they didn't go for the realistic style of Brian Bolland's artwork, but I understand that would be difficult to animate, so the style they've gone for actually works really well, and still looks a lot like Bolland's work.

Looks similar to Under the Red Hood, which had great art style. I started thinking of Bruce Greenwood instead of Conroy the second I saw the image!
"All the martial arts ninja training in the world doesn't matter a tinker's damn. The only thing that counts is whether or not you have the will to do what needs to be done. " -Black Mask
AW8

Favourite Villain: Bane
Favourite Graphic Novel: Year One

Postby DatBat » Mar 16th, 2016, 3:01 am

AW8 wrote:Hamill, Conroy and Strong are perfect casting and my own preferred choices. So that's awesome to hear. :adam:

TheJester wrote:I'm a little bummed that they didn't go for the realistic style of Brian Bolland's artwork, but I understand that would be difficult to animate, so the style they've gone for actually works really well, and still looks a lot like Bolland's work.

Looks similar to Under the Red Hood, which had great art style. I started thinking of Bruce Greenwood instead of Conroy the second I saw the image!

I like the Under The Red Hood art style too. I've heard people complain that it's not in the Bruce Timm art style. That's like getting mad at Breaking Bad for not starring Jeff from Blues Clues. BTAS was dark, but it wasn't "let's paralyze a teenage girl and take creepy pictures of her and kidnap her dad and put him in an amusement park basically naked and then at the end we'll have an ambiguous ending that lets the viewer decide if Batman finally broke his rule to stop the Joker or continued on with the neverending cycle of temporarily arresting him until he breaks out the next day and kills more innocent people, and it will provoke though among the viewers as to what they would do in the situation and if it was worth Batman breaking his moral beliefs to save others."
That's not Saturday morning cartoons people. :oldyella:
DatBat

Favourite Villain: Clayface

Postby Remote Claw » Apr 3rd, 2016, 10:54 am

Remote Claw

Favourite Villain: The Joker

Postby DarkFlux » Apr 3rd, 2016, 12:23 pm

Bland animation style is dissapointing.
DarkFlux

Favourite Villain: Ras Al Ghul
Favourite Graphic Novel: Dark Knight Returns

Postby MaxSchreck » Apr 3rd, 2016, 12:27 pm

Nice...

Spoiler: show
I like how we see Barbara on a case at the beginning. Wonder what it is about, she seems pretty angry at that black haired dude. Its not like her to freak out and beat the crap out of somebody like that. I also like that the say that Joker has been in Arkham for two years. The whole revolving door trope has become so ridiclious in the comics its hard to take serious anymore. Speaking about stupid stuff from the comics, have you noticed how despite being considered on of the darkest Batman stories ever hardly anyone gets killed in this? If the Killing Joke was written today, by someone like Scott Snyder or Geoff Johns, Joker probably would have depopulated half of Gotham at the end of the story :oldyella:

Kinda agree about the Animation Style. Looks like a mix between Under the Red Hood and TAS.

"You may have invented being Robin , but I perfected it ." - Damian Wayne
MaxSchreck

Postby TheJester » Apr 3rd, 2016, 12:58 pm

DarkFlux wrote:Bland animation style is dissapointing.

Ditto; some scenes look good but the rest is very dull. I understand Bolland's style would be difficult to animate, but there's barely any detail to the character designs and background (bar the Funhouse, which looks incredible). I wish they'd perhaps stuck with the original orange and purple colour palette in order to make it look more lively.

Bar that, it looks fantastic! Really liking that we're going to see more of Barbara as Batgirl (voiced by the excellent Tara Strong no less), as it'll give more weight to her paralysis. Gordon's VA is also spot on; is he from the original BTAS cast too?

And of course, Hamill's voice work is great. The laugh he gives when he takes off the Red Hood sounds like it could be one of his greatest Joker moments.

I think they showed us far too much footage though, I'd have liked to not see some of the Funhouse or the end confrontation - especially considering they showed a clip of Conroy recording Batman's laugh :-|
~ I'm not mad, I'm just differently sane. ~
Check out my latest fanfic, Clipped Wings, here!
TheJester

Favourite Graphic Novel: The Killing Joke

Postby ChaosThe15th » Apr 3rd, 2016, 4:12 pm

Im so happy that my favorite graphic novel is getting a faithful adaption.

Also, it never ceases to amaze me how fuckin phenomenal Hamill and Conroy are in their roles. They are the voices I hear when I read Batman and Joker stories and in my opinion they are the best performers to ever play the roles.
ChaosThe15th

Favourite Villain: Mr. Freeze

Postby HaHaHa » Apr 3rd, 2016, 5:48 pm

Looks like Batman drives both Batmobiles from the animated series!
"don't you know I'm loco"
HaHaHa

PreviousNext

Return to Batman Movies Discussion